Roughneck93
11-22-2012, 09:17 PM
Texas tonight...:sleeping: :sleeping:

Matthew328
11-22-2012, 09:29 PM
TCU's not playing all that well either...hopefully they can pull it out

Spanish Camp
11-22-2012, 09:51 PM
2 middle of the pack teams pulling hair and scratching. Glad McCoy is now leading the team. At least he's a handsome devil.

Matthew328
11-22-2012, 10:04 PM
TCU is very middle of the pack but I think next year they'll be really salty.....

Spanish Camp
11-22-2012, 10:21 PM
TCU is very middle of the pack but I think next year they'll be really salty.....

I could get on board with that. TCU has a chance

texanpride1250
11-22-2012, 10:33 PM
I could get on board with that. TCU has a chance

I did not realize how young TCU is. They are going to be good over the next few years. Lots of freshmen getting valuable experience.

texanpride1250
11-22-2012, 10:35 PM
Dammit no McCoy magic this year.

Matthew328
11-22-2012, 10:38 PM
70% of the roster is freshman and sophs....to think they have 7 wins after losing over 20 players is amazing

Scoop27
11-22-2012, 10:43 PM
Brown and Diaz need to go-Horns were out played and out coached

Scoop27
11-22-2012, 10:45 PM
Have to give TCU defense for playing tough

Football fan
11-23-2012, 12:08 AM
Texas was dominated.

the genious
11-23-2012, 12:13 AM
Texas must have had to much Turkey.. Or they were looking forward to next week... Mack Brown can recrute any player in the nation and they have a below average O-Line, zero pass rush,& no DT that can stop the run just to name a few problems!

Rabid Cougar
11-23-2012, 09:45 AM
Mack Brown can recrute any player in the nation and they have a below average O-Line, zero pass rush,& no DT that can stop the run just to name a few problems!

And I am enjoying every minute of it.

Eagle 1
11-23-2012, 10:05 AM
originally posted by the genious

mack brown can recrute any player in the nation and they have a below average o-line, zero pass rush,& no dt that can stop the run just to name a few problems!

and i am enjoying every minute of it.

x2 :)

Rabid Cougar
11-23-2012, 10:14 AM
Here is something about what TCU's win means ....TCU went 45 years between wins against Texas at DKR Memorial Stadium.

Matthew328
11-23-2012, 12:48 PM
Stat is slightly misleading considering TCU has only played there once since they became relevant again...still a great night for TCU...I like Texas but a lot of their fans tend to piss me off with their entitlement and arrogant attitudes so last night was sweet

westcoast54
11-23-2012, 02:02 PM
I did not realize how young TCU is. They are going to be good over the next few years. Lots of freshmen getting valuable experience.

Patterson is a heck of a coach and he hires great assistants. TCU will be a major player in Big XII for years to come.

texanpride1250
11-23-2012, 02:08 PM
Patterson is a heck of a coach and he hires great assistants. TCU will be a major player in Big XII for years to come.

I have heard rumors of Patterson to Arkansas though.

Macarthur
11-23-2012, 02:37 PM
I will be shocked if patterson goes anywjere. Tcu is going to be a real threat in this conf.

1st and goal
11-23-2012, 03:00 PM
I like Texas but a lot of their fans tend to piss me off with their entitlement and arrogant attitudes so last night was sweet

You couldn't have stated it any better Matthew. Maybe it's the same fans that leave the games early, especially the cotton bowl game. Downright embarrasing.

texanpride1250
11-23-2012, 03:08 PM
You couldn't have stated it any better Matthew. Maybe it's the same fans that leave the games early, especially the cotton bowl game. Downright embarrasing.

I am a Texas fan and a lot of the fans piss me off. It is amazing how quiet 100K people can be. The basketball games are even worse.

texanpride1250
11-23-2012, 03:10 PM
I will be shocked if patterson goes anywjere. Tcu is going to be a real threat in this conf.

I would be surprised if he left for Arkansas as well. You couldn't pay me enough to live in hat state. But the lure of the SEC can be hard to turn down, which I don't get.

Rabid Cougar
11-23-2012, 03:15 PM

TCU will throw the check book and the bank at him if he even considers it.

vet93
11-23-2012, 04:09 PM
I think the Longhorns should go after Patterson. They won't...but he would help them to realize their potential in short order. His TCU teams are very well coached and they win with a balance of good defense and offense (granted the offense was not stellar last night).

LHPfactory
11-23-2012, 04:15 PM
Texas must have had to much Turkey.. Or they were looking forward to next week... Mack Brown can recrute any player in the nation and they have a below average O-Line, zero pass rush,& no DT that can stop the run just to name a few problems!

Yeah, Johnny football was to small to be a UT QB, that has to be hard to swollow these days.

texanpride1250
11-23-2012, 04:53 PM
Yeah, Johnny football was to small to be a UT QB, that has to be hard to swollow these days.

They wanted RGIII to be a WR/DB. I would love to have a coach like Patterson at UT. I like the guys that get the most out of their players. Mack is a great recruiter but too many guys seem to never realize their full potential. It gets frustrating.

Scoop27
11-23-2012, 05:02 PM
They (UT) seems like they always want the players to change positions

texanpride1250
11-23-2012, 05:45 PM
They (UT) seems like they always want the players to change positions

Of course hindsight is 20/20 but at the time Texas had Garret Gilbert committed. They knew RGIII was a great athlete and they have him an honest assessment of where he would fit in at UT. Now we all know how this one turned out. UT has lost out on several guys this way, by trying to be as honest as possible with these kids. Many programs tell these kids whatever they want to hear just to get them on campus. Personally I don't see why you wouldn't just give a guy a shot at competing. If it had not worked out for RGIII at QB he would/could be a great receiver. Of course we all now know that he would have won the job over Gilbert. UT has had success with some RBs turning into pretty good defensive players. Henry Melton is cashing some pretty nice checks right now from the Bears. But they did let him try RB and let him come to the conclusion on his own that he needed to make the switch. The same with Chris Whaley right now. Whaley just can't stop gaining weight. Not that he is lazy he is just a growing boy. By all accounts he works hard and finally just gave up trying fight what was happening with his body and went to the coaches and made the switch to the DL.

Most schools will have guys change positions. I remember a few years ago when half of TCUs team was a HS RB. Patterson just found good players and then put pieces of the puzzle where they fit. And Jerry Hughes fit quite nicely at DE.

Old Tiger
11-26-2012, 09:24 AM
Mack made a comment in a post game interview on 104.9 which pissed me off.

He said something to the extent of "the kids tried hard and that's why we were in it at the end. If they didn't try hard we wouldn't of been in it till the the end."

IMO this team looked flat the whole game minus the second half for the defense. Coming off of a bye week there is no reason they should have looked that unprepared.

Macarthur
11-26-2012, 09:39 AM
Stat is slightly misleading considering TCU has only played there once since they became relevant again...still a great night for TCU...I like Texas but a lot of their fans tend to piss me off with their entitlement and arrogant attitudes so last night was sweet

Those old stats are very misleading. Most folks don't realize what the college football landscape was like back before scholarship limits and some sort of recruiting limitations.

Macarthur
11-26-2012, 09:41 AM
TCU will throw the check book and the bank at him if he even considers it.

Yeah, I would not say that TCU could OUTBID UT, but TCU has a boatload of money. I've also heard that Patterson has his name on a couple of the oil/gas leases out west of FW. I don't know if that's true, but I do know that TCU being a private school allows them to do some things compensation wise that UT couldn't do.

He's building a new house in FW and his wife is a FW native. I would be very very surprised if he doesn't retire at TCU.

Buff42
11-26-2012, 11:06 AM
This speaks to Mack's talent evaluation/ positioning ineptness: There was a kid from Giddings who got lured to tu by Mack and his staff a few years ago. Had a brilliant high school career and was pretty much unstoppable in the open field. Sat on the bench his entire collegiate career. But he did get to run scout team offense when tu prepped for Baylor and RGIII. I am told his mastery of the veer/triple option attack left the horns first team D looking flatfooted and befuddled. Just another example of Mack stashing and/or misusing talent to his own demise.

In my opinion, and I've said this many times before in several places, Mack Brown is the most over-rated coach in all of college football. Vince Young carried him to a National Championship (the orange blood faithful who are honest with themselves will remember calling for Mack's skin just a few years before that time). Personally, I love the fact the tshirt teasips are so loyal to this guy- the longer he stays, the worse shape the program will be in. These are the same people who said it would be years before A&M would win a game in the SEC and the conference change was suicidal. Watch the recruiting game this year boys, it should be interesting.

:thumbsup:

Old Tiger
11-26-2012, 11:28 AM
This speaks to Mack's talent evaluation/ positioning ineptness: There was a kid from Giddings who got lured to tu by Mack and his staff a few years ago. Had a brilliant high school career and was pretty much unstoppable in the open field. Sat on the bench his entire collegiate career. But he did get to run scout team offense when tu prepped for Baylor and RGIII. I am told his mastery of the veer/triple option attack left the horns first team D looking flatfooted and befuddled. Just another example of Mack stashing and/or misusing talent to his own demise.

:

Brock's problem was he fumbled too much or else he would of gotten more playing time. He was a great HS player that couldn't make the transition. How often do college teams run veer/triple option? Not very.

1st and goal
11-26-2012, 11:58 AM
Brock's problem was he fumbled too much or else he would of gotten more playing time. He was a great HS player that couldn't make the transition. How often do college teams run veer/triple option? Not very.

Wrong. They tried to make him a receiver/returner and he didn't have good enough hands for that. Where are you getting this fumbling problem? Last I heard, you actually have to play on the field to be able to fumble.

Once, back when he was on the roster, I mentioned that they should have put him in the game and run the triple option/veer a few times. Somebody shot that down and stated it takes a whole different mindset for the Oline and it wasn't possible. Uhhh, hello (banging phone on desk),,, these are collegiate lineman are they not??? Can't train those 4 and 5 star recruits to run some option plays??? Guess I should've vented that on the old thread...

But yes, Mack WASTED that talent. 4.3 speed. quick and elusive and hard to bring down. Can't argue with his high school game film highlights.

Old Tiger
11-26-2012, 01:11 PM
Wrong. They tried to make him a receiver/returner and he didn't have good enough hands for that. Where are you getting this fumbling problem? Last I heard, you actually have to play on the field to be able to fumble.

Once, back when he was on the roster, I mentioned that they should have put him in the game and run the triple option/veer a few times. Somebody shot that down and stated it takes a whole different mindset for the Oline and it wasn't possible. Uhhh, hello (banging phone on desk),,, these are collegiate lineman are they not??? Can't train those 4 and 5 star recruits to run some option plays??? Guess I should've vented that on the old thread...

But yes, Mack WASTED that talent. 4.3 speed. quick and elusive and hard to bring down. Can't argue with his high school game film highlights.

The issues were in practice with the fumbles. Coaches couldn't trust him to see the field. He was never going to be a QB for Texas at that time and as I said earlier a great HS player that just couldn't make the transition. It happens all the time.

1st and goal
11-26-2012, 01:33 PM
The issues were in practice with the fumbles. Coaches couldn't trust him to see the field. He was never going to be a QB for Texas at that time and as I said earlier a great HS player that just couldn't make the transition. It happens all the time.
You don't have to be QB to be in a triple option play. He did not have fumbleitus in HS even when opposing D's were cramming the box. It doesn't happen often when you have a player of his running abilities. I've only seen it once at this magnitude. With Mac as head coach. I understood it maybe his frosh and soph years, but they beat him to a pulp on practice squads like Rudy and never gave him a chance on game day. I wish he had the opportunity to choose all over again. Wonder where he'd go if he had had forehand knowledge of the situation?

hookandladder
11-26-2012, 05:16 PM
I enjoyed watching Brock in high school however I always felted like he made a bad decision to go to Texas, if he had gone to a college that better suited his talents who knows what he could have done. Just think his decision to go to Texas was just a bad one, a great talent on the field.

texanpride1250
11-26-2012, 11:43 PM
You don't have to be QB to be in a triple option play. He did not have fumbleitus in HS even when opposing D's were cramming the box. It doesn't happen often when you have a player of his running abilities. I've only seen it once at this magnitude. With Mac as head coach. I understood it maybe his frosh and soph years, but they beat him to a pulp on practice squads like Rudy and never gave him a chance on game day. I wish he had the opportunity to choose all over again. Wonder where he'd go if he had had forehand knowledge of the situation?

I doubt he ever was hit as hard in HS as he was in college. Even if a team put 8 or 9 in the box to stop he was still the best athlete on the field in most of the games he played in. There have been plenty of guys better than him that didn't make it either. It does not take away from what he did in HS. But hundreds of "great" HS players come out every year that can never make the transition to the next level. Just seems a bit myopic to paint such broad strokes because the hometown boy didn't make it big at UT. Regardless of what he may or may not have accomplished on the field at Texas hopefully he took full advantage of that scholarship and got a good education. That is what really matters.

1st and goal
11-27-2012, 09:50 AM
I doubt he ever was hit as hard in HS as he was in college. Even if a team put 8 or 9 in the box to stop he was still the best athlete on the field in most of the games he played in. There have been plenty of guys better than him that didn't make it either. It does not take away from what he did in HS. But hundreds of "great" HS players come out every year that can never make the transition to the next level. Just seems a bit myopic to paint such broad strokes because the hometown boy didn't make it big at UT. Regardless of what he may or may not have accomplished on the field at Texas hopefully he took full advantage of that scholarship and got a good education. That is what really matters.

Brush it how you want but I still paint it in orange BOLD LETTERS A WASTE OF TALENT.

Macarthur
11-27-2012, 10:36 AM
http://www.star-telegram.com/2012/11/26/4440510/mack-browns-longhorns-lagging.html?storylink=addthis#.ULTUFIkajIY.twitte r

Right on cue.

Scoop27
11-27-2012, 11:56 AM
Great story and completely agree

1st and goal
11-27-2012, 12:20 PM
I've always liked the FW Star Telegram for some reason. I rarely read it though. Maybe I need to start.

Rabid Cougar
11-27-2012, 01:13 PM
Texas used to stock pile highly regarded players by the dozens just to keep them from going to Rice, Baylor and A&M. That was years ago before the scholarship limits. They still do it today to certain degree by recruiting players that they have no immediate need for, thus the large number of players who do not pan out and transfer. It is not just at Texas but also at a lot of the large popular schools. FCS/lower tier FBS schools are chocked full of them.

It really is up to the recruit, Do they want to go to the bright lights and wait if they are not "the man" or do they want to play? It is a very hard decision and I don't slight any one of them for thinking that they can cut it at the highest level. Sometimes they are sold a bill of goods , either to their abilities or their oppertunities. It is a crap shoot from both perspective though. I have had this very conversation a very knowledgable college football coach. I REALLY wouldn't wish the recruiting experience on my worst enemy and glad I do not have to go through it again from a parent stand point.

Buff42
11-27-2012, 04:34 PM

The point that you missed with my original assertion is using Brock's situation as a specific example for the general situation at tu. Mack hordes AND WASTES talent. End of discussion. Mac Engle says it best in the article MacArthur linked in Post #41, I wish I had the time to do the research he did and the ability to state my case as clearly and concisely as he did.

Mack Brown is the most ever-rated coach in football. And I'm glad all you tshirt teasips stand behind him- I hope you keep defending him for another 10 or 20 years.

Txbroadcaster
11-27-2012, 05:49 PM
The point that you missed with my original assertion is using Brock's situation as a specific example for the general situation at tu. Mack hordes AND WASTES talent. End of discussion. Mac Engle says it best in the article MacArthur linked in Post #41, I wish I had the time to do the research he did and the ability to state my case as clearly and concisely as he did.

Mack Brown is the most ever-rated coach in football. And I'm glad all you tshirt teasips stand behind him- I hope you keep defending him for another 10 or 20 years.

did you even read the article? HAs nothing to do with talent stock piling...all about the guys they did NOT go after who have panned out or in the process of doing that all at one position

for those saying Texas is stockpiling..please tell me what position? maybe RB but they use them all..but they have no depth across the board

Phil C
11-27-2012, 05:52 PM

Buff you must do more research and study to back up what you are posting. Shame!

Scoop27
11-27-2012, 06:13 PM
Buff is a typical Aggie fan

Matthew328
11-27-2012, 07:18 PM
Texas' problem is horrible talent evaluation the past few years. For whatever reason all the studs that they recruit out of high school simply dont pan out. It's hard to put your finger on one thing thats caused Texas to struggle but I'd say terrible evaluations/luck at QB and on the OL have been the main reason for the downfall

Scoop27
11-27-2012, 07:37 PM
That talent evaluation has a lot to do with the scouts who go to the high school games

Matthew328
11-27-2012, 07:54 PM
That talent evaluation has a lot to do with the scouts who go to the high school games

scouts being Texas coaches?

Weebe
11-27-2012, 08:47 PM
Buff is a typical Aggie fan

Please describe the "typical" Aggie fan.

Then describe the "typical" Longhorn fan.

Txbroadcaster
11-27-2012, 09:09 PM
Texas' problem is horrible talent evaluation the past few years. For whatever reason all the studs that they recruit out of high school simply dont pan out. It's hard to put your finger on one thing thats caused Texas to struggle but I'd say terrible evaluations/luck at QB and on the OL have been the main reason for the downfall

OL has been a issue since Colt's first year..the whole reason they went to that almost Tech style passing game was they had to get the ball out asap....they then decided to "toughen" up and become more power...i will never understand why they took a kid like Gilbert who at the time was a spread stud and put him under center

and to be honest..maybe the OL was not that good the VY years..he was able with his legs to make the OL look better than they were

Matthew328
11-27-2012, 09:19 PM
I agree with that take....Texas' OL has long been known as soft

texanpride1250
11-27-2012, 10:01 PM
Brush it how you want but I still paint it in orange BOLD LETTERS A WASTE OF TALENT.

Small fish in a big pond. If he were good enough he would have played.

texanpride1250
11-27-2012, 10:05 PM
Buff you must do more research and study to back up what you are posting. Shame!

Typical Aggie logic!

texanpride1250
11-27-2012, 10:13 PM
OL has been a issue since Colt's first year..the whole reason they went to that almost Tech style passing game was they had to get the ball out asap....they then decided to "toughen" up and become more power...i will never understand why they took a kid like Gilbert who at the time was a spread stud and put him under center

and to be honest..maybe the OL was not that good the VY years..he was able with his legs to make the OL look better than they were

OL has been an issue ever since he last of the guys from the '05 team left. If I remember correctly all of the starters from the NC played or is still playing in the NFL. I also believe they all were starters at 1 point.

I do think that the Mack Brown era has run its course. He will always be a legend at UT but he should take a page out of the DKR play book and ride off into the sunset. This years OU game this year solidified this in my eyes. You cannot be that unprepared for your biggest game. Then there was TCU debacle. UGH!

hsbtex
11-27-2012, 10:36 PM
Typical Aggie logic!
Better to have logic texan, than just liberal theories :)

hsbtex
11-27-2012, 10:43 PM

Typical aggie fan/student : well educated, conservative, prepared for life.
Typical longhorn fan/student : i smoke alot of dubage, i smoke alot of dubage...ALOT, and, check out the heroin drip i got installed yesterday.

texanpride1250
11-27-2012, 10:47 PM

The evaluation isn't the problem. Most of the players at Texas were highly coveted by most major programs and could have gone just about anywhere they wanted. The problem is what is happening to these guys once they get here. The player development has been lacking to say the least. Some areas have been worse than others.

texanpride1250
11-27-2012, 10:49 PM
Better to have logic texan, than just liberal theories :)

Liberal! Thems fightin' words!

hsbtex
11-27-2012, 10:52 PM
Liberal! Thems fightin' words!
Laughing :)

texanpride1250
11-27-2012, 10:55 PM

Typical Aggie-"loves" animals, would prefer the company of men, and thinks they are a branch of the military

Typical Longhorn-intelligent and capable of forming their own thoughts, can assess a situation analytically and form a valid argument other than tu sucks!

texanpride1250
11-27-2012, 10:57 PM
Laughing :)

I cracked myself up on that one!

hsbtex
11-27-2012, 11:01 PM
I cracked myself up on that one!
Same here :)

Old Tiger
11-27-2012, 11:03 PM

Texas OL recruiting in the early 2000s prior to Mac McWhorter was fantastic and paved the way for that MNC team. 3-4 of those guys have started in the league.

Weebe
11-27-2012, 11:04 PM
Typical Aggie-"loves" animals, would prefer the company of men, and thinks they are a branch of the military

Typical Longhorn-intelligent and capable of forming their own thoughts, can assess a situation analytically and form a valid argument other than tu sucks!

Did you graduate from Texas?

texanpride1250
11-27-2012, 11:20 PM
Did you graduate from Texas?

No actually I didn't. I never finished. Unfortunately I didn't take college seriously enough.

Weebe
11-27-2012, 11:22 PM
Then congrats, you are the typical Longhorn.

texanpride1250
11-27-2012, 11:30 PM
Then congrats, you are the typical Longhorn.

I know, my intelligence is evident even on this message board. Thanks for noticing.

Weebe
11-27-2012, 11:35 PM
I suppose that I shouldn't be surprised that you somehow equate intelligence with being a college dropout.

texanpride1250
11-27-2012, 11:45 PM
I suppose that I shouldn't be surprised that you somehow equate intelligence with being a college dropout.

I don't need a piece of sheepskin to validate myself. You are a fool if you think having a degree somehow makes someone intelligent.

Not sure when we decided to go from some good natured banter to personal attacks. Guess that comes from lack of intelligence. Could not come up with a valid argument so you resort to the personal attacks. Degree or no degree. So go F yourself!

Weebe
11-28-2012, 12:05 AM

Just responding to this assinine commentary.

texanpride1250
11-28-2012, 12:18 AM
Typical aggie fan/student : well educated, conservative, prepared for life.
Typical longhorn fan/student : i smoke alot of dubage, i smoke alot of dubage...ALOT, and, check out the heroin drip i got installed yesterday.

Just responding to this assinine commentary.

I was offering a differing point of view to this little jab at Texas. Again this was all in fun until you made it personal. Or did I hit a little too close to home?

Obviously not all Longhorns smoke weed just like not all Aggies have relations with sheep. Those are the ones y'all call two percenters, right?

1st and goal
11-28-2012, 01:02 PM
Small fish in a big pond. If he were good enough he would have played.

If you knew the difference between snakemeat and applebutter, I'd think twice about your statement. But you obviously don't have any inside knowledge to even form a decent opinion.

Phil C
11-28-2012, 02:34 PM

Weebe never heard about the ex Aggie that went there for one year during the early 1920s and dropped out and later became wealthy and when he passed away left A&M six million dollars. The Aggie joke at the time was when the A&M President was talking to the deans and professors told them "Be good to your A and B students because someday they will be a good professor for us. Be extra good to your C students because someday they will build a building for us. Be especially good to your drop outs because someday they will leave us millions of dollars."

:)

Phil C
11-28-2012, 02:38 PM
Now some of you stop these personal attacks and behave yourselves. You are worse than some of these posters that post things other than 3A high school sports. And this during important playoff times.

:flaming:

NastySlot
11-28-2012, 02:56 PM
Weebe never heard about the ex Aggie that went there for one year during the early 1920s and dropped out and later became wealthy and when he passed away left A&M six million dollars. The Aggie joke at the time was when the A&M President was talking to the deans and professors told them "Be good to your A and B students because someday they will be a good professor for us. Be extra good to your C students because someday they will build a building for us. Be especially good to your drop outs because someday they will leave us millions of dollars."

:)

Correction no such thing as an "ex" Aggie once an Aggie always an Aggie.

Phil C
11-28-2012, 02:58 PM
Correction no such thing as an "ex" Aggie once an Aggie always an Aggie.

Correction noted. I meant to say ex student. No disrespect intended.

NastySlot
11-28-2012, 03:04 PM
Correction noted. I meant to say ex student. No disrespect intended.

I know you weren't trying to be