PDA

View Full Version : Playoff Games on Thanksgiving Day?

Matthew328
11-20-2012, 11:18 AM
Thoughts on it?? I think its awesome when it happens..Celina used to do it quite often and two years ago Longview hosted a Turkey Day Playoff game...for those in Midland-Odessa...Littlefield and Merkel hook up Thursday night at Grande!

SHSBulldog00
11-20-2012, 11:22 AM
I'm not big on it. We use to practice Thanksgiving morning for our game that was usually on Saturday's at this point in the playoffs.

regaleagle
11-20-2012, 12:51 PM
Turkey Day already has a full slate of televised action starting with the Texans at 11:30 am. Then comes the Cowboys vs the Redskins @3:30 pm. After that we have the Longhorns vs TCU @ 6:30 pm. And the Jets vs the Patriots will be shown on the NFL Network starting around 7 pm. I'd say between the visiting, the food, and the football....not to mention the desserts.....that kinda fills my day and my belly, Haha.

Matthew328
11-20-2012, 01:01 PM
If I was in Texas I think I'd be taking the roadie out to Midland

NastySlot
11-20-2012, 01:01 PM
I ve seen a few on thanksgiving celina twice. Once v. Holliday in Bowie and celina v. Hamilton in cedar hill. Once watch fannindel v. Worthham at Johnson stadium in Garland..... That game sticks out Fannindel had small squad but some incredible athletes and size

YTBulldogs
11-20-2012, 01:18 PM
I'd much rather watch a HS game than a NFL or college game on T-Day.

Sweetwater Red
11-20-2012, 01:21 PM
If I was in Texas I think I'd be taking the roadie out to Midland

I'm leaning towards going back out there Saturday. I just have to decide whether to record Michigan vs. OSU or watch it live.

CLASS 5A

DIVISION I

Region I

Area

EP Franklin (10-1) vs. Arlington Bowie (10-1), 2 p.m. Friday, Midland's Grande Stadium

EP El Dorado (7-4) vs. Southlake Carroll (10-1), 6 p.m. Saturday, Midland's Grande Stadium

CLASS 4A

DIVISION I

Region I

Area

EP Chapin (10-1) vs. Amarillo (9-2), 2 p.m. Saturday, Midland's Grande Stadium

DIVISION II

Region I

Area

EP Burges (9-2) vs. Hereford (5-6), 7:15 p.m. Friday, Midland's Grande Stadium

CLASS 2A

DIVISION I

Region I

Area

Littlefield (8-2) vs. Merkel (8-3), 7:30 p.m. Thursday, Midland's Grande Stadium

Matthew328
11-20-2012, 01:23 PM
I think Chapin-Amarillo will be a very entertaining game...I think El Dorado is in for a long night vs Southlake

YTBulldogs
11-20-2012, 01:25 PM
I'm leaning towards going back out there Saturday. I just have to decide whether to record Michigan vs. OSU or watch it live.

CLASS 5A

DIVISION I

Region I

Area

EP Franklin (10-1) vs. Arlington Bowie (10-1), 2 p.m. Friday, Midland's Grande Stadium

EP El Dorado (7-4) vs. Southlake Carroll (10-1), 6 p.m. Saturday, Midland's Grande Stadium

CLASS 4A

DIVISION I

Region I

Area

EP Chapin (10-1) vs. Amarillo (9-2), 2 p.m. Saturday, Midland's Grande Stadium

DIVISION II

Region I

Area

EP Burges (9-2) vs. Hereford (5-6), 7:15 p.m. Friday, Midland's Grande Stadium

CLASS 2A

DIVISION I

Region I

Area

Littlefield (8-2) vs. Merkel (8-3), 7:30 p.m. Thursday, Midland's Grande Stadium

Too many EP schools involved to be worth a hoot and drive.

Matthew328
11-20-2012, 01:31 PM
Sweetwater_Red would agree with me on this point, the level of football in El Paso has improved a LOT...I think Chapin and Burges have great shots to advance...look at the 4 El Paso 5A schools vs. 2-5A...they were more than competitive winning 2 of the games and in the other two they were competitive games

Sweetwater Red
11-20-2012, 01:33 PM
I think Chapin-Amarillo will be a very entertaining game...I think El Dorado is in for a long night vs Southlake

My barber agrees. He has Amarillo as only a 10 point favorite while SLC is picked by 48.

Oddly Ratliff only has one game this weekend compared to five for Grande. Wonder why that is given they're only 20 miles apart.

CLASS 4A

DIVISION I

Region I

Area

EP Andress (7-4) vs. Lubbock Monterey (8-3), 1 p.m. Friday, Odessa's Ratliff Stadium

Matthew328
11-20-2012, 01:36 PM
Because compared to Grande, Ratliff sucks....Midland people are MUCH more hospitable also

Sweetwater Red
11-20-2012, 01:43 PM
Because compared to Grande, Ratliff sucks....Midland people are MUCH more hospitable also

Agree 100% on both. I was just looking at it from a coach's point of view. Like playing early or on a Thursday or Saturday vs. the opportunity to play at 7:30 on Friday or even Saturday night. I guess it doesn't matter to some coaches as much.

Matthew328
11-20-2012, 01:50 PM
it matters some...but I think facilities and overall experience matter just as much

Sweetwater Red
11-20-2012, 01:59 PM
Sweetwater_Red would agree with me on this point, the level of football in El Paso has improved a LOT...I think Chapin and Burges have great shots to advance...look at the 4 El Paso 5A schools vs. 2-5A...they were more than competitive winning 2 of the games and in the other two they were competitive games

Yes, The EP Montwood QB threw 6 picks against Abilene High and was still in the game until midway thru the fourth quarter. The final score was AHS 34-15.

Cooper was bigger and faster but only led EP Americas 26-21 after three quarters before scoring 14 in the the fourth to win 40-21.

lostaussie
11-20-2012, 04:09 PM
I ve seen a few on thanksgiving celina twice. Once v. Holliday in Bowie and celina v. Hamilton in cedar hill. Once watch fannindel v. Worthham at Johnson stadium in Garland..... That game sticks out Fannindel had small squad but some incredible athletes and sizeYou remember the years on Fannindel? There were a couple of years that they and Union Hill had some all out wars for the district title. Man I'm freaking old. That was long time ago. Good times indeed!!

lostaussie
11-20-2012, 04:20 PM
Only game I ever went to on Thankgsgiving was many years ago. Harmony was playing Cooper. Harmony was pretty good that year but got rolled by Bam Morris and Cooper. I left that night thinking Cooper was probably gonna win a 2A State Championship. They looked really good..............The next week I went to see Cooper again. They lost a close one to Rodney Thomas and Groveton, 82-6 :D So much for Cooper

bp80884
11-20-2012, 06:31 PM
I'd much rather watch a HS game than a NFL or college game on T-Day.

Agreed!

NastySlot
11-20-2012, 07:10 PM
You remember the years on Fannindel? There were a couple of years that they and Union Hill had some all out wars for the district title. Man I'm freaking old. That was long time ago. Good times indeed!!

I hear yeah...I guess I'm old also...but don't feel it.

Bull Butter
11-20-2012, 11:34 PM
When I was just a little Bull Butter, my hometown Agua Dulce Longhorns played Skidmore-Tynan in Bi-District on Thanksgiving night, 1970