PDA

View Full Version : WO-S vs Columbia

WOS1
11-18-2012, 10:25 AM
Don't know much about Columbia. I see from the stats that they are run oriented, but that's about all I know other than the last time we played them they were called West Columbia.

Any thoughts on this one?

scrub c
11-18-2012, 11:56 AM
Played two times in the early 2000's, WC was still 4A, WOS won both convincingly...
One was played at Pasadena, the other at Tully I believe.

Saggy Aggie
11-18-2012, 12:48 PM
Gonna be a low scoring game. Hopefully the necks can manage enough offense to pull out a W. Might try to make this one, idk.

yellaseeker
11-18-2012, 11:02 PM
Don't know much about Columbia. I see from the stats that they are run oriented, but that's about all I know other than the last time we played them they were called West Columbia.

Yeah, they are run oriented. Not that they have a QB that can't throw or guys that can't catch but for the most part, he doesn't have time to set his feet, much less take a second read. O-line seems to have protection issues and has seen it's fair share of false starts. Defense is pretty darn good against the run but a little less than average against the pass. Coming off of two great seasons with back to back state semi appearances. Last years defense was responsible for quiet a few points in a lot of games and the special teams were great last year and less than par this year. Edge goes to WOS but don't fall asleep. WOS1, tell me a little about WOS'S "O" and "D". Don't know who all they've played but 10-0 is an impressive record nevertheless.

NHSBulldog75
11-19-2012, 12:07 AM

The school is in West Columbia, but since the sixties its been Columbia High. CHS and WO-S first met in the '87 semis and the Stangs cleaned our clock pretty well. I know the folks from the Triangle play hard-nosed football, (I graduated from Nederland, so I have seen it first hand!) but the Necks have a fairly good squad themselves. Speed to burn, great coaching and the fans travel well. The Roughnecks are 8-3 with the losses all coming at the hand of ranked opponents. I hope that trend comes to a screeching halt on Friday. I have to call it a toss-up!

Necked
11-19-2012, 12:57 AM
its a bit disconcerting to see the offense still tinkering with the offensive line this late in the season, but they have to do what it takes to get the ball control working again. The Columbia defense is better than average, but as the 3 losses have shown they cant stay on the field too long or they start running out of gas in the 3rd & 4th quarters. Columbia has to shorten the game & limit the number of possessions, this is their only chance to beat WOS, or anyone else in this bracket...

WOS1
11-19-2012, 05:58 AM
WOS1, tell me a little about WOS'S "O" and "D". Don't know who all they've played but 10-0 is an impressive record nevertheless.

Well, it's no secret, the name of the game for WO-S is defense. The defense is very stingy with 8 shut outs in 11 games this year. I have seen LM on vid and we are very much alike. Not real big, but eveyone on the defense can run and they fly to the football. The defense puts our offense in good position many times with a short field. If they can keep you bottled up deep in your own territory all night you will be in trouble.

Offense, most will say, is our weak spot, but it has been gaining momentum recently. Early in the year we were starting 2 Sophomores on the O-line and one of our seniors quit the team so then we were down to 2 Sophs and a Jr with no experience. The last 5 weeks they have really started to come around and really arrived in our game against our district rival, Silsbee. We are probably around 60/40 run vs pass. I think our QB has around 1500 yds passing and over 2000 rushing as a team. Our QB also has only 1 INT for the season and 15-20 TD's.

I have been at all 3 of the Columbia vs WO-S games... LOL. Some of the players from the 87 games boys are on this team.

Roughneck93
11-19-2012, 11:16 AM
its a bit disconcerting to see the offense still tinkering with the offensive line this late in the season, but they have to do what it takes to get the ball control working again. The Columbia defense is better than average, but as the 3 losses have shown they cant stay on the field too long or they start running out of gas in the 3rd & 4th quarters. Columbia has to shorten the game & limit the number of possessions, this is their only chance to beat WOS, or anyone else in this bracket...

This pretty much sums it up.

Running the ball is what we do, if we can't establish that early, then I see a long, quiet bus ride home for the Necks. We can't leave the defense out there all night. We saw what happened in Hempstead, La Marque, and next up is that stingy WO-S defense. :eek: GATA Necks...can't wait!

Gsquared
11-19-2012, 11:22 AM
Well, it's no secret, the name of the game for WO-S is defense. The defense is very stingy with 8 shut outs in 11 games this year. I have seen LM on vid and we are very much alike. Not real big, but eveyone on the defense can run and they fly to the football. The defense puts our offense in good position many times with a short field. If they can keep you bottled up deep in your own territory all night you will be in trouble.

Offense, most will say, is our weak spot, but it has been gaining momentum recently. Early in the year we were starting 2 Sophomores on the O-line and one of our seniors quit the team so then we were down to 2 Sophs and a Jr with no experience. The last 5 weeks they have really started to come around and really arrived in our game against our district rival, Silsbee. We are probably around 60/40 run vs pass. I think our QB has around 1500 yds passing and over 2000 rushing as a team. Our QB also has only 1 INT for the season and 15-20 TD's.

I have been at all 3 of the Columbia vs WO-S games... LOL. Some of the players from the 87 games boys are on this team.

I sure do like the young back up QB at WOS. I could see the future of WOS when he was in when I saw them play Bridge City. Kid is gonna be special!

WOS1
11-19-2012, 01:33 PM
Chase is a football player, plain and simple. He will do what it takes to be successful. I'm surprised he has not taken our starting QB's spot yet, but it has, no doubt, made Jimmy a better QB because he knows Chase is capable and waiting in the wings. I know Chase very well and he understands it's not his time yet. But, next season he will have the keys to the kingdom. Let him get some reps under him and you will see what he can REALLY do...:2thumbsup

You will be hearing his name soon... Chase Rutledge. He is part of a very stout Sophomore group and they are already starting to make an impact this year on both sides of the ball.

Gsquared
11-19-2012, 01:47 PM
Chase is a football player, plain and simple. He will do what it takes to be successful. I'm surprised he has not taken our starting QB's spot yet, but it has, no doubt, made Jimmy a better QB because he knows Chase is capable and waiting in the wings. I know Chase very well and he understands it's not his time yet. But, next season he will have the keys to the kingdom. Let him get some reps under him and you will see what he can REALLY do...:2thumbsup

You will be hearing his name soon... Chase Rutledge. He is part of a very stout Sophomore group and they are already starting to make an impact this year on both sides of the ball.

Cant wait to see more of him. He got in a little late in the game against Bridge City but from the snaps I saw him take, I could just tell this kid has "it"

29-3aFAN
11-19-2012, 02:12 PM
pulling for the necks here!!

pirate4state
11-19-2012, 02:12 PM

Wish I could go watch yall play! It's been a little while since I've seen my WOS gang!!! :wave: Best of luck.

WOS1
11-19-2012, 06:44 PM
Wish I could go watch yall play! It's been a little while since I've seen my WOS gang!!! :wave: Best of luck.
Thank ya P4S!!! Yes, it's been to long, my friend!

WOS1
11-19-2012, 06:47 PM
Cant wait to see more of him. He got in a little late in the game against Bridge City but from the snaps I saw him take, I could just tell this kid has "it"
That's a great way to describe it. He just has those intangibles.

Necks88Fan
11-19-2012, 10:54 PM
I expect the roughnecks to be very much in this game until the last tic. Good group that play well together and coaches that will and can make adjustments in mid stride if need be. I like the roughnecks chances in this one. Limited penalties and zero turnovers is what i hope to see out of the squad this friday. Hit'em Hard Roughnecks and go get that "W"

Saggy Aggie
11-22-2012, 09:23 PM
It's decided that I will be at this one.

GO NECKS!

Roughneck93
11-23-2012, 06:46 AM
From The Facts...

Columbia, West Orange Stark expect low-scoring contest

By JOEL LUNA | Posted: Friday, November 23, 2012 2:00 am
WEST ORANGE STARK — If the defenses play like they should, it could be a low-scoring contest between Columbia (8-3) and No. 4 ranked West Orange Stark (11-0).
The Division II Class 3A Region III area round matchup with the Roughnecks and Mustangs will kick off at 6 p.m. today at Ray Maddry Stadium in Channelview.

The winner advances to the quarterfinal round against Lorena or Fairfield.

“The guys are really excited and we know it is a big challenge for us,” Columbia coach Randy Lynch said. “To be facing an undefeated team like that, the kids are looking forward to the challenge.”

It is quite a challenge. West Orange Stark has eight shutouts in 11 wins and is limiting opponents to 2.9 points a game, giving up 32 points all season.

Stark reminds Lynch of a district foe.

“I mentioned earlier this week that them and La Marque have some similarities, somewhat,” he said. “They love running to the ball very well and offensively they spread it around and have that tradition of winning championships.”

In their 57-0 bi-district shutout of Cleveland last week, the Mustang defense allowed just five total yards of offense.

Columbia’s Floyd Bess (1,312 rushing yards) and Broderick Thomas (871 yards) are hoping to put at least a dent into that vaunted Mustang defense. During last week’s win against Houston Kashmere, Lynch and his staff decided to go with the hot runner.

“We felt like Broderick was doing more between the tackles and of course he had that long 71-yard run for a score,” Lynch said. “But Floyd is not afraid to stick it in there as well. They are both going to be ready this weekend because it is a challenge for both.”

The offense did struggle to get going last week and the coaching staff is hoping that was a one-time thing.

“The biggest thing for us is doing our job and not turning the ball over,” Lynch said. “In those games that offensively we don’t play well in, we go back and turn the ball over. We cannot afford to place ourselves in third-and-long, and we made some adjustments during the bye week so we could be more balanced. Hopefully we can game plan better this week.”

One of those moves was 6-foot-5 Bernard Flores, who went from guard to center. Though he had played the position before, it still is different.

“When I played it, it was under center but here it is shotgun,” Flores said. “So for me it has to do with the snap and making sure I get it where it needs to be.”

Flores also rotates as a defensive tackle.

The Mustangs go as quarterback Jimmy Salter goes. Salter has thrown for 1,343 yards on 101 completions, 16 touchdowns and just one interception. He is also one of their featured runners, gaining 323 yards on 77 carries and 10 more touchdowns.

West Orange Stark’s main runner is Abear Simien, who has 446 yards on 70 carries for a 6.37 per carry average and six scores. Artevin McDonald (42-240, 5.71, four TDs) is another runner the Mustangs will use. There are three others in Quinton Tezeno, Maurice Morris and Chase Rutledege, who each have 100 yards or more on the ground.

Salter targets receivers J’Marcus Rhodes (36-638 yards, 10 TDs), Ra’shon McDonald (13-224, TD) and Remaine Anderson (14-157, three TDs).

“We have to continue doing what we do,” Lynch said. “Our defense has to continue playing well and we cannot turn the ball over and put our defense in bad situations. We cannot give them a short field and hopefully we can run the ball on them.”

http://thefacts.com/sports/article_007c859a-3527-11e2-823b-0019bb2963f4.html

Roughneck93
11-23-2012, 06:49 AM
From The Facts...

Roughneck defensive line plays big role in defining team’s identity

By JOEL LUNA | Posted: Friday, November 23, 2012 2:00 am
WEST COLUMBIA — Two solid bookends and a mixture of at least five to six defensive tackles make up a defensive line that continues to come up with big performances.
The Columbia Roughnecks handled Houston Kashmere last week, 33-6, thanks in part to a defensive unit that limited the Rams to 54 total yards.

With Jerry Wayne Cotten at one defensive end and Dennis Moody at the other, the Roughnecks have suffocated opponents with a big pass rush from the corners. Mix in defensive tackles Bernard Flores, Chris Hobbs, Nick Ornaski, Adrian Servin and Quinn Henderick, opposing runners haven’t found too many holes to get through.

“They have been playing well, but we had enough returning kids that the older ones have been able to help the younger ones,” Columbia defensive coordinator Chris Gerbich said. “Because we have been able to keep those two defensive ends at a constant, we’ve been able to do some different things with our tackles.

“Jerry Wayne of course has been great with the run and pass, and he has done a good job with Moody,” he continued.

Cotten got some valuable experience from the past two state semifinal teams, and it’s now come full circle in his senior year.

“I’ve been trying to use from what I’ve learned and it has really helped me this season,” Cotten said. “Helping the younger guys has been nice and some of them have responded pretty good. I think we are a pretty tight unit, and West Orange has not faced a defense like ours.”

Moody has been a big benefactor of Cotten’s experience since he is just a sophomore.

“It has been fun for me so far, and I’ve learned a lot from coach (Greg) Raley and Jerry,” Moody said. “They just tell me to keep playing hard and don’t give up on plays, and that is what I’ve done.”

In Week 4 this season, the Columbia defense topped the district by allowing opponents just 182.5 yards a game. They did not give up that position the rest of the way. The most they gave up during the season on average was 223, and the least has been 162.

Gerbich knows that his Roughnecks are going to have to be at their best to defeat the No. 4 ranked West Orange Stark Mustangs in their Class 3A Region III area round matchup today.

“They are a spread team that likes throwing the ball and they will either spread it out on you or run it. Hopefully we will have an idea from their formations what they are going to do,” Gerbich said.

One of the main reasons why the rotation at defensive tackle is that most play on the offensive line, including Flores.

“The biggest challenge playing both ways is the tempo of the game,” Flores said. “With a spread offense, they are going to be quick and with me playing more offensive plays, I still want to get out there on defense but sometimes it is tough because it is a tough game.”

The Roughnecks understand the challenge they face against the Mustangs today, especially from a quarterback such as Jimmy Salter, who has thrown for more than 1,300 yards with just one interception.

As a unit, the Columbia defense has given up 796 passing yards in 11 games, and it’s hoping to keep that same plug on the Mustangs today.

“Our defense has played well all year and along the way we’ve made some personal changes that have helped them,” Columbia coach Randy Lynch said. “We also made some changes on special teams and that helped us. We have some solid players on defense with Broderick Thomas at linebacker and Floyd Bess in the secondary. I just hope they keep playing the way they have all season.”

http://thefacts.com/sports/article_9286e7e4-3524-11e2-8d66-0019bb2963f4.html

Roughneck93
11-23-2012, 07:03 PM
Necks won the toss, will defer to the second half.