PDA

View Full Version : Notice to all playoff teams

OldBison75
11-18-2012, 12:42 AM
No matter how good you are, or think you are, you can never take winning for granted. Witness tonight - Baylor, the first team with a losing record at the time of the game to take out a #1 teams in NCAA history. The same Baylor that we all know has NO DEFENSE.

Stanford holds Oregon to only 14 points and wins in overtime 17-14. This is the Oregon that has dominated the west coast teams and put up a lot of points all year.

My real message to the Navasota's, Stephenville's, West Orange Stark's, Carthage's, LaMarque's and all the other teams still in the playoffs---A true champion plays every down of every game like they are the underdog. It is alright to be confident if you back it up with the way you play. Being cocky is believing that you can't be beat. There are a lot of teams that have players with special skills, but only a few that get the most out of every player on the team. Practice with pride, play with pride, but win or lose with class.

Aggie98
11-18-2012, 12:44 AM
Very true.

HEMOTOXIC
11-18-2012, 01:28 AM
No matter how good you are, or think you are, you can never take winning for granted. Witness tonight - Baylor, the first team with a losing record at the time of the game to take out a #1 teams in NCAA history. The same Baylor that we all know has NO DEFENSE.

Stanford holds Oregon to only 14 points and wins in overtime 17-14. This is the Oregon that has dominated the west coast teams and put up a lot of points all year.

My real message to the Navasota's, Stephenville's, West Orange Stark's, Carthage's, LaMarque's and all the other teams still in the playoffs---A true champion plays every down of every game like they are the underdog. It is alright to be confident if you back it up with the way you play. Being cocky is believing that you can't be beat. There are a lot of teams that have players with special skills, but only a few that get the most out of every player on the team. Practice with pride, play with pride, but win or lose with class.

:iagree:

toddg
11-18-2012, 05:22 AM

this message a week too late...whens our next basketball game?...thump,thump!

cowboyandchrist
11-18-2012, 07:40 AM

Carthage found that out Friday night. I hope all teams still left in the playoffs gets to read this. Good post. You must come prepared to play every snap of the ball.

raider red 2000
11-18-2012, 07:57 AM
This makes sense, but when some teams score 80 points in a game, the masses call it unsportsmanlike.

I agree anyone can be beat but I still like our chances with only 4 games left. Pretty sure we roll over Kennedale unless something goes terribly wrong. And Carthage was struggling in round 1 not playing solid football. Not sure about Kilgore yet but they have a shot just like the rest I guess.
One bad game and you go home. And we lost to a bunch of Mexicans so anythings possible.

Old Tiger
11-18-2012, 09:03 AM
Stephenville doesn't have to worry with that below average at best region they are in.

wimbo_pro
11-18-2012, 09:06 AM
This makes sense, but when some teams score 80 points in a game, the masses call it unsportsmanlike.

I think it depends HOW they score 80 points. Did they put in the 2nd and 3rd stringers? Did they run "trick" plays? Did they kick on-side kicks and go for two when they were ahead by 4 TD's? It's all about context.

Stephenville doesn't have to worry with that below average at best region they are in.

Thanks for the kind words.

raider red 2000
11-18-2012, 09:36 AM
I think it depends HOW they score 80 points. Did they put in the 2nd and 3rd stringers? Did they run "trick" plays? Did they kick on-side kicks and go for two when they were ahead by 4 TD's? It's all about context.
Might have to work on that stuff to get ready for te next week. Also might have to give the other team a bunch of extra crap to prepare for.
My boss asked me, "what do you tell your kids when you are down by 70 points?" I told him, "the same thing we tell em when we are up 70. You better be ready to do your best the next play."

raider red 2000
11-18-2012, 09:38 AM
One bad game and you go home. And we lost to a bunch of Mexicans so anythings possible.

???

Where is Pancho Villa.

WOS1
11-18-2012, 10:05 AM
That's a dang good post, my man. I hope you don't mind, but I stole it and put it on another board. One where people who need to see it, can...:2thumbsup

WOS1
11-18-2012, 10:10 AM
Might have to work on that stuff to get ready for te next week. Also might have to give the other team a bunch of extra crap to prepare for.
My boss asked me, "what do you tell your kids when you are down by 70 points?"

"Any suggestions?"

LOL... I saw a similar question like this on another board and someone gave that response... Thought it was hilarious... If you've ever been on the bad end of a lopsided game, you REALLY understand how funny that is!

raider red 2000
11-18-2012, 10:15 AM
"Any suggestions?"

LOL... I saw a similar question like this on another board and someone gave that response... Thought it was hilarious... If you've ever been on the bad end of a lopsided game, you REALLY understand how funny that is!
Unfortunately I have been on the bad side more often than the good side. The first time I was up by 70, i felt bad for the other team. Later that year we had 70 put on us, after 50 I just felt numb. Neither were real fun.

Phil C
11-18-2012, 10:16 AM
That's great oratory.

:clap:

WOS1
11-18-2012, 10:22 AM
Unfortunately I have been on the bad side more often than the good side. The first time I was up by 70, i felt bad for the other team. Later that year we had 70 put on us, after 50 I just felt numb. Neither were real fun.

No sir, not fun at the time, but it's good to laugh at our misfortunes on down the road.

What I think is so funny about that statement is that, although I never said it, I was sure thinking it... LOL

raider red 2000
11-18-2012, 10:33 AM
No sir, not fun at the time, but it's good to laugh at our misfortunes on down the road.

What I think is so funny about that statement is that, although I never said it, I was sure thinking it... LOL
They sure do make for memorable stories.

OldBison75
11-18-2012, 11:30 AM
Guys and gals, I think the main idea I was trying to get out in my little post was that high school football is played by a bunch of 16-18 year old kids that are still learning to deal with their emotions. It is so easy for these kids to have little things that happen change the level of confidence and the mental preparation needed to be a State Champion. I have seen hundreds of kids with the physical talent to play at the next level. I have also seen a very large percentage of those kids that, for whatever reason, could not harness that talent and play to the top of their ability consistently. I have also seen a bunch that were so convinced they were the best and one "reality check" turned them to just average.

This is a team game that requires that every person on the team, not just on the field on game nights, has to give 100% to the team concept. Every kid has to choose to do whatever it takes to make the team better, whether that is practice or games. A great receiver can not only run good routes and catch the ball, they have to be good blockers and sometimes good decoys.

When things are going good, it is easy to be a team player. When the team is having a tough night is when the team proves how good they really are. They come together as a team and pick each other up and find a way to success.

I wish all teams still in the hunt for that State Championship the best of luck. But, as fans, we need to support our kids and work hard to let them know that we may be disappointed that they fail, but we a proud that they played with their best effort and that they play with pride and class.

I will step off my soap box now!!!!

raider red 2000
11-18-2012, 01:44 PM
Guys and gals, I think the main idea I was trying to get out in my little post was that high school football is played by a bunch of 16-18 year old kids that are still learning to deal with their emotions. It is so easy for these kids to have little things that happen change the level of confidence and the mental preparation needed to be a State Champion. I have seen hundreds of kids with the physical talent to play at the next level. I have also seen a very large percentage of those kids that, for whatever reason, could not harness that talent and play to the top of their ability consistently. I have also seen a bunch that were so convinced they were the best and one "reality check" turned them to just average.

This is a team game that requires that every person on the team, not just on the field on game nights, has to give 100% to the team concept. Every kid has to choose to do whatever it takes to make the team better, whether that is practice or games. A great receiver can not only run good routes and catch the ball, they have to be good blockers and sometimes good decoys.

When things are going good, it is easy to be a team player. When the team is having a tough night is when the team proves how good they really are. They come together as a team and pick each other up and find a way to success.

I wish all teams still in the hunt for that State Championship the best of luck. But, as fans, we need to support our kids and work hard to let them know that we may be disappointed that they fail, but we a proud that they played with their best effort and that they play with pride and class.

I will step off my soap box now!!!!
Another good post. Lots of truth and knowledge in there. Only thing I would add, is that coming up short on a scoreboard might not equal failure.

Sville
11-18-2012, 02:29 PM
I concur with the OP. I know for one I took winning for granted in the 90's when Sville won 4 titles in 7 years. Never in my wildest dreams would I think we would go 13 years without getting past the 4th round. It really made me appreciate just how good my team was during that run and how difficult and special it is to get there.