View Full Version : Gatesville Vs. Vernon

Hornet
11-17-2012, 05:06 PM
Area Round Gatesville vs. Vernon 2pm Friday in Weatherford

Do not know much about Vernon, other than 9-2 record....any thoughts

VWG
11-17-2012, 05:20 PM
Vernon runs Wing T.
Trap, buck sweep, etc... but they have a good QB that will throw and that is what makes them dangerous.
With some run dominated teams they have problems being effective in the passing game. Kid from Vernon will make plays and find open receiver.
LB's are pretty solid on defense.

Hornet
11-17-2012, 05:32 PM
Vernon runs Wing T.
Trap, buck sweep, etc... but they have a good QB that will throw and that is what makes them dangerous.
With some run dominated teams they have problems being effective in the passing game. Kid from Vernon will make plays and find open receiver.
LB's are pretty solid on defense.

Thanks for the info....Hornets looking forward to the match-up. I know Maxpreps has them at 39 and they are pretty accurate this time of the year....The Hornets have matched up pretty well with a couple Wing/Slot T offenses this year...but neither had any passing threat to speak of.

83Indian
11-17-2012, 09:25 PM
Gatesville wins big. You have played your toughest game until the regional finals. You will see.

Gatesville by 21

outlaw
11-17-2012, 10:34 PM
Gatesville wins big. You have played your toughest game until the regional finals. You will see.

Gatesville by 21

Vernon wins this and exposes just how weak District 7 really is.

Deuce
11-17-2012, 11:09 PM
Hoping for a Vernon win here. They will have to play their best game of the year to do it. Good luck to the Lions!

83Indian
11-17-2012, 11:13 PM
Hoping for a Vernon win here. They will have to play their best game of the year to do it. Good luck to the Lions!

Contain the Gatesville Qb and they can win. Let him run around with over pursuit and he will wear them out. Basically beat us on 4 long pass plays after being flushed from the pocket.

Redzone10
11-18-2012, 12:03 AM

yep, all those wins District 7's best got against 2As shouldn't count

hollywood
11-18-2012, 11:00 AM

You mean Dist 8? Gatesville is in Dist 8

loyalfan
11-18-2012, 11:05 AM
yep, all those wins District 7's best got against 2As shouldn't count

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Gatesville didn't play a 2a school. Vernon did, however. Gatesville did beat a 4a school though so you're post is absolutely legitimate.

regaleagle
11-18-2012, 11:14 AM
Vernon lost to an athletic and speedy Gainesville team that has a pretty fair qb. I don't know how speedy Vernon is, or what kind of speed Gatesville has. But from what I have been able to read, the Gatesville qb is a good one and therefore must be fairly fast on his feet. We already know he can pass it effectively. I think Vernon will have trouble with Gatesville like they did Gainesville. Of course, Vernon has probably improved quite a bit since that Gainesville game, also. Sometimes, it takes certain teams longer to gel as a team than others....and I see Vernon as one of those types this season. I think they are playing at a much higher level now than in Week 5. This is officially going to be Week 12. Lots of room for improvement in that time span footballwise, doncha think? This game could be very close.

Hornet
11-18-2012, 12:43 PM
Not making any predictions other than Hornets will be ready. Alvarado game was decided by a few big plays...biggest, hardest hitting team G-ville has played this year. The game came down to a couple plays with momentum dramatically swinging back and forth all night. Indians were headed into score with 5 minutes to play when the wheels fell off...if they make that play...it could have been the Indians matching up with Vernon. As District 7....after it is said and done 3 of the Top 10 programs are out of District 7...although my Hornets are in District 8....we are hoping for a Regional match-up against Glen Rose...that would be a heck of a game...but Hornets have to take care of business for the next two weeks to get there.

#1 TEXAN
11-18-2012, 01:02 PM
Not making any predictions other than Hornets will be ready. Alvarado game was decided by a few big plays...biggest, hardest hitting team G-ville has played this year. The game came down to a couple plays with momentum dramatically swinging back and forth all night. Indians were headed into score with 5 minutes to play when the wheels fell off...if they make that play...it could have been the Indians matching up with Vernon. As District 7....after it is said and done 3 of the Top 10 programs are out of District 7...although my Hornets are in District 8....we are hoping for a Regional match-up against Glen Rose...that would be a heck of a game...but Hornets have to take care of business for the next two weeks to get there.

Gatesville is gonna have to get through Vernon as well as Glen rose has to get past Graham both of those games could go either way.

83Indian
11-18-2012, 02:14 PM

Hornet, that for the honest assessment and credit. You guys don't make mistakes and you have a great chance to get to the region finals or further. Very athletic and fast receiving crew got behind us all night. QB was as advertised and gives you a great chance to win. I don't see you facing a rushing attack like Alvarado until maybe the semi's if you get there. Good luck the rest of the way. Ill be rooting for my district 7 teams until they lose and GV after that.

Hornet
11-18-2012, 08:22 PM
Proceed with caution.....Padilla has Gatesville by 17 over Vernon....Glen Rose by 6 over Graham and Shallowater by 4 over Monahans...

COBRAFOOTBALL
11-19-2012, 08:39 AM
I have to go with GV. Very solid..

Cam
11-19-2012, 09:25 AM
Go Hornets!....

CenTexSports
11-19-2012, 09:29 AM
Question for Vernon folks. Back in the early 70's Vernon had a fullback/running back that was a 100 sprinter and won the state shot put. Vernon ran the "I" formation and this player would block the linebacker on the isolation. What was his name? He ran over me so many times, I have forgotten his name.

Thanks

LHPfactory
11-19-2012, 09:31 AM
Contain the Gatesville Qb and they can win. Let him run around with over pursuit and he will wear them out. Basically beat us on 4 long pass plays after being flushed from the pocket.

He can pull it out of his a$$ when he is under pressure, thats for sure. LH chased him like 30 yards behind the LOS and he still threw the ball accurate!

Gatesville will win this one big, as long as they dont have a let off after donkey stomping Alvarado.

LionFan72
11-19-2012, 09:38 AM
Havge to go with ---------
Gatesville 35-17.

Solid team with explosive offense.

Grahamcheerdad
11-19-2012, 12:20 PM
Vernon by 7 we want to play them again down the line

hollywood
11-19-2012, 01:13 PM
Vernon by 7 we want to play them again down the line

Lol.. you have to get past Glen Rose first. Gatesville wins this one by 14-21 pts. I think it'll be a Gatesville/Glen Rose quarter final. Could be wrong but won't be surprised.

toddg
11-19-2012, 01:23 PM
He can pull it out of his a$$ when he is under pressure, thats for sure. LH chased him like 30 yards behind the LOS and he still threw the ball accurate!

Gatesville will win this one big, as long as they dont have a let off after donkey stomping Alvarado.

apparantly you didnt see the game.

Rattler
11-19-2012, 02:12 PM
I'm going to go watch this game before heading to the Graham vs Glen Rose game. Gotta pull for our District. Go Vernon!

Rattler
11-19-2012, 03:10 PM
Ya'll come over to Springtown, after your game win or lose. Its a 20 minute drive north east. Your all welcome to sit on the Grahams side (Homeside) and support us kicking Glen Roses A$$. Game starts at 5:00

Hornet
11-19-2012, 03:45 PM
Glen Rose vs. Graham should be a great game....good luck to both teams, although I am hoping for a Glen Rose vs. Gatesville match-up in Region Quarterfinals.

LHPfactory
11-19-2012, 04:40 PM
apparantly you didnt see the game.

Didnt see it, but 48-28 right?

defense51
11-19-2012, 04:53 PM
Didnt see it, but 48-28 right?

That's correct, but there was a 28 point swing in the last 5:00 of the game. Tied at 28 with 5:00 remaining, then we had a meltdown and GV capitalized at every opportunity. GV is good, the QB is a stud and can move and execute under heavy pressure. If GV plays to their potential, and stops the run they win this one by 14 or more.

Eagle 1
11-19-2012, 05:17 PM
I'll take the Hornets again this week.

83Indian
11-19-2012, 07:07 PM

Gatesville will win this one big, as long as they don't have a let off after donkey stomping Alvarado.

He sure did and it was frustrating to watch. Heck he scrambled so long GV receivers got wide open like sandlot football. In reality those were basically the plays that won it. No long sustained drives. GV scores in 4 or 5 plays. We drive the entire field. This went on the entire game until the last few minutes. BTW, the last 14 points were a pick 6 and our failure to cover a muff on the kickoff. I guess the kid did not know he still had to down the ball. It was donkey stomp ugly. We have dealt em. We can take it!

Redzone10
11-19-2012, 09:17 PM
After reading 25 pages of other thread, gaining newfound respect for Alvarado and fans.

Hornet
11-19-2012, 09:44 PM
After talking "smack" all week last week I do have to hand it to the great fans of Alvarado....they have been very complimentary this week. Alvarado is a great team, Lee Hardy is a stud. Gatesvilles philosphy has been all season to get up by two scores and the pressure mounts on the opposing offense. Gville can take risks on special teams and defense because the offense can soore anytime from anywhere on the field.

Two different offense philosphy, power running (clock management) vs. spread....I do like our chances this week against Vernon. Ready for Friday!

hollywood
11-19-2012, 09:58 PM
After talking "smack" all week last week I do have to hand it to the great fans of Alvarado....they have been very complimentary this week. Alvarado is a great team, Lee Hardy is a stud. Gatesvilles philosphy has been all season to get up by two scores and the pressure mounts on the opposing offense. Gville can take risks on special teams and defense because the offense can soore anytime from anywhere on the field.

Two different offense philosphy, power running (clock management) vs. spread....I do like our chances this week against Vernon. Ready for Friday!

Hornet, I agree. And congrats again on the win. I like to talk smack as much as the anyone. In all honesty though, I knew after watching Gatesville vs Brownwood, ya'lls offensive would be hard to stop. Serious question, was there any point in the game last week where you thought Alvarado could win? As a fan, I know you believe 100% in your team, but was there a point where you thought, if we don't make a stop this could come down to who has the ball last?

Hornet
11-19-2012, 10:24 PM
Hornet, I agree. And congrats again on the win. I like to talk smack as much as the anyone. In all honesty though, I knew after watching Gatesville vs Brownwood, ya'lls offensive would be hard to stop. Serious question, was there any point in the game last week where you thought Alvarado could win? As a fan, I know you believe 100% in your team, but was there a point where you thought, if we don't make a stop this could come down to who has the ball last?

Yes, in all honesty with 5:32 remaining and Alvarado had 3rd and 4 and again 4th and 4 when we were tied at 28. I believe if the Alvarado kid makes that 4th down grab he is in and Alvarado has the lead. In essence if Alvarado gets up on that play and hold the Hornets you guys are playing this week. We knew that you all would be the best we had faced and most physical...and it would take a mistake free game on our part...but yes, most of us in the stands had a sick feeling with 5:30 left in the 4th.

Quite honestly....for the majority of the year the fan base has been surprised each week.....I do not think the fan base knew how solid we were...each week we expected to see a breakdown, but each week they have grown stronger and the team believes in themselves.

83Indian
11-19-2012, 10:39 PM
Yes, in all honesty with 5:32 remaining and Alvarado had 3rd and 4 and again 4th and 4 when we were tied at 28. I believe if the Alvarado kid makes that 4th down grab he is in and Alvarado has the lead. In essence if Alvarado gets up on that play and hold the Hornets you guys are playing this week. We knew that you all would be the best we had faced and most physical...and it would take a mistake free game on our part...but yes, most of us in the stands had a sick feeling with 5:30 left in the 4th.

Quite honestly....for the majority of the year the fan base has been surprised each week.....I do not think the fan base knew how solid we were...each week we expected to see a breakdown, but each week they have grown stronger and the team believes in themselves.

I can tell you on the Alvarado side, we felt we were about to pull off the upset. It was actually 4th and 1 and Dixon dialed up the play that has worked against everyone including Chapel Hill last year and well it was unfortunate what happened. We actually had third and 1 prior to that and missed another pretty wide open TE. Hindsight is 20 20. We could have easily just kept running and scored on that possession. We still had the chance to hold Gatesville and thats when you guys stepped up. You deserved the win. Pretty much how all the big games we lost went. We had the chance in everyone of them and did not execute when it counted. I'm planning on watching both games Friday so good luck. My daughter asked me on the way back home Friday night who we were going to go watch this week. Its going to be tough not seeing our boys out there but we love great high school football.

LHPfactory
11-20-2012, 09:25 AM
That's correct, but there was a 28 point swing in the last 5:00 of the game. Tied at 28 with 5:00 remaining, then we had a meltdown and GV capitalized at every opportunity. GV is good, the QB is a stud and can move and execute under heavy pressure. If GV plays to their potential, and stops the run they win this one by 14 or more.

Yeah, ive seen that happen.

If GV stays focused, they have a good shot at making the big dance.

Matthew328
11-20-2012, 09:36 AM
I think Gatesville takes care of business against a Vernon team thats really been a feel good story IMO..Its great to see them and Gainesville be relevant again...Cole Edmiston is a special player and he's a difference maker for the Hornets..

BTW go eat at Montana's in Weatherford before the game...cheddar fries....good stuff right there

Pendragon13
11-20-2012, 11:42 AM
I guess I'll have to go with Gatesville for this one based on their record and taking down a good Alvarado team. I have seen Vernon this year...sort of. They scrimmaged Wylie back in August and we won that battle (if you can win such a thing) but at that time I don't think anyone really knew just how good this years Wylie team would be...they have made several good teams look mediocre or bad. This should be a good game to watch for anyone going..

Steer81
11-20-2012, 12:40 PM
Graham Beat Vernon after Vernon went up by 14. The Way to beat to Vernon is get ahead and hang onto the ball. Vernon runs a LOT of time of the clock when they control the ball. If you get ahead and keep the ball out of their hands they run out of time. Vernon has great team and lots of good players but their offence is not set up to play catch up.

Hornet
11-20-2012, 12:44 PM
I think Gatesville takes care of business against a Vernon team thats really been a feel good story IMO..Its great to see them and Gainesville be relevant again...Cole Edmiston is a special player and he's a difference maker for the Hornets..

BTW go eat at Montana's in Weatherford before the game...cheddar fries....good stuff right there

Thanks for the info...The 2 pm game time messed up the wife's plans for Black Friday shopping...LOL....but we all would gladly trade "the deals" for a playoff game and WIN!

toddg
11-20-2012, 12:49 PM
Thanks for the info...The 2 pm game time messed up the wife's plans for Black Friday shopping...LOL....but we all would gladly trade "the deals" for a playoff game and WIN!

2pm start? my inlaws live in Aledo..might have to go see this game.

Hornet
11-20-2012, 01:00 PM
2pm start? my inlaws live in Aledo..might have to go see this game.

2pm is correct Weatherford ISD Stadium....fortunatly we will already in in the Ft. Worth area celebrating "Turkey Day"....

Dominicfrank
11-20-2012, 08:40 PM
Sorry but you must not have watched the Gainseville game, Vernon held them in check all game, they scored on a late first half turnover and one long play. Other than that Vernon stopped Gainsville all night. it was a 14-13 game where Vernon missed the EP (kicker is a BIG problem for them but oddly can hit 45 yarders, very odd situation there). Vernon was also without their best RB Orlando who went out with a concussion.

Vernon lost to an athletic and speedy Gainesville team that has a pretty fair qb. I don't know how speedy Vernon is, or what kind of speed Gatesville has. But from what I have been able to read, the Gatesville qb is a good one and therefore must be fairly fast on his feet. We already know he can pass it effectively. I think Vernon will have trouble with Gatesville like they did Gainesville. Of course, Vernon has probably improved quite a bit since that Gainesville game, also. Sometimes, it takes certain teams longer to gel as a team than others....and I see Vernon as one of those types this season. I think they are playing at a much higher level now than in Week 5. This is officially going to be Week 12. Lots of room for improvement in that time span footballwise, doncha think? This game could be very close.

Dominicfrank
11-20-2012, 08:48 PM
Glad to see the Graham support for Vernon, It has always been that way with this district. Hate each other during the season then pull for everyone once the playoffs start. Graham has a solid team and I look for them to beat Glen Rose.

I will do my best to get to both games, might have to miss the first quarter but will get over there asap.

Good luck Graham.

Hornet
11-20-2012, 09:26 PM
The Hornets will be all over Vernon like Uncle Si on a glass of tea!

Dominicfrank
11-20-2012, 10:06 PM
The Hornets will be all over Vernon like Uncle Si on a glass of tea!

Now of course I think its the other way around but that was funny. That man can REALLY drink some tea ! Maybe the greatest show on TV and one of the best all time.

Hornet
11-20-2012, 10:17 PM
Now of course I think its the other way around but that was funny. That man can REALLY drink some tea ! Maybe the greatest show on TV and one of the best all time.

I really think it will be a good game. I just had to use that line somewhere and yes, DD is the best!

Rattler
11-21-2012, 11:47 AM
Good game here. Ill be attending this game before the Graham / Glen Rose Game.
And I would like to invite everyone to come to the Graham / Glen Rose Game afterwards. Its just a little north east of you in Springtown. Graham is home team. Starts at 5:00 pm.

garciap77
11-21-2012, 11:44 PM
Vernon!

Hornet
11-22-2012, 12:58 AM
Gatesville boys cofience grows each week. These kids believe in themselves. Gatesville beat one heck of a Alvarado team last week. Watch out Lions, the SWARM is on its was to a Area Showdown w the Lions.

defense51
11-22-2012, 03:37 AM
Good luck Hornets, play like you did last week against the Indians and you have the momentum to ride this a long way! I think Gatesville wins this one 35-14.

toddg
11-22-2012, 11:06 AM
Happy thanksgiving! Good luck to both teams tomorrow!

hollywood
11-22-2012, 08:33 PM
PLAYOFF FOOTBALL CAPSULES

By Zach Duncan
Published Thursday, November 22, 2012

CLASS 3A DIVISION II

VERNON (9-2) vs. GATESVILLE (11-0)

Game Site: Weatherford

Kickoff Time: 2 p.m. Friday

Last week: Vernon forced six turnovers in a 55-28 victory over Springtown. Gatesville scored three touchdowns in the last 5:11 to pull away from Alvarado, 48-28.

Game Summary: While Vernon has enjoyed quite a turnaround this year, Gatesville has also been a big surprise after going 4-6 a year ago. The Hornets haven't enjoyed a season like this since their state title in 2000. With 26 seniors, Gatesville is a veteran bunch that runs multiple formations on offense, from the I to no-back. Quarterback Cole Edmiston, who threw for 273 yards and five touchdowns last week, has a bunch of weapons in the passing game, and he and RB Jake Kee account for almost all of the Hornets' 1,800 rushing yards. Gatesville is also stout up front, meaning the holes won't be as wide as they were versus Springtown. Vernon might be a Wing-T power team, but QB Brandon Urquizo has thrown for 1,216 yards and can really stretch out a defense. Gatesville enters as the favorite, but if the Lions can move the ball and force Gatesville into turnovers like it did last week, Vernon will certainly have a chance to win.

Players to Watch: (V) DB Tyrone McFarland; RB/LB Orlando Haymon; RB Danny Valverde; (G) WR/DB Kael Byrom; DL Scott Shults; DE Cutter Shaw.

Coach's Quote: "They remind us of us a lot. They're not real big but they play real hard and don't make a lot of mistakes. It should be a heck of a game." — Vernon's Mark Bateman

Pigskin Prep says: Gatesville by 13.

Hornet
11-22-2012, 11:01 PM
Hornets are ready. Band, cheer and dance are ready. The entire town is ready. Community send off for Hornets at 815!

I predict 48-21 Hornets, the Swarm advances to Regionals!

Hornet
11-23-2012, 09:28 PM
Hornets down Vernon 40 - 28 to advance to Regional Quarterfinals. Vs. Monahans. Hornets controlled the game start to finish. HFND

cr180t
11-23-2012, 09:34 PM
Where is the game with te lobos at

Tin Cup
11-23-2012, 09:37 PM
Shotwell Abilene 7:30 Friday

cr180t
11-23-2012, 09:47 PM
Shotwell Abilene 7:30 Friday

Thanks

83Indian
11-23-2012, 10:16 PM
Hornets down Vernon 40 - 28 to advance to Regional Quarterfinals. Vs. Monahans. Hornets controlled the game start to finish. HFND

Congrats Hornets!

Dominicfrank
11-24-2012, 11:37 AM

While I think Gatesville is simply the better team I think this game was a game and Vernon came to play offensivly in the second half and had Gatesville on their heels after a touchdown and forcing a three and out to get the ball back early in the second. The game changed big time on the false start on 4th and 2 for Vernon. That showed what the biggest difference between these two teams......coaching. Gatesville played a VERY VERY clean game. They remind me of Graham in that regard, they didnt make many mistakes at all. You could tell the routes were well ran and kids were where they were supposed to be at all times.

Vernon got hosed on two no call pass interference calls in the first half and hosed even more so on a phantom pass interference call against us on third down in the second half. Brandon #15 was 5 yards away from the guy and was called for holding. You hate to see that kind of thing happen but it was just the worst call to keep a drive alive for Gatesville. Together it could have made a difference but Vernon made so many other mistakes.

As for Vernon, the first half was a coaching disaster and lost them the game. The play calling was the worst we have seen in years and that is saying a lot. In the second half you saw the coaches finally start to run Brandon #15 who got all he wanted and it showed as Gatesville got bet up and outscored.

That second half is why I think Gatesville is not a state champion caliber team. Sorry to be so blunt but that is the truth. The QB was very good and #21 was a solid RB that hits the whole like drawn up. Against a better defense and they lose and against a team with a good offense on top of a good defense and they lose by a couple of touchdowns. If Vernon could have stopped the run game even a little and they win.

Gatesville deserves to be taken seriously and will be a tough out, I really enjoyed watching them play, they are so well coached. Vernon had a great season and it was sad to see the coaches call such a bad game in the first half. They made Vernon proud after three seasons of a failed passing scheme. I hear the JV team is salty and we get a good group back for next year so hope this is a sign of many more years of Vernon back as a top 10 program.

Good luck to Gateville, as always if you have to lose let it be to the State Champ so I will be pulling for them to win it all.

defense51
11-24-2012, 12:17 PM
Congrats to Gatesville on another solid win!

Hornet
11-24-2012, 07:25 PM
While I think Gatesville is simply the better team I think this game was a game and Vernon came to play offensivly in the second half and had Gatesville on their heels after a touchdown and forcing a three and out to get the ball back early in the second. The game changed big time on the false start on 4th and 2 for Vernon. That showed what the biggest difference between these two teams......coaching. Gatesville played a VERY VERY clean game. They remind me of Graham in that regard, they didnt make many mistakes at all. You could tell the routes were well ran and kids were where they were supposed to be at all times.

Vernon got hosed on two no call pass interference calls in the first half and hosed even more so on a phantom pass interference call against us on third down in the second half. Brandon #15 was 5 yards away from the guy and was called for holding. You hate to see that kind of thing happen but it was just the worst call to keep a drive alive for Gatesville. Together it could have made a difference but Vernon made so many other mistakes.

As for Vernon, the first half was a coaching disaster and lost them the game. The play calling was the worst we have seen in years and that is saying a lot. In the second half you saw the coaches finally start to run Brandon #15 who got all he wanted and it showed as Gatesville got bet up and outscored.

That second half is why I think Gatesville is not a state champion caliber team. Sorry to be so blunt but that is the truth. The QB was very good and #21 was a solid RB that hits the whole like drawn up. Against a better defense and they lose and against a team with a good offense on top of a good defense and they lose by a couple of touchdowns. If Vernon could have stopped the run game even a little and they win.

Gatesville deserves to be taken seriously and will be a tough out, I really enjoyed watching them play, they are so well coached. Vernon had a great season and it was sad to see the coaches call such a bad game in the first half. They made Vernon proud after three seasons of a failed passing scheme. I hear the JV team is salty and we get a good group back for next year so hope this is a sign of many more years of Vernon back as a top 10 program.

Good luck to Gateville, as always if you have to lose let it be to the State Champ so I will be pulling for them to win it all.

I will admit Vernon had a good defensive scheme against the Gatesville pass and took away the deep threat. However, Gatesville is not a one dimensional team, they can beat you with the pass or the run. Vernon was a solid team. IMO Gatesville's offense was not clicking on all cylinders Friday afternoon. Many of the short throws were high, normally those are 100% on target...this may have had more to do with Vernon's scheme or with plays being a bit of of sync.

Best of luck to Vernons seniors!