PDA

View Full Version : El Campo vs Somerset

Spanish Camp
11-17-2012, 09:28 AM
I don't think I have seen much talk of Somerset on this board. How do you see this matchup?

Scoop27
11-17-2012, 10:45 AM
When and were is this game at?

bird_fan
11-17-2012, 11:03 AM
friday in bastrop

YTBulldogs
11-17-2012, 02:54 PM
El Campo Big

But, Somerset will score, cause EC can be thrown on "if" given time. #6 from EC is unstoppable. Put 3 on him would be wise IMO.

60-28 Ricebirds.

New Taiton
11-17-2012, 03:18 PM
Scoop picks against EC every week; he has some sort of vendetta against the birds.

EC by 14.

YTBulldogs
11-17-2012, 03:24 PM
Scoop picks against EC every week; he has some sort of vendetta against the birds.

EC by 14.

Or, the newspaper there. LOL!!!!

Mojo84
11-17-2012, 04:40 PM
I would like to see this game. Somerset manhandled Boerne last night. Not sure exactly what happened but we didn't look anything like the team that took Wimberley to the wire last week. They manhandled us in a way I never would have expected.

Their oline is big, strong and executed very well. Their primary runningback is quite a bit bigger than anyone on our defense.

Should be a good game.

Old Green
11-17-2012, 07:28 PM
The Rb is very good. He's big with a little speed and hard to bring down. Detmer is a very accurate passer with too tall recievers to throw to.

SHSBulldog00
11-17-2012, 11:11 PM
Do we have a time yet?

Los Owls
11-18-2012, 10:20 AM
Detmer wil tear you apart if you give him time to throw..Hondo blitzed him and pressured him all night long,had Detmer on the ground most of the night..The owls messed up on one play at the end and Detmer burned them on a 80 plus TD..Luckily,Hondo came back on scored to win the game..Pressure on Detmer will be the key.

Spanish Camp
11-18-2012, 12:07 PM
I was shocked at the Boerne score as well. Don't know anything about either team, but shocked that Boerne did so poorly.

I predict an EC win. I hope EC can put together a good, complete showing. EC is pretty salty at times, but has also stopped themselves throughout the year with uncharacteristic turnovers.

bird_fan
11-18-2012, 05:40 PM
as usualim a homer EC by 2 TD I expect EC to use their ball control offense to keep De6tmer off the field where e cant hurt us or get in sync with the offense ande pressure him when he goes back to pass

Saggy Aggie
11-18-2012, 06:09 PM
Or, the newspaper there. LOL!!!!

Lmao yep

Manso/V8
11-18-2012, 07:52 PM

EC by 14.

Yeah, but I like Scoop, very consistent and adds a different flavor to the board. He's the real bees knees and the cat's meow. You won't catch him dancing the Charleston in a speakeasy all loopy on bath tub gin and juice, thats for sure!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKkZTX4AzWc&feature=relmfu

SintonFan_inAustin
11-18-2012, 08:40 PM
he's the real bees knees and the cat's meow. You won't catch him dancing the charleston in a speakeasy all loopy on bath tub gin and juice, thats for sure!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkkztx4azwc&feature=relmfulol!!!!

hookandladder
11-19-2012, 07:21 AM
Detmer wil tear you apart if you give him time to throw..Hondo blitzed him and pressured him all night long,had Detmer on the ground most of the night..The owls messed up on one play at the end and Detmer burned them on a 80 plus TD..Luckily,Hondo came back on scored to win the game..Pressure on Detmer will be the key.

The key word here is given time, we did not have much time to throw the ball. As stated earlier you will need to double or maybe thriple team Hunt to give your QB time, QB must get rid of the ball quick. The middle seemed like the weak spot in EC's secondary , we just did not have enough pure athlete's to stack up to EC. They are beatable but it will take a team who can shut down their running game, EC passing game did not look good at all ( 0-4 ). Definitely see EC big in this game, 3 to 4 Td's.

Scoop27
11-19-2012, 11:10 AM
Turnovers played a big part in El Campo's win over La Grange.
The Ricebirds didn't score in second half as the Leopards played great on defense.
With this said, I'm going with the Ricebirds.
Don't know much about Somerset

Aggie98
11-19-2012, 11:15 AM
Is the Detmer kid any relation to Ty or Koy?

Roughneck93
11-19-2012, 12:12 PM
Is the Detmer kid any relation to Ty or Koy?

Koy's son.

Saggy Aggie
11-19-2012, 02:04 PM
Rice birds by at least 3 tds

29-3aFAN
11-19-2012, 02:05 PM
El Campo by 25

Los Owls
11-19-2012, 07:51 PM
This should be a game to go see...

. Koy Detmer Jr., Somerset: 13 of 23 passing, 168 yards, 5 TDs
The latest in a long line of Detmer QBs may only be a sophomore, but he could be the area’s most accurate passer, out-dueling fellow sophomore sensation Quinten Dormady of Boerne last week. He also has a favorite target

Manso/V8
11-19-2012, 09:10 PM
Turnovers played a big part in El Campo's win over La Grange.
The Ricebirds didn't score in second half as the Leopards played great on defense.
With this said, I'm going with the Ricebirds.
Don't know much about Somerset

i am constantly amazed when people quote turnovers as an excuse that a team won or lost.
Turnovers are a major factor in who wins or loses a game.

If a team turns the ball over a lot, especially at the wrong time, the odds are that team will probably lose.
Holding on to the ball and creating turnovers is part of being a good football team.

Football fan
11-19-2012, 09:13 PM
El Campo had two turnovers in the second half, but those don't count.

Pudlugger
11-20-2012, 10:04 AM
i am constantly amazed when people quote turnovers as an excuse that a team won or lost.

If a team turns the ball over a lot, especially at the wrong time, the odds are that team will probably lose.
Holding on to the ball and creating turnovers is part of being a good football team.

I don't see the problem here Manso. As you say turnovers are part of the game. Make them and you lose. The EC/LG game is a perfect example as the Ricebirds capitalized on the Lep's turnovers and bad snap to the tune of 21 points. Without those errors the Leps might have won. The turnovers were the difference in the game and not an excuse for losing. They were part of the game and a big part of LG losing. Why is that making excuses? It is okay for you as someone from Bellville and not a Lep fan to say the turnovers count but it is making excuses when someone from La Grange says they count as contributing to the lose? I don't get it. seems like heads you win tails you lose. Leps blew it with costly errors in turnovers and snaps with the first 4 touches of the football in that game. Just part of the game. No excuses made the Leps blew it and EC capitalized. EC was the better team. Let's move on.

Manso/V8
11-20-2012, 10:51 AM
I don't see the problem here Manso. As you say turnovers are part of the game. Make them and you lose. The EC/LG game is a perfect example as the Ricebirds capitalized on the Lep's turnovers and bad snap to the tune of 21 points. Without those errors the Leps might have won. The turnovers were the difference in the game and not an excuse for losing. They were part of the game and a big part of LG losing. Why is that making excuses? It is okay for you as someone from Bellville and not a Lep fan to say the turnovers count but it is making excuses when someone from La Grange says they count as contributing to the lose? I don't get it. seems like heads you win tails you lose. Leps blew it with costly errors in turnovers and snaps with the first 4 touches of the football in that game. Just part of the game. No excuses made the Leps blew it and EC capitalized. EC was the better team. Let's move on.

Pud - My comment wasn't directly specifically at LaGrange, and I certainly didn't intend to get under your skin. My comment was about the tendancy of folks (at least on here) to talk about how a game would have turned out, or the result would have been different if it weren't for turnovers, like they are some huge anomaly. Some turnovers just happen, some are forced, some are more likely depending on the style of offense and style of play, or the aggressiveness of the defense. Folks picked apart our win over Wharton because Grissom was out (and rightly so), but comments were made that our 4 picks wouldn't have happened if he was in the game, when I believe Yoakum picked Grissom 3 times last Saturday. Folks commented that our 4 picks against Cuero was the difference in the game, but if the truth be told, those picks occurred because our d-line was putting tons of pressure on the QB forcing him to make some poor decisions..............and if you are going to pass a lot, especially more than you should or want to because you are behind, as was the case in our game against Cuero, you expose yourself to more potential picks. Cuero also had 2-3 bad snaps out of the shotgun, which is the risk you take if you run that type of offense. Bad snaps out of the shotgun are a lot more common than bad snaps under center, even in the NFL. As far as the EC - LG game, of course turnovers were a factor, but their seems to be more discussion about LG's turnovers impacting the game than EC's turnovers, which I guess they had two in the second half. And look, I am a La Grange fan. Winning your district, and being rewarded with the D-1 bracket spot and El Campo in the first round was a tough draw. EC has an enrollment and physical size advantage over most 3a schools, not just because they were 4a last year, but they have a good crop this year and my impression is that EC would have made a pretty good playoff run in 4a this year as well. I would have rather seen LG go D2 so that we might have had the chance to meet up in the R4 bracket if things went well for both teams.........but I didn't want that to happen in the first round! I was really concerned that we would get the 2nd d2 spot in our district and face LG in the first round. I think it is a real shame the Leps aren't playing any longer after the season they had this year and reading the Pudlugger and Hook posts are always interesting.

Pudlugger
11-20-2012, 11:11 AM
Yes I agree regarding the woulda coulda shoulda ethos often displayed on these threads when a team has a disappointing loss. You can't have a meaningful discussion of the outcome of a game without taking into consideration errors, penalties, bad luck and trunovers which among other things like talent, size, coaching and athleticism are all part of the game. But it will sound rather pitiful if you try to make the case that somehow these factors have more to do with "beating one's self" rather than the result of being outplayed by the victor. I think the Leps were shocked at how physical El Campo was in the opening minutes and just got beat up and failed to execute. It was a matter of not being mentally prepared for the level of play from El Campo. The Ricebirds just blew LG away in the first 6 plays from scrimmage. It blew their minds and everything just fell away until the last 4 minutes of the quarter when they finally got focused and settled down to play. Too bad for LG but there is always next year when the Leps will be as good or better than 2012. Oh and for those folks in Gonzales please make the playoffs so we don't face EC again in round one D1.

Football fan
11-20-2012, 11:50 AM
El Campo is losing a lot and has a pretty weak senior class coming up next year.

That may be the year to catch them in the playoffs.

Although, Gillis always seems to get the most out if his talent. He did it for years in 4A while consistently playing teams with more talent than EC.

Manso/V8
11-20-2012, 12:39 PM
Yes I agree regarding the woulda coulda shoulda ethos often displayed on these threads when a team has a disappointing loss. You can't have a meaningful discussion of the outcome of a game without taking into consideration errors, penalties, bad luck and trunovers which among other things like talent, size, coaching and athleticism are all part of the game. But it will sound rather pitiful if you try to make the case that somehow these factors have more to do with "beating one's self" rather than the result of being outplayed by the victor. I think the Leps were shocked at how physical El Campo was in the opening minutes and just got beat up and failed to execute. It was a matter of not being mentally prepared for the level of play from El Campo. The Ricebirds just blew LG away in the first 6 plays from scrimmage. It blew their minds and everything just fell away until the last 4 minutes of the quarter when they finally got focused and settled down to play. Too bad for LG but there is always next year when the Leps will be as good or better than 2012. Oh and for those folks in Gonzales please make the playoffs so we don't face EC again in round one D1.

I think we lost to EC 28-7. We experienced the same thing right at the start of the game. I think the Bellville kids came in to the game a bit intimidated, most were overwhelmed in the initial series by EC's physical style of play, and I think even the coaches made some bad decisions to start the game. We took the kick-off, and our returner tried to run it out of the endzone instead of taking a knee, that put us at about the 10. We tried an off-tackle play (who would have guessed we would have done that?!!), and got stopped for a yard or two loss. Then for some reason we try to pass, which we had not yet demonstrated we could, and our QB was immediately sacked for a loss backing us up near our goal line. The next running play was a bust, and all of sudden we are punting out of our own endzone on the fourth play of the game. Not a great punt, and EC had a short field. Our stud SS/CB gets the tackle on our first defensive play, and then sprains his ankle bad on the second defensive play. He was out for the game, and didn't return to action until the Sealy game. EC powered their way in to the endzone and before we knew it, we were down and a little bummed because lossing the SS limited our ability to prevent them from getting the edge and hurt our pass coverage since some kids who didn't expect to see the field were thrown in to a game with probably the best team we will face this year. That SS also plays some RB at times, so losing him limited our options on offense as well. EC would have still beat us, but would have had a better showing without the that and other injuries in the game. There is always next year!

bird_fan
11-20-2012, 01:06 PM

both of EC fumbles was pretty deep in LaGrange territory one at the 11 yard line with EC having a pretty impressive drive going wich LaGrange turned into an impressive drive it self that there was another 14 point turnaround then add the good onside kick and touchdown drive if that fumble hadt happen would La Crange even had a comeback it goes both ways I take my hat off to LaGrange like EC and Bellville both have a winning tradition to be proud of