PDA

View Full Version : Jasper Bulldogs (9-2) vs Navasota Rattlers (11-0)

HEMOTOXIC
11-17-2012, 03:13 AM
Jasper Bulldogs vs The Navasota Rattlers
Friday, November 23, 7pm
Buddy Moorhead Stadium (Conroe High Campus)
Conroe, TX

Jasper Bulldogs (9-2)

Jasper 49 Liberty 13
Jasper 55 Orangefield 14
Jasper 52 Kirbyville 13
WO-S 17 Jasper 7
Jasper 17 Bridge City 7
Jasper 68 Cohen Prep 0
Jasper 45 Diboll 0
Carthage 49 Jasper 31
Jasper 65 Huntington 14
Jasper 27 Center 21
Jasper 58 Groesbeck 28

The Navasota Rattlers (11-0)

Navasota 42 Willis 0
Navasota 36 Coldspring 8
Navasota 49 Houston Sterling 6
Navasota 45 Lexington 13
Navasota 41 Fairfield 7
Navasota 57 Austin McCallum 9
Navasota 38 Madisonville 0
Navasota 43 Rockdale 0
Navasota 58 Caldwell 0
Navasota 52 Taylor 0
Navasota 62 China Spring 16

History

1994- 4A, After upsetting #1 Carthage, Navasota loses several starters to a car accident before the Jasper game in Humble. Jasper wins.
1996- Class 4A Area- Navasota (11-0) met Jasper (9-2) @ Buddy Moorhead in Conroe. Navasota won the game to advance to play La Marque in the Next Round.
2007- 3a Div 1, Humble, TX- Navasota Trailed 34 to 14 at the half only to come from behind to beat the Bulldogs 42-40 on a cold misty night.

WOS87
11-17-2012, 03:45 AM
Jasper beat Bridge City 21-7

http://orangeleader.com/hssports/x905908344/Jasper-too-much-for-Bridge-City-21-7

Poor Jasper

ctown81
11-17-2012, 08:51 AM
Poor Jasper

This one will be closer than you think. Navasota will win it but their road is very difficult.

HEMOTOXIC
11-17-2012, 11:32 AM
This one will be closer than you think. Navasota will win it but their road is very difficult.

You are right about that.. Fedora does a great job of keeping his players focused on the game ahead of them. If Jasper has a problem stopping the pass or thinking that they will run on Navasota, it will be a very long night for the Bulldogs.

navscanmaster
11-17-2012, 12:37 PM
Navasota and Jasper games are always fun. I was in 6th grade for that '94 game. Our QB and RB were hurt before the game, amirite?

HEMOTOXIC
11-17-2012, 01:00 PM
Navasota and Jasper games are always fun. I was in 6th grade for that '94 game. Our QB and RB were hurt before the game, amirite?

Yes, along with several others.

OldBison75
11-17-2012, 01:02 PM
The road to Dallas is getting tougher. Jasper is the type team that can really hurt you if you don't play every down. They also feed on emotion and momentum, meaning that the Rattlers cannot let them stay in the game early on. Jasper will have some "new" wrinkles for the Rattlers and will try to run the ball to control the clock as much as possible. I don't think they can get in a passing battle and expect to outscore the Rattlers that way.

I think the Rattler defense will be ready and play all four quarters like they played the second half against China Spring. Which, by the way, included holding them to only 43 offensive yards besides the 53 yard trick play TD.

HEMOTOXIC
11-17-2012, 01:20 PM
No doubt Jasper can win this game. To do so, Jasper will have to control the clock to keep Navasota's offense off the field. Similar to what Coldspring attempted to do. In years past, I wouldn't be so confident in the Rattlers and their defense. This year, they are playing pretty sound defense and getting off the field which gives Navasota offense control. An offense that hasn't been stopped so far. And, yes, the offensive line has improved drastically since the Coldspring win.

j_dog
11-17-2012, 01:44 PM
I have seen both teams. They are very similar in appearance. Big, strong, and fast. The edge goes to Navasota for execution. Navasota does not make silly mistakes. The same coaching staff for years is a huge advantage. Jasper has another new coach this year. There obviously has had to be a learning curve. But from what I saw last night Jasper's game may finally be coming together. Hard to say. Don't know how good Groesbeck really was; that is whether they had played a tough schedule to go 6-4. I would not miss this game! Should this be the game of the week?

HEMOTOXIC
11-17-2012, 05:42 PM
I have seen both teams. They are very similar in appearance. Big, strong, and fast. The edge goes to Navasota for execution. Navasota does not make silly mistakes. The same coaching staff for years is a huge advantage. Jasper has another new coach this year. There obviously has had to be a learning curve. But from what I saw last night Jasper's game may finally be coming together. Hard to say. Don't know how good Groesbeck really was; that is whether they had played a tough schedule to go 6-4. I would not miss this game! Should this be the game of the week?

Should be another entertaining matchup... We may be tailgaiting depending on if it's allowed.

HEMOTOXIC
11-17-2012, 06:15 PM
****Correction, Game time is 6pm.

j_dog
11-17-2012, 08:14 PM
Should be another entertaining matchup... We may be tailgaiting depending on if it's allowed.
There should be good attendance for this game. Last night for Groesbeck, neither team turned out what I would call a huge crowd. But this time, folks will be there. It is presumably a better matchup, and it will be much closer for all the fans for both teams that live in Houston. Good idea to tailgate.

If Conroe ISD will not allow it, perhaps Lowes or Sams up the street might allow tail gating ?? I think Lowes is just a block or two away from the stadium. Just a thought.

HEMOTOXIC
11-17-2012, 09:02 PM
There should be good attendance for this game. Last night for Groesbeck, neither team turned out what I would call a huge crowd. But this time, folks will be there. It is presumably a better matchup, and it will be much closer for all the fans for both teams that live in Houston. Good idea to tailgate.

If Conroe ISD will not allow it, perhaps Lowes or Sams up the street might allow tail gating ?? I think Lowes is just a block or two away from the stadium. Just a thought.

We will check into it on Monday.

87 TIGER
11-18-2012, 01:12 AM
Go rattlers

cowboyandchrist
11-18-2012, 08:30 AM
I have not seen the Rattlers play, but I have read the post on here all year long. I admire the Rattler fans that post on here because they know how good there team is but they still give respect to the team they are playing. I picked the Rattlers from the first of the year to play for the title. Jasper can run the ball, but I just don't think they can beat the Rattlers by just running. The Rattlers are well balanced and have beat everyone they have played no matter if they tried to run on them or pass on them. Jasper is a good football team, but not enough to beat the Rattlers. Good luck and God Bless both teams.

Looks to me the 2 hardest games they lost. Jasper is going home I'm betting. I'm sure everyone hopes Jasper wins who don't want to meet Nav.

HEMOTOXIC
11-18-2012, 10:17 AM
Looks to me the 2 hardest games they lost. Jasper is going home I'm betting. I'm sure everyone hopes Jasper wins who don't want to meet Nav.

Hey we are all one in the same. For me, after the beat down two seasons ago against CHILL, I was not looking forward to playing Chapel Hill again last year. I was praying for someone to knock them out before getting to us. It almost happened as LaVega should have won.

WOS1
11-18-2012, 10:18 AM
Jasper will have to play a near perfect game, but they do have the ability to win this game. Don't sleep on Jaspers passing game, it is capable.

regaleagle
11-18-2012, 10:32 AM
At this point in the season, you would expect most teams to be much improved over earlier in the season. Some teams have more room for improvement than others, and therefore have made larger strides of improvement since the season began. I think Jasper is one of those teams. I agree Navasota should win this game, but I also think Jasper is one of those teams that is dangerous for any team to play this time of year. I'd like to hear more about what Jasper has done the last 2-3 games, and what problems they pose for the Rattlers.

HEMOTOXIC
11-18-2012, 10:40 AM
At this point in the season, you would expect most teams to be much improved over earlier in the season. Some teams have more room for improvement than others, and therefore have made larger strides of improvement since the season began. I think Jasper is one of those teams. I agree Navasota should win this game, but I also think Jasper is one of those teams that is dangerous for any team to play this time of year. I'd like to hear more about what Jasper has done the last 2-3 games, and what problems they pose for the Rattlers.

I watched some video on them from the Carthage game. I agree, in that game they looked pretty darn good. And, that game was 3-4 weeks ago. Navasota will have their work cut out but if we play Navasota Ball, we will be leaving Conroe happy.

Expect another huge Rattler following, Conroe is 30-35 minutes away down Highway 105.

OldBison75
11-18-2012, 11:33 AM
I think the key for the Rattlers is to control the Jasper running game and force them to beat you by the pass. The Rattlers have a pretty darn good defense that I believe can accomplish this. I am not sure that Jasper can stop the Rattler offense consistently.

HEMOTOXIC
11-19-2012, 08:37 AM
Ttt.

navscanmaster
11-19-2012, 12:07 PM
Jasper fans, remember that 3rd quarter Rattler defense in 2007? You'll get all four quarters this time. Can't wait!

OldBison75
11-19-2012, 01:18 PM
For all you old Jasper posters I have a question--does Jasper still have all those lineman with T-Rex arms?

jdawg2012
11-19-2012, 01:37 PM
For all you old Jasper posters I have a question--does Jasper still have all those lineman with T-Rex arms?

If you're referring to the O-line...Nope. Aside from the WOS game protection has been excellent.

WOS1
11-19-2012, 01:40 PM

Not from Jasper and I'm not sure what you mean by T-Rex arms, but I do know Jasper has some good size.

OldBison75
11-19-2012, 02:31 PM
A few years ago the posters from Jasper were talking jokingly about some of their lineman having T-Rex arms. I just happened to remember those exchanges from when Navasota played them back then.

j_dog
11-19-2012, 03:02 PM
yep, still got 'em! but they are faster and stronger now! :twitch:

OldBison75
11-19-2012, 03:11 PM
The ones back then were pretty darn good--I guess the Rattlers have a load to deal with this week.

j_dog
11-19-2012, 03:22 PM
A few years ago the posters from Jasper were talking jokingly about some of their lineman having T-Rex arms. I just happened to remember those exchanges from when Navasota played them back then.
but even though small and slow; and with T-Rex arms Jasper still managed to score 40 points as I remember!

yes, had some fun poking fun back then when some Nav posters wanted to compare stats. Jasper had no stats to compare that year. and we all know that "stats" do not win games; action on the field wins games. Jasper does perhaps have better stats this year than that year. Like that year, Jasper has gotten better as the season has progressed. No one knows for sure how the match-ups will play out on the field until they play the game. I am also excited to see this game; Jasper DOES remember that third quarter. :mad: :)

NastySlot
11-19-2012, 03:23 PM
hemo, OB, TaT and navscan .........might be making the trip over watch the game if I do it would be nice see you and say hello. I ll get in touch when I know for sure coming down for Missouri game ...... Jordan my son has to work during day so it all depends when he finishes

OldBison75
11-19-2012, 03:47 PM
jdog is completely correct on how well the Jasper team played in that game, especially in the fist half. As for the lineman being small and slow, I don't remember that the situation was really anything like that, even though they told us all week that they were. What I know for sure is that Jasper will be there Friday to win and will not lay down. If the Rattlers are gonna win they will have to play good football and limit mistakes. At this stage of the year, in this region, nobody has a cakewalk. Plus, Jasper has a score to settle and the idea of knocking off #1 will have them really pumped and ready.

I am looking forward to a good, clean, competitive game that will likely be close.

HEMOTOXIC
11-19-2012, 06:03 PM
hemo, OB, TaT and navscan .........might be making the trip over watch the game if I do it would be nice see you and say hello. I ll get in touch when I know for sure coming down for Missouri game ...... Jordan my son has to work during day so it all depends when he finishes

Looking forward to it.

j_dog
11-19-2012, 08:49 PM
Talk about being a true underDOG, Jasper is it!

This poll will close on 11-23-2012 at 02:14 AM
JASPER BULLDOGS 5 votes, for 21.74%
#1 NAVASOTA RATTLERS 18 votes, for 78.26%

as of 7:42 pm Nov 19th.

And Padilla is picking Navasota by 16 I think it is.

Guess this is going to be like Sam Houston going over to College Station last Saturday. Lost the game, but got a good payday! Oh well, I am still going to the game. :cool:

Saggy Aggie
11-20-2012, 12:30 PM
I'll take Nav 42-21

striker
11-20-2012, 02:47 PM
If you can't make the game the LIVE stream will be available at www.navasotanews.com

j_dog
11-20-2012, 03:02 PM
If you can't make the game the LIVE stream will be available at www.navasotanews.com
or for unbiased reporting :cool: :

http://www.kjas.com/

zebrablue2
11-20-2012, 06:27 PM
Rattlers are a machine, and they win by 24...

OldBison75
11-22-2012, 03:00 PM
Gonna be at this one ---- who else will be in the stands????

JHS_c/o_06'
11-22-2012, 03:00 PM
I would just like to come out of retirement and claim credit for the 't-rex arms' comment.

Jasper rolls and onward to December where they get the ring I should have gotten in 04.

HEMOTOXIC
11-22-2012, 03:54 PM
I would just like to come out of retirement and claim credit for the 't-rex arms' comment.

Jasper rolls and onward to December where they get the ring I should have gotten in 04.

Good Luck!

OldBison75
11-22-2012, 04:22 PM

I have had so much fun using that term, T-rex arms, over the past few years. Every time I go near Jasper or meet someone from there I bring that up. I hope you make the game tomorrow and maybe we can find a way to say hello in person. Good luck to both teams and I hope we see a great game, win or lose.

OldBison75
11-23-2012, 02:34 PM
Nasty Slot, are you gonna make the game?

j_dog
11-23-2012, 05:46 PM
Off to the game! Best of luck to both teams and may it be an injury free game!

NastySlot
11-23-2012, 07:04 PM
Wow they made that look ez.

OldBison75
11-23-2012, 10:03 PM
Navasota 59
Jasper 14

FINAL

No team will beat Navasota in D2.
No team will beat Stephenville in D1.

OldBison75
11-23-2012, 10:08 PM
Ville, I hope you are right--but we both have a tough one next week to get past. Good luck to you guys.

WOS87
11-23-2012, 10:10 PM
No team will beat Navasota in D2.
No team will beat Stephenville in D1.

Famous last words.. I'm saving this post.

OldBison75
11-23-2012, 10:12 PM
Yes sir, I hope Ville is half right at least. But, I also know that the road will get tougher each week--no easy games left.

j_dog
11-23-2012, 10:41 PM
Congratulations on the win Navasota! No question, you deserve your #1 ranking.

OldBison75
11-23-2012, 11:14 PM
j-dog,
give me an idea what you think about a possible Navasota - WOS matchup??

Saggy Aggie
11-23-2012, 11:31 PM
j-dog,

Having seen them both as well, I gave a little preview on the WC/WOS update thread.

j_dog
11-24-2012, 12:01 AM
j-dog,
First of all, I think it likely will happen. Two, I have not seen WO-S play this year. But I did listen to the Jasper game with them; and have read the reports. Defensively, I think WO-S will bring about twice the quickness that Jasper had tonight. They will annoy your big QB a lot more than Jasper did. I expect that they will be in his face all night long. But they still might not be able to bring the big guy down any better than Jasper.

Offensively, from what I have heard, WO-S has developed a pretty decent passing game. They probably will be difficult to shut down completely. I think Navasota probably will win the game; but not without a challenge. I finally realized just how fast the whole Navasota defensive team was when our #22, reportedly by far Jasper's fastest runner, finally broke a good run late in the game and the entire Navasota team was able to stay up with him to run him out of bounds. Against most any other team that would have been a Jasper TD. For sure I was impressed.

zebrablue2
11-24-2012, 01:54 AM
Navasota 59
Jasper 14

FINAL

Rattlers are a machine, I keep telling you all...

HEMOTOXIC
11-24-2012, 03:01 AM
Top-ranked Navasota stays hot, beats Jasper

http://www.brazossports.com/football/article_57c2c4dc-afa9-54a0-8412-0348c37d831b.html

By SCOTT CLENDENIN Special to The Eagle | 0 comments

CONROE -- Navasota's offense started fast and continued to roll up points as the night went along, scoring on five straight possessions to open the game to fuel the top-ranked Ratters' 59-14 victory over Jasper in the Class 3A Division II area playoffs Friday at Buddy Moorhead Stadium.

Navasota quarterback Kadarius Baker was in control all game, completing 21-of-30 passes for 398 yards and five touchdowns without turning the ball over. Austin Collins caught seven passes for 196 yards and three touchdowns, and Solomon McGinty hauled in four passes for 73 yards and a score. Running back Xavier Creeks added 58 yards and a touchdown on eight carries to go with four catches for 63 yards and another score.

The Rattlers (12-0) will face Coldpring or La Marque next week in regionals.

Navasota gained 561 yards and allowed just 275 yards to Jasper (9-3) with most of the Bulldogs' production coming in the fourth quarter. Jasper's Terrence Cuney picked up 111 of those yards on 27 carries and scored twice.

The Rattlers needed just two plays for their first points of the night. Baker found Collins open on a slant pattern for 12 yards on their first snap, then his deep pass to McGinty 40 yards downfield gave Navasota a quick 7-0 advantage.

Navasota's defense kept the quick start going with a three-and-out, and the offense took over at midfield. Baker hooked up with DeMarcus Lee on two straight passes that moved the ball down to Jasper's 20-yard line. Baker missed a chance at a first down on a quarterback draw that closed quickly, but Michael Martinez kicked a 35-yard field goal for a 10-0 Navasota lead.

Jasper's offense came alive when a blown coverage on a pass that hung up in the air ended up going for 41 yards to push the Bulldogs to the Navasota 11. Cuney carried the ball four straight times, the last one from 1 yard out to cut the Rattlers' lead to 10-7.

Baker, retaped after spraining his ankle on the previous drive, found Creeks open on a swing pass on the next drive, and Creeks scampered 17 yards to the Jasper 48. Creeks then burst up the middle on a zone play for 24 yards on the first true running play of the night. Baker missed Creeks when Jasper pressured him on an outside rush, but Navasota's QB bounced back and hit Collins on a deep post pattern for another touchdown and 17-7 lead.

The Rattler defense caught a break when a double pass from Markeith Cauley to a wide open Jonavan Limbrick bounced off Limbrick's shoulder pads and fell to the turf. Navasota then forced an incomplete pass on third down to force another punt.

Taking over at their 11, the Rattlers crushed the will of Jasper with their longest drive of the night. It started when Baker again found Lee on a short pass, and Lee stretched the ball across the 21 for a first down. Creeks caught a screen pass and rumbled 21 yards before the Rattlers got another break when Jasper dropped an easy interception. Baker then dumped a short pass to Hunter Sparkman out of the backfield for 12 yards and hit Collins across the middle for 15 yards.

Baker ended the 13-play drive when he rolled right and threw back left across the field for a 19-yard touchdown to a wide open Creeks for a 24-7 lead.

The Rattler defense again forced a three-and-out and that's how many plays the offense needed to score again. Baker rolled away from pressure up the middle and picked up 13 yards down the Jasper sideline. Creeks then gained 13 yards on a carry up the middle before wowing the crowd on a 15-yard scamper into the end zone. He looked as if he was stopped for a 10-yard loss on the play, but he avoided two defenders and again burst up the middle and broke a tackle at the 2-yard line before crossing the goal line for a 31-7 lead.

The Rattlers were not done. They took over at their 45 with a little more than a minute left in the first half, and after a penalty moved the ball to midfield, Baker hit a wide-open Collins behind the Bulldog defense for another TD pass and a 38-7 halftime lead.

Jasper finally stopped Navasota's offense on the first drive of the second half when McGinty fumbled at the Bulldog 31, but the Rattlers' offense bounced right back. Baker again found Collins behind the Jasper secondary for a 66-yard touchdown on Navasota's next possession.

Navasota tacked on fourth-quarter touchdown runs of 11 yards by Howard Horn and 13 yards by Derrion Randle sandwiched around a 19-yard TD run by Cuney.

1971Coogs
11-24-2012, 09:00 AM
Very impressive :eek:

Rabid Cougar
11-24-2012, 10:50 AM
Unfortunately, they are not blowing smoke. The best passing team I have seen in several years.

Tin Cup
11-24-2012, 10:52 AM
How many D1s does Nav have?

Saggy Aggie
11-24-2012, 12:41 PM
How many D1s does Nav have?

Idk how many will go D1, but they've got like 5 or 6 players that'll be on the all state teams. I'd think the two WRs will at least both be D1 butt I honestly have no clue