PDA

View Full Version : New data poll is up ........very interesting

bd0707
11-04-2002, 03:24 PM
link to it here

http://www.theoldcoach.com/dpoll/index.htm

rholl
11-04-2002, 03:30 PM
I know its just another poll...but 16th 44th and 61st.....YIKES!!!!!!!!

bd0707
11-04-2002, 03:34 PM
The folks from Marlin should love this one, Collier/Sharp Poll. Link to it here,

http://www.collier-sharp.com/rnov13.html

j_dog
11-04-2002, 05:44 PM
rholl:
I know its just another poll...but 16th 44th and 61st.....YIKES!!!!!!!!Hey, this poll is just for amusement. Yes, some of the top teams deserve to be there, the three teams you referenced above are most likely to go to at least the semi's or finals. There is just no credibility in this "poll". It is all just an arithmetic game. There is no apparent attempt to adjust in any way for difficulty of schedule, reserves playing at the end of the game, weather conditions, etc. Nothing. Just simple arithmetic. That won't cut it when the real teams hit the field. To be credible, there has to be some reality checks against what can reasonably be expected to happen on the field.

Let's wait and compare this to the "real" poll, the playoffs.

DAWG 54
11-04-2002, 05:48 PM
OOOOOO-K.

This guy is an expert, lol.

Old Cardinal
11-04-2002, 07:31 PM
It's kind of comical, Atlanta keeps losing and Atlanta stays at the top! In fact, it looks like the more you lose the more you climb!

BH_146
11-04-2002, 09:57 PM
Old Cardinal, you are right. And its seems like more and more polls seem to try to emulate the poll of all polls, the BCS. We are told to just believe the numbers; the so called power ratings. The poll isn't biased because it is a computer generated poll based on statistics. Hog-wash! Some human some where imputs their biased opinion that generates the predicted outcome. Or a person designs the software with the prejudice of what is important in a poll. I don't know why people just don't do like the Houston Chronicle. They have their favorites and it doesn't matter even if you beat their favorite team and have a better record, they still will rank you behind one of their chosen ones. (By the way, I'm speaking of Dickinson and La Marque.) If someone wants to do a poll, that's fine. Matthew does a fine job of his. But I just don't accept any theory that any poll is void of biases. And Old Cardinal, if you think 3A polls are humous, check out collier-sharp's 4A.

Old Cardinal
11-04-2002, 10:15 PM
Where it's baised by data entry, is that at the beginning of the year data rankings are arbitrally set on each team! The teams you are pulling for (from your Region) are all given the highest "Power ratings". Therefore all other region teams have to "jump over buildings with a single bound" to even move up a little in the rankings. The real clincher, is how you rate a teams performance when they play a 4A team! Boy then you can inject data(even when you lose by 2 TD's-like Atlanta) and climb 5 spots in the polls, even when you lose. Computer manipulated numbers are only as good as the manipulated numbers entered in the formula's- entered each week!......Boy the computer formula Stock funds have all taken a beating, yet a few mavericks have continued making money during these hard times-its called savvy: and formulas don't have savvy!

CentralTxFan
11-04-2002, 11:19 PM
Texaspowerratings.com has Marlin winning the D2 championship.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
11-04-2002, 11:49 PM
I still have no clue how the guy that runs texaspowerratings.com comes up with his "power ratings".

Don't get me wrong, i'm NOT complaining. He's got Port Isabel advancing to the state semi-finals vs. Marlin! :D

spiveyrat
11-05-2002, 12:31 PM
Texaspowerratings.com seems to be closer to reality.

everman_guy
11-05-2002, 02:51 PM
rholl, we were actually 62nd last week...by virtue of our 76 point victory (beating the spread by 10) we jumped up to 61.

evebulldog01
11-05-2002, 03:54 PM
Your right we actualy did go up a place. Guess this guy is a real expert. Average 50 points per game for and only give up 11 points per game yep we should fall right in there at 61. Actually I'm kinda suprised were not lower. :D

rholl
11-05-2002, 05:04 PM
Easy Bulldogs.....its just a poll....or in other words someones opinion...we may not like it...may not agree with it.....but it has NOTHING to do with the little trophy they hand out after the very last game is played. I just thought it was kind funny the 3 teams that almost eveyone agrees are "powerhouses" are rated as average or barely above average.