PDA

View Full Version : If It were the 70's

Phil C
02-24-2003, 10:39 AM
Playoffs were different in the 70s because only one team in the district got into the playoffs in football and that was the district winners (there were tie breakers just in case but I won't get into that here). I wouldn't want to go back to then because of that reason so even though the system may not be perfect now it is much better than then. But if we were on that system it would be interesting to see who would have been state champions. Based on the results of the past season Everman and Bandera would not have even been in the playoffs because Everman lost district to Kennedale and Bandera was in third place (Of course it must be considered that had we been in the 70s Everman may have been ready and not been beaten by Kennedale during the season). Basically though we would have had a different state champion rather than Everman or Bandera if season results were the same. I think Burnet would have been state champions under the old system but other teams would deserve consideration. What do you think? This is just a question to talk over since we are between football seasons.

HotDawg89
02-24-2003, 10:52 AM
Ahhhh.. sweet 70's. Of course, I am from Burnet, so I can say- that would have been great! But the new system does give a little room to those teams that may have just had a bad night. Everman, I can tell you right now, must have just had a really bad night against Kennendale. They were just a fantastic team to play. There was definately a momentum swing after Corey's accident, but I think they were more prepared and healthier than we were regardless.

Now Bandera, on the other hand- was not even in Burnet's league. Odd how Burnet played both state champs in 3A isn't it? Not many teams can say that they did that in the same year. I promise I'm not trying to tick off anyone from Bandera- they definantly got their groove on post Burnet game, and we may have played a totally different Bandera team later in the season.

All the if's..my grandfather always said, "If your Aunt had nuts, she be your Uncle." (Sorry moderators- hope that doesn't offend!)

Great topic Phil!

Matthew328
02-24-2003, 11:28 AM
Last year Forney went 1-1 against the state champs..they beat Commerce in district and lost to Everman.....

PPHSfan
02-24-2003, 11:56 AM
If it were the 70's.....

Sinton66 would still be young enough to drive.

Slpybear would weigh in at 185 lbs.

and PPHSfan would still be breaking hearts in highschool. :D

Cameronbystander
02-24-2003, 12:08 PM
If it were the 70's, Brownwood would still be kicking everybody's butt in 3A. I was at Weatherford in the early 70's and Brownwood had some great teams.

slpybear the bullfan
02-24-2003, 08:07 PM
PPHSfan:
If it were the 70's.....

Sinton66 would still be young enough to drive.

Slpybear would weigh in at 185 lbs.

and PPHSfan would still be breaking hearts in highschool. :D Ahhh yess, PPHSFan... those grand old Seventies! Yup, I grew up in the seventies and raised cane in the eighties. I still remember how to hate the Steelers, how we laughed at the "Orange Crush", and most importantly, that Evel Kenevil really could have rode that rocket cycle across the Snake River if NASA hadn't been so busy watching SkyLab slowly lose orbits!

And yup, the slpybear was a lot slimmer back in the good old days. (Although, the slpybear is on a miniaturization plan as we speak... 25lb to date... WooHoo!)

Jimbotex40
02-25-2003, 01:09 AM
yeah, id have to agree, everman and bandera definitely deserve the championships

BULLDOGFAN
02-25-2003, 10:01 AM
I don't like assuming over What if's... But I know a lot of people in Bandera would have loved to have played Burnet at the end of the season with everyone healthy.

Dave-O
02-25-2003, 10:45 AM
I am Sure everyone in Bandera would have like to play Burnet at the end of the season with evryone healthyYes and everyone from Burnet injured or sick. Stephen McGee with his knee problem and Shipley out with staph.

BULLDOGFAN
02-25-2003, 10:59 AM
We would only wnat them healthy.... Bandera was pretty banged up when we played Burnet and didn't really get all of their players till the end of district. Which of course was to our advantage.

Dave-O
02-25-2003, 02:26 PM
Also if it were the 70's I would be wearing a white leisure suit and i would have a sweet afro. :cool:

Phil C
02-25-2003, 02:42 PM
Hey Bandera this isn't meant to be a rebuff to what you said and is not meant to contradict your statement at all but your post just reminded me of a game played before most of us were born. I think it was in 1943 Pro football championship game when the Chicago Bears played Washington Redskins and the Redskins received the kickoff and on third down afterward the Washington Quarterback thew a pass to one of his usually dependable receivers who was wide open and would have scored except he dropped the ball. The Redskins then had to punt and after that it was all Chicago who won 70 to 0. A sportswriter told the Washington Quarterback if the receiver had hung on to the ball and scored the outcome of the game would have been different and the QB said "Yep - then the score would have been 70 - 7."

St. Ivender
02-25-2003, 03:08 PM
The Division I and II scenario is what I would like to change. The disparity between big and small schools was really evident this past season. Which would lead you to believe that the big schools would always rise to the top, but the bigger schools don't necessarily even win their own districts. So I would be happier under the '70's system if the top 2 teams from each district made the playoffs with ONE eventual state champion.

sinton66
02-26-2003, 07:35 AM
I understand your sentiment, but that is a situation that changes from year to year. Two seasons ago, the majority of the "undefeateds" were in the Div1 bracket. Sinton and Everman both blew through the competition and met as undefeateds in the championship. This last season, Phil is correct, under the old rules, neither Bandera or Everman would have been there past district. Obviously, they were the best teams in 3A. This system also has its good points too.

fwisd
02-26-2003, 08:33 AM
Another classification wuld decrease some of the disparity, but not all. There's no way to make it completely "fair" for everybody becuase life just ain't! I don't think more than 2 teams should go for obvious reasons - everybody doesn't need a participation ribbon for heaven's sakes! And how special are the playoffs when half the district goes? In the case of that very tough district in East Texas with Longview, Tyler schools, etc. - more than half the district went. Three is just too many in my opinion!

RBARKER
02-26-2003, 08:46 AM
fwisd:
Another classification wuld decrease some of the disparity, but not all. There's no way to make it completely "fair" for everybody becuase life just ain't! I don't think more than 2 teams should go for obvious reasons - everybody doesn't need a participation ribbon for heaven's sakes! And how special are the playoffs when half the district goes? In the case of that very tough district in East Texas with Longview, Tyler schools, etc. - more than half the district went. Three is just too many in my opinion!Three teams going to the playoffs is not that bad especially in the case of the East Texas District you were talking about I mean John Tyler made it to the Quarterfinals Div I and Lufkin and Longview met in the Quarter finals and then Lufkin advanced to the Semi finals. I believe all of those teams deserved to be in the playoffs. If only two teams went to the playoffs then Bandera would not had a chance to shown Texas that they were the best team in 3A DIV II. I agree that three teams seem to water down the playoffs in some areas but there are some districts that have 3 two 4 playoff teams in thier district. Should they not get a chance to show thier talent?

fwisd
02-26-2003, 08:56 AM
You're right, Barker - that is a very good district in East Texas - many district champs wouldn't beat their third place team. But, since it would be unfair to judge which districts are more competitive and which are not - you have to have an equal number. And, I just think three is too many. My son rodeos and much discussion has been made of the kids who go to the National High School Finals from the states like Indiana, Ohio, Tennessee, etc. Texas and California are the only states divided into regions. Top 10 from each region go to the state finals and top 4 move on to nationals. Tougher competitors are staying at home from these states than are advancing from some of the others. In some of the less competitive state you might have 2 kids in an event - they are definitely going to nationals - but in Texas where you have 100 qualify in an event for the state finals and only 4 go - and many more are at home who did not even qualify for the state round - well - my point is there's just no way to make it "fair" for everybody - that is not life. So - the made 2 divisions - 3 teams go - I personally, would rather see only 2 - one division I and one division II - go if there has to be more than one...