PDA

View Full Version : Most suprising team NOT to make the playoffs?

banderafan
11-10-2012, 12:35 AM
What teams that didn't make the playoffs suprised you the most? Liberty Hill, Gonzales, and Hondo come to mind around Cen-Tex.

HEMOTOXIC
11-10-2012, 12:36 AM
Giddings

YTBulldogs
11-10-2012, 12:36 AM
Gonzales

banderafan
11-10-2012, 12:45 AM
No doubt, forgot about Giddings.

HEMOTOXIC
11-10-2012, 12:46 AM
Sealy

poisoned10
11-10-2012, 12:54 AM
Bullard Panther. Good defense and great offense.

This team was probably the best team Bullard has ever seen. Unfortunately they were in a district with Gilmer, Kilgore and Henderson.

They would more than likely make the playoffs in almost any other district.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

regaleagle
11-10-2012, 12:56 AM
Going back to the preseason, I'd have to agree it is definitely Sealy.

FB-fanatic
11-10-2012, 10:08 PM
Robinson Rockets. Pre-season #2 pick - returning Supercentex QB 2011 3500 yard passer. Early injury to QB, rested and rehabbed for 3 or 4 games. 6-0 going into district, 0-4 in district.

Bosqueville
11-10-2012, 10:11 PM
Liberty Hill!

movethechain
11-10-2012, 10:18 PM

This team was probably the best team Bullard has ever seen. Unfortunately they were in a district with Gilmer, Kilgore and Henderson.

Maybe we should start another thread, "Who is the best team NOT to make the playoffs?"

Bullard would be at the top of the list and it would not be close!

bobcat1
11-10-2012, 10:35 PM
Decatur

Gone Fishing
11-10-2012, 10:38 PM
Liberty Hill and Giddings

Lion70
11-11-2012, 08:57 AM
Jus kindof odd that The Defending State Champ missed the playoffs and had a bad year 3-7 after going 13-2 and 15-0 in back to back State Championship appearances. Chapel Hill

Phil C
11-11-2012, 10:43 AM
Don't forget THE HOWLING BEAR!

SHSBulldog00
11-11-2012, 11:10 AM
Sweeny

Cam
11-11-2012, 11:12 AM
Liberty Hill and Giddings

Giddings didn't make it cause buff4ever didn't paint that buffalo and jinxed them!

upper20
11-11-2012, 04:19 PM
Big Spring. After an impressive 5-0 start, they went 0-5 in district. After a hard-fought loss to Wylie to open district play, most people here expected them to make the playoffs with ease. Instead, they went into a tailspin - the rumor is that Big Spring lost eight starters due to grades

sTxforlife
11-11-2012, 05:22 PM
Definitely Sealy, it is dumbfounding to think that a team with so much potential and talent could miss the playoffs. But in Sealy we're used to talent being wasted with these coaches.

Definitely Sealy, it is dumbfounding to think that a team with so much potential and talent could miss the playoffs. But in Sealy we're used to talent being wasted with these coaches.

"I can walk up the steps, and all the little kids start screaming, 'Hey Rick - Ricky, Ricky, Ricky,' " said Seals-Jones, a 6-5, 225-pound senior quarterback. "This is my last year to put Sealy on the map. I think I have a little bit, but we have to make the playoffs and do it real big. I'm talking about state - winning state."
WRONG ANSWER RSJ

sTxforlife
11-11-2012, 06:22 PM
"I can walk up the steps, and all the little kids start screaming, 'Hey Rick - Ricky, Ricky, Ricky,' " said Seals-Jones, a 6-5, 225-pound senior quarterback. "This is my last year to put Sealy on the map. I think I have a little bit, but we have to make the playoffs and do it real big. I'm talking about state - winning state."
WRONG ANSWER RSJ
What is wrong with that? Doesn't every kid that plays high school football want to bring attention to their town by winning a state championship? I think with the amount of adversity he has faced this year he has handled himself very well.

Nothing wrong with it just not accurate. I find it amazing Swoops was 1-8 or 1-9 whatever it was. In 2A give me a break.

Gobblerfan
11-11-2012, 07:00 PM
Giddings had injuries, then they completely fell off the map....and had more injuries.

bigwood33
11-11-2012, 07:16 PM
Nothing wrong with it just not accurate. I find it amazing Swoops was 1-8 or 1-9 whatever it was. In 2A give me a break.
1-8 was Whitewright's record but I don't think anyone is really surprised. Everyone around here pretty well knew it was a one man band for the Tigers this season.
On a side note, a former footballer there (quit 3 or 4 games in this season) committed suicide Friday afternoon and their game with Gunter was cancelled since it had no impact on the district standings.

defense51
11-11-2012, 07:36 PM
Sealy and Chapel Hill

sotex
11-11-2012, 08:24 PM
Hondo. Could not make the playoffs in the weakest district in the state.

catgut
11-12-2012, 04:41 PM
Liberty Eylau was picked to be in top two in district by almost everyone in the district. Went into last game of season against Paris knowing a win they win district and a loss and they are finished.

Aggie98
11-12-2012, 05:00 PM

I agree. Bullard went 3 deep last year and returned 18 starters from that team. They pushed Kilgore, Henderson, and Gilmer, but in the end they were Doomed.

buff4ever
11-12-2012, 05:30 PM
Giddings had injuries, then they completely fell off the map....and had more injuries.

Exactly, we had too many players playing both ways due to no depth, then the inuries hit hard. People forget to consider that with small schools. We didn't have quality depth, and that showed more and more as we took on injuries. Prolly played a big part in our injuries, that we had some many players on the field the whole game.

buckeyebob
11-12-2012, 05:46 PM

Totally agree...it is a shame they are not going there.

buckeyebob
11-12-2012, 05:47 PM
Jus kindof odd that The Defending State Champ missed the playoffs and had a bad year 3-7 after going 13-2 and 15-0 in back to back State Championship appearances. Chapel Hill

What happened?

buckeyebob
11-12-2012, 05:49 PM
Exactly, we had too many players playing both ways due to no depth, then the inuries hit hard. People forget to consider that with small schools. We didn't have quality depth, and that showed more and more as we took on injuries. Prolly played a big part in our injuries, that we had some many players on the field the whole game.

Encourage your Supt. to vote for the split at season start

Football fan
11-12-2012, 05:59 PM
1-8 was Whitewright's record but I don't think anyone is really surprised. Everyone around here pretty well knew it was a one man band for the Tigers this season.

Someone who is 6'5" 220 lbs and allegedly runs a 4.5 should run for 100 yards a game with junior high kids blocking for him.

Dawgfan64
11-12-2012, 07:16 PM
Have to say Gonzales...that OL was pretty good

Dawgfan64
11-12-2012, 07:21 PM

Buff4ever...hate to say it but by the time Giddings came to Yoakum, they were just a shell of their former self. I saw way too much fighting on the sidelines...surely didn't play as a team...hope next year is better for y'all.

LHPfactory
11-12-2012, 09:00 PM
Liberty Hill and Giddings:

:ditto::ditto:

LH lost its spark, Im telling you the team that played Brownwood and beyond was not the same one from early in the season..... It was sad to watch, I thought they would go at least 3 rounds deep. Several teams they beat made the play offs, 1 even went undefeated in their district. I hope this lights a fire for the off season, pay now gain later.....

ogg
11-12-2012, 09:20 PM
Giddings, what happened?

Manso/V8
11-12-2012, 10:59 PM
Definitely Sealy, it is dumbfounding to think that a team with so much potential and talent could miss the playoffs. But in Sealy we're used to talent being wasted with these coaches.\

Honestly, beyond Ricky and Jowan, maybe Pruett, I didn't see the potential you talk about. 21 or 3 guys don't make a playoff in 3a.

Manso/V8
11-12-2012, 11:05 PM

What is Giddings' enrollment? I never thought of them as a small school, maybe a D2 school.
Bellville didn't have players going both ways, and it probably hurt us in pre-district.
Most of the other teams had their best athletes going both ways, I thought we were missing out by not doing the same.
In the long run, it worked out better for Bellville to have kids only playing offense or defense.
The weaker kids got much better, and the attitude and play of the team improved week by week.

sTxforlife
11-12-2012, 11:21 PM
\

Honestly, beyond Ricky and Jowan, maybe Pruett, I didn't see the potential you talk about. 21 or 3 guys don't make a playoff in 3a.
We had a number of talented players, a bunch have been 3 year starters, Seals-Jones, Davis, Brown, Pratt, Burttschell, etc. Our sophomore qb and soph and Freshman rbs are also very talented but you didnt see them play because Davis got the majority of the carries.

buff4ever
11-12-2012, 11:41 PM
What is Giddings' enrollment? I never thought of them as a small school, maybe a D2 school.
Bellville didn't have players going both ways, and it probably hurt us in pre-district.
Most of the other teams had their best athletes going both ways, I thought we were missing out by not doing the same.
In the long run, it worked out better for Bellville to have kids only playing offense or defense.
The weaker kids got much better, and the attitude and play of the team improved week by week.

By small school I mean most 3a schools, especially those under 700 like us and most. Our problem with it this year, is not usually our problem. We were not as deep as usual with our talent at upperclassmen level. We have many coming up, but this year unlike most we had a majority going both ways instead of a few. That wore on our guys as the season went on.

Dawg, you are an idiot. I don't know what fighting you saw on our sideline from across the field, when I didn't see any from our own side. Of all the small town rumors that fly around a successful program like ours during a 6 - 4 season, that one has NEVER even been thrown out here. IDIOT, ASSININE. Lack of quality senior leadership maybe, but fighting on the sideline, I never saw or heard of. Keep your thoughts to yourself if you don't know what you are talking about. We moved up it looked like 4 to 5 jv players that actually played in their first varsity game against you guys. Sorry one of them was a Freshman qb. That is how banged up our shallow talent was at the end of the year. (by the way our freshman qb looked pretty good for a freshman playing in his first varsity game) To further make you feel good about your win against a banged up team starting subvarsity players on both sides of the ball, if we hadn't spotted you with early snap issues on our end of the field, the game might have been a lot tougher for you guys to pull out. Our freshman qb understandably took a few snaps to allow his nerves to settle, and the other our center snapped clear over our running back's head as well. Our team seemed to actually show a lot of support to those younger players that were moved up, and even high fived Glenn when he went in as a decoy, decoy due to his ankle injury. ONCE AGAIN... IDIOT

Sorry to everyone else for having to read my rant directed at one person, didn't want to private message him, quite frankly wanted him to be called and IDIOT in front of you all. Should hit the delete button on this message...........but..........you know by now that I didn't, can't believe you fell for the suspense!

Manso/V8
11-13-2012, 01:01 AM
We had a number of talented players, a bunch have been 3 year starters, Seals-Jones, Davis, Brown, Pratt, Burttschell, etc. Our sophomore qb and soph and Freshman rbs are also very talented but you didnt see them play because Davis got the majority of the carries.

We had the same, 2 and 3 year starters, many with another year to play. I did think the soph QB showed good potential.
El Campo dropping down, and the turnaround of Wharton, especially with Grissom healthly like when Sealy played them, made for a tougher road to the playoffs.

SpursFan2012
11-13-2012, 01:09 AM
Giddings!! I never thought they would lose 4 in a row after beating Cuero!!

regaleagle
11-13-2012, 03:31 AM
What teams that didn't make the playoffs suprised you the most? Liberty Hill, Gonzales, and Hondo come to mind around Cen-Tex.

Is this a "trick question", or just a multiple choice???? :twitch:

hookandladder
11-13-2012, 07:27 AM
We had the same, 2 and 3 year starters, many with another year to play. I did think the soph QB showed good potential.
El Campo dropping down, and the turnaround of Wharton, especially with Grissom healthly like when Sealy played them, made for a tougher road to the playoffs.

I see EC only beat Wharton by a TD and from reading some post on here about the game they felt Wharton could have won if their QB did not get hurt , then I saw Bellville game with EC and it looks like EC dominated you guys. Just curious with your 3 scores against each other , what happen in your game with EC. I do not want to hear to rivalry story, if a team is that good speaking of EC then their game with EC should not have been that close.

greendawg84
11-13-2012, 10:11 AM
:

:ditto::ditto:

LH lost its spark, Im telling you the team that played Brownwood and beyond was not the same one from early in the season..... It was sad to watch, I thought they would go at least 3 rounds deep. Several teams they beat made the play offs, 1 even went undefeated in their district. I hope this lights a fire for the off season, pay now gain later.....

I have to agree with this one . At the start of the season if you would have told me LH would get beat by Burnet and not make the playoffs I would have bet you my paycheck you were wrong.

panfan
11-13-2012, 10:36 AM
I have to agree with this one . At the start of the season if you would have told me LH would get beat by Burnet and not make the playoffs I would have bet you my paycheck you were wrong.

As Buff4ever pointed out there were a few key problems this season for LH. Lack of quality senior leadership was a big one. Injuries at key times - by week 6, offensive line was operating at about 60% of its original personnel. Week we played Burnet, Dudgeon - Senior linebacker (leader by example) was out with a concussion - He made about 1/3 to 1/5 of the tackles - and he was sorely missed.

Twirling Time
11-13-2012, 06:32 PM
For me, the local surprise is Anna. They beat Frisco Lone Star and Ferris, both playoff teams. But they slipped up and lost to Bonham, and in a 5-team district, that was that.

sTxforlife
11-13-2012, 07:07 PM
Yes, that definitely didn't help us at all. The Wharton game was the beginning of the end for us. For the sake of the kids coming back I hope there is a coaching change or else next season could be really, REALLY ugly for the Tigers.

zebrablue2
11-13-2012, 08:59 PM
A good coach is in place. Talent pool is thin, just as when Mark took over after Mills. Unless there are some move ins, sealy is in for some down yrs. Bellville may go through this also, very soon. JMHO!!!

sTxforlife
11-13-2012, 09:45 PM
The talent pool is thin because Mitchell has run off all the talent. He treats the kids like soldiers in the military, when he was told this he said it was good that they quit now instead of later when he needs them. Most good coaches care about the kids and I never got that vibe from him.

pirate4state
11-13-2012, 10:29 PM
The talent pool is thin because Mitchell has run off all the talent. He treats the kids like soldiers in the military, when he was told this he said it was good that they quit now instead of later when he needs them. Most good coaches care about the kids and I never got that vibe from him.

oh brother... :rolleyes:

sTxforlife
11-13-2012, 11:06 PM
oh brother... :rolleyes:
What? It's the truth. Take it from someone who has played for Mitchell and actually seen and experienced how he treats players.