PDA

View Full Version : El Campo-Columbus preview game story

Scoop27
11-06-2012, 10:56 PM
It’s been more than two decades since El Campo coach Bob Gillis patrolled the sidelines holding the clipboard for the Columbus Cardinals (3-6, 2-3). Gillis became the Athletic Director and football coach at Columbus in 1988.

In his three-year stretch as the Cardinals coach, Gillis took Columbus to the state playoffs in 1990 and 1991. For the first time in 30 years, Gillis led the Cardinals to a 10-0 record in 1991.

How does Gillis feel about returning to Columbus?

“It’s kind of unique,” Gillis said. “The last time I was there was 1991. It will be different, but I probably won’t even think about it once the game starts.”

However, times have changed and the Ricebirds (9-0, 5-0) will march into Columbus Friday night determined to win.

Columbus was 5-7 overall and finished 2-2 in District 24-3A under former coach Brent Mascheck last year. The Cardinals hired David Sine in the spring, former coach from 2A Sonora.

The Cardinals run a spread offensive formation with their quarterback, Tyson Simcik, averaging 295 yards per game passing. The junior Cardinal has thrown for more than 2,700 yards this season and their gun-slinging quarterback can pose a threat to the Ricebird defense.

“He is pretty quick,” Gillis said. “He isn’t very big, but he can sure throw the ball. We know they are going to complete some passes and they are going to score some points because they have done that to everybody. We just need to be patient and not get frustrated when they do complete passes.”

The Cardinals are aware of El Campo’s defensive capabilities. The Ricebird defense leads District 25-3A in points allowed with a salty 11 points per game.

“We will have to work on our pass protection this week in practice,” Sine said. “They are physical up front and they will be the strongest team we will play all year.”

El Campo doubled up Sealy 42-21 last week to improve to 5-0 in District 25-3A. With the win, the Ricebirds are guaranteed a piece of the district championship. If El Campo beats Columbus, the Ricebirds win the district title outright, but if they suffer a loss they would split the championship with Bellville if the Brahmas defeat the Sealy Tigers Friday.

With the District 25-3A championship on the line Friday night, how does Gillis feel about knowing if El Campo beats Columbus they are district champs?

“That sounds great,” Gillis said. “We certainly want to be undefeated and district champs. That has been our goal all along.”

Several El Campo players will be on Columbus’ radar Friday night.

“I think (Bryce) Brandl can beat you with his legs and his arm,” Sine said. “Their backfield is really dangerous. (Cole) Hunt on both sides of the ball really stood out and Jack Davis does a great job at his corner position. They are very athletic in the back end.”

The Ricebirds are 6-1 all-time against the Cardinals going into Friday’s contest.

What will it take for a Cardinal victory?

“If we are able to pull this thing off, we will be have to play our best and be able to have four extra possessions,” Sine said. “If that is three turnovers and a special teams play then I think that’s what it will take to win the ball game. I think El Campo is far superior and we will have to play our best to even stay close in the fourth quarter.”

El Campo travels to face Columbus Friday night for its last game of the season. Kick-off is set for 7:30 p.m.

teetle
11-08-2012, 09:51 AM
Columbus is nots toos goods. El Campo bys ases muches as its wants.:bigcry::bigcry::bigcry:

teetle
11-09-2012, 09:48 AM
Wheres bes de guy froms Pairsflats. He uses to has alls the answers. Nows thats the Dirty birda getting theres --- kicked, hes donts hases any answeres:bigcry::D:bigcry: