PDA

View Full Version : Region I Week 10 GotW: Sweetwater(4-5) Vs. Abilene Wylie(9-0)

Yoe_09
11-05-2012, 10:37 PM
Sweetwater(4-5)
31-Aug Eastland W 23-13
07-Sep Andrews L 20-16
14-Sep @Breckenridge W 33-14
21-Sep @Wall L 43-20
28-Sep @Brownwood L 28-13
12-Oct Snyder* W 34-27
19-Oct Midland Greenwood* L 31-13
26-Oct @Big Spring* W 42-9
02-Nov Monahans L 39-35

Vs.

Abilene Wylie(9-0)
31-Aug @Argyle W 31-14
07-Sep Bridgeport W 42-0
14-Sep Graham W 31-7
21-Sep @Brownwood W 38-14
28-Sep Lubbock Estacado W 40-18
12-Oct @Big Spring* W 42-24
19-Oct Monahans* W 20-17
26-Nov @Midland Greenwood* W 48-20
02-Nov @Snyder W 34-6

Thoughts & Predictions?

slingshot
11-05-2012, 11:19 PM
Wylie wins... but not by as much as some may think. We are still seriously beat up... a lot of starters in street clothes.

hollywood
11-05-2012, 11:37 PM
Wylie by 14+

Indian 1985
11-05-2012, 11:47 PM
Wylie wins... but not by as much as some may think. We are still seriously beat up... a lot of starters in street clothes.

I hope that your boys weren't banged up too bad, & can come back in the playoffs.

defense51
11-06-2012, 12:12 AM
Wylie by 14+

:ditto:

Sweetwater Red
11-06-2012, 09:47 AM
Sweetwater wins... But not by as much as some may think. We are still seriously beat up... A lot of starters in street clothes.

fify

regaleagle
11-06-2012, 09:50 AM

Do y'all have alot of street people in Abilene, or do some also wear farmboy attire....like coveralls or jeans?

Pendragon13
11-06-2012, 10:08 AM
I hope that your boys weren't banged up too bad, & can come back in the playoffs.Some won't be coming back at all, but the bench has some surprising depth even though we don't have as many players overall as we've had in recent years. Really wish we could have the same team we started the season with for the playoffs, but then I remember our 09 finals run we lost our only LB with varsity experience in two a days, and then our starting QB for a few games as well.....and then went into the SC game vs Gilmer suiting out players that would have been in street clothes for any other game.

Indian 1985
11-06-2012, 10:37 AM
Some won't be coming back at all, but the bench has some surprising depth even though we don't have as many players overall as we've had in recent years. Really wish we could have the same team we started the season with for the playoffs, but then I remember our 09 finals run we lost our only LB with varsity experience in two a days, and then our starting QB for a few games as well.....and then went into the SC game vs Gilmer suiting out players that would have been in street clothes for any other game.

It is a shame that some of the boys will be forced to sit it out. I know they would rather be on the field. I hope that no one else gets injured!
Good luck in the post season.

franz
11-06-2012, 11:51 AM
Wylie 42-18

garciap77
11-06-2012, 12:10 PM
Wylie by 7!

slingshot
11-06-2012, 01:25 PM
Do y'all have alot of street people in Abilene, or do some also wear farmboy attire....like coveralls or jeans?I'll just ignore this one...

nobogey72
11-06-2012, 02:33 PM
Do y'all have alot of street people in Abilene, or do some also wear farmboy attire....like coveralls or jeans?

Not sure what you are asking here, but, if you make the trip to Abilene next year in week 0, I will personally introduce you to a couple of "coverall-wearers" and let you ask them that question.

ccmom
11-06-2012, 02:50 PM
Not sure what you are asking here, but, if you make the trip to Abilene next year in week 0, I will personally introduce you to a couple of "coverall-wearers" and let you ask them that question.

Leave your sisters out of this. :taunt:

nobogey72
11-06-2012, 03:27 PM
Leave your sisters out of this. :taunt:

It's no big deal for my sisters to whoop a man's ass!!! It does bother them if this ass whoopin causes them to miss part of the game. Most of the time it can be handled during a time out.

garciap77
11-07-2012, 08:49 AM
It's no big deal for my sisters to whoop a man's ass!!! It does bother them if this ass whoopin causes them to miss part of the game. Most of the time it can be handled during a time out.

:eek:

ccmom
11-07-2012, 12:32 PM
I sure miss all those goofy Sweetwater posters. :(

garciap77
11-07-2012, 01:04 PM
I sure miss all those goofy Sweetwater posters. :(

:sleeping::sleeping::sleeping:

ccmom
11-07-2012, 01:13 PM
http://www.reporternews.com/news/2012/nov/06/bulldogs-depth-key-to-undefeated-season/

Looking only at Wylie's 9-0 record and No. 2 ranking, it would be easy to assume that everything's gone the Bulldogs's way this season. It's difficult, after all, to do what coach Hugh Sandifer's 2012 squad has done without having a little luck on your side.

But in reality, the Bulldogs have dealt with as much adversity this season as any in recent memory. And that they've remained undefeated despite that, Sandifer said, is a testament to the team's depth.

"It has been a challenging year as far as injuries and sickness and different things, but the kids haven't missed a beat," he said. "We don't make a big deal out of it because it's part of the game. We hate that guys get hurt, but those guys that are taking their place are just stepping right in there and doing great."

With the exception of the quarterback spot, where senior Taylor Grant has started every game, Wylie has had its depth tested at virtually every position group. And in many cases, those lost — be it for a game, a couple of games or the entire season — were all-district type performers.

Linebacker Cole Townsend, thought to be the team's defensive leader coming into the season, was lost during two-a-days to a knee injury, offensive tackle John Lauve has been sidelined most of the year with a dislocated kneecap and star tailback Garrett Martin missed two games with an ankle injury before returning last week against Snyder.

And those injuries, while the most notable, only scratch the surface of what the Bulldogs have had to fight through this year.

Despite playing weekly without key members of its roster, however, Wylie has still managed to outscore opponents by nearly 23 points per game — a point of pride for the Bulldogs players and coaching staff.

"We always tell our players that everybody's starters are good, the key to becoming a great team is how well your backups play," Sandifer said. "We've been tested there all year, and we've had guys step up that probably never thought they'd see as much playing time at certain positions or become such a vital part of our offense or defense. So that's been the key to our success, the quality of the backups that have stepped in and played."

At no point was the quality of the Bulldogs' depth more obvious than it was during wins over Monahans (20-17) and Midland Greenwood (48-20), when injuries to Martin, Zerrie Mack and Hunter Calhoun forced fourth-string tailback Hayden Lewis — a defensive starter at strong safety — to start both ways. All the junior did in response was rush for 292 yards and a pair of touchdowns in those two games.

Martin, who watched Lewis break out from the sideline, said the team has come to expect those types of performances from its backups. He said there's talent up and down the Wylie roster, it's just a matter of certain players getting an opportunity and capitalizing on it.

"You can never predict (injuries) and you never know what's going to happen, but when those kinds of things happen, everybody works so hard in practice, you kind of expect for the next guy to know what he's doing," he said. "Even if they're not a so-called starter, I think they know that they're just as important to this team as the next guy. It's a team effort. It's not just one or two guys, it's not just the starters. It's everybody on the team pulling for each other."

Defensive end Baylen Baker has experienced that dynamic firsthand. The only sophomore on the Wylie roster, he credits his teammates with helping him grow up quickly.

He said the team's practices are so competitive they force players of all levels to improve.

"It's pretty tough," he said. "Everyone goes as hard as they can, trying out every day. You've got to get better, so you can play more in the game and make sure you know what you're doing."

Sandifer said the Bulldogs depth can, to some degree, be attributed to positive peer pressure. He said everyone's held to the same high standard in practice, and those that fail to meet it stand out among teammates.

That sets a team-wide work ethic that shows up big on game nights.

"Any time you have a really good football team, you're going to have guys that love to play the game, whether it's in a game or practice," he said. "And our guys have done that all year. They enjoy being around each other, the camaraderie at practice. And when you have that chemistry at practice, then everybody's going to produce and try harder because they don't want to be the guy that sticks out for not giving an effort.

"That has led to us having quality depth. Guys have prepared knowing that they could go in there at any time, and once we had some guys go down with injuries you could see the guys in practice were like, 'Hey man, we've got to really do our job because we could be the next guy to have to go.' And several of them were. I think that's led to a higher intensity level at practice throughout the year."

bobcat1
11-07-2012, 07:53 PM
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say Whylie by 5. ;)

Sweetwater Red
11-08-2012, 12:56 PM
Sweetwater needs win, G’wood defeat to extend season

November 8, 2012

By Ron Howell

After a gutwrenching loss to Monahans this past week, Sweetwater’s football team must have two things happen Friday in order to get into the playoffs for the first time since 2008.
First, Sweetwater must defeat Wylie, which not only has clinched a playoff spot but is the No. 2-ranked team in the state with a 9-0 record and is 4-0 in district play. Also, Sweetwater must hope that Snyder (1-3, 3-6) beats Greenwood (2-2, 6-3) which would make Sweet-water the district’s No. 3 team with a 3-2 record.
By virtue of its 39-35 come-from-behind win last week, Monahans sewed up the No. 2 playoff spot in the district. Wylie will be considered the No. 1 seed and will play in the Division I bracket even if it loses to Sweetwater, since it has a 20-17 win over Monahans.

Sweetwater will be in the unusual position of rooting for a Snyder win because if Sweetwater and Greenwood both finish 3-2, Greenwood would advance due to its 31-13 win over Sweetwater.
But for a blown 21-point lead in the fourth quarter, Sweetwater would be in a much better position to ex-tend its season, even with a loss to Wylie. But the Mus-tangs have clearly stepped up their play the past two weeks, starting with a 42-9 trouncing of Big Spring.
“This year there have been a lot of lessons learned,” said head coach Shane Mobley, whose team is 4-5 overall in his first season.

“Hopefully there have been a lot of positives. When it’s all said and done, it’s about what you’ve learned.
“If we go over to Wylie and give it everything we can, it will be a testimony,” he said. “It will be a bigger testimony if we go over there and win. It’s about how you finish things.”

Mobley admitted that the loss to Monahans was a “hard, hard” thing to swal-low, “You’ve got to take the good out of it. To build a program, you’ve got to feed on things that happen to you as you grow. You can’t look back and harp on it. What we do with it is our responsiblity as coaches. The way for us to take care of what happened (last) Friday night is to keep working hard.”
Sweetwater also needs a win Friday to assure itself of a non-losing season for the first time since the team’s last postseason appearance in 2008.
“Wylie’s good and they’re ranked high,” Mobley said. “Hopefully we can make them play four quarters.”

http://www.sweetwaterreporter.com/content/sw-needs-win-g%E2%80%99wood-defeat-extend-season

Pendragon13
11-08-2012, 01:51 PM
Hope to see a lot of red on the east side of the stadium tomorrow. C'mon guys...it's not that far to drive and your football program is on the upswing finally!

Sweetwater Red
11-08-2012, 07:27 PM
Freshmen score

Sweetwater 16
Wylie 6

Final

There is no JV game this week due to Wylie's inability to field a team because of injuries.

ccmom
11-08-2012, 11:22 PM
http://m.reporternews.com/news/2012/nov/08/no-2-wylie-looks-to-cap-perfect-regular-season/

SWEETWATER (4-5, 2-2) AT NO. 2 WYLIE (9-0, 4-0)

7:30 P.M. TODAY * BULLDOG STADIUM * KEAN 105.1 FM

What's riding on the game:The Bulldogs, 9-0 for the first time since 2001, can finish off the sixth perfect regular season in their school's history. But they'll be playing a highly motivated Sweewater squad that needs a win and some help from rival Snyder to break a three-year playoff drought. Wylie, on the other hand, has already clinched a postseason berth and at least a share of the District 4-3A title. And with Big Spring mathematically eliminated from playoff contention, the Bulldogs' spot in the Division I bracket is set.

Last week: Quarterback Taylor Grant threw four touchdown passes and the Wylie defense limited Snyder to 140 total yards in a 34-6 road win. Sweetwater saw a 21-point fourth-quarter lead evaporate in a 39-35 home loss to Monahans.

Scouting Sweetwater: If the Mustangs can't pull off the upset of the year today, they'll finish at 4-6 for the third consecutive season. But coach Shane Mobley's first Sweetwater squad could easily have two or three more wins with a few breaks. Aside from blowout losses to Wall (43-20) and Midland Greenwood (31-13), Sweetwater has been competitive in every other game, losing by just four points to Andrews and Monahans and playing Brownwood within one score until a late TD made the final deficit 15 points. Led by sophomore quarterback Kaegan Jeffery, the Sweetwater offense has shown major improvement in its new spread scheme, scoring 34 or more points in three of its last four games. The team's defense, meanwhile, has held six of its nine opponents to 28 points or fewer.

Bulldogs update: After a big game against Snyder last week, Grant has now thrown 24 TD passes in his first season as the Bulldogs' starter. His four TD tosses against the Tigers, which matched his interception total for the year, were a season high. But he's had four three-TD games and has thrown for at least two scores in every game this season.

What the Bulldogs need to do to win: Keep the Sweetwater receivers in front of them. Over the past four weeks, Jeffery has passed for 1,209 yards and 13 TDs, eight of which have gone for 19 or more yards and three that spanned at least 45 yards. The Mustangs' best — and perhaps only — chance at staying in this game is to hit a few of those big plays and build some momentum early. If Wylie can force Sweetwater to sustain drives to score, the Bulldogs should win comfortably.

Daniel Youngblood's prediction: Wylie 38, Sweetwater 14.

ccmom
11-09-2012, 11:09 AM
Freshmen score

Sweetwater 16
Wylie 6

Final

There is no JV game this week due to Wylie's inability to field a team because of injuries.

You should have added a :rolleyes: to the end of this. Haven't I taught you anything??? ;)

Sweetwater Red
11-09-2012, 12:52 PM
You should have added a :rolleyes: to the end of this. Haven't I taught you anything??? ;)

Nah, that would've made it too obvious. Besides it served its purpose without it didn't it? :D

Red&White_9x5
11-09-2012, 01:16 PM
I have picked my Stangs for quite a few weeks now. I would love to see them win and get some help so they would be in the post season BUT I know this is a long shot. I will not predict tonight's ballgame with Wylie, but instead will offer an observation:
Even though the Stangs may not get to the playoffs, it has been a VERY successful season and MANY strides have been made in Coach Mobley's first season at the Head Mustang! These boys are playing MUCH better football than us Mustang Faithful have seen in quite a few years. They play with heart and play with great fundamentals. We haven't seen this since the Jackson era and it is refreshing to say the least. Not trying to knock Slaughter and his crew, but Coach Mobley and his staff have proven that it takes more than a little jacked up "rah rah" to play good football. I am all for coaching with fire and energy (and the new staff does that as well), but this year's proof is in the pudding. Even if the Mustangs don't get in, you can bet that this is just the start of great things to come in the future. Everyone better have gotten their punches in this season because the Big Red is on their way back up.

Best of luck tonight against a very good Wylie Bulldog football team. You don't get to 9-0 by accident, and you can bet Coach Sandifer will have them focused on the task at hand. Wishing everyone a safe trip to and from tonight. GO MUSTANGS!!

ccmom
11-09-2012, 02:02 PM
I have picked my Stangs for quite a few weeks now. I would love to see them win and get some help so they would be in the post season BUT I know this is a long shot. I will not predict tonight's ballgame with Wylie, but instead will offer an observation:
Even though the Stangs may not get to the playoffs, it has been a VERY successful season and MANY strides have been made in Coach Mobley's first season at the Head Mustang! These boys are playing MUCH better football than us Mustang Faithful have seen in quite a few years. They play with heart and play with great fundamentals. We haven't seen this since the Jackson era and it is refreshing to say the least. Not trying to knock Slaughter and his crew, but Coach Mobley and his staff have proven that it takes more than a little jacked up "rah rah" to play good football. I am all for coaching with fire and energy (and the new staff does that as well), but this year's proof is in the pudding. Even if the Mustangs don't get in, you can bet that this is just the start of great things to come in the future. Everyone better have gotten their punches in this season because the Big Red is on their way back up.

Best of luck tonight against a very good Wylie Bulldog football team. You don't get to 9-0 by accident, and you can bet Coach Sandifer will have them focused on the task at hand. Wishing everyone a safe trip to and from tonight. GO MUSTANGS!!

Good post. I, too, am glad to see the Stangs on the upswing. Looking forward to tonight!!

Sweetwater Red
11-09-2012, 02:29 PM

I couldn't have said it any better. One of of the biggest differences I've seen between this year vs. the three while Slaughter was here is the offense's
ability to score from anywhere on the field. That had been missing since Jackson left and it's huge because if defenses don't have to worry about a team's big play ability then they can overload in other areas. (<--just call me Captain Obvious)

I know this year isn't over but i'm already looking forward to next year and the excitement and expectations it's going to bring with it.

Ville-D
11-09-2012, 08:29 PM
Ville-D is in the house...

Sweetwater Red
11-09-2012, 08:40 PM
Sweetwater 0
Wylie 6

9:18 left in 1st quarter

Ville-D
11-09-2012, 08:43 PM
You here Red?

Sweetwater Red
11-09-2012, 08:45 PM
Sweetwater 0
Wylie 14

7:34 left in 1st quarter

Sweetwater Red
11-09-2012, 09:06 PM
Sweetwater 6
Wylie 14

38.4 seconds left in 1st quarter

Blocked punt returned for TD - missed who it was that blocked or returned it.

Yes I am here.

Ville-D
11-09-2012, 09:07 PM
I'm standing in from of the visitor press box. With a Stephenville cap on. Come say hello.

Sweetwater Red
11-09-2012, 09:11 PM
Sweetwater 6
Wylie 21

11:42 left in 2nd quarter

Sweetwater Red
11-09-2012, 09:22 PM
Sweetwater 6
Wylie 28

8:27 left in 2nd quarter

Sweetwater Red
11-09-2012, 09:37 PM
Sweetwater 13
Wylie 28

13 yard TD pass - Jeffery to Norman

2:44 left in 2nd quarter

Sweetwater Red
11-09-2012, 09:42 PM
Sweetwater 13
Wylie 35

1:10 left in 2nd quarter

Sweetwater Red
11-09-2012, 10:26 PM
Sweetwater 13
Wylie 42

11:00 left in 3rd quarter

Sweetwater Red
11-09-2012, 10:38 PM
Sweetwater 20
Wylie 42

1 yard TD run by Jeffery

7:30 left in 3rd quarter

Sweetwater Red
11-09-2012, 10:46 PM
Sweetwater 20
Wylie 49

4:13 left in 3rd quarter

Sweetwater Red
11-09-2012, 11:05 PM
Sweetwater 20
Wylie 55

9:19 left in 4th quarter

Sweetwater Red
11-09-2012, 11:24 PM
Sweetwater 20
Wylie 55

Final

Pendragon13
11-09-2012, 11:34 PM
Even though the score doesn't reflect it, I thought the stangs gave us a pretty good game. Thanks to the Sweetwater fans for coming over tonight..probably the largest visiting crowd other than Graham and Monahans. Wind was out of control by the end of the 3rd quarter!

We had some more injuries tonight, and at least one new one that has me concerned for the playoffs. :(