PDA

View Full Version : Longhorns-Aggies to play football game maybe?

Scoop27
11-04-2012, 11:17 PM
Cotton Bowl president and chief executive officer Rick Baker already was salivating about the box office appeal of a Texas-Texas A&M matchup even before the Aggies officially left for the Southeastern Conference.

"I think we'd have to have two or three stadiums worth of seats for all of the demand," Baker told the Fort Worth Star-Telegram last November only a few minutes after Justin Tucker's game-winning kick appeared to end the storied 118-game rivalry.

So you can imagine the unbridled excitement across the state if the two old rivals hooked up once more with feeling at Jerry World in Arlington on Jan. 4.

One of the bitterest rivalries in college football appeared to have ended when the Aggies left for greener pastures in the SEC. The Longhorn Network was the biggest obstacle that pushed them apart.

Before they split, Tucker drilled a 40-yard field goal as time expired in their final game last season. It gave the Longhorns a 76-37-5 edge in the series, although the Aggies like to tell you they are 15-13 against UT since 1984.

Tucker's kick is still a moment cursed by Aggies everywhere. The play receives as big a reaction when shown on the Longhorns' Godzillatron scoreboard at UT games before Vince Young's BCS title-winning touchdown or any of Ricky Williams' jaunts to a Heisman Trophy.

Tough finale for Aggies

A&M fans hated to see the rivalry end like that. Playing again in the Cotton Bowl would be an intriguing litmus test for the new and improved Aggies with Kevin Sumlin and Johnny Manziel.

Truthfully, all of the bowl games outside the Bowl Championship Series title game struggle for much spectator appeal.

But a chance to match two tradition-steeped rivals in a game that appeared impossible to imagine so soon would be spectator and television ratings gold. It would be the Cotton Bowl's biggest box-office hit since Craig Curry was fumbling punts when the Longhorns were playing for national championships back in the early 1980s.

The chances of putting together the game were improved by the strong performances by the Aggies in their convincing 38-13 victory at Mississippi State and by the Longhorns' 31-22 triumph at Texas Tech.

But two late games Saturday night made the chances even better. Alabama's dramatic comeback victory at LSU and San Diego State's triumph at Boise State tipped a few more dominoes, pushing the Aggies and Longhorns closer to playing again.

hsbtex
11-05-2012, 03:26 AM
Imagine what Deloss Dodds' face would look like if this game happens.

Rabid Cougar
11-05-2012, 09:32 AM
Want to see the Aggies score 80 points do they?

Crow22
11-05-2012, 09:43 AM
Oh how I pray this happens....

Saggy Aggie
11-05-2012, 11:58 AM
A terrible defense against that offense....

I hope I get to see this matchup

Aesculus gilmus
11-05-2012, 12:11 PM
The Aggies are going into Tuscaloosa Saturday and are going to destroy Alabama. They will be in a BCS bowl when all is said and done. Last time I checked, Cotton Bowl had not achieved that status.

lbjacj
11-05-2012, 12:49 PM
A terrible defense against that offense....

I hope I get to see this matchup

Yea the Aggies defense isn't the best in the world! ;)

Saggy Aggie
11-05-2012, 02:21 PM
Yea the Aggies defense isn't the best in the world! ;)

A&M defense >>>> Baylor/TTU/WVU etc

stxtiger
11-05-2012, 02:28 PM
As an Aggie, I am not sure I want to play Texas. They didn't want to play us and we shouldn't want to play them in the Cotton Bowl. It will however be funny to see Dodds head explode when he is "we won't play them for the considerable future" comment comes crashing down around him the first year.

jason
11-05-2012, 02:32 PM
As an Aggie, I am not sure I want to play Texas. They didn't want to play us and we shouldn't want to play them in the Cotton Bowl. It will however be funny to see Dodds head explode when he is "we won't play them for the considerable future" comment comes crashing down around him the first year.

there is a difference in not choosing to play somebody and having to play them due to bowl game selections

stxtiger
11-05-2012, 02:45 PM
there is a difference in not choosing to play somebody and having to play them due to bowl game selections

Not what I am saying. Many Aggies are chomping at the bit for this game. I would much rather play a B1G school.

jdawg2012
11-05-2012, 02:57 PM
Oh how I pray this happens....

:ditto:

NastySlot
11-05-2012, 06:34 PM
Would they have to play isn't it by invitation? I for one hope it doesn't happen. The horns will more than likely win out and get a BCS game on name appeal. LSU and OU will end up in CB.

Old Tiger
11-05-2012, 06:56 PM
If the horns keep it simple on d and don't do so much exotic blitzing I think they could match up well with the ags. Just gotta keep everything in front of them and make tackles while not allowing much YAC.

As long as Mack doesn't stick his nose in the offensive playcalling they have an advantage over the Ag D.

Would be a good fun game.

Ranger354
11-05-2012, 07:23 PM
My siblings and my parents graduated from either UT or A&M. I would love to see Johnny football play this game. Run!!!!!!! Johnny!!!!!!!!! Run!!!!!!!!!!!

A&M by 2TDs

Rabid Cougar
11-05-2012, 07:25 PM
If the horns keep it simple on d and don't do so much exotic blitzing I think they could match up well with the ags. Just gotta keep everything in front of them and make tackles while not allowing much YAC.

As long as Mack doesn't stick his nose in the offensive playcalling they have an advantage over the Ag D.

Makes no difference. The Human video game runs circles around them.

Bull Butter
11-05-2012, 07:30 PM
The horns will more than likely win out and get a BCS game on name appeal. LSU and OU will end up in CB.

You do realize in order for them to win out, they have to beat this guy in the stadium named for him (and his family)
http://cdn0.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/5276284/20120901_ajw_as4_073_extra_large_medium.jpg

hsbtex
11-05-2012, 07:35 PM

What??? It took them a last second touchdown to beat Kansas...Kansas! Hysterical when mark may and lou holze called them the worst two loss team in the country. Their defensive ranking speaks for itself . My only question would be if the scoreboard at Jerry's house shows triple digits

Rabid Cougar
11-05-2012, 07:36 PM
You do realize in order for them to win out, they have to beat this guy in the stadium named for him (and his family)
http://cdn0.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/5276284/20120901_ajw_as4_073_extra_large_medium.jpg

:iagree:

NastySlot
11-05-2012, 07:36 PM

Yeah I realize and think it would be tough but Mack got back to coaching football and d might be fixed now.

Old Tiger
11-05-2012, 07:59 PM
What??? It took them a last second touchdown to beat Kansas...Kansas! Hysterical when mark may and lou holze called them the worst two loss team in the country. Their defensive ranking speaks for itself . My only question would be if the scoreboard at Jerry's house shows triple digits
And Texas completely dominated Ole Miss a team A&M only beat by 3 points in the final minutes.