PDA

View Full Version : 3A Playoffs Rd 1: District 7 vs District 8

hollywood
11-04-2012, 08:50 PM
Let's get it started! I know it's a tad premature, but who cares. We all know who's coming out of both districts.

D1
Stephenville (Dist Champs) vs Burnet

D2
Glen Rose vs Brownwood
Alvarado vs Gatesville (Dist Champs)

greendawg84
11-04-2012, 09:04 PM
Let's get it started! I know it's a tad premature, but who cares. We all know who's coming out of both districts.

D1
Stephenville (Dist Champs) vs Burnet

D2
Glen Rose vs Brownwood
Alvarado vs Gatesville (Dist Champs)

Sville week off , not good for my dawgs ( who have to beat Lampasas Friday) . So lets not kid ourselves , Sville rest another week before the next game whoever that might be. This one will be UGLY, Nuf said about that one.

GR beats BW.
GV beats Alvarado.

GR
ALVARILLO

Looks good to me

Hornet
11-04-2012, 09:37 PM
Stephenville will beat the "Dawg" out of Burnet, Glen Rose will wear out Brownwood....Gatesville over Alvarado.

83Indian
11-04-2012, 11:47 PM
Alvarado

COBRAFOOTBALL
11-05-2012, 08:14 AM
Ville by as many as they want.
GR by 21
Alvarado by 17

Dist 7 that much better.

Cam
11-05-2012, 09:53 AM
Nevertheless....if Burnet makes it in...they will show up to play!....better take em' down while ya got the chance...cause Burnet's time is comin' real soon!!:2thumbsup

hollywood
11-05-2012, 10:32 AM
Nevertheless....if Burnet makes it in...they will show up to play!....better take em' down while ya got the chance...cause Burnet's time is comin' real soon!!:2thumbsup

Good to hear Cam. I like Burnet!

hollywood
11-05-2012, 10:41 AM
D1
Stephenville by 28+

D2
Glen Rose by 28+
Alvarado by 14+

I agree with Cobra, district 7 is that much stronger this season. Probably will change next season. Burnet, Brownwood, and Liberty Hill are showing signs of improvement and maturity with the young teams this season. Gatesville's QB is a senior and their main weapon. They will be down slighty next season. They remind me of Snyder when Ward was their main weapon. Shut Ward down, shut Snyder down. No one has been able to do it this season to Gatesville. Alvarado has the best shot at it.

Good luck to all teams, it's going to be fun! Can't wait. It's the most wonderful time of the year.

Indian 1985
11-05-2012, 01:07 PM
Ville by as many as they want.
GR by 21
Alvarado by 17

Dist 7 that much better.

Ville - True.
GR - Probably true
Alvarado - If the tribe can stop making penalties, overcome their mental mistakes, and play a stellar game... True

hollywood
11-05-2012, 01:46 PM
Ville - True.
GR - Probably true
Alvarado - If the tribe can stop making penalties, overcome their mental mistakes, and play a stellar game... True

A lot of if's in there Indian. No team should take Gatesville lightly. They are real good. But, Alvarado has already faced 2 of the of the top spread offenses in the state. Gatesville doesn't have as many horses under the hood as Sville or Glen Rose does.

Quick analogy using a Ford Mustang fittlingly:
Sville = GT 500 Super Snake (950 HP)
Glen Rose = GT 500 (650 HP)
Gatesville = GT (420 HP)

:)

Ville-D
11-05-2012, 01:51 PM
If Lampasas can beat Burnet and Liberty Hill can beat Gatesville then it'll be:

Brownwood - D1
Gatesville - D2
Liberty Hill - D2

Am I correct here? I know it is a very long shot, but it is still not a lock yet.

Also Alvarado has to take care of Venus.

Gatesville is a 15 point favorite
Burnet is a 21 point favorite
Alvarado is a 30 point favorite

:stirpot::stirpot::stirpot:

Indian 1985
11-05-2012, 02:13 PM
A lot of if's in there Indian. No team should take Gatesville lightly. They are real good. But, Alvarado has already faced 2 of the of the top spread offenses in the state. Gatesville doesn't have as many horses under the hood as Sville or Glen Rose does.

Quick analogy using a Ford Mustang fittlingly:
Sville = GT 500 Super Snake (950 HP)
Glen Rose = GT 500 (650 HP)
Gatesville = GT (420 HP)

:)

Yeah, the IF factor was intentional. I know our boys can perform a lot better than they have been. The question is... Will they?
Sometimes, your greatest enemy, is yourself.

Bassact
11-05-2012, 02:43 PM
Yeah, the IF factor was intentional. I know our boys can perform a lot better than they have been. The question is... Will they?
Sometimes, your greatest enemy, is yourself.

Amen!

hollywood
11-06-2012, 08:01 AM
Likely matchups and venues, but still not official

D1
Stephenville vs Burnet @ Waco ISD

D2
Glen Rose vs Brownwood @ Tarleton in Stephenville
Alvarado vs Gatesville ?

All Friday night games

ahs_indian_fan
11-06-2012, 09:09 AM
Likely matchups and venues, but still not official

D1
Stephenville vs Burnet @ Waco ISD

D2
Glen Rose vs Brownwood @ Tarleton in Stephenville
Alvarado vs Gatesville ?

All Friday night games

If Stephenville and Waco are taken for Friday night, where does Alvarado-Gatesville play ... Meridian? Is Corsicana taken, or is that too far out of the way?

GrTigers6
11-06-2012, 10:09 AM
If Stephenville and Waco are taken for Friday night, where does Alvarado-Gatesville play ... Meridian? Is Corsicana taken, or is that too far out of the way?
Unofficial word I got was tarleton because brownwood wanted to flip for Waco or Abilene so they decided to let us be home team in stephenville!

Indian 1985
11-06-2012, 10:47 AM
Unofficial word I got was tarleton because brownwood wanted to flip for Waco or Abilene so they decided to let us be home team in stephenville!

Double bonus for GR!
1. It is very close to home.
2. College facilities are so much nicer than any high school's. (Not that yours aren't beautiful)

hollywood
11-06-2012, 10:49 AM
Double bonus for GR!
1. It is very close to home.
2. College facilities are so much nicer than any high school's. (Not that yours aren't beautiful)

Sure would be nice if Stephenville and Burnet would play on Sat in Waco. We could catch both BWD vs GR and SV vs BRNT. ;)

swarm
11-06-2012, 10:59 AM
gville vs alvarado/venus at waco midway

DKfromDUB
11-06-2012, 11:00 AM
Do we have a for sure time and date for the Stephenville game yet?

DKfromDUB
11-06-2012, 11:04 AM
Sure would be nice if Stephenville and Burnet would play on Sat in Waco. We could catch both BWD vs GR and SV vs BRNT. ;)

:2thumbsup:iagree:

Indian 1985
11-06-2012, 11:04 AM

Venus only has a slim chance. (if Alvarado sends in the 8th grade team on Friday night.) :)

COBRAFOOTBALL
11-06-2012, 11:05 AM
i wouldnt be opposed to Alv/GV in Glen Rose.....

COBRAFOOTBALL
11-06-2012, 11:06 AM
Venus only has a slim chance. (if Alvarado sends in the 8th grade team on Friday night.) :)

Id beat Lee's (#8) Ass if they lost to Venis!

Matthew328
11-06-2012, 11:08 AM
I heard Gatesville vs. Alvarado will be Friday at Midway...not official though
Stephenville-Burnet's first choice is Friday at Waco ISD, thats' pending the results of today's flip with Waco and Fort Worth ISD

Indian 1985
11-06-2012, 11:08 AM

LOL!
I think Lee knows that.

hollywood
11-06-2012, 11:13 AM

LOL... yeah, he wouldn't have one left after you got through with him.

hollywood
11-06-2012, 11:15 AM

Lol... That's like saying Alvarado vs Gatesville/Liberty Hill at Waco Midway.

Indian 1985
11-06-2012, 11:15 AM
LOL... yeah, he wouldn't have one left after you got through with him.

Actually, I think Lee would beat his own ass before J could get to him.

DKfromDUB
11-06-2012, 11:20 AM
I heard Gatesville vs. Alvarado will be Friday at Midway...not official though
Stephenville-Burnet's first choice is Friday at Waco ISD, thats' pending the results of today's flip with Waco and Fort Worth ISD

dang... how long does a coin flip take? you know they have an app for that

GrTigers6
11-06-2012, 11:29 AM
i wouldnt be opposed to Alv/GV in Glen Rose.....

It would have to be on thursday or Saturday because they wont book a game when we are playing, Just FYI

Sville
11-06-2012, 12:19 PM
Its official

20 min ago from SHS

If the Jackets play Burnet (very likely) in the first round of the football playoffs then they will play the game on Friday November 16 at 7:30 pm at Waco ISD stadium.

COBRAFOOTBALL
11-06-2012, 12:33 PM
Its official

20 min ago from SHS

Now you can let SV get 28 pts up in first half and possibly catch Alvarado at Midway! 2nd half.

hollywood
11-06-2012, 01:19 PM
Now you can let SV get 28 pts up in first half and possibly catch Alvarado at Midway! 2nd half.

Not being overconfident or anything, but if it works out that way, that's my plan. I look forward to watching #8 run all over that "potent" Hornet D. :D

COBRAFOOTBALL
11-06-2012, 01:35 PM
Not being overconfident or anything, but if it works out that way, that's my plan. I look forward to watching #8 run all over that "potent" Hornet D. :D

He was pretty frisky in yesterdays practice. I bet he does..

Smitty
11-06-2012, 01:44 PM
where am I going to eat? you know its good to have a plan ahead of time!

refereedoc
11-06-2012, 03:21 PM
Chuys is about 2 miles from the stadium on the road you turn on.

Ville-D
11-06-2012, 03:37 PM
Chuys is about 2 miles from the stadium on the road you turn on.

I will be there!

Rabid Cougar
11-06-2012, 03:45 PM
Lots of places. Just be ready to wait. K-State is coming to town on Saturday. Fridays are bad on home game weekends.

hollywood
11-07-2012, 12:27 PM
I forgot to mention I saw Glen Rose and Alvarado scouts at the Gatesville/Brownwood game. They didn't leave early. Stayed the entire game. Couldn't get enough I suppose. They know who they'll likely play. ;)

And you know Stephenville scouts will be at the Burnet/Lampasas game this Friday.

hollywood
11-07-2012, 12:30 PM
I also heard yesterday that the Sville players are ready to unleash on Burnet after losing out in 7 on 7 to them in College Station this summer. I sure would hate to be a Bulldog next Friday. :eek:

Cam
11-07-2012, 02:01 PM
I also heard yesterday that the Sville players are ready to unleash on Burnet after losing out in 7 on 7 to them in College Station this summer. I sure would hate to be a Bulldog next Friday. :eek:

Look at hollywood...this Friday's games and outcomes aren't even here yet...and he's already pickin' fights with Greendawg! Shoot! Lamp might have something to say about Burnet going anywhere!....you might find yourself playin' The Wood....
Anyway, I hear ya hollywood....I've been tryin' to tell them boys IF they do win this Friday they shouldn't bother makin' that trip next week!....There's just too much extraterrestrial stuff following them folks around! ....But all I get from them is some really dirty looks!....
BTW....ain't no such thing as "hatin' to be a Bulldog"....a Panther maybe....but not a Bulldog!...:D

greendawg84
11-07-2012, 02:25 PM

Damn Dollywood , we gots to win this week fore we can worry about next week. Least that's the way we do it down her in Dawg country. :doh:

hollywood
11-07-2012, 02:32 PM
Look at hollywood...this Friday's games and outcomes aren't even here yet...and he's already pickin' fights with Greendawg! Shoot! Lamp might have something to say about Burnet going anywhere!....you might find yourself playin' The Wood....
Anyway, I hear ya hollywood....I've been tryin' to tell them boys IF they do win this Friday they shouldn't bother makin' that trip next week!....There's just too much extraterrestrial stuff following them folks around! ....But all I get from them is some really dirty looks!....
BTW....ain't no such thing as "hatin' to be a Bulldog"....a Panther maybe....but not a Bulldog!...:D

:wave:

:stirpot:

hollywood
11-07-2012, 02:39 PM
Damn Dollywood , we gots to win this week fore we can worry about next week. Least that's the way we do it down her in Dawg country. :doh:

:D

Cheers to you greendawg. Tell Coach Jones howdy for me. ;)

greendawg84
11-07-2012, 03:21 PM
:D

Cheers to you greendawg. Tell Coach Jones howdy for me. ;)

Cheers ?? Does that mean you are buying the Beer , IF we do get to play The Ville ?

hollywood
11-07-2012, 03:41 PM
Cheers ?? Does that mean you are buying the Beer , IF we do get to play The Ville ?

Now greendawg, you know alkeehaul ain't alowd at UIL events! You may need a 12 pack or 2 afterward though. It might ease the pain a little. :taunt:

Cam
11-07-2012, 03:58 PM
Now greendawg, you know alkeehaul ain't alowd at UIL events! You may need a 12 pack or 2 afterward though. It might ease the pain a little. :taunt:

Greendawg sneaks em' in his trenchcoat!!......Pain? What pain?....ya gotta remember, neither one of us has a dawg in this fight nomo....both our boys gradu-macated together a few years back.....dang I miss those days and that nasty ol' temper Greendawgs kid had!!....How he never got thrown out of a game I'll never know....

greendawg84
11-07-2012, 04:09 PM
Greendawg sneaks em' in his trenchcoat!!......Pain? What pain?....ya gotta remember, neither one of us has a dawg in this fight nomo....both our boys gradu-macated together a few years back.....dang I miss those days and that nasty ol' temper Greendawgs kid had!!....How he never got thrown out of a game I'll never know....

***** Disclaimer Alert ****

That oldest boy of mine gets that temper from his momma. :rolleyes:
That's all I gots to say bout that.

toddg
11-07-2012, 04:34 PM

***** Disclaimer Alert ****

That oldest boy of mine gets that temper from his momma. :rolleyes:
That's all I gots to say bout that.

http://www.smileyvault.com/albums/userpics/13802/lol.gif (http://www.smileyvault.com/)

LHPfactory
11-07-2012, 04:38 PM

Cam is it true, in addition to eating under garments you get around UILs no alcohol rule by way of an alcohol enema ???.....

greendawg84
11-07-2012, 04:47 PM
Cam is it true, in addition to eating under garments you get around UILs no alcohol rule by way of an alcohol enema ???.....

DAHAMMMMM ! Nope not gonna touch that one either. LOL

Cam
11-08-2012, 09:29 AM

Nope!....not true!.....Fact is, I didn't even know about this sort of practice until recently when I heard about it on the news....No, my rectumbilious don't take too kindly to foreign objects!...Hell, last time I had a prostrate exam, ol' Recty bit the docs finger and spit out his finger nail!....Anyways, how did YOU know about this enema stuff??:thinking:....Secret fantasies perhaps??...It's OK man, it's OK, we all have em'......:blush:

LHPfactory
11-08-2012, 10:01 AM
Nope!....not true!.....Fact is, I didn't even know about this sort of practice until recently when I heard about it on the news....No, my rectumbilious don't take too kindly to foreign objects!...Hell, last time I had a prostrate exam, ol' Recty bit the docs finger and spit out his finger nail!....Anyways, how did YOU know about this enema stuff??:thinking:....Secret fantasies perhaps??...It's OK man, it's OK, we all have em'......:blush:

NO!, gosh, never.... :blush: aw I mean in my profession I see "bad things man" .... "bad things"

I was just wondering why your farts smelled like Jack Daniels.....

hollywood
11-08-2012, 10:55 AM
Just one more day and we'll know the fate of District 8. :)

panfan
11-08-2012, 11:00 AM
Just one more day and we'll know the fate of District 8. :)
fate of 8 - damn, that is literary genius:D

ccmom
11-08-2012, 11:51 PM
http://m.reporternews.com/news/2012/nov/08/all-state-kicker-matt-mccrane-pulling-double-for/

Special to the Reporter-News BROWNWOOD — Matt McCrane is taking one for his team this season.

Already an all-state player with a chance at a college scholarship as a kicker, McCrane was willing to help the Brownwood Lions' football team as a receiver during his senior season.

"I have no doubt that Matt can kick in college, and that he will kick in college," said Bob Shipley, the Lions' head coach. "But there's no doubt his unselfishness to help out as a receiver slowed his progress as a kicker. When they're voting on all-state teams this year, his stats aren't going to stand out like they did last year."

McCrane was a consensus Class 3A all-state kicker last year, making the first team on theoldcoach.com and the second team on The Associated Press and Texas Sports Writers Association teams. McCrane last year made 31 of 32 extra-point kicks, seven of nine field goal attempts and recorded touchbacks on 19 of 34 kickoffs. He also grabbed attention with a school-record 52-yard field goal during the 2011 playoffs.

A 5-foot-11, 165-pound senior, McCrane actually was in line to be Brownwood's starting quarterback this season. That changed when Chris Keesee moved to town late last spring with his dad, new Brownwood assistant coach Aaron Keesee. Chris Keesee already had a year's experience on the varsity level in 2011 at Ballinger, where his dad had been head coach.

"I thought we had three quarterbacks that were pretty equal, but I noticed we needed another receiver," McCrane said. "The coaches saw the need at receiver, too. I already knew the plays from being the quarterback so that made (the transition) easier."

McCrane, who never had previously played receiver, made his first appearance during 7-on-7 games last summer.

"I was a little disappointed about not playing quarterback because that's what I had played since the seventh grade," McCrane

said. "But when I earned a spot at receiver, I knew it helped the team.

"I'm not very fast (4.9 seconds in the 40-yard dash) but I'm quick. Whether I'm running pass routes or blocking or whatever I do, I do it 100 percent. Having played quarterback made it easier to see where the holes are in the defense."

McCrane currently is Brownwood's second-leading receiver with 25 catches for 303 yards and a touchdown. The Lions, 5-4 overall and 3-1 in District 8-3A, have clinched their fourth consecutive playoff appearance even before tonight's regular-season finale against Llano.

"I miss playing quarterback, but catching the ball is a different feeling than throwing a touchdown pass or kicking a field goal," McCrane said. "With the tradition of our program, being a part of it on the statistics is special."

McCrane didn't start kicking until his sophomore season on the Lions' junior varsity team. He was promoted to the varsity to kick off during the playoffs as Brownwood advanced to the 2010 state semifinals.

During the summer after his sophomore season, McCrane attended a Kicking World camp in the Dallas-Fort Worth area and won the camp's Golden Boot Award as the best kicker.

"It just kind of went from there with my kicking," he said.

After his all-state junior season in 2011, McCrane attended two high-ranking kicking camps — Kohl's Professional Camp in Dallas and the National Camp Series in San Antonio. After the National Camp Series, McCrane was ranked No. 1 for that camp and No. 3 nationally.

Although he would do anything to help his team — he even punted some last year — McCrane acknowledges that playing receiver has hurt his effectiveness as a kicker this year.

"My legs are pretty much dead from running routes and blocking," he said. "That doesn't seem like a big deal, but the stats show it's pretty difficult. I should be at 70 percent on my kickoffs going for touchbacks. I'm at 50 percent now. My extra points and field goals have been about normal."

McCrane currently has 10 touchbacks on 27 kickoffs (37 percent). He's also 23-of-24 on extra points and 2-of-4 on field goals, converting from 28 and 46 yards.

"Matt hasn't had as many field goal opportunities because our offense isn't as potent as in the past, and because we've been behind in ballgames and we needed to try and score touchdowns," Shipley said. "But Matt still stays after our offensive practice and kicks and kicks and kicks. If we needed it in a tight ballgame, it wouldn't scare me to try a field goal of 50 or even 55 yards with him."

Fewer field goal opportunities, combined with playing receiver, figure to cost McCrane some postseason kicking honors this season and possibly a college scholarship. He said 15 kickers around the nation had been offered NCAA Division I scholarships, but within the last month, the coaches at the kicking camps he attended told McCrane he might have to walk on.

Most Division I teams don't offer kickers scholarships until after they prove themselves and win the starting position.

"A lot of kickers don't define themselves until they're 20 or 21," Shipley said. "A scholarship is a big investment to make in an 18-year-old kicker who may not be mature or physically developed. But Matt's a football player, not just a kicker. He's not over there on the sideline going through those crazy superstitious things while the game's going on. He has been in the battle as a quarterback and as a receiver."

McCrane, who has had two scholarship offers from Division II colleges, would love to kick for the University of Texas, where his dad, Steven McCrane, once was a scholarship tennis player. Although he ranks No. 22, academically, out of a Brownwood class of 196 students, Matt McCrane is still waiting to be accepted to UT. He would have to walk on at Texas, which already has seven kickers.

Other options are Kansas State, where he has already been admitted and offered the chance to walk on, and SMU.

"I'd rather have an education than play football," said McCrane, who wants to major in business or marketing. "I'm willing to go to UT with no football if that's what it has to be."

While his waiting game plays out in recruiting, McCrane has been selected to play in the International Bowl, a high school all-star game scheduled for Feb. 1 in Austin. In the meantime, McCrane is focused on helping the Lions advance in the playoffs.

"I really think one person can make a difference," he said. "That's what I'm trying to do — whether it's playing receiver, kicker or quarterback. I'll do anything to help our team."

ccmom
11-08-2012, 11:51 PM
http://m.reporternews.com/news/2012/nov/08/all-state-kicker-matt-mccrane-pulling-double-for/

Special to the Reporter-News BROWNWOOD — Matt McCrane is taking one for his team this season.

Already an all-state player with a chance at a college scholarship as a kicker, McCrane was willing to help the Brownwood Lions' football team as a receiver during his senior season.

"I have no doubt that Matt can kick in college, and that he will kick in college," said Bob Shipley, the Lions' head coach. "But there's no doubt his unselfishness to help out as a receiver slowed his progress as a kicker. When they're voting on all-state teams this year, his stats aren't going to stand out like they did last year."

McCrane was a consensus Class 3A all-state kicker last year, making the first team on theoldcoach.com and the second team on The Associated Press and Texas Sports Writers Association teams. McCrane last year made 31 of 32 extra-point kicks, seven of nine field goal attempts and recorded touchbacks on 19 of 34 kickoffs. He also grabbed attention with a school-record 52-yard field goal during the 2011 playoffs.

A 5-foot-11, 165-pound senior, McCrane actually was in line to be Brownwood's starting quarterback this season. That changed when Chris Keesee moved to town late last spring with his dad, new Brownwood assistant coach Aaron Keesee. Chris Keesee already had a year's experience on the varsity level in 2011 at Ballinger, where his dad had been head coach.

"I thought we had three quarterbacks that were pretty equal, but I noticed we needed another receiver," McCrane said. "The coaches saw the need at receiver, too. I already knew the plays from being the quarterback so that made (the transition) easier."

McCrane, who never had previously played receiver, made his first appearance during 7-on-7 games last summer.

"I was a little disappointed about not playing quarterback because that's what I had played since the seventh grade," McCrane

said. "But when I earned a spot at receiver, I knew it helped the team.

"I'm not very fast (4.9 seconds in the 40-yard dash) but I'm quick. Whether I'm running pass routes or blocking or whatever I do, I do it 100 percent. Having played quarterback made it easier to see where the holes are in the defense."

McCrane currently is Brownwood's second-leading receiver with 25 catches for 303 yards and a touchdown. The Lions, 5-4 overall and 3-1 in District 8-3A, have clinched their fourth consecutive playoff appearance even before tonight's regular-season finale against Llano.

"I miss playing quarterback, but catching the ball is a different feeling than throwing a touchdown pass or kicking a field goal," McCrane said. "With the tradition of our program, being a part of it on the statistics is special."

McCrane didn't start kicking until his sophomore season on the Lions' junior varsity team. He was promoted to the varsity to kick off during the playoffs as Brownwood advanced to the 2010 state semifinals.

During the summer after his sophomore season, McCrane attended a Kicking World camp in the Dallas-Fort Worth area and won the camp's Golden Boot Award as the best kicker.

"It just kind of went from there with my kicking," he said.

After his all-state junior season in 2011, McCrane attended two high-ranking kicking camps — Kohl's Professional Camp in Dallas and the National Camp Series in San Antonio. After the National Camp Series, McCrane was ranked No. 1 for that camp and No. 3 nationally.

Although he would do anything to help his team — he even punted some last year — McCrane acknowledges that playing receiver has hurt his effectiveness as a kicker this year.

"My legs are pretty much dead from running routes and blocking," he said. "That doesn't seem like a big deal, but the stats show it's pretty difficult. I should be at 70 percent on my kickoffs going for touchbacks. I'm at 50 percent now. My extra points and field goals have been about normal."

McCrane currently has 10 touchbacks on 27 kickoffs (37 percent). He's also 23-of-24 on extra points and 2-of-4 on field goals, converting from 28 and 46 yards.

"Matt hasn't had as many field goal opportunities because our offense isn't as potent as in the past, and because we've been behind in ballgames and we needed to try and score touchdowns," Shipley said. "But Matt still stays after our offensive practice and kicks and kicks and kicks. If we needed it in a tight ballgame, it wouldn't scare me to try a field goal of 50 or even 55 yards with him."

Fewer field goal opportunities, combined with playing receiver, figure to cost McCrane some postseason kicking honors this season and possibly a college scholarship. He said 15 kickers around the nation had been offered NCAA Division I scholarships, but within the last month, the coaches at the kicking camps he attended told McCrane he might have to walk on.

Most Division I teams don't offer kickers scholarships until after they prove themselves and win the starting position.

"A lot of kickers don't define themselves until they're 20 or 21," Shipley said. "A scholarship is a big investment to make in an 18-year-old kicker who may not be mature or physically developed. But Matt's a football player, not just a kicker. He's not over there on the sideline going through those crazy superstitious things while the game's going on. He has been in the battle as a quarterback and as a receiver."

McCrane, who has had two scholarship offers from Division II colleges, would love to kick for the University of Texas, where his dad, Steven McCrane, once was a scholarship tennis player. Although he ranks No. 22, academically, out of a Brownwood class of 196 students, Matt McCrane is still waiting to be accepted to UT. He would have to walk on at Texas, which already has seven kickers.

Other options are Kansas State, where he has already been admitted and offered the chance to walk on, and SMU.

"I'd rather have an education than play football," said McCrane, who wants to major in business or marketing. "I'm willing to go to UT with no football if that's what it has to be."

While his waiting game plays out in recruiting, McCrane has been selected to play in the International Bowl, a high school all-star game scheduled for Feb. 1 in Austin. In the meantime, McCrane is focused on helping the Lions advance in the playoffs.

"I really think one person can make a difference," he said. "That's what I'm trying to do — whether it's playing receiver, kicker or quarterback. I'll do anything to help our team."

hollywood
11-09-2012, 07:44 AM
Good morning! It's gut check time. Today's the day we see the fate of District 8. Teams fighting for another win on the season and some fighting to stay alive another week. Best of luck to all playing tonight and may the best teams on this Friday night, win.

District 7 will b waiting. :evillol:

COBRAFOOTBALL
11-09-2012, 08:43 AM
Good morning! It's gut check time. Today's the day we see the fate of District 8. Teams fighting for another win on the season and some fighting to stay alive another week. Best of luck to all playing tonight and may the best teams on this Friday night, win.

Alvarado will be ready!!!

hollywood
11-09-2012, 09:19 AM
Alvarado will be ready!!!

That's a fact jack!

Btw, how were the past 2 weeks of practice?

panfan
11-09-2012, 09:33 AM

Guts - check, cup - check, attitude - check. Bring it on.

hollywood
11-09-2012, 09:55 AM
Guts - check, cup - check, attitude - check. Bring it on.

Love it! Give 'em hell Panthers!

hollywood
11-09-2012, 10:04 AM
Hollywood's wish.

A Liberty Hill upset over Gatesville
A Lampasas upset over Burnet

Why?

To keep the Stephenville/Brownwood match up alive. Gotta keep that rivalry going! And it would save Burnet from another butt whooping. :stirpot: :D

All in fun boys and girls... all in fun. But it would be funny. :spitlol:

Red&White_9x5
11-09-2012, 10:09 AM
Hollywood's wish.

A Liberty Hill upset over Gatesville
A Lampasas upset over Burnet

Why?

To keep the Stephenville/Brownwood match up alive. Gotta keep that rivalry going! And it would save Burnet from another butt whooping. :stirpot: :D

All in fun boys and girls... all in fun. But it would be funny. :spitlol:

With all due respect........ If the scenario played out (and i seriously doubt it will), it would not be good for the Wood. Stephenville would crush Brownwood even worse than they did last year and just as bad as they will crush Burnet. I would actually love for the Wood to get it put on them by Stephenville, but I just don't see that matchup happening this year

hollywood
11-09-2012, 01:18 PM
With all due respect........ If the scenario played out (and i seriously doubt it will), it would not be good for the Wood. Stephenville would crush Brownwood even worse than they did last year and just as bad as they will crush Burnet. I would actually love for the Wood to get it put on them by Stephenville, but I just don't see that matchup happening this year

Very slim chance the scenario would happen, but, you never know. I'll be tuning in tonight anyway for all the scores. Should be a fun night.

We'll see how Hillsboro and Venus do against Glen Rose and Alvarado. These games are going to get ugly quick.

GrTigers6
11-09-2012, 01:27 PM
Very slim chance the scenario would happen, but, you never know. I'll be tuning in tonight anyway for all the scores. Should be a fun night.

We'll see how Hillsboro and Venus do against Glen Rose and Alvarado. These games are going to get ugly quick.I am willing to bet our starters get pulled very early kinda like last year when we won 26-6. Dont need any injuries!

COBRAFOOTBALL
11-09-2012, 01:50 PM
That's a fact jack!

Btw, how were the past 2 weeks of practice?
was very good.. I feel sorry for Venus.

hollywood
11-10-2012, 10:53 PM
As expected, the stars have aligned and now it's on like donkey kong!

Predictions:
Stephenville 45
Burnet 14

Glen Rose 42
Brownwood 14

Alvarado 34
Gatesville 14

It's going to be a fun week and a District 7 sweep. :1popcorn: