PDA

View Full Version : Big Spring, One Dirty Team

vp1983
11-03-2012, 09:02 AM
Three weeks ago I read all the unbeleivable horror stories about Abilene Wylie at Big Spring. About dirty play and bad refs. Last night Greenwod had a similar experience. Big Spring is a talented team. More interested in dirty play and cheap shots, than playing football. A whitsle meant nothing to Big Spring or the refs. The flags were only thrown when we tried to defend ourselves. On three different occasions our quarterback had his helmet ripped off. No flags, no attempt to stop it. In the first half the big spring coach ran to our sideline after an altercation and got in our head coaches face. Refs did nothing. The handshake after the game should of never happened. Big Spring players repeatedly spit on the Greenwood players in the handshake.

As long as Ritchey, who has not won a district game in four years, is as Big Spring, Big spring will suck!!! Tannehill should go play for a real coach somewhere else. Kid has an arm.

DUKE22
11-03-2012, 11:43 AM
Ok were you on the sideline? Are you a coach? Did you watch the film? If yes then ok. You are entitled to your opinion I want to make that clear. However coming on here and saying that a coach sucks and kids should go play for someone else is a bit low. Do you know him personally? If you think that Greenwood or Snyder or Big Spring or anyone has a bunch of kids that are angels you are flat out wrong. Things are said every friday night, kids get pushed, coaches get heated. It does not mean someone sucks. I know for a fact he works hard and does not encourage cheap shots or dirty play and 99% of the coaches are the same way. Once again your entitled to your opinion and I was not there either so I will shut up now, but this one kinda bothered me.

wimbo_pro
11-03-2012, 11:55 AM
Any player who spits at another in the hand shake at the end of the game should be kicked off the team. Thats a disgusting display of lack of respect, and reflects on the entire team and town.

Gone Fishing
11-03-2012, 12:13 PM
Any player who spits at another in the hand shake at the end of the game should be kicked off the team. Thats a disgusting display of lack of respect, and reflects on the entire team and town.

Or his a$$ whipped by the two players behind the one who got spit on.

vp1983
11-03-2012, 01:41 PM
Or his a$$ whipped by the two players behind the one who got spit on.

I have no previous opinion of the Big Spring coach. Actions spoke for themselves. The spitting was done, done by players that had nothing to lose. Those spit on had to be restrained by teamates, because they have lots to lose. Playoffs!!!

Ranger Mom
11-04-2012, 09:40 AM
I didn't go to the game, so I can't voice my opinion there one way or the other. I live in Greenwood, all my kids went to school in Greenwood and now my granddaughter goes to school there....so I am very much vested in the Greenwood program. I did, however, go to school with Phillip Ritchey, his brother, his sister and his wife, and I would be SHOCKED to learn that this is the behavior he teaches his players. It is not how he was raised, or the kind of person he is. His brother is the Principal in Big Spring and his sister coaches and teaches at Glen Rose. The entire family is made up of educators.

That being said, I grew up in Coahoma, which is just a few miles from Big Spring, and if the mentality of the Big Spring players is anything like it was 30 years ago, this doesn't surprise me at all. I absolutely hated going to track meets there when my daughter ran track because of the Big Spring students!

bigwood33
11-04-2012, 09:44 AM
In all cases, poor sportsmanship and dirty play is either encouraged or allowed. It is 100% on the coach.

Ranger Mom
11-04-2012, 09:47 AM
In all cases, poor sportsmanship and dirty play is either encouraged or allowed. It is 100% on the coach.

I agree with that!! He definitely needs to get a handle on his team!

Inmateboss
11-04-2012, 10:04 AM
If your not stopping it, your coaching it !!

Expect to win, Play to win!!! Go Graham Steers
Go # 5

Ernest T Bass
11-05-2012, 11:55 AM

I disagree. Case in point; Wylie(Pirates, not Bulldogs). They've been that way for decades.

nobogey72
11-05-2012, 01:00 PM
I disagree. Case in point; Wylie(Pirates, not Bulldogs). They've been that way for decades.

You can't convince me that if a coach has a zero tolerance for cheap shots and late hits that he couldn't get it under control. There are too many programs that DONT play that way to say that a coach can't stop it. The Wylie Pirates must have gone decades without a coach that wouldn't tolerate it.

Ernest T Bass
11-05-2012, 03:19 PM
You can't convince me that if a coach has a zero tolerance for cheap shots and late hits that he couldn't get it under control. There are too many programs that DONT play that way to say that a coach can't stop it. The Wylie Pirates must have gone decades without a coach that wouldn't tolerate it.

I couldn't say. I just know they've been thataway since they were going 0-10 as a 3a team in the 60's, and they're still very much that way. A lot of times, the culture of the community trumps the coach.

vp1983
11-05-2012, 06:23 PM
I couldn't say. I just know they've been thataway since they were going 0-10 as a 3a team in the 60's, and they're still very much that way. A lot of times, the culture of the community trumps the coach.

Kids will do, what they know their coaching staff will allow. In this game, the refs lost control of the game. Big Spring blocked a Greenwood punt, and it was returned for a TD. The 3rd down play prior to this, our quarterback/punter was tackled, then Big Spring ripped his helmet off. The refs forced our punter off the field. This stuff went on the entire game.

As I greeted the Greenwood players, all the talk was how dirty Big Spring was, how they had just been repeatedly spit on.