PDA

View Full Version : Heisman Trophy Question?

Phil C
01-22-2003, 05:24 PM
I know that Desmond Howard of Michigan won the heisman trophy in 1991. He was on a list of saw of the top ten heisman trophy flops in pro football but I can't remember where I saw the list. Can anyone let me know where I can get the list online? It is strange that he was on the top ten list since he was the MVP of Green Bay's super bowl win over the patriots. Maybe his pro career was a disappointed compared to what was expected but to have an MVP be one of the top ten flops seems far fetched to me.

Jacket2000
01-22-2003, 06:40 PM
Well, when a Heisman Trophy winner's career is highlighted by one game, Id call that a flop.
Ive never seen this list, but Id like to. I bet somewhere in the top 5 are Eric Crouch, Andre Ware, and Gino Torretta.
J2K

sinton66
01-22-2003, 10:18 PM
Also add Ty Detmer to that list.

Old Dog
01-22-2003, 10:22 PM
Wasn't the list you speak of in Sports Illustrated a while back. I do recall seeing the list somewhere!

dawgbacker
01-22-2003, 11:36 PM
It was by Sports Illustrated. Here is the link to the story. He did not make the top ten, but he did receive votes. http://espn.go.com/page2/s/list/heisman/flops.html

Keith7
01-22-2003, 11:44 PM
Charlie Ward can be added too

TarponFanInNorthTexas
01-22-2003, 11:47 PM
I'll throw in my two cents here. But I feel that ANYBODY who wins a heisman trophy type award in one sport, and then plays professionally in ANOTHER sport, in my eyes, constitutes consideration for the BIGGEST Heisman flop in history!

1993 - Charlie Ward QB Florida State

Now playing professional basketball as a backup point guard for the NBA's New York Knicks.

big daddy russ
01-23-2003, 01:25 AM
Keith7:
Charlie Ward can be added tooCharlie Ward gave up on football before his pro career ever started to pursue his true love- basketball. His career hasn't been all that bad, either, starting at point guard for the 1999 NBA runner up New York Knickerbockers.

crzyjournalist03
01-24-2003, 09:40 AM
QB's eems to have the toughest time winning the heisman and then living up to expectations. Danny Wuerfell was my favorite QB in the 90's because of his ability. In the NFL, his career game was against Dallas this Thanksgiving, and he still lost. And Eric Crouch's attempt to be a WR was just horrible.

Phil C
01-24-2003, 10:15 AM
Thank you Dawg and that was the list and I made a mistake because Desmond Howard only got votes rather than in the top ten which is still strange because of his MVP in the Super Bowl plus his career has lasted at least ten years.

turbostud
01-24-2003, 12:47 PM
What about Chris Weinke from Florida State? Didnt he win the Heisman a couple a years ago?

spaniard
01-24-2003, 04:49 PM
turbostud:
What about Chris Weinke from Florida State? Didnt he win the Heisman a couple a years ago?being a big fsu fan, i am almost ready to disown weinke. to have rodney peete of all qbs take your spot is just terrible. maybe he should go back to baseball, but i guess it doesnt help that he flopped on that one too. maybe he will get his second wind in a couple of years when hes 35 :D hehe, but i think that away from heisman winners, keyshawn johnson has been the biggest mouth with the smallest payoff in the league, i kinda feel like chris simms will be like that, all the hype money can buy. anywhoo, im rambling too much here.