PDA

View Full Version : Gatesville District 8 Champs

cl1481
11-02-2012, 10:01 PM
Gatesville 35 Brownwood 14

Hornet
11-02-2012, 10:39 PM
No one saw this swarm coming! The Hornets can go 10-0 with a win over Liberty Hill next Friday! District Champs! Way to go Gatesville!

banderafan
11-02-2012, 10:47 PM
No one saw this swarm coming! The Hornets can go 10-0 with a win over Liberty Hill next Friday! District Champs! Way to go Gatesville!

Congrats Gatesville, Dave Campbell predicted you guys to come in 4th in your district!

vtskneb
11-02-2012, 10:47 PM
So does Gatesville get Alvarado and Brownwood/GR rematch from last year?

Eagle 1
11-02-2012, 11:00 PM
What is Gatesville's record? I know they have flying in under the radar most of the season.

Hornet
11-02-2012, 11:28 PM
Gatesville is 9-0 for the season, looks like we will get Alvarado for first playoff game.

toddg
11-02-2012, 11:31 PM
Gatesville is 9-0 for the season, looks like we will get Alvarado for first playoff game.

How did #9 do tonite?

Eagle 1
11-02-2012, 11:33 PM

I thought they were undefeated. Congrats to the Hornets on a great season so far.

cl1481
11-03-2012, 07:37 AM
How did #9 do tonite?

Edmiston 195 yds passing 3 TD's and 92 yds rushing 2 TD's

K-MAC Chuck
11-03-2012, 07:54 AM
Congrats Gatesville, Dave Campbell predicted you guys to come in 4th in your district!

Unfortunately, Dave Campbell's comes out WAY too early these days. Heck, I saw reports on some teams that had names of players who weren't even on the team anymore..

Intresting game to say the least. My friends from Alvarillo what ya thinking?

hollywood
11-03-2012, 09:26 AM
Great atmosphere last night. Both sides were packed and fans standing on the sides everywhere.

hollywood
11-03-2012, 09:27 AM
How did #9 do tonite?

#9 is a play maker!

Eagle 1
11-03-2012, 08:13 PM

I think Dave Campbell also picked McGregor 4th in their district too, and they will finish second behind #2 state ranked Cameron.
It's funny how ever so often an unranked, underrated team comes along.

toddg
11-03-2012, 08:20 PM

We will bring it...gonna be a good one!

ccmom
11-03-2012, 08:24 PM
JW, how do you see Gatesville vs Alvarado playing out? Just curious, since you have seen both now.

hollywood
11-03-2012, 09:22 PM
JW, how do you see Gatesville vs Alvarado playing out? Just curious, since you have seen both now.

Hahaha.. JW?? lol

Good question ccmom. Gatesville is pretty good. Being 9-0 is very commendable. District Champs! I'll be the first one to give them their due respect. They beat my alma matar by 21! :(

As far as a Gatesville/Alvarado match up, unless Alvarado has a bad game, Gatesville didn't appear to have the total package to be able to overcome what Alvarado will bring on defense. They run a spread but nothing to compare to GR or SV. Their QB #9 is good. They have a quick RB #21, and a couple of decent WR's. #5 looks like a RB. Their O-line overall has good size. Defensively, they are suseptable to the run which is not a good thing when playing Alvarado. I can see this game being close in the first half. I think since Alvarado has already played both SV and GR, they'll have a good game plan in stopping Gvilles spread.

My pick is Alvarado by 14+

COBRAFOOTBALL
11-03-2012, 09:44 PM
Hey now... we have to get past Venus first! lol.... (with my most sinister laugh) I hope Alvarillo finds it groove!

hollywood
11-03-2012, 09:49 PM
Hey now... we have to get past Venus first! lol.... (with my most sinister laugh) I hope Alvarillo finds it groove!

Who's Venus? lol

Your #8 will have a good game vs Gatesville's D! :thumbsup:

83Indian
11-03-2012, 09:56 PM
Will have to see how well Gatesville runs the spread. QB has some pretty good stats so this could be another bad match up. This will come down to our defense. As I have said before, we will get our 25 - 30 points and hopefully control the clock. If we can get 2 or 3 defensive stops, we can hang with most teams IMO. After playing Ville and Glen Rose, hopefully Gatesville's spread will seem like slow motion.

We will get into more analysis after hearing about the scouting report which I'm sure Cobra will be privy to.

FB-fanatic
11-03-2012, 10:39 PM
My cousin's kid, #11 Wallace is a "player" for Gville. Goes both ways, defensive back and wide receiver. Great kid.

Hornet
11-03-2012, 11:15 PM
The Hornets are looking forward to the show-down with the Indians! Should be a great game! Hopefully we can get a good venue in Waco....WISD, Midway, or the Case!

Based on the Alv/GR game I am jumping in early with a Gatesville prediction of a WIN. From what I can see GR and Gville offense are machines and the Hornet defense is quick and excellent tacklers.

Hornet Fight Never Dies

83Indian
11-03-2012, 11:20 PM
The Hornets are looking forward to the show-down with the Indians! Should be a great game! Hopefully we can get a good venue in Waco....WISD, Midway, or the Case!

Based on the Alv/GR game I am jumping in early with a Gatesville prediction of a WIN. From what I can see GR and Gville offense are machines and the Hornet defense is quick and excellent tacklers.

Hornet Fight Never Dies

Looking forward to the challenge Hornet!

hollywood
11-03-2012, 11:28 PM

Hornet Fight Never Dies

Hornet, your team is plenty good. I'm just curious... who would you say had the best defense out of the 9 games y'all have played?

hollywood
11-04-2012, 10:49 AM
*Gatesville, study film and roster often. You will be surprised when the first whistle blows how fast this Indian team plays and how hard they hit. And I'm not exaggerating. Key play makers are QB#18, TB's #8 and #11(Thunder and Lightning), TE's #90 and #88(both huge). RB#8 is a workhorse. Very strong RB that has the speed to take it to the house any given play. RB #11 is the lightning in this duo. Very good speed and will break one against Gatesville. Plays a good safety on D as well. QB#18 is the leader and has very good poise at QB, especially since AV is primarily run. But they can throw the ball very well. Their defense is their strength. Very desciplined and swarm to the ball. The LB's are good! D-line will bring strong pass rush pressure. Key to beating AV's defense is many short rocket screens, bubble screens, and slants. They have faced 2 offenses already that are better than Gatesville, so this isn't anything new to them anymore. They have a great coaching staff that ha produced success. Gatesville, get ready. It's going to be a great game.

2012 Alvarado Indians

Offense
Position Player Class Height Weight
LT #64 Cyle Johnson Jr. 5'11 265
LG #62 Andrew Sevener Jr. 5'8 190
C #50 Rowdy Goff Sr. 5'10 190
RG #75 Dylan Spann Jr. 6'1 227
RT #70 Ruben Camperos Sr. 5'11 270
TE #90 Michael Vanderhoff Sr. 6'2 260
WR #16 Jared McCarver Sr. 6'1 150
WR #82 Ben Urbaneck Sr. 5'10 170
QB #18 Kenny West Sr. 6'0 190
FB #38 Hayden Walraven Sr. 6'1 175
TB #8 Lee Hardy Sr. 5'8 168
Defense
DE #99 Brazos Fuller Jr. 5'11 210
NG #89 Dylan Lemons Jr. 6'0 215
DE #42 Marshall Weatherby Jr. 5'10 200
OLB#33 Nathan Cornett Jr. 5'10 180
ILB #46 Brian Dexter Jr. 5'9 180
ILB #12 Marcus Villareal Sr. 5'10 146
OLB#25 Devon Petty Sr. 5'10 175
CB #14 Andrew Leger Jr. 5'10 150
CB #29 David Guillen Sr. 5'8 151
SS #2 Dylan Hudson Jr. 5'11 145
FS #11 Marcus McNeil Sr. 5'11 165

hollywood
11-04-2012, 11:57 AM
Gatesville, congrats again on the District Championship! Well earned.

Round 1 in the playoffs is a very tough draw for any of the District 8 teams. Pick your poison, Stephenville, Glen Rose, or Alvarado. All 3 are playing very good football this season. I was impressed with Gatesville but just know its going to take everything you guys have in the playbook to beat Alvarado.

http://stephenvilleyellowjackets.com/index.php?topic=1194.0

COBRAFOOTBALL
11-04-2012, 01:11 PM
*Gatesville, study film and roster often. You will be surprised when the first whistle blows how fast this Indian team plays and how hard they hit. And I'm not exaggerating. Key play makers are QB#18, TB's #8 and #11(Thunder and Lightning), TE's #90 and #88(both huge). RB#8 is a workhorse. Very strong RB that has the speed to take it to the house any given play. RB #11 is the lightning in this duo. Very good speed and will break one against Gatesville. Plays a good safety on D as well. QB#18 is the leader and has very good poise at QB, especially since AV is primarily run. But they can throw the ball very well. Their defense is their strength. Very desciplined and swarm to the ball. The LB's are good! D-line will bring strong pass rush pressure. Key to beating AV's defense is many short rocket screens, bubble screens, and slants. They have faced 2 offenses already that are better than Gatesville, so this isn't anything new to them anymore. They have a great coaching staff that ha produced success. Gatesville, get ready. It's going to be a great game.

2012 Alvarado Indians

Offense
Position Player Class Height Weight
LT #64 Cyle Johnson Jr. 5'11 265
LG #62 Andrew Sevener Jr. 5'8 190
C #50 Rowdy Goff Sr. 5'10 190
RG #75 Dylan Spann Jr. 6'1 227
RT #70 Ruben Camperos Sr. 5'11 270
TE #90 Michael Vanderhoff Sr. 6'2 260
WR #16 Jared McCarver Sr. 6'1 150
WR #82 Ben Urbaneck Sr. 5'10 170
QB #18 Kenny West Sr. 6'0 190
FB #38 Hayden Walraven Sr. 6'1 175
TB #8 Lee Hardy Sr. 5'8 168
Defense
DE #99 Brazos Fuller Jr. 5'11 210
NG #89 Dylan Lemons Jr. 6'0 215
DE #42 Marshall Weatherby Jr. 5'10 200
OLB#33 Nathan Cornett Jr. 5'10 180
ILB #46 Brian Dexter Jr. 5'9 180
ILB #12 Marcus Villareal Sr. 5'10 146
OLB#25 Devon Petty Sr. 5'10 175
CB #14 Andrew Leger Jr. 5'10 150
CB #29 David Guillen Sr. 5'8 151
SS #2 Dylan Hudson Jr. 5'11 145
FS #11 Marcus McNeil Sr. 5'11 165
Hey! Lee Hardy #8 is 5 ft 10 and 190 lol. Those figures are from his sophmore year lol.

hollywood
11-04-2012, 01:18 PM
Hey! Lee Hardy #8 is 5 ft 10 and 190 lol. Those figures are from his sophmore year lol.

Got any current ones. That would have been funny if Gville fans show up to the game and thought, "damn, they look huge compared to their roster!" lol

COBRAFOOTBALL
11-04-2012, 01:36 PM
Got any current ones. That would have been funny if Gville fans show up to the game and thought, "damn, they look huge compared to their roster!" lol

No Kiddin... Hes 2 biscuits short of being a lineman. lol. Good thing hes fast. He runs like Earl Campbell. He got stung pretty good in the GR game and took it easy in practice all this past week. Sore shoulder. But will be fine for Venus. That #22 from GR might catch him for the district rushing title. I dont know what stats he had last fri night vs Venus.. Lee had a 131 yd lead before their game. We were idle so #22 may have caught him. Dunno. But #8 should rack up some yardage against Venus this Friday night to possibly seal it.

hollywood
11-04-2012, 03:13 PM
No Kiddin... Hes 2 biscuits short of being a lineman. lol. Good thing hes fast. He runs like Earl Campbell. He got stung pretty good in the GR game and took it easy in practice all this past week. Sore shoulder. But will be fine for Venus. That #22 from GR might catch him for the district rushing title. I dont know what stats he had last fri night vs Venus.. Lee had a 131 yd lead before their game. We were idle so #22 may have caught him. Dunno. But #8 should rack up some yardage against Venus this Friday night to possibly seal it.

Lol, he also plays bigger than 5'10" 190 lbs. Very solid runner. Going to be interesting to see how next weeks rushing stats finish for sure.

Gatesville being district champs shows they are strong, but how will they fair against tougher competion is the question. ;)

Hornet
11-04-2012, 03:47 PM
In reply to the best defense, that is a good question. The team that held us to the least amount of points was Connally who held Gville to 24 points. Most of this seasons talk has been about our offense, but most importantly has been our defense, which has held both ground and pssing opponets to an avg. of 15 points per game.

Thus far no defense has been able to stop the Hornet offense. The last thing anyone one wants to do is get in a shoot-out with the Hornets, just ask LaVega. Ball control teams have found themselves in the game until first half, then once Gatesville gets ahead....it's very difficult to play catch-up. The defense is quick,, smart, strong and disciplned. The dbs will knock the ever loving daylights out of the opponet. They have the luxury of knowing if they give up a big play by playing aggressive the offense has their back.

hollywood
11-04-2012, 04:03 PM
In reply to the best defense, that is a good question. The team that held us to the least amount of points was Connally who held Gville to 24 points. Most of this seasons talk has been about our offense, but most importantly has been our defense, which has held both ground and pssing opponets to an avg. of 15 points per game.

Thus far no defense has been able to stop the Hornet offense. The last thing anyone one wants to do is get in a shoot-out with the Hornets, just ask LaVega. Ball control teams have found themselves in the game until first half, then once Gatesville gets ahead....it's very difficult to play catch-up. The defense is quick,, smart, strong and disciplned. The dbs will knock the ever loving daylights out of the opponet. They have the luxury of knowing if they give up a big play by playing aggressive the offense has their back.

Good post Hornet. Alvarado held Sville to 10 points in the first half. Their defense is real good. You are right about a spread offense. The luxury of being able to score in 4-5 play drives is a huge advantage against a ball control team.

COBRAFOOTBALL
11-04-2012, 04:41 PM
Good post Hornet. Alvarado held Sville to 10 points in the first half. Their defense is real good. You are right about a spread offense. The luxury of being able to score in 4-5 play drives is a huge advantage against a ball control team.

all ALvarado will need to do is make a couple of stops. Keep mistakes and Penalties down and We will be tough. I havent seen any film on Gatesville yet. Im still out of the loop on them. Im about to watch the film on Gatesville Vs. Waco Connally. Ill let you know tonight what i think.

hollywood
11-04-2012, 05:09 PM
all ALvarado will need to do is make a couple of stops. Keep mistakes and Penalties down and We will be tough. I havent seen any film on Gatesville yet. Im still out of the loop on them. Im about to watch the film on Gatesville Vs. Waco Connally. Ill let you know tonight what i think.

Ok!

IMO, Alvarado should man handle Gatesville. Let me know what you think.

Eagle 1
11-04-2012, 06:31 PM
Ok!

Yea, I wouldn't worry about them Hornets either. :)

COBRAFOOTBALL
11-04-2012, 06:56 PM
Ok!

Ok saw the film. Connally didn't even show up to the game IMO. Plus playing field was really wet and sloppy. Slowed the sweeping team (Connally) to a crawl. WC qb couldn't hit the broad side of a barn passing. Turnovers were killer too.

GV looked pretty solid but slow. No running game at all so to speak. Punted many times. You punt to Alvarado they will make you pay.
If we could have made GR punt 2 times we could have won that ballgame..

I think our fast LB's will slow down any pass game they may have. Plus their QB will not have near the time to pass as they did in that game. This is based on one game seen.

With that being said I pick Alvarado +17. Specially at a neutral stadium. I really wonder how they are undefeated. Football is a game of matchups though. U may beat someone one day then they beat a team you lost to. Funny how that works.

Hornet
11-04-2012, 07:44 PM
Just keep believing Gatesville is slow, they had no problem keeping up with 2 of the quickest, athletic, and pure speed teams in Waco Connally and Waco LaVega. I do not know the circumstances to which led to the Indians loss to Waco Connally.

hollywood
11-04-2012, 07:57 PM
Gatesville has speed. QB is actually swift of foot. RB #21 is quick. WR #5 is a player. What the Hornets are going to struggle with is the speed Alvarado will bring on defense. Their D-line is strong and quick. I'm not saying the Hornets don't have a chance. That would be silly. But they will find themselves having to play harder than they have all season. Alvarado is very well coached and disciplined. Defensivelly one of the best tackling teams Sville has played. They have gotten better since the WC game. You can count on that. Also understand that Alavardo isn't just a run left, run right, or up the middle team. They run out of a power I and play action very well. QB is really good. Gatesville is going to have to throw the ball very well to the sides and over the top slants. By doing that also expect to see some big hits. They bring it on defense.

I watched last weeks district champonship game.. You guys are in for a tough battle. Good luck.

COBRAFOOTBALL
11-04-2012, 08:09 PM
Just keep believing Gatesville is slow, they had no problem keeping up with 2 of the quickest, athletic, and pure speed teams in Waco Connally and Waco LaVega. I do not know the circumstances to which led to the Indians loss to Waco Connally.
Any of those teams in that district would finish 4th and under in this district.. Just saying.

Tin Cup
11-04-2012, 08:15 PM
Any of those teams in that district would finish 4th and under in this district.. Just saying.

Is this based on your team's loss to a team that Gatesville beat? Just curious how you came to this conclusion that these teams can't hang?!?

COBRAFOOTBALL
11-04-2012, 08:31 PM
Is this based on your team's loss to a team that Gatesville beat? Just curious how you came to this conclusion that these teams can't hang?!?

Every team has a bad day.. Ours was against WC. If we were to play again its us by 21. Also, they won because out kick with time running out hit the upright. That whole district is average. Very alike. WC beat us by 1 pt.. We Beat CS handily. They beat WC handily. We just had a bad night. Lots of mistakes. Wouldnt happen again. District 7 is by FAR the best district in Reg. 1. No doubt about it. Anyone that denies that doesnt understand this game.

hollywood
11-04-2012, 08:32 PM
If Gatesville and Brownwood are the best 2 teams in Dist 8, which I believe they are, then COBRAFOOTBALL has a point. He hasn't been able to see either of those teams play live. I have and from what I saw, they would compete but would not be district this season. Sville, Glen Rose, and Alvarado are very good. Tin Cup, that's an unbiased opinion too. I love my Lions but they would struggle big time in Dist 7 this season.

hollywood
11-04-2012, 08:36 PM
Every team has a bad day.. Ours was against WC. If we were to play again its us by 21. Also, they won because out kick with time running out hit the upright. That whole district is average. Very alike. WC beat us by 1 pt.. We Beat CS handily. They beat WC handily. We just had a bad night. Lots of mistakes. Wouldnt happen again. District 7 is by FAR the best district in Reg. 1. No doubt about it. Anyone that denies that doesnt understand this game.

Well stated Cobra!

Tin Cup
11-04-2012, 08:42 PM
I'm simply saying its easy to say things that are impossible to prove. Kinda like that diamond planet's worth. I can't disprove it so it is fact I guess lol

hollywood
11-04-2012, 08:42 PM
With all said, this is a message board where we can get voice our opinions. After 10:30 Friday Nov 16th and Dist 7 has dominated Dist 8, it'll all be clear which district is stronger. It's just that way this season. Dist 8, prove Dist 7 wrong. It's up to Dist 7.. Those teams will be the underdogs going in to round 1. See what they got.

hollywood
11-04-2012, 08:44 PM
I'm simply saying its easy to say things that are impossible to prove. Kinda like that diamond planet's worth. I can't disprove it so it is fact I guess lol

I hear ya brotha. I had to see it for myself before I believed it. Lol

FB-fanatic
11-04-2012, 08:48 PM
Ok saw the film. Connally didn't even show up to the game IMO. Plus playing field was really wet and sloppy. Slowed the sweeping team (Connally) to a crawl. WC qb couldn't hit the broad side of a barn passing. Turnovers were killer too.

GV looked pretty solid but slow. No running game at all so to speak. Punted many times. You punt to Alvarado they will make you pay.
If we could have made GR punt 2 times we could have won that ballgame..

I think our fast LB's will slow down any pass game they may have. Plus their QB will not have near the time to pass as they did in that game. This is based on one game seen.

With that being said I pick Alvarado +17. Specially at a neutral stadium. I really wonder how they are undefeated. Football is a game of matchups though. U may beat someone one day then they beat a team you lost to. Funny how that works.

You must be sniffing some of those steel mill fumes out there in Alvarado. There's a 3 or 4 point differentiel on these teams. They are undefeated because they are a disciplined, solid team with a dual-threat qb.

It's Alavarado who have stumbled out of the blocks, not GV. Enjoy some more of those fumes.

hollywood
11-04-2012, 08:56 PM
You must be sniffing some of those steel mill fumes out there in Alvarado. There's a 3 or 4 point differentiel on these teams. They are undefeated because they are a disciplined, solid team with a dual-threat qb.

It's Alavarado who have stumbled out of the blocks, not GV. Enjoy some more of those fumes.

Sorry dude, Gatesville didn't play Sville and Glen Rose either. ;).

IndianQbdad
11-04-2012, 09:12 PM

You are correct about the stumbling out of the blocks. I'll give you that. If both teams play a perfect game , and face each other 10 times with those perfect games, Alvarado wins all 10 games by no less than 14 points a game

FB-fanatic
11-04-2012, 09:12 PM
Sorry dude, Gatesville didn't play Sville and Glen Rose either. ;).

Then, "dude", why do 3 different services, who make lots of money to know these things, have it a u-pickem or edge to Gville? 4A dropdowns don't automatically=bow down to me (aka Bwood). All these services take into the fact that ALV played Sville and GR, and still said "bupkis".

I work with a kid at work who is 18 and calls people "dude"... Irritating.

GV hasn't had to make any excuses this year because they have been virtually error free - hence, undefeated.

Hornet
11-04-2012, 09:39 PM
In the immortal words of "Uncle Si," "It's on like Donkey Kong, jack!"

hollywood
11-04-2012, 09:41 PM
Then, "dude", why do 3 different services, who make lots of money to know these things, have it a u-pickem or edge to Gville? 4A dropdowns don't automatically=bow down to me (aka Bwood). All these services take into the fact that ALV played Sville and GR, and still said "bupkis".

I work with a kid at work who is 18 and calls people "dude"... Irritating.

GV hasn't had to make any excuses this year because they have been virtually error free - hence, undefeated.

Venus was undefeated (7-0) before they played Sville. Know what the final score was? lol Just because a team is undefeated doesn't mean jack if they have played a lesser schedule.

hollywood
11-04-2012, 09:44 PM
In the immortal words of "Uncle Si," "It's on like Donkey Kong, jack!"

Lol, I love me some Si. "I'm down like a rodeo clown!"

ccmom
11-04-2012, 10:06 PM
Venus was undefeated (7-0) before they played Sville. Know what the final score was? lol Just because a team is undefeated doesn't mean jack if they have played a lesser schedule.

JW, you can do better than that. Your argument that GVille is undefeated because they played a lesser schedule might hold water IF Alvarado had only lost to Sville and GR. They share a common opponent and Gville beat a team that Alv lost to. You are just being silly.

Gville deserves some credit for beating everybody they have faced so far. Alvarado has lots of recent big game experience. I think this might be a closer game than you are predicting.

Cheers! ;)

FB-fanatic
11-04-2012, 10:31 PM

Do you understand at all how these services calculate power ratings. Record is only small portion. They look at all opponents and compare those to hundreds of other common games. I guess you don't... but anyway, what sets me off is to be arragant and wave your finger and dismiss another team just because you are in a tough district. Good ole curtesy and respect goes a long way. "I know Gville is a good team, but I think we can take them by +17" I can take.

Just by virtue of "playing" Sville and GR doesn't automatically demand respect.

And I definitely understand going 6-0 or 7-0 doesn't always mean anything. Robinson came in to our tough district 6-0, then went 0-3 in district play.

hollywood
11-04-2012, 11:02 PM
JW, you can do better than that. Your argument that GVille is undefeated because they played a lesser schedule might hold water IF Alvarado had only lost to Sville and GR. They share a common opponent and Gville beat a team that Alv lost to. You are just being silly.

Gville deserves some credit for beating everybody they have faced so far. Alvarado has lots of recent big game experience. I think this might be a closer game than you are predicting.

Cheers! ;)

Now ccmom, you know better than to just compare scores. Gatesville is a good team. I gave them all the credit in the world. They deserve what they've earned. Undefeated with a solid schedule. District Champs. Gatesville will win this Friday and we'll see how they do against a very strong Alvarado team the next week.

Almost forgot, cheers! ;)

hollywood
11-04-2012, 11:10 PM
Do you understand at all how these services calculate power ratings. Record is only small portion. They look at all opponents and compare those to hundreds of other common games. I guess you don't... but anyway, what sets me off is to be arragant and wave your finger and dismiss another team just because you are in a tough district. Good ole curtesy and respect goes a long way. "I know Gville is a good team, but I think we can take them by +17" I can take.

Just by virtue of "playing" Sville and GR doesn't automatically demand respect.

And I definitely understand going 6-0 or 7-0 doesn't always mean anything. Robinson came in to our tough district 6-0, then went 0-3 in district play.

Yes FB-fanatic, I understand how teams are power rated. Does this make the "services" 100% accurate? You know better than that. Gatesville is a very good team. Not taking anything away from them. All I'm saying is Alvarado is for real! Don't let their 3 loss record fool you. Just because a team will be undefeated playing a 3 loss team doesn't make them the favorite. I've had the luxury to have watched both play. IMO, Alvarado appears to be a 14 point favorite due to strength of schedule, their size, execution of their offense, and a nasty defense who I think is the hardest hitting team I've seen in a while. Yes, I saw Gatesville vs Brownwood last week.

83Indian
11-05-2012, 12:04 AM
Looking at Gatesville schedule and how well they have held teams in check with the exception of La Vega, it certainly appears Gatesville has a pretty good defense, and a very good offense. Ill need to see more evidence before I give Alvarado an edge in this one. Depending on how well GV executes the spread offense will be the key. Alvarado has yet to prove they can hold down a good spread offense other than FW Southwest, but frankly SW was no where close to Ville or Glen Rose. Alvarado posters don't kid yourselves. This will be a very tough match up. Seems like our luck this year. Alvarado faces a team that relys on the run, that team is in trouble. If we have not figured this out after Ville and Glen Rose, then we will lose. Gatesville reminds me of Alvarado 2010. Do nothing but win and everyone picked you to lose in the playoffs. Coach Dixon will have the Indians prepared and hopefully we start our run for a re-match with Glen Rose. Can't wait for the matchup.

toddg
11-05-2012, 06:00 AM
I would give my 2 cents, but there are games still to be played...Gatesville, congrats on your District championship and your impressive season so far!!

Good luck against LH..they won't lay down for you, they are grasping for a PO spot, so I'm sure they will be ready to play and will probably give you all you want.

hollywood
11-05-2012, 10:53 AM
Looking at Gatesville schedule and how well they have held teams in check with the exception of La Vega, it certainly appears Gatesville has a pretty good defense, and a very good offense. Ill need to see more evidence before I give Alvarado an edge in this one. Depending on how well GV executes the spread offense will be the key. Alvarado has yet to prove they can hold down a good spread offense other than FW Southwest, but frankly SW was no where close to Ville or Glen Rose. Alvarado posters don't kid yourselves. This will be a very tough match up. Seems like our luck this year. Alvarado faces a team that relys on the run, that team is in trouble. If we have not figured this out after Ville and Glen Rose, then we will lose. Gatesville reminds me of Alvarado 2010. Do nothing but win and everyone picked you to lose in the playoffs. Coach Dixon will have the Indians prepared and hopefully we start our run for a re-match with Glen Rose. Can't wait for the matchup.

Gatesville's defense is good. If it wasn't for a dropped punt return for Brownwood when the score was 7-6, Brownwood would have been able to keep it closer. Also, Brownwood would get 4-5 yards everytime they ran the ball on 1st down. But, they went to the pass on 1st down after they got behind 21-14. Gatesville was the better team and deserves all the credit so far this season, but I think they haven't faced a real good O-line and D-line yet like Alvarado. I was real impressed with their play. Much bigger than I expected and execution was precise. Just a few mistakes against Stephenville and it cost them.

Eagle 1
11-05-2012, 02:03 PM
JW, you can do better than that. Your argument that GVille is undefeated because they played a lesser schedule might hold water IF Alvarado had only lost to Sville and GR. They share a common opponent and Gville beat a team that Alv lost to.

This.

hollywood
11-05-2012, 02:34 PM
Gatesville 49
La Vega 48

Gatesville 24
W Connally 8

La Vega 48
W Connally 45

W Connally 14
Alvarado 13

China Spring 35
W Connally 21

Alvarado 28
China Spring 14

La Vega 28
China Spring 14

Sville 43
La Vega 22

Sville 32
Alvarado 20

Indian 1985
11-05-2012, 02:42 PM
Congrats to Gatesville on your District Championship.
I look forward to our two teams meeting on the field.

I just hope that I can be there to see the game. My schedule sucks. :thmbdwn:

Eagle 1
11-05-2012, 05:20 PM
Gatesville 49
La Vega 48

Gatesville 24
W Connally 8

La Vega 48
W Connally 45

W Connally 14
Alvarado 13

China Spring 35
W Connally 21

Alvarado 28
China Spring 14

La Vega 28
China Spring 14

Sville 43
La Vega 22

Sville 32
Alvarado 20

With the exception of Stephenville and Alvarado, Gatesville has been playing these teams on this list year and year out, and most of the time (not all) they lost. It would seem to me that the teams mentioned know a little about the Hornets and may have played them close because of that. Kind of like Brownwood/Abilene Wylie. Both teams are very familiar with each other. So in that perspective those other teams mentioned, really don't matter. The only team both Gatesville and Alvarado played was Connally.
The last undefeated Gatesville team I seen was in 2000. I haven't seen this years team play, but I know when they beat Brownwood like they did last week, they must have a pretty good team.
Good luck to both Alvarado and Gatesville in the playoffs.

toddg
11-05-2012, 05:29 PM
With the exception of Stephenville and Alvarado, Gatesville has been playing these teams on this list year and year out, and most of the time (not all) they lost. It would seem to me that the teams mentioned know a little about the Hornets and may have played them close because of that. Kind of like Brownwood/Abilene Wylie. Both teams are very familiar with each other. So in that perspective those other teams mentioned, really don't matter. The only team both Gatesville and Alvarado played was Connally.
The last undefeated Gatesville team I seen was in 2000. I haven't seen this years team play, but I know when they beat Brownwood like they did last week, they must have a pretty good team.
Good luck to both Alvarado and Gatesville in the playoffs.

Alvarado has played Connally the last five years straight in non-district..this year is the first time they beat us in that stretch...conversly, they beat us 4 years in a row between 2001-2005

Eagle 1
11-05-2012, 05:40 PM
Alvarado has played Connally the last five years straight in non-district..this year is the first time they beat us in that stretch...conversly, they beat us 4 years in a row between 2001-2005

Gatesville has been playing Connally for several years, and was in the same district at times.

Bosqueville
11-05-2012, 06:02 PM
I really think Gatesville beats Alvarado. I just don't think the Indians have the offense they have had the last 2 years to get it done.

hollywood
11-05-2012, 06:27 PM
I really think Gatesville beats Alvarado. I just don't think the Indians have the offense they have had the last 2 years to get it done.

If Gatesville's #9 is able to do what he does, then yes. And that means Alvarado's defense wouldn't be able to put pressure on him. But after watching both play this season, Alvarado's defense is definitely good enough to slow him down. Whether that will happen, is to be determined. Alvarado's offense is real good as well. With the exception of the Waco Connally game where Alvarado had turnoveritus, their only other losses came against 2 exceptional teams who's defenses are pretty dang salty as well.

Should be a great game!

Rabid Cougar
11-05-2012, 07:34 PM
The last undefeated Gatesville team I seen was in 2000. .

That is because they have played Lorena, China Spring, Robinson, Connally and LaVega every year in District.

COBRAFOOTBALL
11-05-2012, 07:58 PM

Cheers! ;)
I will say GV did beat Connally We lost to Connally. But we beat China Spriing and China Spring whipped Connally.. Go figure.

COBRAFOOTBALL
11-05-2012, 08:02 PM
That is because they have played Lorena, China Spring, Robinson, Connally and LaVega every year in District.

All Average.. No one over 6-3. thats the best team they faced in La Vega we faced 2 @ 8-1 and one @ 7-2..

Indian 1985
11-06-2012, 11:23 AM
I will say GV did beat Connally We lost to Connally. But we beat China Spriing and China Spring whipped Connally.. Go figure.

Sometimes the ball bounces your way, sometimes it doesn't. Luck can often be just as important as skill.