PDA

View Full Version : giddings vs. smithville

fanofthegame
10-31-2012, 05:39 PM
who wins this one or who just wants this one. been a long time since this game has a 1-2 vs. 0-3. does giddings have to win out to make the playoffs?

Bassact
10-31-2012, 05:48 PM
who wins this one or who just wants this one. been a long time since this game has a 1-2 vs. 0-3. does giddings have to win out to make the playoffs?

Giddings get back oon track and rolls over SV..

hollywood
10-31-2012, 06:25 PM
Where had jrhernandez been?

fanofthegame
11-01-2012, 07:16 AM
any giddings peps out there??? does giddings have to win out in order to make it to the playoffs? guess it might come down to last game, dont see yoakum winning this w/end and giddings should beat smithville. just what im thinking.

buff4ever
11-01-2012, 08:40 AM
any giddings peps out there??? does giddings have to win out in order to make it to the playoffs? guess it might come down to last game, dont see yoakum winning this w/end and giddings should beat smithville. just what im thinking.

We should win this game, need to get the offense back on track after last two games. They will be fine. If Yoakum loses to LG we do not have to win this game, but to get back on track we need to win this game. Last week against Yoakum is most likely the tell all game. No reason to panic in Giddings unless we lose this game. If we win this week and next, we go into the playoffs with an 8 - 2 record. We will have beaten some good teams and lost to 2 good teams that are in our tough district. But 8 - 2 in the playoffs is nothing to complain about. We just have to take care of business and do it.

1st and goal
11-01-2012, 01:31 PM
The fact that smithville went into LG and gave 'em all they wanted tells me they aren't ready to quit just yet.

We need our O and D to show up and play with fewer mistakes. Need to get back into positive turnover territory. Need to complete those deep passes.

Smithville has come up just a bit short in a handful of games and can not be taken lightly.

Cam
11-01-2012, 01:47 PM
Giddings wins, Giddings wins, I can't believe it, Giddings wins!....:D....that was just for you buff!

buff4ever
11-01-2012, 01:59 PM
Giddings wins, Giddings wins, I can't believe it, Giddings wins!....:D....that was just for you buff!

Good stuff. Did yall paint that bulldog yet?

Cam
11-01-2012, 02:10 PM
Good stuff. Did yall paint that bulldog yet?

What bulldog?...we got a bulldog?...nobody ever showed me where it was!....Greendawg, where's the bulldog?.....I'm always the last one to know.....:bigcry:

hookandladder
11-01-2012, 02:16 PM
If Giddings jumps on them early then it is lights out for Smithville , if they let Smithville hang around it is going to be a nailbitter. Still have Giddings winning this one.

YTBulldogs
11-01-2012, 02:34 PM
This one will depend if SV has thrown in the towel or not. They have the talent to make a great game, or even beat Giddings. Just depends if they come to play or not IMO.

zebrablue2
11-01-2012, 11:38 PM
Smithville in a upset, 35-30.. Just got a feeling...

Pudlugger
11-02-2012, 07:13 AM
Smithville is a bit of a mystery as to how good they will be on any given Friday night. When they played us it was their big game as LG is SV's traditional rival while for LG it is Giddings. Kids on the SV team talk about beating LG all year and it is on their list of team goals every year. They always give LG their best even when they were down early in this decade. The same can be said about LG and Giddings. Giddings should win this game but they will have to match SV's intensity and as hook says get on top early and aggressively play to win. Do not let Smithville stay close like we did or you will find yourself hanging on by a thread. Giddings by 14-21 or SV by 2-3 take your pick.

29-3aFAN
11-02-2012, 08:39 PM
Smithville up 6-3 @ the half

29-3aFAN
11-02-2012, 09:27 PM
13-3 Smithville, 4th qrter underway

29-3aFAN
11-02-2012, 10:00 PM
Is this the final score? 13-3?

44INAROW
11-02-2012, 10:03 PM
This is one crazy district....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

29-3aFAN
11-02-2012, 10:14 PM
Yes it is. Wish there were 4 playoff spots......
This is one crazy district....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

1st and goal
11-02-2012, 10:40 PM
I think the score ended up 16-3 on a late SV FG. We had injuries that sidelined key players.

Congrats Smithville. Our D showed up but so did Smittyville's. For the last 3 weeks, the Buffs have just barely missed so many offensive opportunities.

We gave up at least 2 interceptions. Did not get any turnovers our way.

1st and goal
11-02-2012, 11:15 PM
It was 3 interceptions, but who's counting....:(

Manso/V8
11-02-2012, 11:22 PM
So what does the D26 playoff picture look like now?

29-3aFAN
11-02-2012, 11:25 PM
So what does the D26 playoff picture look like now?

Like this....:vrycnfsd::vrycnfsd:

Pudlugger
11-02-2012, 11:30 PM
Congratulations to Smithville for getting a big win against a fine giddings team. There is so much parity in D26 it is scary.

D26 standings:
LG 4-0
Yoakum 2-2
Cuero 2-2
GZ 2-2
Giddings 1-3
Smithville 1-3

next week:
LG @ Cuero
Giddings @ Yoakum
Gonzales @ Smithville

Bassact
11-02-2012, 11:38 PM
Dang Giddings! What the heck happened? i thought LH was falling apart. From our game with Giddings & Smithville I wouldn't have given Smithville a chance.. Giddingsfall that far or has SV improved that much?

hookandladder
11-02-2012, 11:45 PM
Like I said early in the year , Giddings big wins over LH and Wimberley were not that big. Good chance Giddings and LH staying home for the playoffs, Good win for Smithville one of the best defenses in District and Giddings find out tonight.

fanofthegame
11-02-2012, 11:48 PM
4 teams from one district going to the playoffs is crazy. that comes next year and everyone is a winner. everyone gets a trophy. does not make sense and only the uil is making money on this deal. and sorry 1st and goal, key players hurt, dont think so. your running back has not gotten many yards rushing the last weeks or even this year. heck, the "O" only got 80ish total yards against lagrange last week. cannot win games like that.

Bassact
11-03-2012, 12:15 AM
SV D was not remotely good in week 2 when they came to LH.

hookandladder
11-03-2012, 12:20 AM

They were good enough tonight, bet you wish you had some of them on your LH team. I still cannot beleive you guys lost to Burnet , Amazing.

zebrablue2
11-03-2012, 12:20 AM
Smithville in a upset, 35-30.. Just got a feeling...

I guessed a little high in the score, but the Tigers did get the W...

Bassact
11-03-2012, 12:27 AM
They were good enough tonight, bet you wish you had some of them on your LH team. I still cannot beleive you guys lost to Burnet , Amazing.

Me either. Maybe some more guys will get healthy and we pull 1 more out next week. And from what I saw saw out of the SV players we do not want them.. Regardless of talent.

Manso/V8
11-03-2012, 12:37 AM

That might have been the slot t effect. If a team is not prepared, things don't go that well.

Manso/V8
11-03-2012, 12:51 AM
Like I said early in the year , Giddings big wins over LH and Wimberley were not that big. Good chance Giddings and LH staying home for the playoffs, Good win for Smithville one of the best defenses in District and Giddings find out tonight.

Giddings beat us early in the season after the touted wins over LH and Wimberley. We played in heavy mud, so it changes the dynamic, but honestly I was expecting a much tougher team than we saw. Bellville pretty much controlled the first half and lead 14-7 at the break. Bellville came out flat for the second half and pretty much handed them the win 21-7.......something that plagued us up until three weeks ago. We have definitely gotten better on both sides of the ball since then, close to the kind of team we were last year.

I noticed that Giddings had several kids going both ways, so if any of those players are injured or dinged up, it probably has had a big impact on their team since it would weaken both the offense and the defense,.....and obviously they didn't have anyone close enough in talent to take one of those starting spots from a kid going both ways. I think it is a better route to develop that backup in to a better player during pre-district.

Pudlugger
11-03-2012, 07:09 AM
Giddings better watch out as that Yoakum team is going to be pumped up and full throttle next week and they are very good. Giddings seems to have lost their mojo and going into Yoakum against a determined Bulldog team will be very tough.

1st and goal
11-03-2012, 07:47 AM
4 teams from one district going to the playoffs is crazy. that comes next year and everyone is a winner. everyone gets a trophy. does not make sense and only the uil is making money on this deal. and sorry 1st and goal, key players hurt, dont think so. your running back has not gotten many yards rushing the last weeks or even this year. heck, the "O" only got 80ish total yards against lagrange last week. cannot win games like that.

Uhh, our running back can't get many yards when he's injured. He has not been even near his capability, nursing shoulder and ankle injuries. How would you expect him to perform? And, he is a BIG part of our Defense. Playing injured sucks.

1st and goal
11-03-2012, 07:53 AM

Hook, (besides you guys creaming our corn), your combined win point difference in the other 3 games is......3 points. W's yes, and in a tough district, but not enough to paint your hair purple and yellow yet. Cuero ain't laying down yet. But congrats on your District championship.

Pudlugger
11-03-2012, 07:58 AM
Hook, (besides you guys creaming our corn), your combined win point difference in the other 3 games is......3 points. W's yes, and in a tough district, but not enough to paint your hair purple and yellow yet. Cuero ain't laying down yet. But congrats on your District championship.

Winner winner Chicken Dinner! The W's are on the record.

D26 has 6 teams with parity. As everyone predicted it would be a tough district to get through and it has proven to be true. Giddings will have a big job handling a fired up Yoakum team next week as will the Leps with Cuero. Nothing has been easy for the Leps since district began. Hopefully they will continue to find a way to win. Good luck next week.

HEMOTOXIC
11-03-2012, 08:30 AM
Wow, what has happened to Giddings? This reminds me of Caldwell of a few seasons ago. Both started the season or eventually became a top 10 state ranked team, lose some district games, and eventually don't make the playoffs.

Bassact
11-03-2012, 08:49 AM
Wow, what has happened to Giddings? This reminds me of Caldwell of a few seasons ago. Both started the season or eventually became a top 10 state ranked team, lose some district games, and eventually don't make the playoffs.

Fanofthegame probably nailed it - Giddings did have a lot of players going both ways. A few injuries can decimate a team that doesn't have a lot of depth.

Buff42
11-03-2012, 11:52 AM

Hemo, this ain't your momma's Giddings team. IMO, conditioning and intensity have been badly lacking all year. Then you put key players going both ways??? SMH, this ain't 2A football......

87 TIGER
11-03-2012, 02:54 PM
Injuries suck we all agree with that. But really what's up with Giddings? There's 11 on o and 11 on d , you take out your rb put in the back up and keep rolling. The starter might be a difference maker but you have other options to score. 3 losses in a row? And against Lagrange looks like they just gave up, didn't think I would ever see that out of a Giddings team.

Pudlugger
11-03-2012, 02:58 PM
They didn't give up against LG they just got an old fashioned whuppin' that they hadn't experienced in more than a decade. Shell shock is more like it.

Buff42
11-04-2012, 11:39 AM
They didn't give up against LG they just got an old fashioned whuppin' that they hadn't experienced in more than a decade. Shell shock is more like it.

I really don't want to talk about our players, because they're an awesome group of kids. Probably the most talented Giddings team in 4 or 5 years.

In years past, our kids never quit, never laid down- there was an amazing come from behind snot clobber game in LG three years ago. And then there was the "Dock" game 2 years before that where #11 literally left EVERYTHING on the field while carrying a beat up Buff team to victory.

The only difference? Coaching staff. You figure out the rest........

hookandladder
11-04-2012, 04:33 PM
I really don't want to talk about our players, because they're an awesome group of kids. Probably the most talented Giddings team in 4 or 5 years.

In years past, our kids never quit, never laid down- there was an amazing come from behind snot clobber game in LG three years ago. And then there was the "Dock" game 2 years before that where #11 literally left EVERYTHING on the field while carrying a beat up Buff team to victory.

The only difference? Coaching staff. You figure out the rest........

I understand fully what good coaching can do you a team however I am a firm beleiver that you can look back at what your Senior group did at lower grades and if they were not successful , you win struggle if you do not have a very talented class below them . Giddings Senior class was very bad in the lower grades and it looks like the truth is coming out on this years team. Just my take, the same can be said about baseball teams, you will only be as good as your Little league All Star team when they hit high school. Happens most all places.

Pudlugger
11-04-2012, 04:43 PM
Very astute observation hook. Senior leadership is a big part of every hs football team's success. I can recall several instances where goof off seniors have torpedoed Lep's chances for the playoffs in the past decade. The three D's: Desire, Dedication and Discipline are three of four essential factors in the equation for success with the forth being talent. You can have so-so talent and excel in these three and succeed but if you lack in these three no matter how much talent you have you will never make it to the State championship.

Buff42
11-04-2012, 09:19 PM
I understand fully what good coaching can do you a team however I am a firm beleiver that you can look back at what your Senior group did at lower grades and if they were not successful , you win struggle if you do not have a very talented class below them . Giddings Senior class was very bad in the lower grades and it looks like the truth is coming out on this years team. Just my take, the same can be said about baseball teams, you will only be as good as your Little league All Star team when they hit high school. Happens most all places.

I agree 100%. I've actually had this same theory for years. So........y'all better watch out for the group of freshman we have this year, because they're freaking amazing.

On another note, one of my fav LG games was in Giddings the year y'all's Callis kid was a senior. He was awesome and almost single handedly won that game for the Leps. Huge heart.

hookandladder
11-05-2012, 08:41 AM
I agree 100%. I've actually had this same theory for years. So........y'all better watch out for the group of freshman we have this year, because they're freaking amazing.

On another note, one of my fav LG games was in Giddings the year y'all's Callis kid was a senior. He was awesome and almost single handedly won that game for the Leps. Huge heart.

Remember that game, also cannot remember the team here in La Grange but Hunter scored all 35 points and also blocked the extra point to win the game for us. Great kid, his Mom is part of this years Tailgate Group.