PDA

View Full Version : Massey Ratings

83Indian
10-30-2012, 11:02 PM
What are your thoughts on this rating system?

Stephenville is listed in Class 4A #2.

Some are questionable but gives District 7 more credit which I think they deserve.

http://www.usatodayhss.com/news/rankings/super-25-football-2012?division=CFB76376&state=TX

regaleagle
10-30-2012, 11:27 PM
Three basic categories encompass this rating system:
Strength of schedule.....ambiguous and debatable
Offensive Stats.....depends on who you played
Defensive Stats.....again, depends on the schedule you played.

Note: Since all the categories are interwoven and dependent on your percieved schedule, the entire rating is based upon the perception of how all the other teams are ranked by comparison. Naturally, there will be overrated and underrated teams using this format. Overall, it gives a quick snapshot of a team based on what really are arbitrary numbers.

83Indian
10-30-2012, 11:37 PM
Interesting tho its not far off the AP rankings

WOS87
10-31-2012, 02:37 AM
What are your thoughts on this rating system?

Stephenville is listed in Class 4A #2.

http://www.usatodayhss.com/news/rankings/super-25-football-2012?division=CFB76376&state=TX

Stephenville's loss isn't included in the algorithm to begin with as they don't have international teams included so that ranking is based on Stephenville being undefeated this season (which they aren't), and the fact that they still have them as 4A is another issue. I'm pretty sure if that Monterrey game were figured in there they wouldn't be where they are or anywhere close.

Ville-D
10-31-2012, 08:51 AM
Stephenville's loss isn't included in the algorithm to begin with as they don't have international teams included so that ranking is based on Stephenville being undefeated this season (which they aren't), and the fact that they still have them as 4A is another issue. I'm pretty sure if that Monterrey game were figured in there they wouldn't be where they are or anywhere close.

That goes both ways. A win would have gained us nothing either. No polls take intl games into account except for opinion polls like the AP.

wimbo_pro
10-31-2012, 08:55 AM

Good point, WOS87. I have a question for you....If you have such info handy...can you find out if (at this point in the season, or thereabouts) the eventual State Champs were in the top 5 or 10 of the Massey Ratings each year? How does that compare to the AP rankings? Just wondering if there is a statistical advantage with one or the other when it comes to "predicting" the eventual champ.

jason
10-31-2012, 09:20 AM
they also have (now) 5A waco midway at #3....
shows you how much usa today really knows when it comes to their polls...

Pendragon13
10-31-2012, 09:32 AM
I like it...we've already beaten #3, #11, #17 and #23. :cool:

On the other hand, polls and power rankings don't mean a whole lot at the high school level...still gotta suit up and play.

hollywood
10-31-2012, 09:47 AM
Buncha horse hockey

FB-fanatic
10-31-2012, 09:52 AM
4 teams from 17-3A in the top 25. Though CS is listed as 3-2-0?

gatordaze
10-31-2012, 10:53 AM
What value do they sort on? It looks like the power rating until you get to Carthage and Celina and they are both ranked below teams with worse power ratings.