PDA

View Full Version : Columbia volleyball team

Scoop27
10-30-2012, 11:28 AM
One has to go back to 1997 to find four or more southern Brazoria County volleyball teams making the playoffs in the same season.

This year, Angleton, Brazoswood, Columbia and Sweeny all will get to play beyond the regular season.

The Lady Bulldogs are the only district champ of the group, garnering the District 24-3A title and receiving a bye in the first round.

So that means, Angleton, Brazoswood and Columbia will start bidistrict rounds today at several locations.

Angleton’s drought from the postseason dates to 2003 and Brazoswood’s to 1998. That makes Columbia’s appearance quite interesting because there are rumblings this is the first Lady ’Neck team to venture into the playoffs since the University Interscholastic League started recognizing volleyball as a UIL sport in 1967.

“One of our school administrators found a yearbook that said the last time was in 1967,” Columbia coach Shelly Murphy said. “Volleyball has never been a dominant sport here but other sports have. But it is exciting because we finally put things together to make that happen.”

Four seniors, Alexis Rhoades, Donye Morgan, Krystal Davis and Khashari Taylor lead the group. Rhodes has been on varsity since her freshman year, with the rest coming onto the team when they were sophomores.

Columbia (12-13) takes on Houston Yates at 6:30 p.m. today at Alvin High School in the 3A bi-district round.

Morgan is the leading setter for Columbia, with Rhoades, Davis and Taylor all assisting on kills, digs and aces. Another player picking up her play this season is junior Bailey Salas, who had 17 kills in the seeding loss to Stafford on Friday.

“She’s really stepped it up this year and is looking very comfortable on the court,” Murphy said. “You know, redistricting really helped us this year. We’ve been in tough districts with Needville, Wharton, Sealy and Columbus before, so it definitely helped us.

“I also think our maturity really blossomed this season,” she said.

Yates (9-3) comes in from District 23-3A, with Jessica Rawlins leading the way for the Lady Lions with 101 kills, averaging 4.21 a game.

“I know they’ve been pretty good in basketball and my speculation is that they have good athletes going in,” Murphy said. “I know they must play with discipline and that is something we must do, stay disciplined and stick with our game plan.”

The winner takes on Tarkington next.

scrub c
10-30-2012, 08:27 PM
Lady Necks WIN!!!

congrats girls