PDA

View Full Version : LH Defense/Offense

LHPfactory
10-30-2012, 09:12 AM
I was thinking about the games over the last couple of weeks this year, and realized that the 2011 LH Defense was pretty dang good. I looked at the scores from last year and for the entire season and the 2 playoff games our defense allowed an average of 15.8 points per game. That included only allowing Devine and Joseph Saddler 21 points. Guess who scored the most on this D last year..... yep Burnet with 33 points......

Without a doubt Defense wins championships.

We have some good players on defense this year, its just not coming together though, and Burnet was able to exploit it over and over. It didnt help that the starting MLB was out that game either.

Offense needs to cut the penalties, this kills the tough drives, in tuff games when we get 4 yards a carry, a 5 or 10 yard penalty is all it takes to force a punt. Case in point, Cuero 2007, that game was won on discipline, the offense (with the exception of 1 strip for 6 by Cuero) played a near perfect game.

Special teams are a whole other issue... dont even want to go there... With the exception of Boatrights returns, we are terrible on special teams.

2 games left..... dont look past Lampasas, however, Gatesville will be the true test of what this team is..... no matter if its the last game or things fall in line to go to the playoffs.

Red&White_9x5
10-30-2012, 10:27 AM
I have seen Gatesville, and Brownwood. I can tell you that if the Hill struggled with Brownwood and Burnet, they will have their hands full with Gatesville. If it comes down to having to beat Gatesville to qualify for the post season, it ain't looking good for the Hill

panfan
10-30-2012, 10:41 AM
clean out your pm box.

This team's actions over the next two games will define their character (and by this team - I mean players and coaches). Its never a one way street where its solely a player issue or a coaching issue. Clearly they have talent, its how they choose to end their season that tells us something about this year's group. Is it a two game and out group, or do they dig down deep and figue out what they need to do to get past Lampasas and Gatesville to get into the playoffs.

greendawg84
10-30-2012, 11:00 AM
panfan , your boy played a heck of a game Friday.

2 things that I saw that need to be fixed.

1 . Secondary needs to learn how to cover the pass. Duh , I know but man they seemed to bite on any move that was made. Double move on #17 , got his feet all tangled up and as fast as he is you cant make that kinda space up.

2. THROW THE BALL .You guys threw the ball for big yards WHEN you completed them . That to me is the down side of the Slot T , great if you are winning but not worth a damn if you are loosing. You guys had several dropped passes that would have been first downs. I aint no coach but I sure as hell would have #17 where he could catch , and would be throwing the ball to him a bunch. That Cat is some kind of fast but you gotta get him past the line of scrimmage to use it. I think the boys know how to run the offense by now ( they been running it since they were in Pee Wee ) , work on some pass plays and teach them how to catch.

Didnt get time to post on the other thread but just wanted to say that is the way High School Football in Texas is supposed to be. I bout had a heart attack waiting on the damn clock to run out.

panfan
10-30-2012, 11:32 AM

1 . Secondary needs to learn how to cover the pass. Duh , I know but man they seemed to bite on any move that was made. Double move on #17 , got his feet all tangled up and as fast as he is you cant make that kinda space up.

2. THROW THE BALL .You guys threw the ball for big yards WHEN you completed them . That to me is the down side of the Slot T , great if you are winning but not worth a damn if you are loosing. You guys had several dropped passes that would have been first downs. I aint no coach but I sure as hell would have #17 where he could catch , and would be throwing the ball to him a bunch. That Cat is some kind of fast but you gotta get him past the line of scrimmage to use it. I think the boys know how to run the offense by now ( they been running it since they were in Pee Wee ) , work on some pass plays and teach them how to catch.

Didnt get time to post on the other thread but just wanted to say that is the way High School Football in Texas is supposed to be. I bout had a heart attack waiting on the damn clock to run out.

Thanks - I'll let him know. I look back at each of the three losses, none more than by 2 TDs. Against Giddings, a field goal ties it and it goes to overtime, against Bwood, 2 TDs, against Burnet, a TD and 2 PAT.

These are not losses that suggest this team is out by any means. Yes - we have to learn to defend against the pass, no doubt. I think passing integerated into the the LH offense is effective, but it can't be done when we are 3rd or 4th and long. Its too predictable, IMO. Pass on some of the early downs.

Beef up the special teams - I think the new Punt look is effective and we got good mileage out of it. KO return. Well, in two games now, KO return has cost us. Against Giddings, a muffed on side kick set up the last two minutes of scoring by Giddings. Against Burnet, 2 short pooch kicks cost us. First one, second line of return team didnt get to the ball (yep that was my boy who blew it on the first one - looked like from the film it bounced and he was waiting on it to go get it and Burnet player just beat him too it. Second one, nearly bounced off the front line defender and again Burnet kid got there and scooped it up.) Is it a different ball game if we don't give up those short fields to Burnet? Maybe, maybe not.

Everybody has counted us out against Gatesville. I won't until the game is played.

Bassact
10-30-2012, 01:56 PM

If #17 was that far behind Burnet should have taken advantage of it because it doesn't happen very often. The corners have taken their lumps but everything Burnet did was across the middle. Only pass down field towards 17 he had the receiver covered. #7 had a very good game. Now the WR screens where the corners were left way outside to cover 2 receivers, that was a problem. The rest of the pass D was simply players being out of position and not picking up the receivers as they came into their zones. Been a problem all year and to some extend the last few years. But i really don't see it changing now if they haven't figured it out in 8 games. A little pass rush would help the secondary a lot.. Which is really the biggest difference between this 2012 team and the teams form the last couple of years.

LH pass more? Not gonna happen. They don't even have a dropback pass in the play book. which is unfortunate - Wells can wing it..

LHPfactory
10-30-2012, 02:53 PM
If #17 was that far behind Burnet should have taken advantage of it because it doesn't happen very often. The corners have taken their lumps but everything Burnet did was across the middle. Only pass down field towards 17 he had the receiver covered. #7 had a very good game. Now the WR screens where the corners were left way outside to cover 2 receivers, that was a problem. The rest of the pass D was simply players being out of position and not picking up the receivers as they came into their zones. Been a problem all year and to some extend the last few years. But i really don't see it changing now if they haven't figured it out in 8 games. A little pass rush would help the secondary a lot.. Which is really the biggest difference between this 2012 team and the teams form the last couple of years.

LH pass more? Not gonna happen. They don't even have a dropback pass in the play book. which is unfortunate - Wells can wing it..

Wells does have an arm and Boatright can run and catch. This will would be a nice weapon, but we couldnt count on it more than 1 or 2 times per game.

Bassact
10-30-2012, 03:08 PM
LH has plenty of weapons on offense. 21 has done a nice job as receiver out of the backfield. TE has done OK too but does tend to drop a few. Having 17 go both ways and try to make him the playmaker won't fix anything. LH's strength is dicipline and team play. The way the coaching staff has used 17 as a change of pace has worked well, no reason to mess with it. Something within the team unit just hasn't jelled. They've came close but injuries and moving players into new positions has set them back a little. Know worries.. LH will be ready come Friday night and will be looking for the chance to play spoiler to GV's undefeated season regular season.

What a difference a year makes - last year LH and Lamp were battling for the DC.. This year they are both looking at missing the playoffs.

LHPfactory
10-30-2012, 03:24 PM
LH has plenty of weapons on offense. 21 has done a nice job as receiver out of the backfield. TE has done OK too but does tend to drop a few. Having 17 go both ways and try to make him the playmaker won't fix anything. LH's strength is dicipline and team play. The way the coaching staff has used 17 as a change of pace has worked well, no reason to mess with it. Something within the team unit just hasn't jelled. They've came close but injuries and moving players into new positions has set them back a little. Know worries.. LH will be ready come Friday night and will be looking for the chance to play spoiler to GV's undefeated season regular season.

What a difference a year makes - last year LH and Lamp were battling for the DC.. This year they are both looking at missing the playoffs.

I agree that it wont fix the woes, and like I said this wouldnt be something you could use much.