PDA

View Full Version : Region IV Week 9 GotW: Sealy(6-2) Vs. El Campo(8-0)

Spanish Camp
10-27-2012, 11:26 AM
I think quite a few people have been waiting on this one.

If El Campo comes out sharp, I say El Campo in a close one. RSJ is definitly worth a couple of big plays, but I think the 'Birds have contained plenty of big time players in years past.

Can't wait for Friday.

sTxforlife
10-27-2012, 11:40 AM
Should be a good game, I say it all depends on the play of RSJ and Davis, if they have big games the Tigers could pull this one out!

Bull's-eye
10-27-2012, 12:37 PM
I like this match up for the Tigers, I believe their type of offense is the way you counter the bigger & more physical El Campo defense. On the other side of the ball, Sealy usually plays the run very tough. I was impressed by El Campo's size, but thought their offense was very vanilla. Sealy has the chance to pull off the upset, but they must have a healthy RSJ.

Manso/V8
10-27-2012, 01:27 PM
The El Campo defense is fundamentally sound, physical, and they tackle very well. I think they can contain Sealy, with or without RSJ and/or Davis at 100%.
The Sealy defense has given up points to everybody they played, even the weaker teams.
However, the last few years, Sealy seems to play up or down to the level of the opponent (unless that opponent is Navasota), so they could play their best game of the year and surprise us all.

El Campo is solid across the board.
If they can avoid mistakes like the excessive penalties against Bellville, and the muffed punt and fumbles against Wharton, the Ricebirds take the W.

Spanish Camp
10-27-2012, 02:02 PM
I like this match up for the Tigers, I believe their type of offense is the way you counter the bigger & more physical El Campo defense. On the other side of the ball, Sealy usually plays the run very tough. I was impressed by El Campo's size, but thought their offense was very vanilla. Sealy has the chance to pull off the upset, but they must have a healthy RSJ.

You are right that Sealy will play tough.

Its been a strange year for El Campo. Offensively El Campo hasn't been forced to show anything. I would say we have seen maybe 50% of the offense we usually see at this point in the season. El Campo's defense has been completely dominant in District play. The offensive stats are there (rushing/total offense). Turnovers and penalties have been only downfall (if you can say hat about an 8-0 team).

SHSBulldog00
10-27-2012, 02:26 PM
On offense EC will have to recognize where RSJ lines up every play (if he plays). On defense EC will focus on stopping RSJ and Davis on the zone read. Containment will be HUGE for the Ricebirds. DE's and OLB's will be key this week.

EC 28, Sealy 14

Dogs_21
10-27-2012, 02:28 PM
El Campo 21 Sealy 14

Scoop27
10-27-2012, 04:18 PM
Can't believe the Birds couldn't score more than 27 points against Needville, 21 coming in first half.

Birds have a lot of offensive weapons and a defense that has shut down opponents so far

Bull's-eye
10-27-2012, 07:12 PM
You are right that Sealy will play tough.

Its been a strange year for El Campo. Offensively El Campo hasn't been forced to show anything. I would say we have seen maybe 50% of the offense we usually see at this point in the season. El Campo's defense has been completely dominant in District play. The offensive stats are there (rushing/total offense). Turnovers and penalties have been only downfall (if you can say hat about an 8-0 team).

Good point about not being forced to show anything. I have only watch EC play one game, so I don't want to jump to any conclusions. IMO, it looked like they play very conservative, even though they have the talent to open things up on offense. Yes, must take care of the ball & eliminate those penalties. EC has made a fan out of me, looking forward to seeing them represent our district in DI. I hope to make a few playoff games!

Scoop27
10-27-2012, 10:09 PM
There is more at stake for Sealy in this game to make the playoffs. If they lose their final two they could miss out. Depends on if Wharton wins against Royal and it could come down to a point difference

whitelightning5
10-29-2012, 12:13 PM
Is there any word on the severity of RSJs injury?

Texas Forever
10-29-2012, 01:06 PM
Correct me if I am wrong..but doesn't this game not really have playoff implications for Sealy? Doesn't it just matter whether or not they beat Bellville? Couldn't they beat EC, but lose to Bellville and not get in? Bellville, Sealy, and Wharton would still all be 7-2 (if Sealy lost to EC it would be 7-3). So if I am not mistaken..Sealy will only make it if they beat Bellville.

Scoop27
10-29-2012, 01:09 PM
Depends if Wharton loses to Royal which would leave Tigers with 3 losses

sTxforlife
10-29-2012, 02:19 PM
Is there any word on the severity of RSJs injury?
He's fine, he didnt play the rest of the Columbus game because he was not needed

hookandladder
10-29-2012, 02:33 PM
If this game is not a must win for Sealy to make the playoffs , my thinking is RSJ may not play at all and if he does he may be used more as a decoy. The way I am seeing these District playoff spots seem to boil down to Sealy beating Bellville , would not surprise me to see Coach Mitchell protect RSJ for the last game. Either way with or without RSJ, El Campo wins this game by 2 or 3 Td's

whitelightning5
10-29-2012, 03:24 PM
Sealy has 1 loss, Bellville has 1 loss, and Wharton now has 2. I am assuming that Wharton and Bellville both win their next game. If Sealy wins against EC, they now have 1 loss going into the Bellville game. If they win both against EC and Bellville, they could end up winning district because they control the tie breaker of a 1 loss team by beating EC head up. If Sealy loses against EC, they now have 2 losses and are tied with Wharton. If Sealy beat Bellville, we now have a 3 way tie for the 2nd and 3rd place representatives (each with 2 losses). In this case there would be no tie breaker by virtue of who beat who. Bellville beat Wharton, but lost to Sealy. Sealy lost to Wharton, but beat Bellville. Wharton beat Sealy, but lost to Bellville. If Sealy loses to EC and Bellville, they will be out, if Wharton beats Royal. If Wharton loses and Sealy loses, the tie breaker would go to Wharton since they beat Sealy straight up. In the event that there is a 3 way tie, I think it falls on the point differential. In that case, Bellville is looking strong, in that the biggest loss came against El Campo, but they have blown out the other teams.

Spanish Camp
10-29-2012, 06:08 PM
I'm thinking Sealy needs to win. If Sealy holds RSJ out in some strategic move (other than injury related), I would have say that they are on crack.....and "crack is whack"---Whitney Houston (RIP)

Yoe_09
10-29-2012, 07:37 PM
Sealy(6-2)
W 62-6 over Houston Milby
L 45-21 to Houston St. Pius X
W 26-20 over Cleveland
W 28-14 over Smithville
W 51-21 over Royal
L 36-35 to Wharton
W 24-16 over Needville
W 54-34 over Columbus

Vs.

El Campo(8-0)
W 31-0 over Waller
W 55-26 over Bryan Rudder
W 56-7 over Bay City
W 16-7 over Richmond Foster
W 28-7 over Bellville
W 63-21 over Royal
W 17-10 over Wharton
W 27-0 over Needville

Thoughts & Predictions?

Pudlugger
10-29-2012, 07:49 PM
The El Campo defense is fundamentally sound, physical, and they tackle very well. I think they can contain Sealy, with or without RSJ and/or Davis at 100%.
The Sealy defense has given up points to everybody they played, even the weaker teams.
However, the last few years, Sealy seems to play up or down to the level of the opponent (unless that opponent is Navasota), so they could play their best game of the year and surprise us all.

El Campo is solid across the board.
If they can avoid mistakes like the excessive penalties against Bellville, and the muffed punt and fumbles against Wharton, the Ricebirds take the W.

:iagree:

Manso/V8
10-29-2012, 10:55 PM
Sealy has 1 loss, Bellville has 1 loss, and Wharton now has 2. I am assuming that Wharton and Bellville both win their next game. If Sealy wins against EC, they now have 1 loss going into the Bellville game. If they win both against EC and Bellville, they could end up winning district because they control the tie breaker of a 1 loss team by beating EC head up. If Sealy loses against EC, they now have 2 losses and are tied with Wharton. If Sealy beat Bellville, we now have a 3 way tie for the 2nd and 3rd place representatives (each with 2 losses). In this case there would be no tie breaker by virtue of who beat who. Bellville beat Wharton, but lost to Sealy. Sealy lost to Wharton, but beat Bellville. Wharton beat Sealy, but lost to Bellville. If Sealy loses to EC and Bellville, they will be out, if Wharton beats Royal. If Wharton loses and Sealy loses, the tie breaker would go to Wharton since they beat Sealy straight up. In the event that there is a 3 way tie, I think it falls on the point differential. In that case, Bellville is looking strong, in that the biggest loss came against El Campo, but they have blown out the other teams.

I did a glance at the UIL tie-breaker rules and from what I gathered, it varies from district to district. If a district chooses to use head to head in a two way tie, and then go to a point system (as opposed to a coin flip, or other) in case of a three way tie. I also read that with a point system there is usually a max number of points (maybe 12-18 points)that a team can get credit for in a game. I am not sure how it works exactly, but I would guess that only the points in the games between the tied teams would count. Maybe the LaGrange folks can tell us what the system was in their district last year......unfortunately they missed the playoffs on points.

Maybe one of the local papers will run an article laying out the possibilities.

regaleagle
10-30-2012, 05:04 AM
The best way to avoid that is for Sealy to beat EC this week, and I think they have the speed and athleticism on their team to do it. They'll probably have to pass it more than usual, but that may be their best bet. They do have a good running game, but like others on here pointed out, EC has such as good and big defensive front. I think I'll take Sealy in this one for the upset. I think Sealy will go all out to win this game in RSJ's Sr. year because they realize THIS is the game and the week to do it against this team. Maybe they'll just go for it offensively and really open up the playbook. I think that's their best chance for an upset here, and I also think the matchup this week favors that. Evidently, they won't need to score tons of points to get a victory, and just need to win by 1.

Manso/V8
10-30-2012, 07:34 AM
The best way to avoid that is for Sealy to beat EC this week, and I think they have the speed and athleticism on their team to do it. They'll probably have to pass it more than usual, but that may be their best bet. They do have a good running game, but like others on here pointed out, EC has such as good and big defensive front. I think I'll take Sealy in this one for the upset. I think Sealy will go all out to win this game in RSJ's Sr. year because they realize THIS is the game and the week to do it against this team. Maybe they'll just go for it offensively and really open up the playbook. I think that's their best chance for an upset here, and I also think the matchup this week favors that. Evidently, they won't need to score tons of points to get a victory, and just need to win by 1.

Slim chance. EC defense is stout, fundamentally strong and they tackle well, similar to Bellville's defense last year, only bigger and better. Bellville was able to contain RSJ and Davis last year, I think EC does the same and more.
The Sealy coach also kind of chokes in big games.

scrub c
10-30-2012, 11:04 AM
EC wins easy

final score depends on how long the birds leave the starters in.

sTxforlife
10-30-2012, 04:47 PM
Slim chance. EC defense is stout, fundamentally strong and they tackle well, similar to Bellville's defense last year, only bigger and better. Bellville was able to contain RSJ and Davis last year, I think EC does the same and more.
The Sealy coach also kind of chokes in big games.
He chokes in big games in the playoffs, during the regular season Jimmie has done a pretty good job at playing teams that are supposed to be better than his team.

Manso/V8
10-30-2012, 08:00 PM
He chokes in big games in the playoffs, during the regular season Jimmie has done a pretty good job at playing teams that are supposed to be better than his team.

Wimberley twice? Wharton?
Sealy also seems to play up or down to the competition, which I tend to put on the coach.
This might be a regular season game but Sealy's next two games are essentially playoff games..
Don't get me wrong, I'm not dogging Jimmie. I don't really know him, but I have a good impression of him.
I just don't put him in the same category as say Helms at Wimberley or Gillis at El Campo.

zebrablue2
10-30-2012, 08:52 PM
Sealy also seems to play up or down to the competition, which I tend to put on the coach.
This might be a regular season game but Sealy's next two games are essentially playoff games..
Don't get me wrong, I'm not dogging Jimmie. I don't really know him, but I have a good impression of him.
I just don't put him in the same category as say Helms at Wimberley or Gillis at El Campo.

Coach Nelms at Wimb is a truly great HS coach. I have met coach Mitchell and he is a good guy, and a very good coach. Never met Gillis.

83Indian
10-30-2012, 09:35 PM
Sealy(6-2)
W 62-6 over Houston Milby
L 45-21 to Houston St. Pius X
W 26-20 over Cleveland
W 28-14 over Smithville
W 51-21 over Royal
L 36-35 to Wharton
W 24-16 over Needville
W 54-34 over Columbus

Vs.

El Campo(8-0)
W 31-0 over Waller
W 55-26 over Bryan Rudder
W 56-7 over Bay City
W 16-7 over Richmond Foster
W 28-7 over Bellville
W 63-21 over Royal
W 17-10 over Wharton
W 27-0 over Needville

Thoughts & Predictions?

I don't know much about these teams strength of schedule. Who has played the better schedule? Would Sealy have won the game RSJ got hurt in?

hollywood
10-30-2012, 09:40 PM
If Sealy wins this game, EC isn't going far in the playoffs.

Scoop27
10-30-2012, 11:13 PM
From El Campo Leader-News

The last home game of the season signifies a culmination of a long, hard-fought year. Generally, Parents Night is always circled on every Ricebird fan’s calendar.

But, Friday’s contest against the Sealy Tigers (6-2, 3-1) entails much more than just another district game.

The Tigers were 8-3 overall and finished 4-0 in District 24-3A last year under head coach Jimmie Mitchell. Along with the Tigers, comes Ricky Seals-Jones.

Now unless you have been living under a rock for the past few months, football fans understand what the sensational Tiger senior brings to the gridiron. Just like his older cousin, NFL Hall of Famer Eric Dickerson, Seals-Jones is a highly-talented player. Considered the top wideout in the country, according to ESPN, Seals-Jones was the overall MVP in District 24-3A last season.

Sealy runs a spread offensive formation and evenly splits its calls between rushing and passing plays.

How will the Ricebirds simulate Seals-Jones in practice?

“You can’t imitate a six-six, two hundred pound guy who runs like a deer,” El Campo head coach Bob Gillis said. “He is a superb athlete. He had a really good game against Columbus and scored two touchdowns. We just need to be aware of where he is on the field.”

The Tigers don’t only have Seals-Jones as an offensive threat. Sealy’s senior running back Jowan Davis is extremely impressive on the ground.

The Rice pledge rushed for 253 yards and three touchdowns last week against Columbus while his star teammate added 4 catches for 39 yards and one touchdown. Seals-Jones also ran back an interception 51 yards for a touchdown against the Cardinals.

“He is a strong and quick runner,” Gillis said about Davis. “He is a really good running back.”

After last week’s 27-0 shutout over Needville, El Campo (8-0, 4-0) sits in first place of the District 25-3A standings. With only two games left in the season, is Friday’s game a must win for the Ricebirds?

“No it’s not a must win,” Gillis said. “If our goal is to be undefeated and our goal is to win the district championship, then we need to beat Sealy because they are the next one on the list.”

El Campo senior quarterback Bryce Brandl passed more efficiently in last week’s win over the Bluejays as the southpaw went 6-for-13 with 147 yards passing and one touchdown. Brandl also added 10 carries for 32 yards rushing with one touchdown.

El Campo will look to Brandl often to air it out.

“We will see what they do and we will try to take what they give us,” Gillis said. “We are going to need to throw the ball. Everybody knows we run first, so we will do that and if we need to pass we will pass.”

The Ricebirds have lost two or more fumbles in the past two games.

Does El Campo think it can beat Sealy with two turnovers?

“Turnovers are not good,” Gillis said. “It’s hard to beat any team with turnovers, so we just need to play mistake-free football.”

The Ricebird defense leads the district in points allowed with a salty 9.8 points per game average.

Sealy should quickly find out what the Ricebirds’ running game consists of with the likes of Montray Johnson, Jack Davis, Keith Sparks and B.J. Flagg carrying a good load on the ground for El Campo. If you thought the game against Wharton was packed, look out because Friday’s contest might have some national media attention along with the Houston media interested. Kick-off is set for 7:30 p.m.

Manso/V8
10-31-2012, 10:32 AM

Regardless, I think EC is the favorite to win the R4, D1 bracket..........beyond that remains to be seen.

Football fan
10-31-2012, 02:05 PM

All they have to do is beat Gonzales in the first round. If they can cut down on the turnovers, I think they have a good chance to do so.

hookandladder
10-31-2012, 02:18 PM
All they have to do is beat Gonzales in the first round. If they can cut down on the turnovers, I think they have a good chance to do so.

Gonzales will give them all they want and more, this will be a great 1st round matchup and yes the winner will be the favorite to win Region 4.

sTxforlife
10-31-2012, 02:25 PM
Oh definitely not, those guys can actually get out of the 1st and 2nd rounds of the playoffs, in no way would I EVER put Jimmie in that category.

Manso/V8
10-31-2012, 05:21 PM
Oh definitely not, those guys can actually get out of the 1st and 2nd rounds of the playoffs, in no way would I EVER put Jimmie in that category.

Whoa, the caps are telling..........everyone can't be the best. What impresses me about Helms is obviously the success, but also the relative consistency of the program and the way his teams seem to find a way to win when they are behind the eight ball.

Manso/V8
11-01-2012, 11:46 AM
Any news on RSJ?
Is he expected to play in the El Campo game?

bdblm97
11-01-2012, 12:22 PM
I think quite a few people have been waiting on this one.

If El Campo comes out sharp, I say El Campo in a close one. RSJ is definitly worth a couple of big plays, but I think the 'Birds have contained plenty of big time players in years past.

Can't wait for Friday.

Except those that have played for La Marque...the Ricebirds are still O'fer against the Coogs. Maybey they will finally hae a chance now that they probably won't have to play La Marque

YTBulldogs
11-01-2012, 12:29 PM
With RSJ, Sealy win's by four, 28-24.

sTxforlife
11-01-2012, 12:51 PM
Any news on RSJ?
Is he expected to play in the El Campo game?
RSJ will play, I don't think there was ever a decision to make here since the ankle injury suffered against columbus was very minor.

hookandladder
11-01-2012, 02:13 PM
RSJ will play, I don't think there was ever a decision to make here since the ankle injury suffered against columbus was very minor.

I heard a rumor the other way, personally I hope he does play. I have watched him play since his 8th grade year in football and basketball, he seems like a great young man. Wish him nothing but the best , wherever he decides to play at the next level.

Manso/V8
11-01-2012, 05:46 PM
Whatever happens on Friday, we want a full strength Sealy team the following week.

speedbump
11-01-2012, 06:42 PM
Whatever happens on Friday, we want a full strength Sealy team the following week.

Was Bellville full strength following the EC game? Wharton?

gambler1606
11-01-2012, 08:59 PM
In order for us to have a chance against El Campo, we have to throw the ball more than we run. Get the recievers out in space and maybe good things happen. We can't run the ball all night long and try to control the clock. We have probably the best core of recievers to come through Sealy in a very long time. We have to be aggressive all night and take chances. We can't have "Needless Penalties" and pretty much have to play a mistake free game in order to win. As for Jimmie being out coached!! Every Coach has been out coached before, it's just part of the game. When you have a 1st round date with "Nasty" 2 years in a row, who is a factory for good football players, luck was not on our side. Sealy is a very proud program as is El Campo and we need to play this game and not worry about next week. "One game at a time".

Manso/V8
11-01-2012, 09:08 PM
Was Bellville full strength following the EC game? Wharton?

Definitely not. We were not full strength after our second defensive play against EC.....losing our best player (SS) to an ankle injury, then there was the starting DT that went down with a knee in the 2nd, and another DT that went down with a knee injury in the 3rd, and the OLB that left the game in the 3rd for some type of injury which I think might have been a bruised ego. The SS was still out for the Wharton game and our strong side OT missed the second with a knee injury. That is part of the game. I think/hope most of those kids will be back for the Sealy game.

I guess I should have been more specific.
I hope RSJ and Davis are back for the game against Bellville.
We have watched those two develop in to fine athletes over the last several years and I would like to see them play one more time in what is the big rivalry game in Austin County.

zebrablue2
11-01-2012, 11:32 PM
With RSJ, Sealy win's by four, 28-24.

Not gonna happen!!! Birds will win this game....

whitelightning5
11-02-2012, 12:39 PM
Not gonna happen!!! Birds will win this game....

I'm not claiming to be "in the know"..... That said, if it is any indication of where RSJ is headed after high-school....in the Sealy news paper this past week (also shown on Sealy News Online), RSJ is wearing receivers gloves with the aTm logo on the palms.

Ville-D
11-02-2012, 02:05 PM
El Campo by 11

bird_fan
11-02-2012, 03:14 PM
Im a homer picking the Birds
past games
1986 Sealy 29 El Campo 20
1987 El Campo 28 Sealy 21
1988 cancelled hurricane
1989 El Campo 34 Sealy 7
1990 Sealy 20 El Campo 14
1991 El Campo 24 Sealy 7

sTxforlife
11-02-2012, 04:02 PM
Hey guys this is for the El Campo posters, where's the best place to eat in El Campo?