PDA

View Full Version : Region III Week 9 GotW: Columbia(7-2) Vs. La Marque(7-1)

Dogs_21
10-27-2012, 01:05 PM
Who you picking? District 24-3A Championship!

defense51
10-27-2012, 01:41 PM
This should be a fun game to watch, would love to see this one! Roughnecks by 7

SHSBulldog00
10-27-2012, 02:01 PM
Necks

Dogs_21
10-27-2012, 02:05 PM
I'm going to say LM by 2TD's

Saggy Aggie
10-27-2012, 02:22 PM
I think this will be a good one. I'm a homer so, WC by 7.

Pudlugger
10-27-2012, 02:30 PM
West Columbia has gelled into a real good football team. They have the horses on offense to put up big points and finally we are seeing that. LM may not like what they get next week playing the Roughnecks. WC by 13

speedbump
10-27-2012, 03:24 PM
No more powder puffs for the Necks. La Marque by at least two TDs.

Spanish Camp
10-27-2012, 03:33 PM
La Marque is getting primed for the playoffs. Probably just starting to practice after school.

La Marque wins big.

Saggy Aggie
10-27-2012, 03:35 PM
Just food for thought...

WC & LM have 2 common opponents:

WC 43
Sweeny 3

LM 19
Sweeny 0

WC 54
Kipp 5

LM 60
Kipp 0

Football fan
10-27-2012, 03:54 PM
La Marque is getting primed for the playoffs. Probably just starting to practice after school.

La Marque wins big.

Nailed it. Although I'm not sure they care about this game either.

They may wait for the playoffs to turn it on.

defense51
10-27-2012, 04:35 PM

La Marque wins big.

LaMarque may win, but I doubt they will win big. WC can play some football and score with the big boys, I agree with pudlugger they have gelled and are gaining momentum. Close game either way, but I like WC by a td.

Dogs_21
10-27-2012, 04:48 PM
Columbia is playing good football at the moment but they are going to have to be able to pass the ball to beat the Coogs.

Bull's-eye
10-27-2012, 07:00 PM
Go Necks!

Spanish Camp
10-27-2012, 07:10 PM
WC is a good team.

I am not sure that LM has ever faced a team like WC. Ever.

Dub-C
10-27-2012, 07:17 PM
Columbia is playing good football at the moment but they are going to have to be able to pass the ball to beat the Coogs.

That's the same thing Chapel Hill Said and we scored on a 69 yrd TD RUN by Floyd. I believe we'll get our points but also just like the Chill game it'll be the Defense that will have too win the game. WC in a close one. I don't know if La Marque is sandbagging on offense but their production seems to be down a little but they are still dangerous. GATA NECKS

defense51
10-27-2012, 07:48 PM
WC is a good team.

I am not sure that LM has ever faced a team like WC. Ever.

I'm detecting a hint of sarcasm.

Saggy Aggie
10-27-2012, 08:58 PM
I'm detecting a hint of sarcasm.

Lol yeah, just go read his first post on this thread

Necks88Fan
10-28-2012, 12:51 AM
I'm curious to see if Columbia will throw the kitchen sink at La Marque. Some bag tricks are best reserved for playoffs. After all, being that both teams are guaranteed a playoff spot, district title and a last week bye for next year will be the only thing to fight for in this game. Also, these two will meet again since both will be D2, if they both make it that far. I expect this to be a close game with penalties and/or turnovers being the deciding factor. I have not seen any of La Marque but from the teams they have played, I know they're a team to be respected. Will definately be a good measuring stick for both teams going into the playoffs. I'll have to be a homer myself and go with the necks by a score.

Roughneck93
10-28-2012, 11:39 AM
I'm looking for a close game here. Of course...I'm picking the Necks...by 6.

Roughneck93
10-28-2012, 12:14 PM
Need your help in making the Columbia/La Marque game "The Friday Football Frenzy Game of the Week".

Go to http://www.Click2Houston. (http://www.Click2Houston.com/) to vote.

1971Coogs
10-28-2012, 01:56 PM
:stirpot::1popcorn:

Dogs_21
10-28-2012, 02:38 PM
Coogs defense looked great against Dallas Bishop. Wonder what Lynch and the necks going to try to run at them.

Dub-C
10-28-2012, 02:44 PM
Coogs defense looked great against Dallas Bishop. Wonder what Lynch and the necks going to try to run at them.

It's not gonna be an easy task. Our defense is doing pretty good theirselves. Just ask the dawgs, lol. It'll be a good game next Friday. Hope Sweeny can get past KIPP.

Roughneck93
10-28-2012, 03:38 PM
Need your help in making the Columbia/La Marque game "The Friday Football Frenzy Game of the Week".

Go to http://www.Click2Houston. (http://www.Click2Houston.com/) to vote.

Necks/Coogs game has taken the lead as Game of the Week. Thanks for the votes , but please keep them coming!

http://www.Click2Houston.com/

Spanish Camp
10-28-2012, 04:18 PM
I have some insider knowledge that will help the Necks. All you have to do is disrupt their basic philosophy to win:

First, La Marque always does a great job with Personel. What I mean by this is that they make sure that they have a better player/athelete than you at each of the 22 positions. Then, they take the really good ones and they play some special teams. Then, usually in November, the start making sure none of these type players miss the bus. This process squally continues until mid-December when the UIL tells them that there are no more games or until they can no longer get them on the bus.

If you can disrupt this, you are golden.

If La Marque knows hey are in no matter what, then they may not show up. I still think the Coogs roll.

regaleagle
10-28-2012, 05:04 PM
La Marque had trouble with Bishop Lynch out of Dallas in the TAPPS league. They are not even a playoff team in that district. I'm not sure La Marque is all they were touted to be. I look for WC to win this one after that game against Lynch. I don't know much about either team...just about Bishop Lynch. Besides, WC seems to always play a pretty good brand of football year in and year out.

Dogs_21
10-28-2012, 05:44 PM
It's not gonna be an easy task. Our defense is doing pretty good theirselves. Just ask the dawgs, lol. It'll be a good game next Friday. Hope Sweeny can get past KIPP.

True, Columbia defense isn't bad at all! It should be a pretty good game. I just think you will have to pass the ball to beat the Coogs because that run defense is stout but on the other hand their weakness seems to be offense.

SHSBulldog00
10-28-2012, 06:24 PM
La Marque had trouble with Bishop Lynch out of Dallas in the TAPPS league. They are not even a playoff team in that district. I'm not sure La Marque is all they were touted to be. I look for WC to win this one after that game against Lynch. I don't know much about either team...just about Bishop Lynch. Besides, WC seems to always play a pretty good brand of football year in and year out.

Food for thought

Dallas Bishop Lynch lost to LM by 12

WC HC is Randy Lynch

:thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking:

:evillol:

SintonFan
10-28-2012, 08:44 PM
I'm gonna pull for the 'Necks. Just because... just because...

pirate4state
10-28-2012, 08:49 PM
Cheering for the 'Necks! GATA!

Roughneck93
10-28-2012, 10:20 PM
Keep those votes coming! :) Looks like this is going to close. Winner will be announced on Tuesday...

Which should be Game of the Week for Friday Football Frenzy on Nov. 2?
Manvel vs. Pearland - 47% (14688 votes)

Sterling vs. Washington - 0% (42 votes)

Lamar vs. Bellaire - 6% (1958 votes)

West Columbia vs. La Marque - 47%(14670 votes)

Total Votes: 31,358
Percentages may not add up to 100% due to rounding

Vote here....
http://www.Click2Houston.com/sports (http://www.Click2Houston.com/sports)

cougartino
10-29-2012, 09:38 AM

I braved the cold. That game is not indicative of what we are. We were pretty vanilla on offense and stout on defense. Coogs by 10.

Saggy Aggie
10-29-2012, 09:40 AM
Wish I could be there for this one.

Busiest week of my life in school though. Smh

Dub-C
10-29-2012, 09:46 AM
I braved the cold. That game is not indicative of what we are. We were pretty vanilla on offense and stout on defense. Coogs by 10.

What happened against Sweeny? They held y'all to 19 points. It just seems odd that the Coogs are not scoring a lot of points against these teams.

HEMOTOXIC
10-29-2012, 09:50 AM
Columbia has turned on over the past few weeks. I'm going with the upset. Roughnecks by 7.

cougartino
10-29-2012, 10:41 AM
What happened against Sweeny? They held y'all to 19 points. It just seems odd that the Coogs are not scoring a lot of points against these teams.

If we score 14 and WC 13, it's still a win.

Dub-C
10-29-2012, 10:57 AM
Really? Still doesn't answer the my question? Your offense was rolling then slowed down and I was wondering why, that's it. Will the Gold freshman team be any better than the white?

cougartino
10-29-2012, 11:07 AM
Really? Still doesn't answer the my question? Your offense was rolling then slowed down and I was wondering why, that's it. Will the Gold freshman team be any better than the white?

Really. If we score one more than our opponent, we'll win. I'll defer the rest until Friday, say 10 - 10:30PM.

scrub c
10-29-2012, 11:10 AM
Looks like WC dont stand a chance... WC is not even in the top 25.

Dub-C
10-29-2012, 11:16 AM
Really. If we score one more than our opponent, we'll win. I'll defer the rest until Friday, say 10 - 10:30PM.

I'll know the answer win or lose by that time. All the pressure is on the Coogs not WC cause y'all are state ranked and picked too win. Good luck to the Coogs on Thurday and Friday.

cougartino
10-29-2012, 11:29 AM
I'll know the answer win or lose by that time. All the pressure is on the Coogs not WC cause y'all are state ranked and picked too win. Good luck to the Coogs on Thurday and Friday.

Good luck to yawl, too!

Yoe_09
10-29-2012, 07:32 PM
Columbia(7-2)
W 58-31 over Freeport Brazosport
W 28-0 over Needville
L 23-21 to Wharton
W 18-7 over Kashmere
L 32-17 to Hempstead
W 48-0 over Bay City
W 45-21 over Stafford
W 43-3 over Sweeny
W 54-5 over Sunnyside

Vs.

La Marque(7-1)
W 35-12 over Galveston Ball
W 34-21 over Texas City
L 27-21 OT to Coldspring
W 39-14 over Rosenberg Lamar Consolidated
W 35-14 over Houston St. Pius X
W 19-0 over Sweeny
W 60-0 over Sunnyside
W 12-0 over Dallas Bishop Lynch

Thoughts & Predictions?

regaleagle
10-30-2012, 06:17 AM
Not sure about either one of these teams this season. Personally, I think LM has a really good defense, but lacks on offense. If WC has a good defense too, and can pass it on LM, I think they will win. If it comes down to a power game on the ground, I think LM will win that battle. Just depends on how the coaching staffs decide how to run their offenses in this game, I think. I call it a toss-up. Just don't know how this game will go. It'll probably be close, either way.

Sville
10-30-2012, 08:27 AM
WC gotta score to win,

WE ARE LA MARQUE,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,WHOOSH!!!! by 14.

scrub c
10-30-2012, 11:12 AM
ha ha...

that was then, (and I remember--it was pretty cool) I wonder if they still do that.

cougartino
10-30-2012, 03:40 PM
ha ha...

that was then, (and I remember--it was pretty cool) I wonder if they still do that.

Yep!

yellaseeker
10-30-2012, 09:24 PM
Not sure about either one of these teams this season. Personally, I think LM has a really good defense, but lacks on offense. If WC has a good defense too, and can pass it on LM, I think they will win. If it comes down to a power game on the ground, I think LM will win that battle. Just depends on how the coaching staffs decide how to run their offenses in this game, I think. I call it a toss-up. Just don't know how this game will go. It'll probably be close, either way.

Regal, for you to claim not knowing either team, I'd say you hit the nail pretty much right on the head, atleast in my opinion. I totally agree with your assessment. I believe Columbia's defense is about equal to LM's but their O'line a little short of LM's. Since the consensus is that LM's pass defense is their greatest weakness, if Columbia can exploit that, they have a better than average chance of getting the "W". Won't really know until the dust settles Friday night.

bdblm97
10-31-2012, 03:17 PM
Ok I read every reply here and I have a few comments:
With all due respect from an observer of each LM game this season

1) The pressure is not on LM to win this game belive it or not, this whole season has been more like practice for the playoffs. TRUTH...not being cocky

2) As far as the common opponents go, LM beat Sweeny 3 tds 0 but only worked on their passing game that night, they didnt run the ball at all until it was time to put it away. They were working in a plethora of new young WR's that night and btw had wide open WR's everywhere. As far as the KIPP game goes, KIPP played really hard and respectable but LM called off the dogs on both sides of the ball very early in this one. They were more or less jogging in this game.

3) LM's Strength is their defense, and one of the fastest groups you will see this season. Within that defense the strength is the secondary. Whoever said LM's weakness was pass D, think again. LM would love for a team to try and pass on them. The DB's are very fast agressive and athletic. Even when they appear to be beat their recover speed is amazing and they all love the big hits. Also on the defensive side of the ball LM has a very big athletic DE #45 named Montegue who has dominated OT's since his sophomore season, he is a sack master. The LB's are quick and aggressive but are probably the weak link in this solid defense. They will give up some gorund on 1st and 2nd downs but when they dial up the blitzes...WOW!

4) The offesnse has not been slowed, they take what the defense gives them and have played very vanilla for 90% of the season. When yu can run effectively and play solid defense theres no need to open it up.

5) Offensively the LM line is big and fast but not very aggressive in the run game, but improving in this area. The offensive strength is in the pass protection. When they do decide to pass, the QB has all day long to pick and choose who to throw to.

6) Special teams return game is awesome. If the kick coverage is lax in any way LM will get big gains in this area. They also do a great job of peel back kill shot blocking during returns.

Weaknesses of the LM Coogs

1) They commit too many penalties and turnovers leaving a lot of points on the field that could have been scored. This is their achilles heel as a team.

2) The QB is a great runner and has a good arm but he does not read the field well. He often has 2 - 4 WR's open when they spread it out but he does not make hot reads very quickly.

3) Kicking game is horrendous. LM has missed many extra points and chip shot FG's. Punting is decent but could be better.

4) LM sometimes loses focus and underestimates the opponent.

Judge for yourself all of their game highlights are on Youtube just search La marque football...there are hundreds of videos that go all the way back to 1986.

Oh yeah btw...LM has played WC a few times before. LM was victorious each time.

bdblm97
10-31-2012, 03:35 PM
This is LM vs Texas City who has one of the most explosive offenses in the state in 4A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMQ4SyUGqO0&feature=plcp

bdblm97
10-31-2012, 03:47 PM
LM vs Coldspring...just for reference

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvF3itfW_Bc&feature=relmfu

bdblm97
10-31-2012, 03:53 PM
La Marque vs Sweeny

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yy3Zd-P5GF0

ronwx5x
10-31-2012, 05:16 PM
Columbia vs 2A Hempstead! I was there and WC was not good, at least that night.

Dub-C
10-31-2012, 05:24 PM

That was one game and that is all it takes to lose. That's saying much for Hempstead either.

Dub-C
10-31-2012, 05:41 PM
Check out this video on YouTube:<br/><br/>http://youtu.be/H3lczzHsYVs

WC can play fast football, 3 of the fastest players are still playing this year.

Roughneck93
10-31-2012, 06:58 PM

Can't argue with that showing by the Necks...:ack!:

We've improved a little since then. ;)

bdblm97
10-31-2012, 08:43 PM
Well, we'll just have to see what happens Friday. May the best team win.

bdblm97
10-31-2012, 09:49 PM
For all WC fans looking to make the trip over to La Marque Friday, if you're looking for a good pre game barbecue meal I highly recommend The Pit Stop Barbecue in LM @ 45N at Main Street just less than a mile from Etheredge Stadium. Myself, Cougartino and a few other LM faithful have made this our pregame hangout. Excellent sandwiches, the best ribs in Texas and a $12.99 ribeye special that is awesome. Join us if you like, we normally congregate around 6pm.

Roughneck93
10-31-2012, 10:11 PM
For all WC fans looking to make the trip over to La Marque Friday, if you're looking for a good pre game barbecue meal I highly recommend The Pit Stop Barbecue in LM @ 45N at Main Street just less than a mile from Etheredge Stadium. Myself, Cougartino and a few other LM faithful have made this our pregame hangout. Excellent sandwiches, the best ribs in Texas and a $12.99 ribeye special that is awesome. Join us if you like, we normally congregate around 6pm.

Sounds good. Looks like I know where I'll be eating prior to the game.

Necked
10-31-2012, 10:47 PM
Speaking of Etheredge Stadium, where are all the available parking lots?

bdblm97
11-01-2012, 06:29 AM
Visitor parking behind the visiting bleachers on the east side.

1971Coogs
11-01-2012, 07:10 AM
Sounds good. Looks like I know where I'll be eating prior to the game.You will be very pleased. Oh by the way, tell the team to stop by Pit Stop Bar B Que before the game.....you can't play on an empty stomach.:crazy1:

Roughneck93
11-01-2012, 07:48 AM
From The Facts...

Roughnecks end regular season with La Marque for District 24-3A title

By ALEX YBARRA | Posted: Thursday, November 1, 2012 2:00 am
WEST COLUMBIA — Sometimes the season plays out as it should.
Columbia and La Marque were expected to battle it out for District 24-3A before the games began, and as the season comes to a close, that will be the case at 7:30 p.m. Friday at Etheredge Stadium in La Marque.

It’s the regular season finale for Columbia (3-0, 7-2), which has a bye in Week 10 and hopes to seal a district championship for the third straight year. La Marque, facing Stafford on Nov. 9, is trying to secure its first district title since dropping to 3A this year.

“Obviously it’s an important game for both of us because it’s gonna determine the seeding when it comes to the playoffs,” Columbia coach Randy Lynch said. “We both have clinched a playoff spot, but we still both are going after the district championship.”

It’s a pretty even matchup on paper.

La Marque (2-0, 7-1) — the No. 5-ranked 3A team in the most recent Texas AP High School football poll — leads the district with 376.8 yards per game, just a shade more than Columbia’s 374.8. Defensively, Columbia has the slim edge, giving up 161 yards per game, while La Marque allows 173.1.

“Defensively, they are by far one of the best defenses we’ve faced this year,” Lynch said. “They’re very physical and they have a lot of speed. We knew that coming in earlier this season.”

Columbia has reeled off four convincing victories since a 32-17 loss to Hempstead on Sept. 28. In wins against Bay City (48-0), Stafford (45-21), Sweeny (43-3) and KIPP Sunnyside (54-5), Columbia’s margin of victory is 40.25.

La Marque’s defense, which doesn’t go both ways like Columbia’s, is playing at a high level, too, shutting out Sweeny (19-0), KIPP Sunnyside (60-0) and Bishop Lynch (12-0) in the past three weeks.

But it won’t be the best in the district come Friday, and La Marque coach Mike Jackson made sure his team knows that.

“Defensively, don’t think for a second our kids don’t know they’re ranked statistically in front of us,” Jackson said. “That’s something we’ve made abundantly clear of our defense, ‘You’re the second-best defense going into the game.’”

La Marque certainly will be tested by Columbia’s offense.

The Roughnecks are thriving behind running backs Floyd Bess (141 carries, 1,186 yards, 14 touchdowns) and Broderick Thomas (109 carries, 706 yards, 11 touchdowns). And quarterback Willis Johnson has performed better in the passing game lately.

“They’re good at what they do,” Jackson said. “They know who they are. They’re not a team searching for their identity. They know what they are and who they are.”

La Marque quarterback Demun Mercer, who has thrown for 865 yards, 12 touchdowns and three interceptions while adding 885 yards and 11 scores on the ground, leads an offense that Jackson said hasn’t “exploded” just yet. Sophomore tailback LaDarrian Ellis-Jones has 136 carries for 686 yards and seven touchdowns, and Alan Cooper has added 365 yards with two scores.

“We haven’t popped on offense yet,” Jackson said. “We’re in Week 9. We expect to be more explosive and we’re not right now.”

That’s quite a change from past seasons, as La Marque seems to be grinding out victories through defense this season instead of blowing away opponents on offense.

“They’re like us, there have been a few games where they had the turnover bug and everything,” Lynch said. “It’s limited some of their scoring opportunities.”

The Roughnecks have lost seven of eight meetings, defeating the Cougars in 1956 (38-27). La Marque has won all six games since then, including the last time the teams met in 2000 (29-21).

“It’s gonna be a tough battle, there’s no doubt,” Lynch said. “Our kids are excited about the opportunity, and they’re looking forward to the challenge and to see where we stand.”

http://thefacts.com/sports/article_185ecefa-23db-11e2-8692-0019bb2963f4.html

Lucky2Coach
11-01-2012, 10:24 AM
If Santa Fe is blowing out Texas City at half, I'm going to head over to LM and watch the second half.

HEMOTOXIC
11-01-2012, 10:48 AM
Columbia has turned on over the past few weeks. I'm going with the upset. Roughnecks by 7.

Scratch that.. Give me La Marque by 14.

bdblm97
11-01-2012, 10:50 AM
If Santa Fe is blowing out Texas City at half, I'm going to head over to LM and watch the second half.

I almost fell out of my seat laughing

1971Coogs
11-01-2012, 05:20 PM
Excellent post Roughneck93 ;)

Roughneck93
11-01-2012, 07:44 PM
Excellent post Roughneck93 ;)

:thumbsup:

Some good info in that article.

Roughneck93
11-01-2012, 07:46 PM
Sub-varsity score...

La Marque Fr 26
Columbia Fr 6
Final

Roughneck93
11-01-2012, 08:33 PM
Sub-varsity score...

La Marque Fr 26
Columbia Fr 6
Final

La Marque JV 30
Columbia JV 6
Final

1971Coogs
11-02-2012, 11:35 AM
"We are La Marque Cougars ! Whoosh ...."

Saggy Aggie
11-02-2012, 01:11 PM
Well if Thursday is any indication of what happens tonight, it won't be good. Hopefully the varsity performs much better

Ville-D
11-02-2012, 02:04 PM
Cougs by 11

cougartino
11-02-2012, 03:07 PM
REMINDER

If you can make, please join us for the pregame ritual at the Pit Stop BBQ at 6PM!

zebrablue2
11-02-2012, 04:06 PM
Best of luck to the Necks!!!

Dub-C
11-02-2012, 05:37 PM
Gata

Roughneck93
11-02-2012, 07:39 PM
Coogs get the ball first. Forced to punt after getting one first down.

Necks start their series at their own 10.

Roughneck93
11-02-2012, 07:42 PM
Necks punt after gaining one first down.

LM ball at their own 34.

Roughneck93
11-02-2012, 07:44 PM
LM goes three and out.

After a short punt, Necks ball at LM 48.

Roughneck93
11-02-2012, 07:51 PM
Necks turn the ball over on downs at the LM 20.

Roughneck93
11-02-2012, 07:53 PM
Scoreless here in LM...

End 1st

Roughneck93
11-02-2012, 08:01 PM
Coogs forced to punt.

Necks ball at their own 19.

Roughneck93
11-02-2012, 08:06 PM
Necks go three and out.

LM ball at their 46.

Necks better keep their heads on a swivel...LM with some vicious blocks on punt return.

Roughneck93
11-02-2012, 08:10 PM
Mercer converts a 4th and 13.

Down to the Columbia 9.

Roughneck93
11-02-2012, 08:15 PM
LM turns the ball over on downs at the Necks 5.

Roughneck93
11-02-2012, 08:19 PM
Necks forced to punt.

LM ball at their own 48.

1:11 2nd

Roughneck93
11-02-2012, 08:23 PM
LM punts.

Necks ball at their own 14.

Roughneck93
11-02-2012, 08:25 PM
LM 0
Columbia 0

Half

Old Green
11-02-2012, 08:33 PM
Good defensive game.

NHSBulldog75
11-02-2012, 08:36 PM
Thanks for the updates 93!!!!

Roughneck93
11-02-2012, 08:46 PM
Great game so far.

Both defenses living up to expectations.

Roughneck93
11-02-2012, 08:49 PM
Necks will be getting the ball first in the second half.

Roughneck93
11-02-2012, 08:54 PM
Wow...

Necks mishandled the kickoff, LM recovers at the 28.

Roughneck93
11-02-2012, 08:58 PM
TD LM...

Mercer 4-yard td run.

7-0 Coogs

11:06 3rd

Roughneck93
11-02-2012, 09:01 PM
Necks go three and out.

LM ball at their own 34.

Coogs D is stout.

Roughneck93
11-02-2012, 09:08 PM
LM forced to punt.

Necks ball at the 20.

Dub-C
11-02-2012, 09:08 PM
Classless

Roughneck93
11-02-2012, 09:14 PM
Necks go three and out.

Punt is blocked, returned for a LM td.

14-0 Coogs

6:11 3rd

Saggy Aggie
11-02-2012, 09:16 PM
Damn 2 columbia turnovers on ST is the difference.

Can't do crap offensively.

Roughneck93
11-02-2012, 09:23 PM
Necks driving.

First and ten from the LM 11.

Roughneck93
11-02-2012, 09:31 PM
Necks fumble, LM's Montegue returns it for a long td.

21-0 Coogs

2:26 3rd

Roughneck93
11-02-2012, 09:37 PM
Necks go three and out.

LM ball at their own 27.

Roughneck93
11-02-2012, 09:38 PM
21-0 LM

End 3rd

Roughneck93
11-02-2012, 09:43 PM
TD LM...

22-yard td pass.

28-0 LM

9:49 4th

Roughneck93
11-02-2012, 09:46 PM
LM with a pick at midfield.

Roughneck93
11-02-2012, 09:52 PM
TD LM...

Ellis-Jones 2-yard td run.

34-0 LM

7:10 4th

Roughneck93
11-02-2012, 10:03 PM
TD LM...

Franklin 100-yard pick 6.

41-0 LM

4:34 4th

Roughneck93
11-02-2012, 10:07 PM
LM with another pick.

At the Columbia 34.

Football fan
11-02-2012, 10:08 PM
Ouch. Not surprised by the outcome.

LM is in another league.

Roughneck93
11-02-2012, 10:14 PM
TD LM...

Ward 2-yard td run.

48-0 LM

1:30 4th

Roughneck93
11-02-2012, 10:19 PM
La Marque 48
Columbia 0

Final

Congrats on the win Coogs. Good luck to y'all in the playoffs.

Matthew328
11-02-2012, 10:21 PM
So do the doubters believe now?

Roughneck93
11-02-2012, 10:32 PM
REMINDER

If you can make, please join us for the pregame ritual at the Pit Stop BBQ at 6PM!

It was a pleasure meeting y'all Tino. The food was great and the beer was cold. Good luck to the Coogs down the road.

vtskneb
11-02-2012, 10:37 PM

Doubt it, Whoooosh! My question is how good is Kilgore after tonight?

Roughneck93
11-02-2012, 10:52 PM
Box score from chron.com...

http://www.chron.com/sports/highschool/scoreboard/?site=default&mkt=houston&Season=2012&tpl=Boxscore&ID=146131&Sport=1&TeamID=119&SearchType=Teams

Football fan
11-02-2012, 10:52 PM

Not sure why anyone doubted it.

1971Coogs
11-02-2012, 11:18 PM
It was a pleasure meeting y'all Tino. The food was great and the beer was cold. Good luck to the Coogs down the road.
You are a class act Roughneck93....It would have been my pleasure to have met you. The Coogs Sports Net crew was atop the press box on the camera deck. I can say this. The West Columbia crowd showed up in force and stayed till the final tick. Very few teams across this state support their teams like that. My hat's go off to the young men who played both ways and went 100% the entire game. Class act organization....class act fans. :2thumbsup

1971Coogs
11-02-2012, 11:20 PM
I only wish that La Marque would have opened up the offense.....

Old Green
11-02-2012, 11:23 PM
Congrats Cougers! Sorry for the loss Necks

cougartino
11-02-2012, 11:36 PM
You are a class act Roughneck93....It would have been my pleasure to have met you. The Coogs Sports Net crew was atop the press box on the camera deck. I can say this. The West Columbia crowd showed up in force and stayed till the final tick. Very few teams across this state support their teams like that. My hat's go off to the young men who played both ways and went 100% the entire game. Class act organization....class act fans. :2thumbsup

Ditto here! It was good to meet you my friend. Glad you experienced the Pit Stop. Don't be a stranger. Good luck to the Necks in the playoffs!

Roughneck93
11-02-2012, 11:45 PM

Thank you sir.

Yes we love our Roughnecks and show support no matter the outcome.

Great job that you guys do over in La Marque with your program. That defense is straight out tough to score on!

I hope D-24 has a great run in the playoffs and we get to see a rematch down the line. Good luck.

Saggy Aggie
11-03-2012, 12:02 AM

+1

West columbia always represents well. Class act town and team. Sinton is another well known for that.

Congrats to the Coogs. They are good and they'll be a very tough out for anyone. Good luck the rest of the way. Us roughneck fans can only hope for a rematch in regionals.

Man, stout defense and that was a rough second half. Good lord.

Not much to say, WC was hanging tough and then a couple turnovers and it just went downhill from there.

zebrablue2
11-03-2012, 12:08 AM
Congrats Cougers! Sorry for the loss Necks

:ditto:

HEMOTOXIC
11-03-2012, 12:13 AM

I love The Roughneck Crowds!

cougartino
11-03-2012, 04:46 AM
Cougars roll, crush Columbia
By Jordan Godwin
The Daily News
Published November 3, 2012

LA MARQUE — The Columbia Roughnecks made the biggest mistake of the night, and the game hadn’t even started.

When the Roughnecks walked into Etheredge Stadium to face the La Marque Cougars in a battle between undefeated teams in District 24-3A, they committed the cardinal sin of La Marque football lore.

The Roughnecks walked through the La Marque entrance, walked down the middle of the field and stood on top of the gold Cougar paw at midfield, a bold gesture seen as the ultimate sign of disrespect to the La Marque players.

By the end of La Marque’s 48-0 beat-down, the Cougars had taught Columbia a valuable lesson for future reference — don’t mess with the paw.

“Here at La Marque, we may not have as much money or enrollment as we used to, but we still have our pride, tradition and this stadium,” La Marque head coach Mike Jackson said, before downplaying the gesture’s role in the final score. “We were focused on executing our game plan, but I think our kids saw it as a sign of disrespect.”

In their final high school football game at Etheredge Stadium, the La Marque seniors went out with a bang, securing a share of the school’s first district championship since 2006, the last time the Cougars won a state title.

But at halftime, La Marque (8-1 overall, 4-0 district) didn’t seem interested in a dominating performance. Stuck in a defensive battle loaded with offensive miscues, the Cougars were in a scoreless tie with Columbia (7-3, 3-1).

“That’s been a struggle for us all year,” Jackson said. “We get in these dogfights before we get rolling, but we just told them to keep chopping wood and they’ll get tired and make mental errors.”

The plan worked perfectly from the opening kickoff to start the second half.

Columbia muffed the kickoff, and La Marque quickly turned it into a score when senior quarterback Demun Mercer punched in a 4-yard touchdown run.

On the next series, La Marque blocked a punt, and senior defensive end Lawrence Montegut picked it up and ran it in to give the Cougars a two-score lead. Less than three minutes of game-clock later, Montegut struck gold again, this time picking up a quarterback fumble and running it 63 yards for the touchdown.

Suddenly up 21-0, the Cougar offense settled down and scored on a 15-yard pass from Mercer to Demetrius James.

But La Marque was not complacent with a 28-0 lead.

Sophomore running back Ladarrian Ellis-Jones scored on a 2-yard run before the defense scored its fourth touchdown of the night on an interception by Reggie Franklin, who returned it 101 yards for the score. On the very next drive, Chason Douglas intercepted his second pass of the game, a forced turnover that was capped off by a 2-yard touchdown run by Thomas Ward.

Ellis-Jones led the La Marque offense with 108 rushing yards on 16 carries, and Mercer had 86 yards on 17 carries.

The Cougars handed the Columbia Roughnecks — the two-time reigning District 24-3A champions — their most lopsided loss in more than a decade. La Marque registered its fourth straight shutout by holding Columbia to less than 200 total yards of offense.

La Marque can secure the district title outright by beating Stafford next week in the regular-season finale.

“If we turn around and lose to Stafford, then we have to share the district championship,” Jackson said. “And I don’t think our kids are interested in that.”
---------------

Angleton did this in 2007. Final La Marque 32, Angleton 14

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Db7IdYjm9d8

Spanish Camp
11-03-2012, 05:30 AM
Looks like the Coogs can smell the playoffs. They will be tough to beat.

scrub c
11-03-2012, 07:23 AM
Cougars roll, crush Columbia
By Jordan Godwin
The Daily News
Published November 3, 2012

LA MARQUE — The Columbia Roughnecks made the biggest mistake of the night, and the game hadn’t even started.

When the Roughnecks walked into Etheredge Stadium to face the La Marque Cougars in a battle between undefeated teams in District 24-3A, they committed the cardinal sin of La Marque football lore.

The Roughnecks walked through the La Marque entrance, walked down the middle of the field and stood on top of the gold Cougar paw at midfield, a bold gesture seen as the ultimate sign of disrespect to the La Marque players.

By the end of La Marque’s 48-0 beat-down, the Cougars had taught Columbia a valuable lesson for future reference — don’t mess with the paw.

“Here at La Marque, we may not have as much money or enrollment as we used to, but we still have our pride, tradition and this stadium,” La Marque head coach Mike Jackson said, before downplaying the gesture’s role in the final score. “We were focused on executing our game plan, but I think our kids saw it as a sign of disrespect.”

In their final high school football game at Etheredge Stadium, the La Marque seniors went out with a bang, securing a share of the school’s first district championship since 2006, the last time the Cougars won a state title.

But at halftime, La Marque (8-1 overall, 4-0 district) didn’t seem interested in a dominating performance. Stuck in a defensive battle loaded with offensive miscues, the Cougars were in a scoreless tie with Columbia (7-3, 3-1).

“That’s been a struggle for us all year,” Jackson said. “We get in these dogfights before we get rolling, but we just told them to keep chopping wood and they’ll get tired and make mental errors.”

The plan worked perfectly from the opening kickoff to start the second half.

Columbia muffed the kickoff, and La Marque quickly turned it into a score when senior quarterback Demun Mercer punched in a 4-yard touchdown run.

On the next series, La Marque blocked a punt, and senior defensive end Lawrence Montegut picked it up and ran it in to give the Cougars a two-score lead. Less than three minutes of game-clock later, Montegut struck gold again, this time picking up a quarterback fumble and running it 63 yards for the touchdown.

Suddenly up 21-0, the Cougar offense settled down and scored on a 15-yard pass from Mercer to Demetrius James.

But La Marque was not complacent with a 28-0 lead.

Sophomore running back Ladarrian Ellis-Jones scored on a 2-yard run before the defense scored its fourth touchdown of the night on an interception by Reggie Franklin, who returned it 101 yards for the score. On the very next drive, Chason Douglas intercepted his second pass of the game, a forced turnover that was capped off by a 2-yard touchdown run by Thomas Ward.

Ellis-Jones led the La Marque offense with 108 rushing yards on 16 carries, and Mercer had 86 yards on 17 carries.

The Cougars handed the Columbia Roughnecks — the two-time reigning District 24-3A champions — their most lopsided loss in more than a decade. La Marque registered its fourth straight shutout by holding Columbia to less than 200 total yards of offense.

La Marque can secure the district title outright by beating Stafford next week in the regular-season finale.

“If we turn around and lose to Stafford, then we have to share the district championship,” Jackson said. “And I don’t think our kids are interested in that.”
---------------

Angleton did this in 2007. Final La Marque 32, Angleton 14

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Db7IdYjm9d8

Nice picture you painted there...

For the record, The Roughnecks walked the field at 5:30, in street clothes after getting off the bus.

regaleagle
11-03-2012, 07:44 AM
I think the results of this game show that LM is a very good team.....against a team that runs alot. I'm still not sure how LM would fare against a team like Carthage that can throw it and run it. Or a spread team. It's obvious their D carries the day. Once they had a good lead, and WC was forced to go to the air, naturally the LM defense was ready for the pass. I'm not sure how many points were scored off of turnovers for LM, but I think it was 3 TD's, if not more. That's a credit to the LM defense, which we all knew was one of the best in 3A. And I think they actually wore WC down with their size. This is a good team, no question. Are they good enough to win it all? We shall see in the coming weeks.

Manso/V8
11-03-2012, 07:59 AM
In the wiid, cougars play with their prey before devouring them, sounds like what happened last night.

1971Coogs
11-03-2012, 11:42 AM

La Marque wins big.Can I get you to pick our scores for the rest of the season ?

1971Coogs
11-03-2012, 12:10 PM
I think the results of this game show that LM is a very good team.....against a team that runs alot. I'm still not sure how LM would fare against a team like Carthage that can throw it and run it. Or a spread team. It's obvious their D carries the day. Once they had a good lead, and WC was forced to go to the air, naturally the LM defense was ready for the pass. I'm not sure how many points were scored off of turnovers for LM, but I think it was 3 TD's, if not more. That's a credit to the LM defense, which we all knew was one of the best in 3A. And I think they actually wore WC down with their size. This is a good team, no question. Are they good enough to win it all? We shall see in the coming weeks.good post

Spanish Camp
11-03-2012, 01:17 PM
Can I get you to pick our scores for the rest of the season ?

Unfortunately, I am too familiar with LM in the playoffs. I know that the Coogs don't get cranked up until they put the Turkey in the oven.

Hopefully, LM can keep the wheels on the bus and finish. I am pulling for the Coogs.

hollywood
11-03-2012, 01:22 PM
Unfortunately, I am too familiar with LM in the playoffs. I know that the Coogs don't get cranked up until they put the Turkey in the oven.

Hopefully, LM can keep the wheels on the bus and finish. I am pulling for the Coogs.

Looking forward to a LM vs Nsota match up! Now I'd shell out the $ to watch that war!

bdblm97
11-03-2012, 06:13 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Db7IdYjm9d8&feature=youtube_gdata_player The last time a team disrespected the paw, this was the outcome. Thanks to cougartino for the reminder.