PDA

View Full Version : Monahans (4-4...2-1) @ Sweetwater (4-4...2-1)

ccmom
10-29-2012, 12:38 PM
Another interesting game in 4-3A.

WTF-82
10-29-2012, 10:24 PM
Another interesting game in 4-3A.

Is the Bowl ready for Lobo Nation...

M-town lobo fan
10-30-2012, 08:19 AM
Loboes are a way better team than their record indicates..Monahans by 2 td's

Red&White_9x5
10-30-2012, 10:29 AM
I agree that the Stangs have a big task on their hands this week, but we are really starting to come together and we are playing good football right now. I hope we can get this one, but either way I bet we give Monahans a tough ballgame for four quarters. I will take the Stangs to pull the upset.
Stangs- 22
Lobos- 20

Bullaholic
10-30-2012, 10:33 AM
I have said all season that I see good things happening in Sweetwater from the coaching on down, and they strike me as a team on a mission. Monahans will be the toughest test yet, but I don't think this Mustang team will go down very easy, if they do. I like the Monahans program, also. Great respect in Bull country for the Loboes.

M-town lobo fan
10-30-2012, 11:53 AM
Upset lol!! They both have the same record 4-4 ..I think it will be close at first due to their past rivalry and The Mustangs will be at home but Monahans pulls away the 2nd half by 2 td's

garciap77
10-30-2012, 12:44 PM
SW by 28!

Halup
10-31-2012, 01:08 PM
I have said all season that I see good things happening in Sweetwater from the coaching on down, and they strike me as a team on a mission. Monahans will be the toughest test yet, but I don't think this Mustang team will go down very easy, if they do. I like the Monahans program, also. Great respect in Bull country for the Loboes.

Ditto with lots of respect for the Bulls from the land of the GoGringos. We're always happy to play you because that means that both of us have gone at least 3 rounds deep in the playoffs. Our 2005 shoot-out in the 3rd round was, bar none, the most exciting high school game I have ever seen. It was a shame that only 1 team could advance (and The Stangs then broke our hearts the following week in the quarterfinals!). Not so, this year. The Stangs are on their way back up, but this week the Loboes clinch their playoff spot with a convincing win.

GetRDoneStangs
10-31-2012, 09:33 PM
This game should bring it back....SW-MH for a playoff spot????I will be on the radio...so no much advise for now.....Go Big Red!!!

vp1983
10-31-2012, 10:45 PM
This game should bring it back....SW-MH for a playoff spot????I will be on the radio...so no much advise for now.....Go Big Red!!!

Under no circumstance does Sweetwater win. We played both in last few weeks. No comparison. Monahans will manhandle Sweetwater!!!!

slingshot
10-31-2012, 11:01 PM
Monahans by 10... maybe more.

WTF-82
11-01-2012, 12:56 PM
I agree that the Stangs have a big task on their hands this week, but we are really starting to come together and we are playing good football right now. I hope we can get this one, but either way I bet we give Monahans a tough ballgame for four quarters. I will take the Stangs to pull the upset.
Stangs- 22
Lobos- 20

I totally agree Sweewater is headed the right direction much improved the kids playing with more confidence caoching is improved the town is excited..
But the problem is the Loboes are playing with lots of confidence right now since district started they beat a very good Greenwood team , Lost by 3 to the number 2 team in the State... Beat up a good Snyder team and played with lots of confidence in this game. Its really going to be tough to beat the Loboes right now Defense is getting better offense improves every week Loboes learned lots from a very very tough non district schedule and it almost playofff time this is when Coach Ownes starts really put it on folks.
I think Sweetwater will compete at home but Loboes pull away and win by 17+++

Lobo Nation will turn Sweetwater green again..... Go Loboes !!

Sweetwater Red
11-01-2012, 01:07 PM
Mustangs need win to make postseason

By Ron Howell

According to the so-called experts, this wasn’t the year Sweetwater was supposed to get back to the playoffs.
Yet that’s exactly what will happen if the Mustangs (4-4, 2-1) defeat Monahans (4-4, 2-1) Friday at Mustang Bowl in the kind of game that will have a playoff-type atmosphere at kickoff.
“The kids are excited,” coach Shane Mobley said on Wednesday. “I think they are going to play with a lot of adrenaline and effort. It should be a good game.”
Sweetwater vs. Monahans has always been an interes-ting matchup between a pair of West Texas schools with a longtime tradition of winning on the gridiron. And for the first time since 1999 — dating back to their 4A days — the teams are district rivals.
Thanks to their respective wins this past week, it’s a huge game that will send the winner to the playoffs while the loser will still have some work to do.
Sweetwater played by far its best game of the year this past Friday in romping to a 42-9 victory at Big Spring (5-3, 0-3) — a resounding victory that likely knocked the Steers out of playoff contention. Monahans beat Snyder, 37-12, after leading by just 20-12 at halftime. The Loboes’ only district loss, 20-17, was to No. 2-ranked Wylie (8-0, 3-0) just one week earlier.
Sweetwater, which had lost 31-13 to Greenwood in its previous outing, came back with a solid all-around effort against Big Spring. The 42 points were a one-game high, and Sweetwater had no turnovers while for-cing two by the Steers.
The Mustangs racked up touchdowns on their first three possessions to take a 21-0 lead before Big Spring rallied, but then answered with three more touchdowns to make it a rout.
Mobley said Monahans is used to being in games like this. “They know how to prepare for an environment like what we’ll have Friday night,” he said. “We’re prea-ching to the kids this is what we need to expect and to not let the hype get to them and get in their heads.
“We easily could be 6-2. We have talked about how good we can be. When you reach this point you can’t be satisfied. You have to keep on working.
“Last week was a big win. I think everyone wants to pick up from where we were last Friday, but Monahans has the same mentality. We’ve got to play four quarters of football.”

http://www.sweetwaterreporter.com/content/mustangs-need-win-make-postseason

Sweetwater Red
11-01-2012, 03:14 PM
Sweetwater vs. Big Spring highlight video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1ofCEAeP5k

Sweetwater Red
11-01-2012, 05:09 PM
Link at bottom also has video clip that includes interviews with our HC and sophomore QB.

It's been an interesting year for the Sweewater Mustangs. A young football team, and a new head coach, but now they find themselves improving at the right time. Not to mention having the chance to make it to the playoffs with a win over Monahans.

"That's what's huge for our kids, that we have that opportunity. A lot of people might have said 'it's going to take some time.' Then you come in and say to the kids 'hey we believe in you. You just got to believe in yourself. So let's work, let's work, and let's work.' And that's what they've been doing," said head coach Shane Mobley.

"It's going to be a huge game, and I know I'm going to have to step it up and play the best. We're going to have to eliminate turnovers, and everybody's going to have to play to the best of their ability," said quarterback...

"Practice has been very intense. They've been showing up, and getting after it. They're learning," said Mobley. "We know Friday night against Monahans it's almost a scenario where won't know anything for sure guaranteed until that last district game against Wylie who's in. There's a great shot between us and Monahans will take that third seat."

Monahans is by no means an easy task for the Mustangs, but they are looking forward to what should be a playoff-like environment for a playoff-like game.

http://bigcountryhomepage.com/fulltext?nxd_id=545132&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

garciap77
11-01-2012, 10:16 PM
I might stop on my way back from Snyder to watch SW beat Monahans!

regaleagle
11-02-2012, 11:53 AM
Loboes losses are all to quality teams they scheduled early. Stangs just don't have the seasoning it will take to defeat this Monahans team, IMO. I look for a tight match in the early going, but the Loboes take control in the 2nd half for a good ol' fashioned butt-whipping on Sweetwater. I could be wrong about this since I haven't seen either team play, but based on the quality of opponents and recent history, I'll be surprised if Sweetwater can hang and actually pull this one out.

Sweetwater Red
11-02-2012, 03:14 PM
Found this in the Odessa American. I guess Monahans doesn't have an online newspaper?

>> MONAHANS LOBOES AT SWEETWATER MUSTANGS

Time, Date, Place: 7:30, tonight, Mustang Bowl.

Records: Monahans 4-4, 2-1; Sweetwater 4-4, 2-1.

Last Week: Monahans 37, Snyder 12; Sweetwater 42, Big Spring 9.

Radio: KPTX-FM 98.3 (Pecos); KXOX-FM 96.7 (Sweetwater).

Internet: 98xfm.com (Pecos); kxox.net (Sweetwater).

Last Season: Monahans 17, Sweetwater 7.

Notes: It’s been a rollercoaster season for Monahans, but the Loboes are in position to clinch a return to the playoffs tonight. With a 37-12 victory over Snyder last Friday, Monahans improved to 2-1 in District 4-3A and are tied with Sweetwater for second place in the district standings. “It’s a huge game for both of us,” Monahans head coach Mickey Owens said. “So we’re going into it like a playoff game. You have to this time of year, because these games are so important. It’s everything for them and us too.” In last week’s win, Zack Navarro threw three touchdown passes and Rogelio Sauceda ran for 115 yards to lead the Loboe offense. Jesse Porras added two rushing touchdowns in the win. Sweetwater was too much for Big Spring to handle last week, torching the Steers in a 42-9 blowout. Kaegan Jeffrey passed for 268 yards and three scores. Ryan Linebaugh rushed for two touchdowns as the Mustangs improved to 2-1 in district. “That’s the first thing you see on film is their explosive offense,” Owens said. “You have to be able to slow them down. They throw the ball very effective and they have a really good defense… Those guys are playing great late in the year. The new system started off slow, but Coach (Shane) Mobley has them hot at the right time.”

Whitson’s call: Monahans 28, Sweetwater 24.

http://www.oaoa.com/oavarsity/article_f3046362-24ad-11e2-8f5e-001a4bcf6878.html

ccmom
11-02-2012, 03:17 PM
Gonna be a beautiful night for some football in the Mustang Bowl! Should be a good one!

Sweetwater Red
11-02-2012, 07:37 PM
Sweetwater 7
Monahans 0

12 yard TD pass - Jeffery to Hoover

9:27 left in 1st quarter

Sweetwater Red
11-02-2012, 08:06 PM
Sweetwater 14
Monahans 0

9 yard TD pass - Jeffery to Hoover

7:07 left in 2nd quarter

regaleagle
11-02-2012, 08:07 PM
Sweetwater is saying "Hi" to Monahans so far.

Sweetwater Red
11-02-2012, 08:15 PM
Sweetwater 14
Monahans 7

4:01 left in 2nd quarter

Sweetwater Red
11-02-2012, 08:22 PM
Sweetwater 21
Monahans 7

16 yard TD run by Linebaugh

3:34 left in 2nd quarter

Sweetwater Red
11-02-2012, 08:25 PM
Sweetwater 21
Monahans 14

3:17 left in 2nd quarter

Sweetwater Red
11-02-2012, 08:33 PM
Sweetwater 28
Monahans 14

9 yard TD pass - Jeffery to Amos

1:26 left in 2nd quarter

Sweetwater Red
11-02-2012, 09:14 PM
Sweetwater 35
Monahans 14

11 yard TD pass - Jeffery to Amos (set up by a 50 yard pass - Jeffery to Norman)

9:31 left in 3rd quarter

regaleagle
11-02-2012, 09:17 PM
Sweetwater is drinking all that sweet water tonite, I guess.

WTF-82
11-02-2012, 09:22 PM
Sweetwater is drinking all that sweet water tonite, I guess.

Yeah Sweetwater putting a little spanking show .... Hard. To believe but it's happening.....

WTF-82
11-02-2012, 09:23 PM
Lobo Defense is lost .....

Sweetwater Red
11-02-2012, 09:41 PM
Sweetwater 35
Monahans 21

9:07 left in 4th quarter

Sweetwater Red
11-02-2012, 09:50 PM
Sweetwater 35
Monahans 27

7:30 left in 4th quarter

Sweetwater Red
11-02-2012, 09:57 PM
Sweetwater 35
Monahans 33

6:40 left in 4th quarter

Sweetwater Red
11-02-2012, 10:04 PM
Sweetwater 35
Monahans 39

4:32 left in 4th quarter

ccmom
11-02-2012, 10:06 PM
What a game!!!

Sweetwater Red
11-02-2012, 10:21 PM
Sweetwater 35
Monahans 39

Final

ccmom
11-02-2012, 10:24 PM
Again I'll say...what a game!

bobcat1
11-02-2012, 10:25 PM
Again I'll say...what a game!Sounds like it. Congrats Lobos Good game Mustangs

regaleagle
11-02-2012, 10:26 PM
Wow!! What a comeback by Monahans. Never say never. I guess the Sweetwater just turned sour, yik!!!

Halup
11-02-2012, 10:35 PM
The Stangs are MUCH MUCH better than advertised. The Loboes were lucky to escape alive and we're aLready looking forward to another exciting game next year. Good luck next week. AW better take you seriously or they will be in for a rude awakening.

WTF-82
11-02-2012, 11:15 PM
Sweetwater 35
Monahans 39

Final

I'm speechless Sweetwater names like Norman,Amos, Carr,Terell are all legendary there & looks like they have more.....
Great Athletes.. Trust in your coaching. As for Monahans glad Coach Owens is on our side great job to keep on fighting.

now to Notre Dame go Fighting Irish beat Pitt.....,

GetRDoneStangs
11-03-2012, 12:12 AM
The depth and number of senior players wound up too much for Sweetwater. The Mustangs have improved very much as this year as played on. It was a great game over all and the kids put it out there and that is great to see.

I must admit, as a sideline reporter this was the hardest post game interview with the head coach in a few years!

Good luck to Monahan's in the playoff's. You are welcome back to Mustang Bowl if you need a "neutral" place to play.

Pendragon13
11-03-2012, 12:31 AM
Wow...so close. The Stangs are definitely on the right track again, looking forward to hosting you guys at Bulldog stadium next week!

slingshot
11-03-2012, 10:18 AM
Wow...so close. The Stangs are definitely on the right track again, looking forward to hosting you guys at Bulldog stadium next week!Ditto. Should be a great game next week...

regaleagle
11-03-2012, 10:26 AM
I guess the Mustangs deserve credit for playing an excellent brand of football this season. There are probably a few plays that could have changed the scoreboard and record of this team this season that would have put them in a much better position for a playoff run. Congrats on the improvement Sweetwater.

vp1983
11-03-2012, 02:53 PM
I guess the Mustangs deserve credit for playing an excellent brand of football this season. There are probably a few plays that could have changed the scoreboard and record of this team this season that would have put them in a much better position for a playoff run. Congrats on the improvement Sweetwater.

Sweetwater has very bright future.