PDA

View Full Version : Jasper's Scrimmage With Crosby

OldSchoolBulldog
08-18-2002, 01:52 AM
Jasper's scrimmage with Crosby on Saturday (8/17/02) seemed to be very productive (at least to me). The offense and defense (both 1st and 2nd teams) looked impressive. There were a lot of great "hits", "runs" and "moves". These guys will be exciting to watch. "I realize that it was just a scrimmage".

The coaches did a good job of getting good looks at a lot of different players at a lot of different positions. I am bias but, the season looks great!! I believe the team can accomplish some extraordinary things.

My only concern (from a legacy fan prospective) is that the new coaching staff seems to have done a very poor job of basic people/relationship development and management (examples):
1. The new coaching staff does not seem to
relate to or to know their players very
well.
2. I witness a level of disrepectful and
inappropriate comments from the coaching
staff that I have NEVER seen before in
a Jasper coaching staff.
3. I have sensed a very unhealty "there's a
new sheriff in town" type of attitude
from some of the new coaching staff.
This could prove to be destructive
4. Some of the new position coaches are
exhibiting a divide and concur approach
in dealing with the players. This may
negatively impact team chemistry.
5. The new staff has not been good at
connecting with the existing fan base.
In fact, they seem of be intimidated by
the high level of fan interest and
parential support for the program.

Really, this is not the appropriate place the vent these concerns. But, I think these types of issues are worth surfacing to create a discussion. BUT let me be clear, I support the coaching staff and I love Jasper. So, this is not an attempt to "player hate". But, it is an attempt to document some first hand observations.

Bulldog92
08-18-2002, 03:46 AM
Those are definitely interesting comments about the new staff. I spent my whole childhood in Jasper and the main thing that was uniform throughout the coaching staffs at every school from elementary school up through high school was the way the coaches treated the kids with respect. Did Coach Lauve hire his own staff or are there any holdovers that have been at Jasper and are from there (Spoon, Hadnot, Pickle, etc.)? It would be a shame to know that any of those guys aren't coaching the team anymore. Thanks for the info from home and keep it coming....

OldSchoolBulldog
08-18-2002, 01:44 PM
Some of the old staff is still there. But, about 1/2 of the staff is new.

Bulldog92
08-18-2002, 01:48 PM
That's good. It sounded like they cleaned house. Anyway, that game @ PNG has me worried a bit just because we never play well there. Are we strong enough to overcome it? Strake Jesuit went 10-0 last year and Newton is always tough, so our schedule isn't a cakewalk by any means. What do you think?

OldSchoolBulldog
08-18-2002, 07:43 PM
The PNG has me concerned also. But it will be chance to see how well our potential weaknessess have been addressed.

We should be able to see much our defense has improved. Also, we should find out which of the receivers will step up to fill the void.

I need to do some research on Strake Jesuit. I will get back with you about how I think they stack up.

Bulldog92
08-18-2002, 09:08 PM
What about in district play? I know that Newton and Diboll are tough and that Huntington is pretty weak, but do Kirbyville and Woodville look any good at all? As funny as this sounds, I was able to follow the season listening to the station over the net that carries the WOS and Bridge City games and they didn't give a whole lot of info on 3A teams...

BigRed01
08-19-2002, 05:43 AM
Kirbyville and Woodville will be lucky to survive Jasper. If they get out with a 40 point shalacking I think they will be lucky.

j_dog
08-19-2002, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by OldSchoolBulldog:
Some of the old staff is still there. But, about 1/2 of the staff is new.

Can you give us names of the holdover staff please? Thanks.

Bulldog92
08-19-2002, 03:32 PM
Hey, j_dog. I haven't heard from you in a while and hope all is well. You pose a great question. I would think that some of the coaches that have been there for 15+ years wouldn't fit the brash coaching style that is apparently present in newest members of the staff. There is one school that we played on a regular basis that treated their kids that way, but it seemed to be overlooked due to the success they have had over the past 15 or 20 years. I'll let you other Jasper fans read between the lines on that one....

OldSchoolBulldog
08-19-2002, 11:00 PM
Some of the holdover coaching staff are:

Weatherspoon - Defensive Line
Buckmaster - Kickers & Punters
Pickle - Middle School

There are about 3 other holdover who's names I don't remember right now.

Other Issues:
Jasper will scrimmage Nederland this weekend.

Nederland has a good returning TE (Jake Askew)and QB (Kirk Dean). This will be a good test for our defense.

As for size, Nederland has a couple of big offense and defensive linemen but they should'nt be a match for our guys. I believe our lineman are bigger, quicker and have more experienced. Most of Nederland's big guys are sophmores and juniors.

Bulldog92
08-19-2002, 11:41 PM
Nederland has a pretty decent team, so hopefully we can go out and play well against them. Are you gonna be there?

OldSchoolBulldog
08-20-2002, 10:33 AM
Yes, I plan to make this game. I will give you some feedback on how they perform.