PDA

View Full Version : Should D1 or D2 senior football recruits play basketball

Just wondering what people think about this? Lets just say Tyler Jones or Brice Gunter for example. Do you play it safe or take a chance and play basketball your senior year? Keep in mind this isnt about them just an example.:helpme: This question is not just what kids think but what recruiters think I really have no idea but curious what people think. We encourage multi sport athletes but what about that last senior year after football is over. is this risky?

Some players like RSJ who will try and play both at a higher level I already know the answer but for kids who just play to play is it smart and is it wise?

lostaussie
10-27-2012, 06:55 AM
They should do what they choose. Its their senior year and they only get one. Let kids be kids.

Rabid Cougar
10-27-2012, 08:39 AM
If your child is being recruited, I don't think recruiters will tell them one way or another, or at least they didn't with my son. We asked that question about other sports including All-Star football games. They pretty much said the same thing, "it's your senior year, enjoy it".

If your child is being recruited, I don't think recruiters will tell them one way or another, or at least they didn't with my son. We asked that question about other sports including All-Star football games. They pretty much said the same thing, "it's your senior year, enjoy it".

I agree unless you are going D1. Then I think you dont take the chance and focus on your football future.

87 TIGER
10-27-2012, 01:44 PM
You only have one highschool career, play every sport that you want to because when it's over it's over. You will be able to talk and brag about those empires the rest of your life. Going d1 or d2 , either way it's a college education, very very few will go pro, so it's not a career. I say let the kids be kids and enjoy it, and most colleges will honor the scholarship even with an injury.

Bassact
10-27-2012, 01:48 PM
everything we've been told is "enjoy your senior year" do what you do and have fun. Once it's over you never get it back. For any kid going on the play college sports (at any level) they will more than likely only be competing in 1 sport. So their senior year is the last time they will ever get to complete in the rest of their sports.
As i'm sure most everyone on this board played/competed in HS school sports and never had the opporitunity to play another down, inning, etc.. Bet you would all like to have 1 more.. so why ask the kids to give up their last chance?
If the school recruiting them is concerned with this - and the kid has another choice maybe they should look at another school.. They are only concerned with themselves, not the kid. Not a good way to start your college career. Just my 2 cnets..

everything we've been told is "enjoy your senior year" do what you do and have fun. Once it's over you never get it back. For any kid going on the play college sports (at any level) they will more than likely only be competing in 1 sport. So their senior year is the last time they will ever get to complete in the rest of their sports.
As i'm sure most everyone on this board played/competed in HS school sports and never had the opporitunity to play another down, inning, etc.. Bet you would all like to have 1 more.. so why ask the kids to give up their last chance?
If the school recruiting them is concerned with this - and the kid has another choice maybe they should look at another school.. They are only concerned with themselves, not the kid. Not a good way to start your college career. Just my 2 cnets..

That is a good way to look at it.

raider red 2000
10-27-2012, 05:38 PM
Kids should play. Mostly for reasons y'all have stated.

Rabid Cougar
10-27-2012, 05:56 PM
I agree unless you are going D1. Then I think you dont take the chance and focus on your football future.

He is D1. You have much more of a chance of getting hurt during the football season after you commit. Plenty of examples of that happening, including my son.
Are you NOT going to play football?

regaleagle
10-27-2012, 07:11 PM
I don't think Tyler Jones and Brice Gunter should play basketball for Stephenville this season. I don't think Tyler Jones and Brice Gunter should play baseball or run track for Stephenville this year either. Just tell them to take it easy and kick back, would ya? Tell em they've done enuff. Then Argyle might have a better chance at least in those other sports, LOL.

I don't think Tyler Jones and Brice Gunter should play basketball for Stephenville this season. I don't think Tyler Jones and Brice Gunter should play baseball or run track for Stephenville this year either. Just tell them to take it easy and kick back, would ya? Tell em they've done enuff. Then Argyle might have a better chance at least in those other sports, LOL.

They were just examples. I'm not sure if they want to play or not. I know coach G encourages multi sport I just wanted to find out everyone opinion on what people thought in general about the senior year. If you we're recruited. My guess is Gunter plays Jones don't if I was guessing. They are both great athletes and I hope they do what's best for them.