PDA

View Full Version : La Grange ends 10 year drought beating Giddings in 31-0 shutout.

Pudlugger
10-26-2012, 11:01 PM
The Buffs had no answer for the Lep offense while the Lep defense totally shut down the Giddings running game. Only one turnover a fumbled kick off in the second half by Giddings and very few penalties in a clean game. The Leps executed a near perfect game and dominated from the start. It is obvious to me that this is an exceptional team that has been under rated all year. Next week we host Yoakum. Go Leps!

HEMOTOXIC
10-26-2012, 11:11 PM
Way to go Leps! :clap:

YTBulldogs
10-26-2012, 11:19 PM
Congrats. Margin was about what I thought (50-21), but--thought Giddings could of mustard a score at least. Well done, and best of luck rest of the way. Glad we have ya'll on the road. We stink at home (1-3) and undefeated on the road (4-0). Hard to figure.

Pudlugger
10-26-2012, 11:28 PM
Congrats. Margin was about what I thought (50-21), but--thought Giddings could of mustard a score at least. Well done, and best of luck rest of the way. Glad we have ya'll on the road. We stink at home (1-3) and undefeated on the road (4-0). Hard to figure.

Thanks YT it was a real catharsis for Lep fans to not only get the win but get the shut out. We held on a 1 yard line goal line stand at 1st and goal in the last minute to preserve the shut out. We are going to settle down and focus on next week as we know the Bulldogs have a very talented football team. I am shocked regarding the fan turnout. Yoakum fans have always impressed me as really rabid (if you will) Bulldog backers. Go ahead and post the line and poll for next week YT.

Saggy Aggie
10-27-2012, 12:02 AM
Damn! Leps have my attention now

Pudlugger
10-27-2012, 12:56 AM
Damn! Leps have my attention now

I've been saying all along this is an extraordinary team. Watch out the Leps are loose.

Pudlugger
10-27-2012, 08:34 AM
I'm curious as to the stats for this game. I would guess Fillmore had close to 200 yards rushing and Hutchison close to 100. Vinklarek ran effectively out of the pocket and on qb draws which kept the defense on their heels. Coach Kates and his crew deserve a tremendous amount of praise in how prepared they had the team for this big game. The game plan was solid and the execution almost flawless. Hats off to the special teams for the great kicking game(hitting the crossbar happens!) and especially in the coverage on punts and kickoffs. On kick offs Cerda put the ball into the endzone several times for touch backs. Very impressed with special teams coaching. These guys really stepped up and will make a huge contribution going forward. Did I mention our defense? What a demonstration of determination and grit. They must have held Giddings to less than 200 yards total offense and Glen to about 60 yards rushing. The linebacker blitzes gave Dock headaches all night and the pass coverage and pass rush were excellent. Giddings has a huge O line and the front four did a marvelous job putting pressure on the qb and containing the rush.

hookandladder
10-27-2012, 08:56 AM
I'm curious as to the stats for this game. I would guess Fillmore had close to 200 yards rushing and Hutchison close to 100. Vinklarek ran effectively out of the pocket and on qb draws which kept the defense on their heels. Coach Kates and his crew deserve a tremendous amount of praise in how prepared they had the team for this big game. The game plan was solid and the execution almost flawless. Hats off to the special teams for the great kicking game(hitting the crossbar happens!) and especially in the coverage on punts and kickoffs. On kick offs Cerda put the ball into the endzone several times for touch backs. Very impressed with special teams coaching. These guys really stepped up and will make a huge contribution going forward. Did I mention our defense? What a demonstration of determination and grit. They must have held Giddings to less than 200 yards total offense and Glen to about 60 yards rushing. The linebacker blitzes gave Dock headaches all night and the pass coverage and pass rush were excellent. Giddings has a huge O line and the front four did a marvelous job putting pressure on the qb and containing the rush.

I have no stats either but I think you are giving their offense more yards then they came close to, their last and only drive of the night in the 4th quarter may have double their total yardage for the night and it was about a 70 yard drive that end the game on the 3 yardline to preserve the shutout. As you stated great game planning by coaches and the players executed in all phases of the game, this is the total package for the Leps when the offense steps up like last night. I have been waiting for our offense to step up and play the way they are capable for the last two weeks, what a great game to put it all together. Guess Bufffever and 1st and Goal not ready to come out of hiding, that was 10 years of frustration taken out on the 10th ranked team in State. Gongrats Leps .

Pudlugger
10-27-2012, 09:43 AM
You're probably right on the Buffs total yardage being around 150. They made very few first downs. The last drive in the last 2 minutes down to the 1 would account for most of their offense. To end the game with our goal line stand was the cherry on the cake imo.

Pudlugger
10-27-2012, 07:13 PM
Were is buff4ever? Maybe he has checked into a high school football 12 step program or has become dazed and confused and wondered off somewhere. Let's all keep on the lookout for him.:D

Bull's-eye
10-27-2012, 07:17 PM
Pudlugger, how is the district race shaping up? Who will go big?

Scoop27
10-27-2012, 07:50 PM
I read the Wednesday edition of the Fayette Country record today and they had a big story about the pre-game of of how the Leopards haven't won. Guess that story pumped them up

Pudlugger
10-27-2012, 09:38 PM
Pudlugger, how is the district race shaping up? Who will go big?

La Grange 3-0 Plays Yoakum next then @ Cuero
Gonzales 2-1 plays Cuero then @ Smithville
Yoakum 2-1 @ La Grange then Giddings
Giddings 1-2 Smithville then @ Yoakum
Cuero 1-2 @ Gonzales then La Grange
Smithville 0-3 @ Giddings then Gonzales

It would look like Gonzales goes D1 LG D2 and Giddings/Yoakum/Cuero will know more next week.

Pudlugger
10-28-2012, 07:34 PM
Hey yall today when going into HEB I saw buff4ever on a milk carton! Let's keep a sharp eye out for him.

hookandladder
10-28-2012, 07:59 PM
Hey yall today when going into HEB I saw buff4ever on a milk carton! Let's keep a sharp eye out for him.

I would still like to see stats on our game with them, I was told Giddings had negative total yards before their last drive of the game. Guess we will find out tomorrow in our local paper, my bet is with their last drive Giddings had less then a 100 total yards with over 60 coming on their last drive.

Buff42
10-28-2012, 09:47 PM
Man, there's nothing to say. LG kicked our ass, plain and simple. Vinklarek is the real deal. Losing all of our big guys (our O line is far from huge as another poster said, but they are very scrappy and play their butts off) hurts, but not nearly as much as our touchy-freely coaching. I know that's going to make some folks here mad, but I'm just calling it like I see it. Congrats Leps, good job.

hookandladder
10-29-2012, 06:27 AM
Man, there's nothing to say. LG kicked our ass, plain and simple. Vinklarek is the real deal. Losing all of our big guys (our O line is far from huge as another poster said, but they are very scrappy and play their butts off) hurts, but not nearly as much as our touchy-freely coaching. I know that's going to make some folks here mad, but I'm just calling it like I see it. Congrats Leps, good job.

This is such a great game each year, just goes to show it does not matter where this game is played. I still have much respect for the players ,coaches and fans from Giddings, our team is so focus right now that this was just another win on to hopefully much bigger goals. Our coaches, players and most all fans are on the same page, great game planning by our Coaches. This was the last one for me as for as a son playing, great way to end this Rivalry.

Pudlugger
10-29-2012, 07:22 AM
This is such a great game each year, just goes to show it does not matter where this game is played. I still have much respect for the players ,coaches and fans from Giddings, our team is so focus right now that this was just another win on to hopefully much bigger goals. Our coaches, players and most all fans are on the same page, great game planning by our Coaches. This was the last one for me as for as a son playing, great way to end this Rivalry.

Hook it may be the last LG/Giddings game with a son playing but if you're like me you'll still be an avid LG backer for years to come. The last time we beat Giddings my son was a junior and the starting right tackle on Coach Valastro's Veer offense in 2002. Remember those smash mouth days when everyone on the defense knew it was coming right at them but couldn't stop the run? Well we have another form of that now with our running game mixed with a tactical passing attack. Well it has been a long decade to wait for what happened last Friday night but this 2012 Lep team and Coaches got the job done and then some. No one expected a blow out and shut out but they delivered including an exciting momentum extending goal line stand in the last seconds to propel us on into the next battle ahead with Yoakum.

hookandladder
10-29-2012, 08:20 AM
Hook it may be the last LG/Giddings game with a son playing but if you're like me you'll still be an avid LG backer for years to come. The last time we beat Giddings my son was a junior and the starting right tackle on Coach Valastro's Veer offense in 2002. Remember those smash mouth days when everyone on the defense knew it was coming right at them but couldn't stop the run? Well we have another form of that now with our running game mixed with a tactical passing attack. Well it has been a long decade to wait for what happened last Friday night but this 2012 Lep team and Coaches got the job done and then some. No one expected a blow out and shut out but they delivered including an exciting momentum extending goal line stand in the last seconds to propel us on into the next battle ahead with Yoakum.

I hear what your saying however it will be a little less stress sitting in the stands next year, I will still enjoy watching the Leps play for years to come. It will just be a little different, with 7 Juniors on offense and 6 on defense starting Coach K has great thing going on here in LG. Also one stud Sophomore who will be getting a lot on attention from D-1 schools, Overall very young team.

buff4ever
10-29-2012, 09:02 AM
Hey, been hunting, I am fine, and life will go on. Heck yall survived 9 or 10 years of losing this game, I can handle one. Our offense didn't show up, what can I say. Your defense is very good and has a lot to do with that, but we had something to do with it as well. You say our defense didn't know what to do to stop your offense, and I saw that far less than you did. We have had trouble stopping the run all year, and for this game to have been 17 - 0 in the fourth; I would say our defense did there part for the large majority of the game. You have to remember our offense didn't allow our defense to rest at all with only 2 first downs in the first half. Then you have to consider the fourth quarter brain fart when our kick returner forgot he was in on kick off return and not punt return, and you got the ball on our 30 as he watched it bounce in front of him them back off as if to not let it touch him (just like a punt), that kinda explained the offense just wasn't clicking at all on this night. If my memory after a weekend of hunting a beverage is right, that was after you guys went up 17 - 0 which was still late in the 3rd.

The defense with any help from the offense could have kept this game manageable. They did what they do, they bent a lot with giving up 3 to 6 yard plays, but then making a few plays to kill a drive. Giving up 10 by half with 2 first downs from the offense was manageable. Giving up 7 in the 3rd was still okay, what happened in the fourth was well, what did you want them to do with the meltdown that had already occurred.

Once again, LG's defense is seemingly the best we have played all year. That is kinda hard to completely sell, when I don't 100% credit them with our meltdown on offense. Our QB was off his mark when receivers were open, which hasn't happened much this year. Things just weren't quite right for the offense the other night, partly to the defense. These nights happen, it is just hard to accept when they do, especially in big games. I would expect our offense will bounce back in big fashion this week against smithville.

Good luck leps, I don't see you losing to Yoakum or Cuero.

Pudlugger
10-29-2012, 09:10 AM
Yes buff4ever good to have you back. The Buff defense was pretty good up until the last quarter of play and they began to weaken. Probably the ball control game plan was kicking in with the defense tiring like they did allowing 14 points in the 4th. The game was a watershed victory for us and we hope to ride the momentum all the way into the playoffs. I don't expect Giddings will lose any more in district but you have to get up for Smithville and Yoakum they will be gunning for yall. Good luck.

hookandladder
10-29-2012, 09:35 AM
Hey, been hunting, I am fine, and life will go on. Heck yall survived 9 or 10 years of losing this game, I can handle one. Our offense didn't show up, what can I say. Your defense is very good and has a lot to do with that, but we had something to do with it as well. You say our defense didn't know what to do to stop your offense, and I saw that far less than you did. We have had trouble stopping the run all year, and for this game to have been 17 - 0 in the fourth; I would say our defense did there part for the large majority of the game. You have to remember our offense didn't allow our defense to rest at all with only 2 first downs in the first half. Then you have to consider the fourth quarter brain fart when our kick returner forgot he was in on kick off return and not punt return, and you got the ball on our 30 as he watched it bounce in front of him them back off as if to not let it touch him (just like a punt), that kinda explained the offense just wasn't clicking at all on this night. If my memory after a weekend of hunting a beverage is right, that was after you guys went up 17 - 0 which was still late in the 3rd.

The defense with any help from the offense could have kept this game manageable. They did what they do, they bent a lot with giving up 3 to 6 yard plays, but then making a few plays to kill a drive. Giving up 10 by half with 2 first downs from the offense was manageable. Giving up 7 in the 3rd was still okay, what happened in the fourth was well, what did you want them to do with the meltdown that had already occurred.

Once again, LG's defense is seemingly the best we have played all year. That is kinda hard to completely sell, when I don't 100% credit them with our meltdown on offense. Our QB was off his mark when receivers were open, which hasn't happened much this year. Things just weren't quite right for the offense the other night, partly to the defense. These nights happen, it is just hard to accept when they do, especially in big games. I would expect our offense will bounce back in big fashion this week against smithville.

Good luck leps, I don't see you losing to Yoakum or Cuero.

You guys basically had 7 to 8 men in the box on defense and we still move the ball very well running, this game should have been 21-0 in the first half. I will give your D a grade of E for effort in the 1st and 3rd quarter only because our goal was to just make the clock run while we were going into the wind, when we had the wind at our backs we dominated your D with whatever we wanted to do. Our D played light's out all 4 quaters, pretty impressive that your offense ran 6 plays in the 3rd quater when you had the wind at your back. Ball control is what it is all about, less then a 100 yards on offense with over half coming on the last drive with the game already over. I think our D does derserve 100% credit but beleive what you want, it will not be any easier next year with LG returning 16 starters so you might have to endure a couple years.

Buff42
10-29-2012, 10:04 AM
Wow. One win in 10 years and the gloating is unbearable. Guys, y'all have a very good team. We had a bad night- our worst night all season. Don't make more of it than what is there, okay? Kind of just confirms some of my thoughts about LG in general. :tisk:

hookandladder
10-29-2012, 10:26 AM
Wow. One win in 10 years and the gloating is unbearable. Guys, y'all have a very good team. We had a bad night- our worst night all season. Don't make more of it than what is there, okay? Kind of just confirms some of my thoughts about LG in general. :tisk:

With what we have had to listen to from Buff you know we have to throw a jab or two at him, your response would have been exactly what I would have said had we lost that bad. No if and butts, no excuses. A good win for the fans however I can definitely say it was just another win for the players, no big deal. La Grange has many rivalry's in our area , just be nice to beat them all this year. Giddings will bounce back but they do have two solid teams to beat, Yoakum will be solid but Smithville could very well fold and be looking towards BBall.

hookandladder
10-29-2012, 01:16 PM
I have no stats either but I think you are giving their offense more yards then they came close to, their last and only drive of the night in the 4th quarter may have double their total yardage for the night and it was about a 70 yard drive that end the game on the 3 yardline to preserve the shutout. As you stated great game planning by coaches and the players executed in all phases of the game, this is the total package for the Leps when the offense steps up like last night. I have been waiting for our offense to step up and play the way they are capable for the last two weeks, what a great game to put it all together. Guess Bufffever and 1st and Goal not ready to come out of hiding, that was 10 years of frustration taken out on the 10th ranked team in State. Gongrats Leps .

Stats from our local paper today.

La Grange - Rushing- 231 Passing- 140

Giddings- Total yardage- 81

Giddings had 10 total yards before their last drive of the game , quoted from the Local Paper.

Buff42
10-29-2012, 05:57 PM
Stats from our local paper today.

La Grange - Rushing- 231 Passing- 140

Giddings- Total yardage- 81

Giddings had 10 total yards before their last drive of the game , quoted from the Local Paper.

Because we all know how accurate local stats are.......:crazy1:

Pudlugger
10-29-2012, 07:53 PM
Well we have chewed on this enough. For me at least, I am more interested in kicking butt this Friday against a Yoakum team hell bent on spoiling our season. Go Leps beat the Bulldogs!:flaming:

Buff42
10-29-2012, 08:07 PM
I agree. 9-1 over the last 10 years. I'm looking forward to basketball this year, heard we're going to be awesome.

Pudlugger
10-29-2012, 08:29 PM
I agree. 9-1 over the last 10 years. I'm looking forward to basketball this year, heard we're going to be awesome.

Be that as it may, I still feel the Buffs have some game left in them.

Buff42
10-29-2012, 08:34 PM
Dammit. I hate when you're nice Pud. Quit being so smug!

Pudlugger
10-29-2012, 08:38 PM
I'm seeing a Bellville v Giddings matchup looming in the future.

hookandladder
10-30-2012, 06:14 AM
Because we all know how accurate local stats are.......:crazy1:

With most everyone having access to Hudl these days, it is hard to give bad stats. I know of a Ex. Coach not to far down the road who used to fudge his stats, if you know what I mean. From looking at Hudl I did have Giddings closer to 90 yards but sometimes hard to count the negative yards, Giddings season will be on the line in the last game most likely. Where is that game at, home or away for Giddings.

Buff42
10-30-2012, 08:57 AM
With most everyone having access to Hudl these days, it is hard to give bad stats. I know of a Ex. Coach not to far down the road who used to fudge his stats, if you know what I mean. From looking at Hudl I did have Giddings closer to 90 yards but sometimes hard to count the negative yards, Giddings season will be on the line in the last game most likely. Where is that game at, home or away for Giddings.

I know exactly what you mean about stats. A certain favorite QB of mine scored more on paper than he did on the field several times, but who's counting right?

Giddings has Smithville here this week, then travel to Yoakum. IMO, a 2 loss team in this district won't make the playoffs.

Can somebody post the district standings? Or point me to them if they are already on this site somewhere and I missed them. Thanks.

Pudlugger
10-30-2012, 09:29 AM
LG 3-0
GZ 2-1
Yoakum 2-1
Giddings 1-2
Cuero 1-2
SV 0-3

buff4ever
10-30-2012, 10:09 AM
LG 3-0
GZ 2-1
Yoakum 2-1
Giddings 1-2
Cuero 1-2
SV 0-3

My guess is this

LG wins out 5- 0
Gonzales wins out 4- 1
Giddings Beats Smithville and Yoakum 3- 2
Yoakum loses out 2- 3
Cuero loses out 1-4
Smithville loses out 0- 5

Obviously the game of the district remaining is the Giddings and Yoakum game in Yoakum. That game will be for a spot.

Pudlugger
10-30-2012, 12:11 PM
Hope you're right Buff. That's how I see it playing out but much can happen in these next two weeeks. Good luck going forward.

Buff42
10-30-2012, 01:23 PM
My guess is this

LG wins out 5- 0
Gonzales wins out 4- 1
Giddings Beats Smithville and Yoakum 3- 2
Yoakum loses out 2- 3
Cuero loses out 1-4
Smithville loses out 0- 5

Obviously the game of the district remaining is the Giddings and Yoakum game in Yoakum. That game will be for a spot.

We better find a defense then........