PDA

View Full Version : Split Divisions

Matthew328
10-26-2012, 02:54 PM
Dont think we've had a poll yet but whats the thought of the message board? Should 3A (soon to be 4A) go to split divisions?? Advantage is enrollments in the districts will be more in line, but the big disadvantage is the increased travel, just look at some of the 2A districts!!

What say you?

Bullaholic
10-26-2012, 03:05 PM
Dont think we've had a poll yet but whats the thought of the message board? Should 3A (soon to be 4A) go to split divisions?? Advantage is enrollments in the districts will be more in line, but the big disadvantage is the increased travel, just look at some of the 2A districts!!

What say you?

Split divisions in 3A makes sense to me, Matt. Teams would be more competitive, and it would be a natural progression to what is occuring anyway---more classifications due to the sheer no. of schools in Texas. Do it now and quit kidding ourselves with pseudo-classifications. Travel is a consideration, but is offset by the other advantages.

toddg
10-26-2012, 03:05 PM

What say you?

dont mind travel...that could result in a really cool district..Alvarado, Stephenville, Springtown, Kennedale, MW..and maybe Brownwood...

cowboyandchrist
10-26-2012, 03:16 PM
Split divisions in 3A makes sense to me, Matt. Teams would be more competitive, and it would be a natural progression to what is occuring anyway---more classifications due to the sheer no. of schools in Texas. Do it now and quit kidding ourselves with pseudo-classifications. Travel is a consideration, but is offset by the other advantages.

It makes no difference what we think, more teams, more money for the UIL. Can you say ching ching. It wont be long untill every team in Texas that plays football gets a state championship trophy. District championships use to mean a lot, noe all the matters is make the playoffs. Take a team with only 2 wins and gets beat 85 to 0 in the first playoff game, but heck thats ok according to the UIL it builds character in little Johnny. Can't you here little Johnny when someone ask. How did your team do in the playoffs. We did real good. The Ville only had us down 120 to 0 at the half.

LHPfactory
10-26-2012, 03:23 PM
dont mind travel...that could result in a really cool district..Alvarado, Stephenville, Springtown, Kennedale, MW..and maybe Brownwood...

Actually like it alot in the long run with the way LH is growing. We are building a Highschool that will hold up to 1600 kids. Our current enorllment is 800 and it will take a while to hit the 1600, so LH would likely be 4A-DI for many years. I think You would see Brownwood, LH, Burnet, Lampasas, Marble Falls, (This would be one tough district) with maybe Fredricksburg and Canyon Lake thrown in.

toddg
10-26-2012, 03:27 PM
Actually like it alot in the long run with the way LH is growing. We are building a Highschool that will hold up to 1600 kids. Our current enorllment is 800 and it will take a while to hit the 1600, so LH would likely be 4A-DI for many years. I think You would see Brownwood, LH, Burnet, Lampasas, Marble Falls, (This would be one tough district) with maybe Fredricksburg and Canyon Lake thrown in.

Dodge should have the program really cookin by next alignment...

LHPfactory
10-26-2012, 03:31 PM
Dodge should have the program really cookin by next alignment...

I agree, and from what the other 4 schools have coming up, anyone making out of that district would be ready come play off time.

regaleagle
10-26-2012, 03:33 PM
I'm not a supporter of split divisions for the smaller classifications.....it seems to be overkill to me. I can certainly see the need from the 4A and 5A levels to have more parity among schools in district and playoff races, but I still think for 3A down it borders on the ridiculous. The diffences in enrollment just doesn't give that much of an advantage at this level, excepting only a few programs. Overall, those programs can still be beaten by many of the smaller schools that also have good programs.

Matthew328
10-26-2012, 06:50 PM
I'm not a supporter of split divisions for the smaller classifications.....it seems to be overkill to me. I can certainly see the need from the 4A and 5A levels to have more parity among schools in district and playoff races, but I still think for 3A down it borders on the ridiculous. The diffences in enrollment just doesn't give that much of an advantage at this level, excepting only a few programs. Overall, those programs can still be beaten by many of the smaller schools that also have good programs.

I think it means more at the smaller level actually, the difference between a school of 1000 and 500 is really big.

Matthew328
10-26-2012, 06:52 PM
It makes no difference what we think, more teams, more money for the UIL. Can you say ching ching. It wont be long untill every team in Texas that plays football gets a state championship trophy. District championships use to mean a lot, noe all the matters is make the playoffs. Take a team with only 2 wins and gets beat 85 to 0 in the first playoff game, but heck thats ok according to the UIL it builds character in little Johnny. Can't you here little Johnny when someone ask. How did your team do in the playoffs. We did real good. The Ville only had us down 120 to 0 at the half.

Split divisions doesnt mean more teams, that's four making the playoffs but another great topic

buckeyebob
10-27-2012, 09:46 AM

Size does matter in football...look at the who's who this year...dominated by 4A's...Gilmer will contnue to vote for the split which makes us the smallest Div I or the largest DII...there is a lot of defference in football in a school who has 1,000 vs 400 to work with.

Football fan
10-27-2012, 09:56 AM
The former 4A's that you claim are dominating were extremely strong teams in 4A when they were the smallest schools is that classification.

Maybe it is just the fact that they have strong programs.

87 TIGER
10-27-2012, 01:26 PM
Yes in favor of the split. Teams, most not all but I'm sure the majority are at a disadvantage when playing a school with double and sometimes more than double the enrollment. IMO the split will make the season and playoffs more competitive with more evenly matched teams.

raider red 2000
10-27-2012, 05:07 PM
I think it sucks for other sports to have different districts than football. The schools in volleyball district were in 6 different football districts. That means Saturday volleyball and a many sun varsity games that were not played. Travel sucked for us, but I am sure in some places it isn't a big deal.

If the numbers make a big deal for football, then do it for all sports.

regaleagle
10-27-2012, 08:37 PM
I say keep it simple stupid to the UIL. High school sports is for the schools, their local fanbases, and the athletes. Requiring more travel for events puts an undue strain on all of these mentioned. That doesn't even take into account the added expenses required. It's tough enough for parents and fans to get to the games on time now. Stupidity is a growing virus over common sense in our society. Let's incorporate it into every fabric of our lives!!! Hogwash. Keep it simple, stupid.