PDA

View Full Version : Some of this year's bucks

MUSTANG69
10-25-2012, 08:30 PM
This is some of the bucks on the ranch that I hunt on. The ranch is in Duval County about 9 miles north of Benavides.

Old Green
10-25-2012, 09:57 PM
This is some of the bucks on the ranch that I hunt on. The ranch is in Duval County about 9 miles north of Benavides.Very nice bucks. Do you feed protein year round?

MUSTANG69
10-26-2012, 10:06 AM
Very nice bucks. Do you feed protein year round?

We feed protein March thru Sept. We use Record Rack 16%. We also had timely rains this year so the brush stayed in good shape. The deer prefer the native brush so our protein bill was a lot less.

Old Timer
10-26-2012, 11:09 AM
Nice pics! I've been feeding year-round protein at my lease for 4-5 years now and the results are really astounding! We've been culling the 8-points over this time and now we're seeing a pretty consistent batch of 10-pointers year to year. The growth is amazing when protein becomes the staple of their diet.

Thanks for sharing the pictures. I'll try to get some of mine up....

MUSTANG69
10-26-2012, 11:34 AM
Nice pics! I've been feeding year-round protein at my lease for 4-5 years now and the results are really astounding! We've been culling the 8-points over this time and now we're seeing a pretty consistent batch of 10-pointers year to year. The growth is amazing when protein becomes the staple of their diet.

Thanks for sharing the pictures. I'll try to get some of mine up....

We cull a bunch of 8-points each year. There is always 1 great 8-pointer though that we let get older. There have been several 140 class 8-points killed. The majority of our mature bucks are 10-points and up. We even had a double drop tine buck. He died from lead poison 2 years ago. I have had a lot of fun learning game management and I have been able to video some really good bucks. The biggest buck killed on this ranch scored 183 and the second largest scored 181. There have been quite a few 160 and 170 class taken also. I found the skeleton of a buck that scored 209. We knew he was out there and it was very disappointing to find him dead. Looking forward to your pics.