PDA

View Full Version : Best 3A Stadiums & why

Spanish Camp
10-25-2012, 08:29 PM
I am interested in the facilities around the state at the 3A classification.

El Campo has a great stadium, the best field turf available, and a jumbo tron with replay capabilities (although they are still getting the hang of this). However, the press boxes are from the dark ages and an OSHA nightmare--so they lose points there.

Where are some of the best stadiums and why?

Sville
10-25-2012, 08:53 PM
In my area Mineral Wells has a very nice stadium. It is less than 5 years old with no track. They kept that close to the filed feel that old Miller Stadium had but with modern amenities.

Glen Rose has very nice all-round facilities. Prolly the best in our area IMO. Their basketball arena is amazing.

scrub c
10-25-2012, 09:57 PM
1. Huffman Hargrave,
2. Navasota,
3. El Campo
4. Sinton

rb585
10-25-2012, 10:17 PM
Hondo = no track

Gonzales = no track

You can't have a great FOOTBALL stadium if there's a track around the field.

toddg
10-25-2012, 10:41 PM
I really like Tiger Stadium in Glen Rose..with the awesome backdrop of the coolest of cool basketball arenas behind the north endzone..greatness!!

Bug Truck
10-25-2012, 11:10 PM
Glen Rose now adding turf to baseball and softball feilds, supposed to save on the water bill in the long run.

toddg
10-25-2012, 11:33 PM
Glen Rose now adding turf to baseball and softball feilds, supposed to save on the water bill in the long run.

the entire complex is awesome man!

Bug Truck
10-25-2012, 11:47 PM
They are also talking about stadium upgrades in the future.

Lion70
10-26-2012, 02:04 AM
Carthage hands down end thread. Biggest Jumbo screen in the State brand new statium.

lostaussie
10-26-2012, 07:03 AM
Ask again after this season.

buckeyebob
10-26-2012, 08:01 AM
Visitor's side in Gilmer

Matthew328
10-26-2012, 08:08 AM
Here's some of my favorites by area

West Texas
Andrews; great size built into a bowl
Snyder; awesome updates
Abilene Wylie; fairly new place retains some of the old charm after the remodel
Lubbock Cooper; see Abilene Wylie
Sweetwater doesn't make it because of locker rooms

DFW
Mineral Wells; close to the field, extremely nice ameneties
Glen Rose; all facilities top notch
Springtown; very very underrated stadium

Central Texas
Groesbeck; still love that one, v ery 80s feel
Navasota; new stadium looks like a great atmosphere

East Texas
Carthage; jumbotron may put it over the top
Paris; new place; nice locker rooms
Gladewater; classic stadium but still very nice

I haven't seen any in South Texas...

pancho villa
10-26-2012, 08:22 AM

West Texas
Snyder; awesome updates

DFW

Central Texas

East Texas

Cause they don't play tackle in South Texas!!!

icu812
10-26-2012, 08:27 AM
Van's new stadium is very nice for a 3A. Seats 5,500, turf, nice field house. Only has a small video board though. I hear Carthage's stadium is similar except for their giant big screen.

Bosqueville
10-26-2012, 09:28 AM
I know it's a homer pick but I make no appologies. Gordon Wood Stadium in Brownwood on a Friday night is about as good as it gets!

Agree with Springtown. Very nice, newer stadium.

Mineral Wells is top notch.

GrTigers6
10-26-2012, 09:29 AM
My favorites other than home
In no particular order
Mineral wells- new facility nice all around
Gordon wood but only because of the history. It's one of those stadiums that when your standing there you expect to see football being played. Nothing else!
Kennedale stadium is nice except that its in the middle of the metroplex lol
West grass field used to be one of the best fields that I had seen but their stands are better but not very good.

hollywood
10-26-2012, 09:30 AM
Glen Rose for 3A. Minni Allen. ONce they get turf on their baseball field and get their football stadium upgrade with new stadium seating and new tower pressbox... Wow!

They already have a basketball/volleyball arena that rivals most 5A's!!!

GrTigers6
10-26-2012, 09:51 AM
Glen Rose for 3A. Minni Allen. ONce they get turf on their baseball field and get their football stadium upgrade with new stadium seating and new tower pressbox... Wow!

They already have a basketball/volleyball arena that rivals most 5A's!!!
Well we are hosting the 5a region 1 volleyball tournament

TarponFanInNorthTexas
10-26-2012, 10:26 AM

West Texas
Snyder; awesome updates

DFW

Central Texas

East Texas

You haven't been to Port Isabel's stadium. Yeah it's not much but like......South Padre Island is RIGHT THERE!!! You can even see the skyline of it from the home stands! Can even go there and party after a Tarpons victory.

And to you "Pancho Villa" you'll understand this, I hope. Callate lo sico pendejo. You're one of the main reasons why 3A fans that post on the 956 boards don't register here. They don't appreciate your BS.

YTBulldogs
10-26-2012, 10:38 AM
Gonzales (early in year till grass dies like ours), SA Heros Stadium, Sinton, Victoria Memorial

scrub c
10-26-2012, 10:38 AM
And to you "Pancho Villa" you'll understand this, I hope. Callate lo sico pendejo. You're one of the main reasons why 3A fans that post on the 956 boards don't register here. They don't appreciate your BS.

BaaaaaaaaaaaaHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

pancho villa
10-26-2012, 10:45 AM
You haven't been to Port Isabel's stadium. Yeah it's not much but like......South Padre Island is RIGHT THERE!!! You can even see the skyline of it from the home stands! Can even go there and party after a Tarpons victory.

Is Port Isabel even in the USA? I am "El REY" and the south Texas slaps "No jugar abordar"

Matthew328
10-26-2012, 11:02 AM
I drove past PI's stadium, scenery is nice...stadium itself is average

TarponFanInNorthTexas
10-26-2012, 11:18 AM
I drove past PI's stadium, scenery is nice...stadium itself is average

They have a new scoreboard now, and upgraded the speaker system. The field is still grass, but that's a "personal perference" of the coaching staff. They've also extended the visitor side stands a bit. But still, it's an average stadium at best except for the killer view from the top of the home side stands.

Also for the first few weeks of the season, there is a weekly fireworks display every Friday night on South Padre Island which is easily visible from the home stands as well as the top of the visitor side stands, although the visitors would have to face away from the game to look at the fireworks. What other stadium in Texas can say they've got Friday Night Lights AND a fireworks display going on at the same time? Brazoria Co. sure doesn't have any of that I'm sure, eh "Pancho?"

ctown81
10-26-2012, 11:22 AM
Van's new stadium is very nice for a 3A. Seats 5,500, turf, nice field house. Only has a small video board though. I hear Carthage's stadium is similar except for their giant big screen.

I saw Van's stadium when Tenaha and Joaquin played there 3 years ago. Very nice and similiar to Carthage. If it weren't for the jumbotron I would give the edge to Van.

ccmom
10-26-2012, 11:36 AM
I know it's a homer pick but I make no appologies. Gordon Wood Stadium in Brownwood on a Friday night is about as good as it gets!

Agree with Springtown. Very nice, newer stadium.

Mineral Wells is top notch.

The atmosphere and the historic feeling of Gordon Wood is awesome....however that place is in need of upgrades in many areas.

ccmom
10-26-2012, 11:38 AM

West Texas
Snyder; awesome updates

DFW

Central Texas

East Texas

I love the Mustang Bowl in Sweetwater...and the renovations in recent years are awesome. I didn't realize the locker rooms were bad...but that hasn't impacted my experiences there one bit.:D

Roughneck93
10-26-2012, 12:26 PM

:eek: Lol, that's funny! :tisk:

Sweetwater Red
10-26-2012, 12:28 PM

West Texas
Snyder; awesome updates

Hahahahahahahaha

BEAST
10-26-2012, 01:29 PM
The atmosphere and the historic feeling of Gordon Wood is awesome....however that place is in need of upgrades in many areas.

Curious, what upgrades do you think GWS needs?

BEAST

Matthew328
10-26-2012, 01:36 PM
Paved parking would be nice at Gordon Wood, aren't the bathrooms antiquated also?

Cam
10-26-2012, 01:53 PM
In my area Mineral Wells has a very nice stadium. It is less than 5 years old with no track. They kept that close to the filed feel that old Miller Stadium had but with modern amenities.

Glen Rose has very nice all-round facilities. Prolly the best in our area IMO. Their basketball arena is amazing.

I think Burnet played Burkburnett in a 2nd round playoff game back in 2010 at Mineral Wells. Doesn't that stadium have a good sized press box? Very nice! I still remember that blocked Burnet FG returned for a TD that I have nightmares about!

Cam
10-26-2012, 01:58 PM

a la madre! Va ver bronca!!!....

BEAST
10-26-2012, 01:58 PM
Paved parking would be nice at Gordon Wood, aren't the bathrooms antiquated also?

The parking lot is basically paved. The bathrooms got cleaned up a bit over the summer but do need an overhaul.

BEAST

Dub-C
10-26-2012, 02:08 PM
They have a new scoreboard now, and upgraded the speaker system. The field is still grass, but that's a "personal perference" of the coaching staff. They've also extended the visitor side stands a bit. But still, it's an average stadium at best except for the killer view from the top of the home side stands.

Also for the first few weeks of the season, there is a weekly fireworks display every Friday night on South Padre Island which is easily visible from the home stands as well as the top of the visitor side stands, although the visitors would have to face away from the game to look at the fireworks. What other stadium in Texas can say they've got Friday Night Lights AND a fireworks display going on at the same time? Brazoria Co. sure doesn't have any of that I'm sure, eh "Pancho?"

I do remember what a Brazoria county team did to one those south Texas teams in the playoffs last year though. Your right about the whole scenery thing, we just play good football.

Roughneck93
10-26-2012, 02:16 PM
Columbia is looking to make improvements to Griggs Field. Read about it in the paper a few weeks ago.

A wish list includes...

Building one large concession/restroom facility that would be used by home and visitors.

Switching the home side to the west side of the field.

Rabid Cougar
10-26-2012, 02:34 PM
My favorites other than home
In no particular order
Mineral wells- new facility nice all around
Gordon wood but only because of the history. It's one of those stadiums that when your standing there you expect to see football being played. Nothing else!
Kennedale stadium is nice except that its in the middle of the metroplex lol
West grass field used to be one of the best fields that I had seen but their stands are better but not very good.

Is GR going to "flip" the home side to the west side? I know ya'll just love "eating" the sun in September.

West???? You mean when they don't flood it on Wednesday and play on it on Thursday to get it ready for Friday night?

I don't recall playing football in the Palace. No comparison to that anywhere around.

In regards to GR's football stadium by itself, it is no better than or worse than LV's, CS's, Robinson's or Connally's. Just a lot redder.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
10-26-2012, 02:37 PM
I do remember what a Brazoria county team did to one those south Texas teams in the playoffs last year though. Your right about the whole scenery thing, we just play good football.

The team in question was weak, as was most of the RGV in general last year in the lower classes. Y'all just did what you were supposed to, which was beat the snot out of teams you're supposed to.

Bug Truck
10-26-2012, 03:30 PM
Now Glen Rose flips sides for Sub-varsity, there has been talk of changing back to home on west side. But so far nothing has been decided. Next upgrade that is being considered is new scoreboard, Jumbo-Tron in the future.

Indian 1985
10-26-2012, 04:33 PM
I really like Tiger Stadium in Glen Rose..with the awesome backdrop of the coolest of cool basketball arenas behind the north endzone..greatness!!

I guess I'll find out tonight.
I really wish they would do something with our old stadium! It needs to be torn down and rebuilt.

Pendragon13
10-26-2012, 04:51 PM
Curious, what upgrades do you think GWS needs?

BEASTLarger pee troughs..:D

mwrams
10-26-2012, 06:06 PM
We are proud of all of our facilities here at Mineral Wells. A concession stand at every corner. Clean rest rooms. A huge press box and no track around the field. You are right up against the field. One of the best 3A stadiums in Texas.