PDA

View Full Version : Discipline vs. Emotion

Pudlugger
08-27-2003, 05:38 PM
A coach can exploit the talent of the players on his team in two different ways: by discipline such as in the Marines; or by emotion such as in the Super Bowl hype. If a team is not responsive to discipline because players either quit or won't come out, a coach can use emotion as a driving force. On the other hand, a team that is willing to submit itself to extreme discipline may lack the energy or creativeness to propel itself beyond its normal limits to win big games. What do you think wins championships, discipline or emotion?

TARPON DAD
08-27-2003, 05:46 PM
emotion! defenetly emotion! wink
tarpons have played well in hard games !
the fans were load !
and this guys who last year didnt get all the
RESPECT!
they deserve they held there heads high and in the end found theselfs in the third round of the playoffs,they will only get better this year!!!!!
emotion will drive you to excel!

go big blue!!!!! wink
-------------------------------------------------

cubs
08-27-2003, 05:55 PM
Emotion - kids have to love to play and they have to believe in their coach and trust him. Discipline is necessary, but if it goes to the point of taking away the will to win and the love of the game - you won't get very far. Kids have to have confidence in themselves and not be little robots. I'd take emotion anyday - they won't quit fighting out there. If the discipline is such that the love of the game has been taken away and they cannot rely on themselves and each other on the field - it's not even worth playing. That's enough - I'm repeating myself. LOL

sinton66
08-27-2003, 06:25 PM
I think you need to define discipline. To me, discipline means doing everything right the first time, maintaining concentration and trusting in what your tutors tell you. Following a strict regimen can be burdensome if you don't see results. If you do though, it can do great things for you. You also have to have the will and spirit to go with it. So, I guess my vote would be for a good measure of both.

hornsfootball
08-27-2003, 06:29 PM
i tink belvile has disiplin enoujh to take teh hole thing to the house and win champonship. thats all i tink it comes down to in the long run and emotion two.

FORFIT DISTRIC?!?!?!!!

Eagles52
08-27-2003, 08:42 PM
if everyone in...belvile is it...well if they are all as educated as you I think you have to be a candidate for state champs, you obviously have to mental capacity for a 2nd grade spelling test

Gobbla2001
08-27-2003, 08:56 PM
I really think you need both...

Sometimes I think discipline is better to have, then again, emotion brings out more determination...

I'd say you need both, it's hard to chose just one...

FBJones
08-27-2003, 09:02 PM
If you could only have all of one and none of the other, discipline will win every time. But as several have pointed out, there has to be a good balance of both to be a good team.

lepfan
08-27-2003, 09:07 PM
I agree with Gobbla...I also think there is a fine line between the two...you have to push the discipline to the emotional point of wanting it...with discipline your coaching staff and players will gain respect...with respect your TEAM will have that emotional drive...

bd62
08-27-2003, 09:07 PM
you have to have displine. thats a given.but if you play football with out emotion you should not be out there. there times in a game when the kids have to show emotion to get other guys who are draging back to playing. thats called leadership.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
08-27-2003, 09:22 PM
Really and truly, what wins football games is heart. You have to have it inside, the want and desire to play and put out to win, and to actually go out and do it. Discipline is a must. You have to be able to go out and do as the coach tells you to your best ability. You must also be disciplined enough to go out and train your body, eat right, not abuse your body, and get the proper amount of rest. You can do that and lose games. You have to have it deep inside of you to go out and push harder and dig deeper inside to win a game. You may be the best athlete to step out on the field, but you have to have heart to sacrifice and make the most of it. Heart is the instinct that drives us. Heart puts us on the field. Heart wins games, no matter what anybody says, because a player can only be disciplined as much as his heart wants him to be or pushes him to be for that matter. If you have heart, then you have discipline.

<small>[ August 30, 2003, 09:17 PM: Message edited by: BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END ]</small>

bd62
08-27-2003, 10:12 PM
young man i dont think anyone can say it better than you did. i bet the rockdale coach is glad you are on his team.

Pudlugger
08-27-2003, 10:31 PM
BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END:
Really and truly, it's all about heart. You have to have it inside, the want and desire to play and put out to win, and to actually go out and do it. Discipline is a must. You have to be able to go out and do as the coach tells you to your best ability. You must also be disciplined enough to go out and train your body, eat right, don't abuse your body, and get the proper amount of rest. You can do that and lose games. You have to have it deep inside of you to go out and push harder and dig deeper inside to win a game. You may be the best athlete to step out on the field, but you have to have heart to sacrifice and make the most of it. Heart is the instinct that drives us. Heart puts us on the field. Heart wins games, no matter what anybody says, because a player can only be disciplined as much as his heart wants him to be or pushes him to be for that matter. If you have heart, then you have discipline.Now there is the answer I was looking for!

<small>[ August 27, 2003, 10:32 PM: Message edited by: Pudlugger ]</small>

landries
08-28-2003, 11:41 PM
i got your second grade right here

pirate4state
08-29-2003, 02:03 PM
landries:
i got your second grade right hereWith that response, I'm sure you do! :D

BrahmaMom
08-29-2003, 02:14 PM
I think discipline, especially self-discipline, and heart are both essential components to a championship team. But a team must have discipline from the coaching staff and from within itself, too. Good luck tonight, Brahmas!