PDA

View Full Version : Wylie @ Greenwood

ccmom
10-24-2012, 12:02 PM
Who ya got?

Wylie is coming off a hard fought win over Monahans (20-17). Greenwood lost to Monahans (13-20) but in a close game and then beat Sweetwater pretty handily (31-13).

Sweetwater Red
10-24-2012, 12:19 PM
Just a few comments:

1. Snyder is better than Greenwood or atleast that's the conclusion I came to after watching them on consecutive weeks. So, if Greenwood were to pull off the huge upset Friday...lookout.

2. Greenwood's only strengths are their SR QB who is huge and a good front 7 that were disciplined and pressured our QB and held our running game to minimal yardage.

3. Greenwood's secondary is awful. If Wylie's o-line can give their QB any kind of time then Wylie will throw for 350+ yards easy.

4. I say Wylie wins by somewhere in the 24-28 point rage.

ccmom
10-24-2012, 01:49 PM
http://www.reporternews.com/news/2012/oct/23/wylie-qb-grant-happy-to-drive-bus-for-unbeaten/

For quarterbacks, the term "bus-driver" isn't always an endearing description. Most often handed to players on talent-rich teams who do more to avoid failure than to personally promote success, the label comes with connotations that can easily be construed as negative.

But for Wylie quarterback Taylor Grant, who has guided the No. 2 Bulldogs to a 7-0 record in his first year as starter, not only is "bus-driver" an acceptable moniker, it's what he aspires to be.

"I just try to be the quarterback that basically just drives the bus," he said. "My job is just to get the players where they need to be and the ball where it needs to be, so the ball can be in the hands of the playmakers and they can make the big plays."

Thus far, he's done that to near perfection, completing 97 of 143 passes for 1,324 yards and 18 touch
downs against just four interceptions. But to imply that he's merely been a conduit and his success a product of those around him wouldn't be remotely fair to him — or paint an accurate picture of the job he's done this season.

In truth, he's made more than his fair share of plays, evidenced by a 181.5 quarterback rating that would have most signal callers statewide looking up at him if that stat were widely kept. And though the calmness with which he plays belies his play-making ability at times, it's plainly evident to those who play with and depend on him.

"He's seizing the moment right now," Wylie coach Hugh Sandifer said. "He's taking advantage of every opportunity that he's getting, and his play has been a real driving force for a lot of other players on our team.

"I'm not going to say it's surprised us the success he's having, but there are some phases of the game that I have been pleasantly surprised with — just the command he has of the offense and also his leadership of the team."

Grant's command of the Wylie offense and huddle may be his greatest attributes as a football player. Both, Sandifer said, are calming forces for the Bulldogs' other starters and only increase the confidence Grant's teammates have in him.

Senior receiver Patrick Walker, who's caught 15 passes for 191 yards and a touchdown this season, said the Wylie players have full trust in their quarterback to run the offense and wouldn't change a thing about the way he leads the team.

"Taylor's a great leader, just on and off the field," Walker said. "He's doing an exceptional job with just handling the team, putting the team on his back and being the quarterback that he's supposed to be."

Grant, a 5-foot-11 senior, has earned that confidence with his steady play on the field.

A heady player with strong decision-making abilities, Grant has rarely made the types of momentum-shifting mistakes that get other quarterbacks in trouble. And when he has, he's shrugged them off quickly.

Of his four interceptions this season, two were balls that deflected first off receivers' hands. And around his few gaffes, he's led one of the most efficient ball-control offenses in the state.

"We try to teach our quarterbacks that they just have to blow (mistakes) off and go on to the next play," Sanidfer said. "If you're going to be a great quarterback, you almost have to suffer a little bit from amnesia. You can't remember anything that's happened — good or bad — behind you.

"Taylor does a good job of that. I think he's a competitor to the point that if he does have a bad play, he wants to make up for it on the next one. That's just something that you've got to have at that position. You've got to have a guy that wants to compete, and you have to have a guy that wants to win. And he's obviously shown that."

Grant, who also excels on the golf course, where he earned a trip to the Class 3A state tournament last spring, said he owes much his statistical success to the guys around him. He said without an offensive line that routinely gives him time to operate in the pocket and an abundance of skill players able to extend plays with the ball in their hands, his job would be much more difficult.

So if he's viewed by others as more of the game-manager type, delivering the ball where it needs to be on time, that's fine with him. That's how he views himself.

"Those guys make the big plays for me, and they make me look good just because of how good they are," Grant said. "Everybody's helped me along and it's been fun this year. I've just tried to stay patient, stay calm back there in the pocket and just deliver the ball to the right guys, whoever that may be.

"If it's a run play, a pass play or whatever, I'm just trying to get the ball in the hands of the playmakers."

That approach has worked extraordinarily well to this point. And if Grant plays the rest of the season the way he has thus far, he'll get no complaints from his coach.

"He's done a great job," Sandifer said. "You can tell that he's in command of the team and the huddle. Guys respond to that. They want their quarterback to be cool, and they want him to be in control, and I think they've seen that."

hollywood
10-24-2012, 01:50 PM
AW 100% healthy... rolls easily. If not, will be a hard fought win.

I selected the right option in the poll this time ccmom! ;)

Deuce
10-24-2012, 03:15 PM
Wylie wins by 77. Is Garcia busy making photos or what?

franz
10-24-2012, 04:51 PM
Wylie 36-10

vtskneb
10-24-2012, 04:53 PM
Wylie 36-10

Wylie still plays football?

slingshot
10-24-2012, 06:10 PM

We're still pretty beat up... I still like our chances though. Wylie 27--Greenwood 14...

Tiganut
10-24-2012, 06:22 PM
Wylie healthy 35-14
Wylie still beat up 24- 14

Pendragon13
10-24-2012, 06:30 PM
Like others have pointed out..
If we had the same players that went into the Big Spring game...14-21 point win. As it is now 3-14 point win with a possibility of being much closer.

franz
10-24-2012, 07:29 PM

Now now vts@^&%*, we are just hoping we sneak into the playoffs. We are small slow and weak, but our execution is impeccable

Pendragon13
10-24-2012, 07:57 PM
Wylie still plays football?We thought about disbanding the team after we heard Sville was dropping down, but we decided to go ahead and play one more season as a farewell tour..

vtskneb
10-24-2012, 08:20 PM
Scoreboard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zk4n_DDpIr0

franz
10-24-2012, 08:49 PM
Scoreboard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zk4n_DDpIr0

I just told you we aren't any good, just lucky and easy schedule. I do wonder why you Stephenville guys live in the past so much.

vtskneb
10-24-2012, 09:01 PM
I just told you we aren't any good, just lucky and easy schedule. I do wonder why you Stephenville guys live in the past so much.

I thought this is what you are suppose to on this board. Chime in a thread that had nothing to do with your team and mock that team and its fans. Come on franz, just playing around. :)

franz
10-24-2012, 09:24 PM
I thought this is what you are suppose to on this board. Chime in a thread that had nothing to do with your team and mock that team and its fans. Come on franz, just playing around. :)

That is what we are doing. I would be disappointed if you didn't. If Ville D admits your defense is average I would back off.

vtskneb
10-24-2012, 09:40 PM
That is what we are doing. I would be disappointed if you didn't. If Ville D admits your defense is average I would back off.

We have one of the best defenses in the state.

ccmom
10-25-2012, 01:55 PM
We lived in Midland for a couple of years, early in our marriage and actually were in the process of buying a home in Greenwood when we got the chance to come back to Abilene. Anyway, the weekend we moved there, they had a crazy dust storm and I whined to my husband, "Where the heck have you taken me?". He tried to convince me that we would probably never see a dust storm like that again....WRONG!!! Anyway, today I was looking at Texasbob to take a gander at Greenwood's stadium. The link is below. Ummmm....my eyes started watering just looking at the pic!!! :eek:

http://www.texasbob.com/stadium/stadium.php?id=529

ccmom
10-26-2012, 10:57 AM
http://www.reporternews.com/news/2012/oct/25/no-2-wylie-looks-to-stay-unbeaten-at-midland/

No. 2 Wylie (7-0, 2-0) at Midland Greenwood (5-2, 1-1)

7:30 p.m. TODAY * J.M. KING MEMORIAL STADIUM, MIDLAND * KEAN 105.1 FM

What's riding on this game:The Bulldogs, who are one game ahead of Greenwood, Monahans, Snyder and Sweetwater in the District 4-3A standings, can put some distance between themselves and their nearest competitors with a win. Beating Big Spring and Monahans in the first two weeks of league play has Wylie in strong position to win its first district title since 2009. With a victory today over Greenwood, the Bulldogs will be in even better shape heading into their final two regular-season games against Snyder and Sweetwater.

Last week: Wylie trailed for the first time this year — albeit for only 14 seconds — in a 20-17 home win over Monahans. Greenwood rebounded from a 20-13 loss to Monahans in its district opener with a 31-13 victory at Sweetwater. Today's matchup will be the fourth meeting all-time between the Bulldogs and Rangers. Wylie won the previous three by an average score of 30-7.

Scouting Greenwood: The Rangers have one of the top passing attacks in the district, led by senior quarterback Kam Williams, who's thrown for 1,573 yards and 16 touchdowns against just four interceptions this season. Williams, also the team's leading rusher with 453 yards and nine TDs, has distributed the ball well, completing passes to 12 receivers and hitting 11 for TDs. Colin Sullivan leads all Greenwood pass-catchers with 29 grabs for 322 yards and two TDs, while Cal Carmichael (25-306, two TDs), Braydin Moreland (20-282, three TDs) and Brackston Buck (16-177, one TD) also are dangerous in the passing game. The Greenwood defense has been a strength as well, surrendering 17.6 points per game overall and 16.5 in district.

Bulldogs update: Wylie showed its depth last week, beating preseason district favorite Monahans without the aid of five starters, including three of its top four tailbacks. In the absence of Garrett Martin, Zerrie Mack and Hunter Calhoun, Hayden Lewis rushed 20 times for 114 yards and caught four passes for 33 yards. The Bulldogs did turn the ball over three times and committed seven penalties for 67 yards. Still, though, they never trailed after the 6:17 mark of the second quarter.

What Bulldogs need to do to win: Eliminate the mistakes that made last week's game a close one. Greenwood's not a bad football team, but the Rangers have yet to beat a team with a winning record. If Wylie plays its game, the Bulldogs should win and win comfortably. If coach Hugh Sandifer's squad has another three-turnover game, however, Greenwood could easily keep this one close into the fourth quarter. And if that happens, all bets are off.

Daniel Youngblood's prediction: Wylie 35, Greenwood 14.

garciap77
10-26-2012, 12:00 PM
Wylie by 2!

BEAST
10-26-2012, 02:14 PM
We lived in Midland for a couple of years, early in our marriage and actually were in the process of buying a home in Greenwood when we got the chance to come back to Abilene. Anyway, the weekend we moved there, they had a crazy dust storm and I whined to my husband, "Where the heck have you taken me?". He tried to convince me that we would probably never see a dust storm like that again....WRONG!!! Anyway, today I was looking at Texasbob to take a gander at Greenwood's stadium. The link is below. Ummmm....my eyes started watering just looking at the pic!!! :eek:

http://www.texasbob.com/stadium/stadium.php?id=529

What in the world is all over that field? It looks like crop circles.

BEAST

bobcat1
10-26-2012, 02:24 PM

BEAST

Probably been watering it with that good tasting water.:speech:

ccmom
10-26-2012, 02:26 PM
Probably been watering it with that good tasting water.:speech:

I see you are going with Greenwood on this one, bobcat1. If they win, you sure will look smart...for once!!:taunt:

hollywood
10-26-2012, 03:30 PM
I see you are going with Greenwood on this one, bobcat1. If they win, you sure will look smart...for once!!:taunt:

Always routing for the underdogs. That's the Bobcat way. Easier road to SC like years past. :taunt: to bobcat1

bobcat1
10-26-2012, 06:58 PM
Couldn't resist the odds plus I did it for Ranger Mom! I have voted for Whylie all year.

Always routing for the underdogs. That's the Bobcat way. Easier road to SC like years past. :taunt: to bobcat1
We are the underdogs! At least I didn't jump off my team on to the Gnats bandwagon. Dude you completely abandoned the Loins? :taunt:

BwdLion73
10-26-2012, 07:13 PM

BEAST

looks like sand dunes

ccmom
10-26-2012, 07:43 PM
Wylie takes opening drive 75 yards for TD.

Wylie 7
Greenwood 0

6:50 left in first

ccmom
10-26-2012, 07:59 PM
Touchdown Bulldogs!

Wylie 14
Greenwood 0

End of 1

ccmom
10-26-2012, 08:08 PM
Touchdown Rangers

Wylie 14
Greenwood 7

8:38 Left in half

ccmom
10-26-2012, 08:11 PM
59 Yd TD run by Lewis!!

Wylie 21
Greenwood 7

7:38 Left n half

ccmom
10-26-2012, 08:30 PM
Wylie goes 91 yards in 9 plays.

Wylie 27 (blocked PAT)
Greenwood 7

50 seconds to half

ccmom
10-26-2012, 09:08 PM
Wylie with a pick 6!!

Wylie 34
Greenwood 7

10:32 left n third

ccmom
10-26-2012, 09:24 PM
Touchdown rangers
Wylie 34
Greenwood 14
Late third qtr

ccmom
10-26-2012, 09:28 PM
50 Yd TD run by Hayden Lewis.

Wylie 41
Greenwood 14

ccmom
10-26-2012, 09:38 PM
50 Yd TD reception by soph Baker (his first varsity TD)

48-14
10 left in game

ccmom
10-26-2012, 09:46 PM
Wylie 48
Greenwood 20

Final

bobcat1
10-26-2012, 10:00 PM
Congrats Wylie! Sorry Ranger Mom

Pendragon13
10-26-2012, 10:09 PM
Finally got a good connection..

Really proud of the young guys that stepped in for injured players and are starting to make names for themselves! Having said that, I really really REALLY wish we could have the exact same team we had the first 5 games going into the playoffs plus the depth of the younger players...but that won't be possible for at least one. For anyone that wasn't there and wondering...yes, west Texas wind is cold this time of year.:eek:

slingshot
10-27-2012, 06:20 PM
Great game. Young guys really stepped up! More injuries... this is getting ridiculous.

regaleagle
10-27-2012, 07:02 PM
This is where the luck of a season comes in.....good and bad. Just staying healthy all season long for most of the starters is near impossible. Short term injuries is what a coaching staff hopes for. Depth can become an issue, esp. at key positions. Injuries are part of the game and are gonna happen. Sometimes, it's just the timing of when the injuries occur and to whom that can make a big difference in the season. That's why winning a State Championship, and even going undefeated for 12-13 weeks is so cherished. These players today are so big and strong and athletic as a group compared to just 20 yrs. ago. There will be injuries.