PDA

View Full Version : Did you know?????????

bigman33
06-29-2002, 11:34 PM
Only 33 players signed Division 1 scholarships from 3A school's last season. I just thought that was a interesting fact.

QBKilla
06-29-2002, 11:59 PM
The number should have been a lot bigger. But there's no telling how many players get the shaft because they aren't 6'2" 220. I guess thats just the way s*** goes sometimes. U of H just recently signed a kid from Huffman. He played LB and made 62 tackles last year. Being a fellow LB, those are rather weak numbers but because he was 6'2" and kind of fast they took him anyways. This year Barbers Hill graduated a RB that started his sophomore, junior and senior years. He rushed for 1250 his sophomore year and was named new comer of the year. His junior year he went for around 750 but was injured early and only played in 8 games and was still named 1st team all-district. And finally his senior year he went for 1300 yards, was District 22-3a MVP and named an all state back RB. He benched 300 lbs and squated over 500. Oh yeah he also ran 4.4 in the 40. He got a few letters from SHSU, SFA, TCU, Baylor, Virginia and even one from A&M but when it came down to it nobody wanted the 5'9" kid. It was pretty much a travesty. It just really pisses me off that that is the way these recruiters think. Thats just one example of how a lot of kids get screwed over but hey its hard to argue when you see people like Jevon Kearse accelling at the highest level. Those are just my opinions.

bigman33
07-01-2002, 12:13 AM
A lot of kids get passed up in the lower levels and many coaches do not understand why. Many believe that 5A and 4A have better coaching and more time to develop young players, but I believe football is football, and if you can play the game, college coaches will find you.

QBKilla
07-01-2002, 08:35 PM
Heard that, brother.

sinfan75
07-01-2002, 08:43 PM
How bout the ones that are offered D1 scholarships but opt to go to smaller schools cause a better chance of playin right away.

bigman33
07-03-2002, 05:13 PM
I do not know about all that. I think if a kid has a chance to sign a division 1 scholarship, they will take it. Because big schools do not sign kids that will not play there. They sign kids that will play, coaches will not sign kids that will waste their money. 33 kids, thats not many for 3A.

hsguru
07-03-2002, 09:55 PM
There is an old feeling that the kids in 3A arent playing the toughest competition every week. In a way that is true. Take John Lampert the Wylie kid that signed with Purdue, he didnt play against anyone else all year that had the same amount of athletic ability that he did, along with the size and speed. Do not think that I am tooting his horn its simply the truth. Colleges feel likle these kids havent been tested enough in games or at their own schools because there simply arent as many kids to compete against. There are kids that have the tools to go DI in 3A, but alot of them arent given the opportunity.
Once again i will use Lampert as an example. The kid runs a 10.5 hundred, long jumps 25'3", can cath the ball, run with it, and will light you up on defense and he got one serious DI offer. If John is in 4A he is getting hounded by everyone. Their are several schools that will show early intrest in a 3A kid but they never get hounded like the 4 and 5A kids do. Alot of these schools will try and jump on a kid late in the recruiting season after they have been spurned by another recruit and alot of times these 3A kids have already committed to a smaller school.
A kid has to have a huge statisical year his junior season to get notice and for 3A kids sometimes that doesnt help. The best thing for a legitimate DI 3A prospect to do is go to every single college sponsored camp they can from their 9th grade year on. A college coach loves being able to see what a kid can do in the camp against the other high-caliber athletes.
Spike Dykes was a great small school talent judge and he had some pretty good Southwest conference teams made up of not just 3 but 1 and 2A kids.

And thats all I got to say about that......

oldbuff78
07-05-2002, 11:57 AM
A scout looks at size, class the school is in,if he or she is in the clearing house on grades and test scores. They also look at the coaching staff where the athlete is playing at. They will also look to see if the athlete has deep roots in talent.