PDA

View Full Version : Longhorn Netork-Mack Brown

Scoop27
10-23-2012, 03:13 PM
Texas coach Mack Brown once welcomed the Longhorn Network. Now he sounds as though it's become a headache and a window for opposing coaches to get an unfair peek into his program.

"I didn't ask for it," Brown said Monday, noting he's worried that the six hours a week he spends taping three television shows and the network's access to the first 30 minutes of daily practice may tip opposing coaches to player injuries, tendencies and schemes.

Brown said he and Baylor coach Art Briles discussed it before Texas (5-2) beat Baylor 56-50 on Saturday.

"It's in Waco. Baylor sees every practice," Brown said. "We're a little overexposed."

Brown talked about the Longhorn Network for several minutes before a media relations assistant stepped in to limit questions: Brown had to get to a network show taping.

"I'm a soldier," Brown said. "They tell me to go work with the Longhorn Network, I'll go do it."

It's not the first time Brown has expressed frustration about living with the cameras and crews that come with the school's 20-year, $300 million partnership with ESPN. But his comments at his weekly news conference were the harshest yet.

Texas and ESPN unveiled the contract for the Longhorn Network in January 2011, promising fans unparalleled reporting with behind-the-scenes coverage of one of the wealthiest and most prominent athletic programs in the country.

The move created a flashpoint of controversy within the Big 12 and was one of the reasons the league nearly split apart. Rivals Texas A&M and Missouri saw the network as creating an unfair recruiting advantage and financial boost that couldn't be matched.

Texas A&M and Missouri ultimately left the Big 12 for the Southeastern Conference and the split with the Aggies ended one of the longest rivalries in college football.

The network has since struggled to find broad distribution from most major cable and satellite providers. In August, AT&T Inc. agreed to carry the network on its U-verse TV service.

Brown says he knows opposing coaches watch it for any details they can get on the Longhorns. Texas school officials negotiated the network contract and the network's access to his program without asking his advice.

"We were given a deal that we had no input in," Brown said.

Brown tapes three shows a week. Practice footage usually includes stretching and some position drills.

The programming tries to avoid unveiling schemes or game plans but opponents can still pick up valuable tidbits, Brown said. A member of the media relations staff watches every day to monitor what may be revealed.

"It's a true advantage (for opponents). They can watch our attitude, they can watch our coaches," Brown said.

Brown said he wants to meet with school president Bill Powers, athletic director DeLoss Dodds and network officials after the season to work out changes that he did not detail.

"There has to be some give and take," Brown said. "It is what it is. It's part of my job because DeLoss and Bill Powers have told me it is."

Dodds said school officials talk with the network every week.

"If there are issues we feel are necessary to talk about we will. It's a great thing for Texas. We are pioneers in this. Mack's issues will absolutely be addressed by me and Mack and the Longhorn Network," Dodds said.

ESPN released a statement saying the network was created to serve the school's passionate fan base.

"A network of this kind has never been done at this level and it continues to evolve," ESPN said.

Texas offensive coordinator Bryan Harsin seemed unfazed by the network's presence.

"They don't have any effect on what we do or how we prepare," Harsin said.

Rabid Cougar
10-23-2012, 03:53 PM
ESPN intentionally put the A&M vs LSU game at 11:00am time slot so not to conflict with the ABC's tu vs Baylor Game and promoting tu Sports Network

http://outkickthecoverage.com/lsu-texas-am-beats-primetime-tennessee-bama-game.php

Old Tiger
10-23-2012, 04:52 PM
It is Mack Browns way of getting the bad press off his defense and team and on to another topic. That is all this LHN Mack being against it stuff is about.

Txbroadcaster
10-23-2012, 05:26 PM
ESPN intentionally put the A&M vs LSU game at 11:00am time slot so not to conflict with the ABC's tu vs Baylor Game and promoting tu Sports Network

http://outkickthecoverage.com/lsu-texas-am-beats-primetime-tennessee-bama-game.php

no proof in what that article says...just conjecture

Rabid Cougar
10-23-2012, 05:40 PM
no proof in what that article says...just conjecture

I know but agree to in theory. So you say Alabama vs Tennessee had higher interest/desirability?
I am just really enjoying tu's total lack of respectabilty at this point.:)

Aesculus gilmus
10-23-2012, 05:47 PM
There is a simple solution, Brown. RESIGN! NOW!

I am certain UT can find a "game show host/delegator-in-chief" to do the job at less than half what you're making.

This is by far the lamest stunt Mack has pulled yet. It is beyond embarrassing.

msu97
10-24-2012, 06:55 AM
1) some of you obviously pay no attention... Mack said this about the Longhorn Network from day 1... he has never been a fan of it...
2) The LSU/ Aggie being moved has everything to do with ratings and stations, not UT... but if you feel UT has that much stroke, then that is your problem, but since you are an aggie then you have a problem with UT...
3) like it or not, UT is, much like Notre Dame, will always be a premier school,
4) true, UT has missed on some prospects, but everyone does... Garrett Gilbert was the most coveted qb coming out of high school, much like Reggie McNeal, and they just did not pan out
5) UT is undergoing a change, a rebuilding... it may take another year, it may take longer, if it does take longer, someone else will be head coach and it will start over again...
6) even with UT being down, they are still better than an average ATM team... and I think that is what bothers most of you on here...

GO Ducks...

Old Tiger
10-24-2012, 07:28 AM
1) some of you obviously pay no attention... Mack said this about the Longhorn Network from day 1... he has never been a fan of it...
2) The LSU/ Aggie being moved has everything to do with ratings and stations, not UT... but if you feel UT has that much stroke, then that is your problem, but since you are an aggie then you have a problem with UT...
3) like it or not, UT is, much like Notre Dame, will always be a premier school,
4) true, UT has missed on some prospects, but everyone does... Garrett Gilbert was the most coveted qb coming out of high school, much like Reggie McNeal, and they just did not pan out
5) UT is undergoing a change, a rebuilding... it may take another year, it may take longer, if it does take longer, someone else will be head coach and it will start over again...
6) even with UT being down, they are still better than an average ATM team... and I think that is what bothers most of you on here...

GO Ducks...

I do not believe your number 1 point is true. Show me where Mack ever said that prior to these recent stories.

I remember him being exciting knowing that it could bring a recruiting advantage to the table and could put Texas in the middle of the spot light.

Mack wants to come off as some big time PR guy and be in front of a camera all the time when he has to be now that he has to be more than he likes he is getting pissy. I think its due to him not wanting to see how he is rarely involved in practice. Unlike coaches like Saban, Meyer, and Muschamp who are active and in your face during individual drills coaching you up and making sure your doing your job.

Mack always preaches accountability but he needs to point the finger at himself when it comes to accountability.

gameface
10-24-2012, 08:15 AM
Mack gotta own it! He has to enjoy his Longhorn Network Country Club membership and has to pay his dues! Being exposed was part of the deal and now that being seen too much to assist opponents with scouting.... well, his orange deal-gotta own it!

coach
10-24-2012, 08:17 AM

GO Ducks...

lol texas is not better than atm this year

msu97
10-24-2012, 08:31 AM
not going to do any research... I remember being at his camp and he said that the Longhorn Network was not his idea and that he was not a fan... but was going to do what was asked... same thing being said here...
it has to be tough at UT, and he does a great job for what that job requires... they will be fine...

so are you saying that Aggie is better than UT? not hardly... if they played each others schedule they would have the same record the other school has... ATM would not beat WVU or OU... they struggled with LA Tech... and Texas would only have lost to LSU and Florida... so they are equal... neither one is better than the other... point being this is a down year again for UT...
Go Ducks

coach
10-24-2012, 09:11 AM
[QUOTE=msu97;1706577]not going to do any research... I remember being at his camp and he said that the Longhorn Network was not his idea and that he was not a fan... but was going to do what was asked... same thing being said here...
it has to be tough at UT, and he does a great job for what that job requires... they will be fine...

so are you saying that Aggie is better than UT? not hardly... if they played each others schedule they would have the same record the other school has... ATM would not beat WVU or OU... they struggled with LA Tech... and Texas would only have lost to LSU and Florida... so they are equal... neither one is better than the other... point being this is a down year again for UT...
Go Ducks[/ther

there is a difference in losing to the #2 team and #6 team by a combined 5 points. and texas getting blown out by wvu and wvu is going downhill fast. atm would beat wvu now. texas will lose to tech and kstate and possibly tcu. atm could only lose one more game to bama. its funny that you think texas is beeter when ever poll and coach in the country has atm ahead of texas....

duckhunter
10-24-2012, 09:14 AM

GO Ducks...

I'm assuming you're either in high school and were like in elementary school when Reggie was qb'ing, or you're just drunk on orange kool-aid but Reggie M had a pretty impressive career in aggieland. In no way can you put him in the same boat as Garrett Gilbert.
Period.

Macarthur
10-24-2012, 09:44 AM
UT is better than A&M? YOu do realize that UT is giving up 50 points a game in conference play!?

Rabid Cougar
10-24-2012, 10:04 AM
The tale of the tape

tu rankings
PASSING YARDS 261.34 4th in Nation
Overall RUSHING YARDS 196.0 36th in Nation
Overall POINTS FOR 44.4 6th in Nation
OverallPOINTS AGAINST 35.0 105th in Nation

ATM
PASSING YARDS 303.3 17th in Nation
OverallRUSHING YARDS 221.3 19th in Nation
OverallPOINTS FOR 43.0 9th
OverallPOINTS AGAINST 22.1 38th

105th in Points against... very WAC

Macarthur
10-24-2012, 10:07 AM
And that 35 points against is misleading because of the weak out of conf schedule. That defense is putrid. I don't care how good your offense is, if you give up 50 points a game in conference, you don't deserve to be ranked.

Rabid Cougar
10-24-2012, 10:22 AM

GO Ducks...

Oh heavens... If you DON'T think tu has that much stroke you have been living on Mars. The same way if you think ABC and ESPN don't protect each other. If LSU/ATM had been availible to CBS it most certainly would have been in their No. 1 time slot.

I don't think tu is better than ATM and am certainly NOT jealous. 3 Point loss to Florida and a 5 point loss to LSU. Both of which ATM was leading and playing competatively.

msu97
10-24-2012, 10:32 AM
Oh heavens... If you DON'T think tu has that much stroke you have been living on Mars. The same way if you think ABC and ESPN don't protect each other. If LSU/ATM had been availible to CBS it most certainly would have been in their No. 1 time slot.

I don't think tu is better than ATM and am certainly NOT jealous. 3 Point loss to Florida and a 5 point loss to LSU. Both of which ATM was leading and playing competatively.
then the whole idea of ATM going to SEC to out recruit UT is dumb logic... since UT is a major power anyway... what would the SEC help you out recruit Texas? since Texas is always going to be on TV... and ATM is still same old ATM, cannot finish, no matter who the coach is... your words, not mine.
I would honestly love ATM to compete in the SEC... a team that was mediocre at best in the Big 12 being a great team in the SEC? more or less proves that the SEC is just not that dominant then does it?
I honestly do not drink the orange koolaid... funny coming from aggies who all they do is drink the kool aid...
I work the Mack Brown camps... like the guy, like most of the coaches there... three former athletes play there and I root for them... so when I referenced I was not doing the research it was in response to Mack never really liking the idea of the LHN... guess some of you only read what you want I guess...
so, you are saying that Texas would have lost to South Carolina State? La Tech? SMU? Auburn? Arkansas? Miss State? Sam Houston? Missouri? wow, I thought I was dillusional... that is NOT a tough schedule... I will give you Alabama, Florida and a very down LSU but...

Go Ducks...

msu97
10-24-2012, 10:35 AM
I'm assuming you're either in high school and were like in elementary school when Reggie was qb'ing, or you're just drunk on orange kool-aid but Reggie M had a pretty impressive career in aggieland. In no way can you put him in the same boat as Garrett Gilbert.
Period.
no, to both... I saw Reggie play at Lufkin, he was a phenom... was coaching at the time, he never panned out like ATM wanted or needed, never got them to the next level... eventhough he did engineer a great game his freshman year against Oklahoma...
sure, he did not flame out like Gilbert... but he was not the man everyone thought he would be

Scoop27
10-24-2012, 10:35 AM
Aggies should have beaten UT last year but didn't get the job done. Longhorns wanted to win more
UT would win again this year. While Sumlin is a good fit for the Aggies, it will not put them in prominence.\
They could easily have two more loses. They will most likely lose to Alabama but should win their others.
Longhons shoul win at least 3 more games this year.
As far as recruiting, I'm not sure that their coaching staff really makes an effort to scout high school games.

Rabid Cougar
10-24-2012, 11:12 AM
Cannot us Aggies just be alllowed to gloat in tu's misery and turmoil? I mean.. It's just that simple. Coming up with all these philisophical, analytical answers and opinions as to why and how, for and againts is a real buzz kill.

Macarthur
10-24-2012, 11:25 AM
Aggies should have beaten UT last year but didn't get the job done. Longhorns wanted to win more
UT would win again this year. While Sumlin is a good fit for the Aggies, it will not put them in prominence.\
They could easily have two more loses. They will most likely lose to Alabama but should win their others.
Longhons shoul win at least 3 more games this year.
As far as recruiting, I'm not sure that their coaching staff really makes an effort to scout high school games.

What in the world have you seen from UT that makes you think they would beat A&M?

msu97
10-24-2012, 12:47 PM
then rabid, you are not the typical Aggie fan I deal with all the time... you would fall into the category of my brother, Aggie class of '79... I spent many a days on Kyle field and at Aggie land... until I started meeting most aggies, who to me are like most Horn fans, off their rocker and unrealistic...
I saw Manziel in high school and thought this kid is awesome... but then Heisman talk for games against SMU?, La Tech? South Carolina St?

He will be a Heisman hopeful in two years... he is that good... not sure ATM ever will be... unless they can find some defense...

I just do not see that much difference this year between ATM and UT... but that is just me... I truly hope ATM can be great in the SEC... I had several people bet me that ATM would not win more than 6 games this year... I took all those bets... 6 bets at $25 each... not alot of money but hey... it comes in handy

Scoop27
10-24-2012, 12:51 PM
Never understand why Aggies call UT TU-Guess no respect.

Doubt A&M defense could stop the Horns. It would be a high scoring game.

Macarthur
10-24-2012, 12:57 PM
Never understand why Aggies call UT TU-Guess no respect.

Doubt A&M defense could stop the Horns. It would be a high scoring game.

I would say LSU's offense and UT's offense are pretty similar.

I think the A&M defense could hold UT under 30. The question is whether the UT defense could hold A&M under 30. I don't think there's any way in hell UT's defense could do that.

Txbroadcaster
10-24-2012, 05:33 PM
I would say LSU's offense and UT's offense are pretty similar.

I think the A&M defense could hold UT under 30. The question is whether the UT defense could hold A&M under 30. I don't think there's any way in hell UT's defense could do that.

how is LSU and Texas O's similar?

Sville
10-24-2012, 05:47 PM
how is LSU and Texas O's similar?

They both suck.

Neither has a QB and all they do is run with short passing game.

Txbroadcaster
10-24-2012, 05:48 PM
They both suck.

Neither has a QB and all they do is run with short passing game.

I think by now Ash has proven he is a good QB...and they dont just use a short passing game..they take a bunch of deep shots every game

Sville
10-24-2012, 06:23 PM
I think by now Ash has proven he is a good QB...and they dont just use a short passing game..they take a bunch of deep shots every game

UT's down the field passing game consists of trick plays to get Shipley the ball. Ash is average at best.

Sville
10-24-2012, 06:33 PM
I am just jacking with ya TBC, Ash is a lot better than last year and UT has been good on offense. But my goodness the defense suck in all of the Big 12.

vtskneb
10-24-2012, 06:42 PM
UT's down the field passing game consists of trick plays to get Shipley the ball. Ash is average at best.

Underrated post there. UT's QB situation is a joke.

Macarthur
10-24-2012, 09:50 PM
I think their offense is similar in that they are a run first team whose passing game is built upon their running game.

Ash is much better than last year, but that's not saying much.

Txbroadcaster
10-24-2012, 10:53 PM
Underrated post there. UT's QB situation is a joke.

I just dont see how anyone can say that...is Ash top 3 in country....no..but he has went past being ok to being a guy that can drive the field in high pressure situation

Txbroadcaster
10-25-2012, 01:57 AM
I think their offense is similar in that they are a run first team whose passing game is built upon their running game.

Ash is much better than last year, but that's not saying much.

problem is..UT running game has not been great...the passing game has opened up running lanes more than the other way around.

Macarthur
10-25-2012, 08:37 AM
problem is..UT running game has not been great...the passing game has opened up running lanes more than the other way around.

Frankly, I'm not really sure we know right now because the only legitimate defense UT played, OU, absolutely shut them down. I really don't think we can say anything definitive about UT's offense. What we do know is that the defense is putrid.

We'll know more after the K-State, TT & TCU games. Those are 3 teams that can play a little defense.

Txbroadcaster
10-25-2012, 10:00 AM
Frankly, I'm not really sure we know right now because the only legitimate defense UT played, OU, absolutely shut them down. I really don't think we can say anything definitive about UT's offense. What we do know is that the defense is putrid.

We'll know more after the K-State, TT & TCU games. Those are 3 teams that can play a little defense.

will play a little flip on what you said...how do we know that UT D is really that bad, they have played top offenses the past 4 weeks...now dont get me wrong, I think the D is terrible, but I do think some of that is who they played as well.

Macarthur
10-25-2012, 11:22 AM
will play a little flip on what you said...how do we know that UT D is really that bad, they have played top offenses the past 4 weeks...now dont get me wrong, I think the D is terrible, but I do think some of that is who they played as well.

Maybe, but OU had not exactly been an offensive juggernaut before their game. And west Virginia has been shut down two weeks in a row so are we sure they are all that? TCU held down Baylor so it can be done. And Old Miss shouldn't have scored 31 on them, either.

Saggy Aggie
10-25-2012, 11:30 AM
how do we know that UT D is really that bad

By watching them lol

Doesnt take a rocket scientist to see that they're just plain horrible.

Txbroadcaster
10-25-2012, 12:17 PM
Maybe, but OU had not exactly been an offensive juggernaut before their game. And west Virginia has been shut down two weeks in a row so are we sure they are all that? TCU held down Baylor so it can be done. And Old Miss shouldn't have scored 31 on them, either.

i agree..like I said was just flipping what u said...but I will say Ou is 16th in the nation in yards gained...defense has been a huge let down

Txbroadcaster
10-25-2012, 12:17 PM
By watching them lol

Doesnt take a rocket scientist to see that they're just plain horrible.

oh wow take a snippet of what I said and make it like I am truly saying that

LattiCat21
10-25-2012, 01:38 PM
In my opinion, UT looks really SOFT this year!! Going into the season, the D was supposed to be the foundation of this years team with the O still being young and trying to work things out.... Needless to say the D has been HORRIBLE and the O has been the only thing keeping UT in the game most weeks. Some of the guys on D look like they were scared to tackle the backs from OU. Really!! I don't think the issue this year is one of a lack of talent, as it rarely is for TX. I think either Diaz is soft, Mack is soft, or both... But UT should never get beat the way they did against OU, no matter what.

vtskneb
10-25-2012, 01:46 PM
I just dont see how anyone can say that...is Ash top 3 in country....no..but he has went past being ok to being a guy that can drive the field in high pressure situation

When did he prove that?

Txbroadcaster
10-25-2012, 01:49 PM
When did he prove that?

OSU game..had GW drive completed 4th down pass

vtskneb
10-25-2012, 01:56 PM
They are a top 50 defense I suppose.

Red&White_9x5
10-25-2012, 02:19 PM

GO Ducks...

MSU 97 is spot on with all 6 points! There are a lot of people that feel the Longhorn Network was Mack's doing. He was upfront and honest from the get go about it. He knew it would be far more hassle than it's worth and he was right. He has to spend FAR more of his time dealing with the obligations of that network. And for what????? The majority of people can't even get the network. Has is helped recruiting? Maybe it has for all other sports, but it hasn't helped recruiting for football at all. They were already on tv every saturday and they were always getting the pick of the recruiting litter. The Longhorn Network is in no way, shape, or form the reason for the pitiful defense that the Horns have played the past three weeks and is not to blame for the criticism that Mack is getting right now, BUT Mack has a valid point which is that he has to waste too much of his valuable time dealing with it

Macarthur
10-25-2012, 03:52 PM

GO Ducks...

MSU 97 is spot on with all 6 points!

Help me understand how a program of UT's stature that has a top 5 recruiting class every year for the last decade plus should be rebuilding? How does that happen? How many times has Stoops had to rebuild?

Number 6 is just silly.

BEAST
10-25-2012, 03:58 PM
Lets look at how each team has done against Top 10 teams this year.

Texas: Got completely blown off the field by OU and lost a barn burner to then ranked WVU. Only now we find out WVU isnt as good as we all thought.

Texas A&M: Lost by 3 points the now 2nd ranked Florida and lost by 5 points to 6th ranked LSU.

Granted both teams went 0-2 in that stretch. However, A&M could have won both games. Texas had no shot at OU, but could have won against WVU. However, WVU isnt even in the picture anymore since they have been man handled twice I believe since beating Texas.

Verdict: A&M would handle Texas this year.

BEAST

Phil C
10-25-2012, 04:08 PM
I am worried about beating Kansas this week which is no giveme. If we beat Kansas we will be bowl eligible. But it won't be easy especially since the game is in Kansas. In 2004 they came within an offensive pass interference penalty and 4th and 18 play of pulling off a big upset and they are still mad about it. Kansas has had good teams in the past. In 1908 they had a perfect 9-0 record and beat Oklahoma, Missouri, Nebraska and Kansas State. And you have to remember in 1901 UT had an outstanding winning record while Kansas had a losing record but when we went up there Kansas won 12-0. Scary times indeed and UT must be careful.

scrub c
10-25-2012, 04:18 PM
THE University of Texas

Old Tiger
10-25-2012, 04:28 PM
Lets look at how each team has done against Top 10 teams this year.

Texas: Got completely blown off the field by OU and lost a barn burner to then ranked WVU. Only now we find out WVU isnt as good as we all thought.

Texas A&M: Lost by 3 points the now 2nd ranked Florida and lost by 5 points to 6th ranked LSU.

Granted both teams went 0-2 in that stretch. However, A&M could have won both games. Texas had no shot at OU, but could have won against WVU. However, WVU isnt even in the picture anymore since they have been man handled twice I believe since beating Texas.

Verdict: A&M would handle Texas this year.

BEASTYou can't look at games as what they are now. When Texas played WVU, WVU had momentum in their favor and were clicking. They met up with a KSU team that took them to the wood shed thus killing momentum.

You have to look at the game for what it was at that point and time.

Bull Butter
10-25-2012, 10:31 PM
THE University of Texas
Pan American :)

msu97
10-26-2012, 09:55 AM
Help me understand how a program of UT's stature that has a top 5 recruiting class every year for the last decade plus should be rebuilding? How does that happen? How many times has Stoops had to rebuild?

Number 6 is just silly.
Read where I compared schedules this year... and I feel that these teams still have the same record... if UT were playing Aggies schedule they would have the same record and I feel the same way if Aggie were playing UT's schedule... when UT played WVU they were rolling... then they laid an egg against Tech... K-State is just better... they looked freaking good... they are definitely one of the top 3 teams in the country, Oregon is one, and Alabama is the other...
to say that they are not is just silly...
remember that UT has plenty of injuries at the lb position... they are pretty good up front and pretty good on the back end... they are bad in the middle...

Macarthur
10-26-2012, 10:00 AM
Read where I compared schedules this year... and I feel that these teams still have the same record... if UT were playing Aggies schedule they would have the same record and I feel the same way if Aggie were playing UT's schedule... when UT played WVU they were rolling... then they laid an egg against Tech... K-State is just better... they looked freaking good... they are definitely one of the top 3 teams in the country, Oregon is one, and Alabama is the other...
to say that they are not is just silly...

Yout still didn't answer my question. And the fact that they may or may not have the same record doesn't mean they are an equal team. By your logic Rutgers and Alabama are equal because they have the same record.

remember that UT has plenty of injuries at the lb position... they are pretty good up front and pretty good on the back end... they are bad in the middle...

I would agree that they have talent at those postions but how can you call anything associated with UT pretty good. Having good talent doesn't make you good, especially when you are giving up 50 points to your conference opponents.

Sville
10-27-2012, 12:35 PM
I am just jacking with ya TBC, Ash is a lot better than last year and UT has been good on offense. But my goodness the defense suck in all of the Big 12.

Can I take this back? UT just plain sucks this year.

regaleagle
10-27-2012, 12:44 PM
Yep, basically the Longhorn football team just never got ready to be competitive this season for some reason or another. I don't see it turning around all of a sudden this season either. MAYBE they can improve each game enough to make a bowl trip somewhere.....and just have a winning season.