PDA

View Full Version : Big School vs Small School

ronwx5x
10-23-2012, 08:01 AM
Last Friday, with many area 3A teams having an open date, I decided to attend a 5A game. I had never been to The Berry Center here in Cypress and had heard what a great facility it is, besides two 4-1 teams were playing, Cy Spring and Cy Fair (where my daughters graduated). The crowd size for Cy Fair was a bit disappointing for such a large school, maybe 3000. Cy Spring on the other hand might have had 200, and I'm being generous. The students have to sit in a section that runs from about the 20 yard line to the end zone and the band the same but on the other end of the stands.

It was like going to a bad theatrical performance. With no cheerleaders, who were always down with the students, the crowd reaction was zilch. A bit of polite applause when someone scored, no standing and no yelling at the refereeing, just nothing. We sat behind parents of two starters and their reaction was the same.

Maybe this is anecdotal, but if this is typical of large school fans, I will stick with the 3A guys, They yell, get mad, stand up and make a show of the whole game. I realize 3A generally represents one town, but 5A was no fun.

By the way The Berry Center is beautiful but I will only go back when a 3A playoff game comes!

Farmersfan
10-23-2012, 08:30 AM
I think you just picked the wrong 5A game to go see. Try getting into a Allen game or any of the Plano games. Most of the Metro Mess 5A teams will bring substantial and rowdy crowds.

Matthew328
10-23-2012, 08:31 AM
just depends like FarmerFan said...go to a Katy game....talk about a rowdy crowd

LHPfactory
10-23-2012, 08:46 AM
Our parents at the 8th grade games get into the emotion of it, let alone Friday nights.

But yeah, Schools like Katy still have a home town feel, even though they have like 5 - 5A highschools in Katy ISD. The Tigers are still centerd around old town Katy, also being one of the greatest texas highschool football programs for the past 20 years doesnt hurt either.

ctown81
10-23-2012, 09:22 AM
Euless Trinity has a great crowd and so does Desoto.

Not all 3A crowds are great. I believe the deadest crowd in all of 3A is the Carthage crowd.

Indian 1985
10-23-2012, 10:44 AM
I noticed something similar when my little 3A school played a 4A school in Ft worth a while back.
We were the visiting team, but our crowd seemed larger, louder, and more into the game than the home side. Don't get me wrong, the other side had their moments, but I think we had more fun. (Winning the game was nice too.)
The stadium was nice, it had recently been refurbished, but entering it was like passing through airport security. Metal detectors, bag checks and lousy attitudes from the FWISD staff. We weren't even allowed to bring in small signs supporting our team.
That may one answer the question as to why many people in the larger school districts don't want to come to games. You pay good money, to be treated like a criminal, just so you can watch a group of neighborhood kids play a ball game.
For us 'small town folk' going to a game is like inviting the whole town (or a big chunk of it) to a party. We hoop & holler, have a good ol' time, and support our kids 100%.
The big cities, with all of their ignorant, and arbitrary rules, combined with their bad attitudes, take all the fun out of it.
I can see why a lot of folks don't want to bother with it.

Matthew328
10-23-2012, 10:46 AM
Trust me you'd rather have a metal detector than not when going to Clark Stadium....the alternative is not fun.....I do agree that no signs is a dumb rule though

Indian 1985
10-23-2012, 10:52 AM
Trust me you'd rather have a metal detector than not when going to Clark Stadium....the alternative is not fun.....I do agree that no signs is a dumb rule though

Yup, you nailed the right stadium, Matthew.
I'm at work right now, (My 'office' has wheels) but I'm also looking right at Clark Stadium as I type this.
Not in the best of neighborhoods, but I've worked in worse places.