PDA

View Full Version : Let the debate begin...3A to have 4 playoff teams beginning next year!

pirate4state
10-22-2012, 01:55 PM
http://www.texasfootball.com/big-uil-changes/

:ack!:

Matthew328
10-22-2012, 01:59 PM
Here's a summary of the changes today

6A is approved for the 2014 realignment, this means likely that six man becomes 1A, 1A becomes 2A and etc..

UIL approves 4 playoff teams for 3A and 2A in 2013, this means 3A Division I title game will be on the same weekend as the other title games increasing the # of games to ten. So if they have the Thur-Sat setup at a central site one day will have four games. 8am state title game anyone???

UIL proposal to split 3A into Div. 1 and Div. 2 districts will be voted on by sups later this year, but the 3A sups will all be 4A after re-numbering

Charter schools; amendment passes for charter school athletics to play up in the division of the lowest classification of their home ISD. Examples, Prime Prep would be 3A, since smallest DISDs are 3A, Irving North Hills would be 5A since all Irving ISD schools are 5A

Schools will have one less tournament in volleyball, baseball, basketball etc...they can schedule extra regular season games to replace the lost tournament

Matthew328
10-22-2012, 02:03 PM
I personally dont mind the four teams...simply because I dont like 3A Div. 1 being on a seperate weekend

Pendragon13
10-22-2012, 02:03 PM
Don't like it....takes a lot of drama and "must win" atmosphere out of district games..especially districts with only 5 teams. Fans of teams who can't quite make it every year will like it, and coaches as well since they can essentially rest starters for meaningless games just like the NFL.

Maybe I'm too old school (had to win district when I was still playing) but I thought 3 teams from each district was fine...but pushing it as far as making the playoffs a major accomplishment that every team strives for..

Matthew328
10-22-2012, 02:05 PM
There's still seeding to play for etc.....I dont think its that big of a deal

Saggy Aggie
10-22-2012, 02:06 PM
So do we have to change it to *********?

Saggy Aggie
10-22-2012, 02:08 PM
There's still seeding to play for etc.....I dont think its that big of a deal

So how do you think the whole div 1/2 thing will end up?

Similar to how it is now except the top 2 highest playoff qualifying enrollments go D1 or do you think the vote will pass?

99IHSMustang
10-22-2012, 02:10 PM

Very good question indeed. :thinking:

Matthew328
10-22-2012, 02:11 PM
So how do you think the whole div 1/2 thing will end up?

Similar to how it is now except the top 2 highest playoff qualifying enrollments go D1 or do you think the vote will pass?

For next year it'll work like 4A/5A.....top 2 go Div. 1 bottom 2 Div. II

After this year a lot depends on the sup. vote..but remember next alignment 3A will be 4A so it may not affect things at all!

99IHSMustang
10-22-2012, 02:13 PM
I like the fact that all playoff games can be televised if both schools agree to the broadcast.

marler1972
10-22-2012, 02:53 PM

After this year a lot depends on the sup. vote..but remember next alignment 3A will be 4A so it may not affect things at all!

Not so fast it has been said that if this does pass they could do a rare mid-alignment realingment for Class 3A soon to be 4A for next year.
The Change from 3a to 4a is in name only.

Matthew328
10-22-2012, 02:55 PM
No mid year realignment...I've already confirmed that

marler1972
10-22-2012, 02:56 PM
When have you known the UIL to tell the truth?

Matthew328
10-22-2012, 03:02 PM
Most of the time they do...when have you known the UIL to lie?

Yoe_09
10-22-2012, 03:09 PM
The big question here is to how much the #'s for each classification will move??? Will it remain essentially the same with just minor adjustments(+/- 10-15)?

I do like the 4 team format. The more teams the better.

Matthew328
10-22-2012, 03:16 PM
I dont think the class cut offs will change much

Ville-D
10-22-2012, 03:21 PM

Jason owns *********.com

SintonFan
10-22-2012, 04:26 PM
Jason owns *********.com

Oh Brother...

movethechain
10-22-2012, 04:53 PM
*********.net is still available as well as *********.co. If you gotta have a .com, then how bout downlow4a.com or lowdown4a.com (kinda like this one myself).

You could also get creative and call the new site new4adownlow.com.

sinfan75
10-22-2012, 05:00 PM
Does this mean they're doin away with 6 man football? Or just reclassifying them as 1A.

LHPfactory
10-22-2012, 05:00 PM
I guess its ok, but a district like 8-3A would be broke up. You have Lampasas, Burnet, and Brownwood, all just a few students below 4A, Then you have LH which is a mid sized 3A. And Llano, which I believe is the smallest 3A in the state. Humm, but If we go to 4A, it wont be like that anyway, only 3A and down, which changes nothing cause 2A does it already and will move to 3A next year.

So it looks like the only change for current 3A is the name and 4 teams will make it instead of 3?... right:vrycnfsd:

SintonFan_inAustin
10-22-2012, 05:08 PM
only 2 tournaments for baseball :ack!:

jdawg2012
10-22-2012, 05:22 PM
Add 6A. But leave the other classes alone. Just take some of the larger 5A schools and bump them up. Having 4 playoff teams in some districts will only have one team not going. So its possible for a team with 1 win to go to the playoffs. Not a good idea.

M-town lobo fan
10-22-2012, 05:30 PM
Love it!!! Now the Schools that come up with that majic number every year to stay in 3A (not mentioning any names) will play teams in playoffs their own size lol

Pendragon13
10-22-2012, 05:47 PM
Love it!!! Now the Schools that come up with that majic number every year to stay in 3A (not mentioning any names) will play teams in playoffs their own size lolIf you're referring to us (it always is :rolleyes: ) then we always go D1 anyway....and could end up there this year even though we arent the largest school in the district.

Old Green
10-22-2012, 06:16 PM

After this year a lot depends on the sup. vote..but remember next alignment 3A will be 4A so it may not affect things at all!I can live with that.

Inmateboss
10-22-2012, 06:23 PM
That could be interesting for sure!!!

Expect to win, Play to win!!! Go Graham Steers
Go # 5

bigwood33
10-22-2012, 06:32 PM
Does this mean they're doin away with 6 man football? Or just reclassifying them as 1A.
This has been "in the works" for at least 3 years. The plan is to make 6- Man A, the current 11 class A schools will become the new AA, the current AA teams will become AAA. This is EXACTLY like back in the late '70's when the UIL decided to eliminate class B and AAAAA was created.
I certainly don't remember the thread, but I have been saying this a couple of years...every time the AAAAAA thing comes up.

bigwood33
10-22-2012, 06:51 PM
BTW, we tend to think about these kind of changes in regards to football but this change really isn't about football at all. It is really about all of the other sports. As an example, when you get to spring sports and are dealing with the class A schools, they may have 15 or more teams at district meets (tennis, track and field, etc). There are just so many of the small towns and breaking up these schools into their own respective classification will greatly improve the experience for the kids and make running District/Area/Regional activities run much smoother. It will also allow for districts to be set for all sports. Today, a school may be in 3 or 4 different districts depending on the sport. I know at the AAA level, these types of issues never occur but there are a TON of class A schools. There are 412 class A schools that play basketball. Today, the UIL splits class A into Div 1 and Div 2 but the same issues remain for tennis, volleyball, etc.

sTxforlife
10-22-2012, 10:27 PM
I hate the 4 teams make the playoffs rule. It takes all the satisfaction out of making the playoffs. It is gonna turn the playoffs into a joke.

Emerson1
10-22-2012, 10:38 PM
Jason owns *********.com
His dumbass idea might actually work.

Sville
10-22-2012, 10:39 PM
I love it and nothing changes. You still have to win your last game in the playoffs to get the ring.

Emerson1
10-22-2012, 10:40 PM
I hate the 4 teams make the playoffs rule. It takes all the satisfaction out of making the playoffs. It is gonna turn the playoffs into a joke.

How the hell does it turn the playoffs into a joke? Please, explain to me this awesome logic to me.

sTxforlife
10-22-2012, 10:45 PM
You have teams that have no business in the playoffs making the playoffs, maybe I'm too old fashioned but I've always thought that at the most 2 teams from each district should make it. I know that there have been teams that have squeaked in with the 3rd spot in their district and done very well in the playoffs. IMO though, I think you should have to earn the right to make the playoffs by proving yourself in your district schedule. If you have a mediocre district record you shouldn't make the playoffs. With this new policy we will have teams with possibly 1 district win making the playoffs which shouldn't be allowed.

Ville-D
10-22-2012, 11:39 PM
Here is the info from the UIL site. Home field for Dist Champs in first round would be a nice edition.

------------------

http://www.uiltexas.org/press-releases/detail/uil-legislative-council-to-meet10

------------------

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

AUSTIN, TX— The University Interscholastic League Legislative Council will convene October 21-22 at the Crowne Plaza Hotel in Austin to review UIL rules and vote on proposed rule changes.

The UIL Legislative Council meets annually to hear testimony from interested parties and consider changes in UIL policy. Some proposals that will highlight the agenda at this year’s meeting include:

Expanding eligibility of A+ contests to include 6th grade;
Adding a fourth playoff team from each district in Conferences 2A and 3A team sport activities;
Allowing UIL music the option to impose performance time limits for UIL concert performances;
Extending the option for string students to play a keyboard instrument or harp in another orchestra representing the same school;
Creating a Conference 3A for soccer and team tennis;
Adding student congress for grades nine through 12.

Results from the Fall 2012 UIL Superintendent Survey will also be presented at the Council Meeting. Superintendents across the state were asked to weigh in on issues including the following:

Home field advantage for district champions for the first round of playoffs;
Increasing the number of Conference 1A teams advancing to the playoffs from three to four;
Increasing the number of 6-man football teams from each district advancing to playoffs.

Survey results as well as proposals made during the public hearing will be discussed by the Standing Committees and then, if approved, presented to the entire Legislative Council for consideration. The Commissioner of Education must approve amendments passed by the UIL Legislative Council before they may take effect.

The 28-member Legislative Council is composed of school administrators from each of the four regions within the five UIL conferences, and eight at-large members, two from each of the four UIL regions. The chair of the Legislative Council is responsible for the appointment of the eight at-large members.

The Council’s duties include hearing proposals and passing amendments to the UIL Constitution and Contest Rules, amending or adopting contest rules and appointing standing and special committees.

bigwood33
10-23-2012, 07:26 AM
How the hell does it turn the playoffs into a joke? Please, explain to me this awesome logic to me.
I have to agree with Emerson on this. All this does is force Div 1 to play the same number of playoff games as Div 2. It also eliminates the 1st round bye for district champs in AA, which is a good thing. AAAA, and AAAAA have had this for a while now and somehow, they manage to crown state champions on the weekend before Christmas week and the teams that win these championships still haven't apologized yet.

Matthew328
10-23-2012, 07:38 AM
I have to agree with Emerson on this. All this does is force Div 1 to play the same number of playoff games as Div 2. It also eliminates the 1st round bye for district champs in AA, which is a good thing. AAAA, and AAAAA have had this for a while now and somehow, they manage to crown state champions on the weekend before Christmas week and the teams that win these championships still haven't apologized yet.

This....let four teams in...the bad teams get beat in the first round but there are plenty of good 4th place teams also...the 4th place team from 16-3A (Gilmer, Kilgore, Henderson, Bullard); 17-3A (Waco Connally, Waco LaVega, Robinson, Lorena, China Spring); 25-3A (El Campo, Bellville, Sealy, Wharton); 26-3A (Giddings, Cuero, LaGrange, Gonzales, Yoakum, Smithville) are worthy playoff teams....I'd rather let in a few bad playoff teams than leave out some excellent playoff teams. It'll all work itself out

Ville-D
10-23-2012, 09:30 AM
This....let four teams in...the bad teams get beat in the first round but there are plenty of good 4th place teams also...the 4th place team from 16-3A (Gilmer, Kilgore, Henderson, Bullard); 17-3A (Waco Connally, Waco LaVega, Robinson, Lorena, China Spring); 25-3A (El Campo, Bellville, Sealy, Wharton); 26-3A (Giddings, Cuero, LaGrange, Gonzales, Yoakum, Smithville) are worthy playoff teams....I'd rather let in a few bad playoff teams than leave out some excellent playoff teams. It'll all work itself out

Don't forget Venus... :spitlol:

Matthew328
10-23-2012, 09:34 AM
Venus will finish 7-3 and miss the playoffs....

I also agree there needs to be a reward for winning district....a first round home game is a good start

Pendragon13
10-23-2012, 10:12 AM
I do like the home field advantage for district champs, (we could have been doing that all along though) and having the Div1-Div2 SC on the same weekend (which could be accomplished with a bye week for everyone in D1) but four teams still waters things down a bit. The argument that the "fourth" team could possibly run the table is valid...but most years that team will go out in the first 2 rounds. I see the playoffs as a reward for the hard work and dedication that started with off-season workouts in the spring, continued through the summer heat and culminated with beating your district rivals for the privilege of extending your season. Like I mentioned earlier, this could become very NFL-like with coaches resting key players knowing that a certain district loss won't keep them out of the playoffs..

kaorder1999
10-23-2012, 10:20 AM
Sulphur Springs won a State Title as a 3rd place team...

Indian 1985
10-23-2012, 12:16 PM
This only seems to be another ploy to increase ticket revenue, by adding unnecessary games.
I fail to see any real advantage of switching to a 4 playoff team system.

Saggy Aggie
10-23-2012, 12:21 PM

so did Henderson right?

I really hope there arent any 5 team districts though with 4 making the playoffs. Thats super gay.

I also like the idea of a first round home game for district champs.

Sville
10-23-2012, 12:24 PM

So did North Crowley in 2003. They had some keys injuries and started 2-4, they got healthy and won their last 10 and a SC.

bigwood33
10-23-2012, 12:28 PM
And I think that Wylie HS (not AW) played for one as a 4th place team 2 or 3 years ago but lost. I just don't understand why it matters to anyone. It only adds 1 round to the Div 1 playoffs. It does not water down the playoffs.

Indian 1985
10-23-2012, 12:32 PM
I just don't understand why it matters to anyone. It only adds 1 round to the Div 1 playoffs. It does not water down the playoffs.
I really don't care one way or the other. I just don't see an advantage to it.
It ain't like the UIL is going to listen to us prattle on, in forums like this anyway! LOL

Pendragon13
10-23-2012, 02:04 PM
And I think that Wylie HS (not AW) played for one as a 4th place team 2 or 3 years ago but lost. I just don't understand why it matters to anyone. It only adds 1 round to the Div 1 playoffs. It does not water down the playoffs.I don't think it waters down the actual playoff games in and of itself, (though some would argue that it's already that way with 3 teams) but rather district play. With each additional qualifier per district..the accomplishment (and drama) of beating other teams in your district holds a little less meaning. Why bother busting your butt to go undefeated in district (and risk beating your players up to do it) when you know that two wins over the right teams is all you really need?

kaorder1999
10-23-2012, 02:22 PM
I dont like the Home Field for District Champs. Ive seen too many District Champs beaten in the first round to justify it.

Ville-D
10-23-2012, 02:27 PM
I dont like the Home Field for District Champs. Ive seen too many District Champs beaten in the first round to justify it.

It was not voted on. It was tabled. I think it is a good idea.

Matthew328
10-23-2012, 02:27 PM
I just like it because it gives a little meaning to actually winning your district

Pendragon13
10-23-2012, 02:54 PM
I dont like the Home Field for District Champs. Ive seen too many District Champs beaten in the first round to justify it.I disagree, back when I was playing, winning district was not only for bragging rights/trophy but also meant a trip to the playoffs while everyone else had to watch. Giving first round home field advantage to district winners adds back some of the incentive that's been missing for years..

bigwood33
10-23-2012, 03:03 PM
I don't think it waters down the actual playoff games in and of itself, (though some would argue that it's already that way with 3 teams) but rather district play. With each additional qualifier per district..the accomplishment (and drama) of beating other teams in your district holds a little less meaning. Why bother busting your butt to go undefeated in district (and risk beating your players up to do it) when you know that two wins over the right teams is all you really need?
As I said earlier. AAAA, and AAAAA already have 4 teams making the playoffs from each district and the potential issues that you mention have never been an issue. I really don't think you will see any less drama. In fact, you could see more since games later in the season may still mean something to the teams playing.

Third
10-23-2012, 08:54 PM
Bandera is another third place team that won a title in 2003. I also like the home field game for district champs. It adds meaning to winning the title. As for watering down the playoffs, if it all gets settled on the field anyways, what does it matter? Just like the college hoops tourney, it adds a little drama when the underdog can pull out an upset win.

Txbroadcaster
10-23-2012, 08:56 PM
I think the thing people are forgetting...3A sups are going to vote for split division that wont even matter to 98% of the 3A schools because they will be going to 4A..

Eagle1
10-23-2012, 08:56 PM
The 1st round may have some bad games, but there are bad games now. By the 3rd round the wimps will all have been sent packing and the good football will be on. This still does not make things real even as you can still have a school with 500 kids playing a school with over 800 in the small school division.

Matthew328
10-24-2012, 08:36 AM
confirmed with the UIL, 3A split division vote will follow up to 4A

marler1972
10-24-2012, 10:42 AM
From when they announced this they said the change from 3a to 4a was IN NAME ONLY.

Matthew328
10-24-2012, 11:25 AM
Thats correct, the current 3A will pretty much be 4A in 2014 with a few normal realignment shuffling..