Roughneck93
10-21-2012, 11:50 AM
Kickoff coming up.

Dallas by 3.

Indian 1985
10-21-2012, 12:07 PM
Kickoff coming up.

Dallas by 3.

I've been a Dallas Cowboy fan all my life, but im not holding my breath, waiting for a win here.
It wouldn't surprise my if the Panthers jump up & bite Dallas in the butt today.

If Dallas shows up to play, they win by 10+.
If they bring their usual, can't pass, can't catch, penalty ridden, no discipline garbage of late... Panthers win by 17.

Roughneck93
10-21-2012, 12:12 PM
I've been a Dallas Cowboy fan all my life, but im not holding my breath, waiting for a win here.
It wouldn't surprise my if the Panthers jump up & bite Dallas in the butt today.

If Dallas shows up to play, they win by 10+.
If they bring their usual, can't pass, can't catch, penalty ridden, no discipline garbage of late... Panthers win by 17.

Believe me...I am not holding my breath either.

Dallas may let Cam Newton look like an All-Pro today.

Didn't take long at all for the penalties and lack of discipline to show up either (Dez).

lbjacj
10-21-2012, 12:13 PM
Idiot Bryant slaps the guy in the helmet to put them in a hole early! friggin Moron!

Indian 1985
10-21-2012, 12:23 PM
Idiot Bryant slaps the guy in the helmet to put them in a hole early! friggin Moron!

Yup.

Indian 1985
10-21-2012, 12:26 PM
And, Dez can't catch.

Bullaholic
10-21-2012, 12:35 PM
Sic em' Farmer---Romo did just miss a wide-open Austin for 6---anymore like that and I'll be on the Farmer wagon...

Farmersfan
10-21-2012, 12:37 PM
Opening Kickoff out of bounds! 2 penalties in the first 4 plays of the game! Felix takes himself out of the game on first touch of game!(did come back in). QB is almost 10/10 to start the game (by basically throwing everything about 3 yards or less) but misses a short TD pass in the end zone to a wide open receiver! Total domination by the Cowboys and they get just 3 points out of it. I would say same ol' Cowboys!

Indian 1985
10-21-2012, 12:43 PM
At least #88 (Panthers) can catch a ball...

Indian 1985
10-21-2012, 12:45 PM
Panthers QB Newton got some legs on him... But he pulled a Romo & got picked off in the end zone. :)

Roughneck93
10-21-2012, 12:48 PM
Nice, finally force a turnover...

Txbroadcaster
10-21-2012, 12:56 PM
Wow Miles...just Wow...Dallas might have the dumbest WR corp in football

and now Costa is hurt

Farmersfan
10-21-2012, 12:57 PM
How in the hell do some of these guys still have NFL jobs?

Txbroadcaster
10-21-2012, 01:13 PM
Thanks Miles

Indian 1985
10-21-2012, 01:20 PM

Good question.
Unfortunately, I don't have a good answer.

Farmersfan
10-21-2012, 01:45 PM
If the offense doesn't do something is possession I'm heading out to mow the grass! Tired of the nonsense...

coach
10-21-2012, 01:49 PM
Yep, it's official. Romo sucks.

Roughneck93
There we go...:clap:

Txbroadcaster

because Miles does that...so dang frustrating to know guys like Austin and Bryant CAN be one of the best 1-2 WR combos in the league but cant get out of their own way most of the time

Indian 1985
10-21-2012, 01:50 PM
Well, well.... There is some life left in Dallas.
It is about time they got into the end zone!

Indian 1985
10-21-2012, 01:51 PM
Sorry, double post.

coach
10-21-2012, 01:52 PM
I'll put a bill down that Dallas' D can't stop them on this drive.

coach
10-21-2012, 01:59 PM
Well, I'm glad no one took my wager. Now offense, go score. Run the ball and set up the pap and go score.

coach
10-21-2012, 02:06 PM
False start and a drop kills the drive....

Txbroadcaster
10-21-2012, 02:08 PM
False start and a drop kills the drive....

yea all Romo's fault of course

Macarthur
10-21-2012, 02:09 PM
Here's the thing, many of us have been clamoring to run more, but the problem is, when you don't cash in or have a mistake or two, you have just shortened the game.

coach
10-21-2012, 02:15 PM
Romo bashing in 3,2,1

Macarthur
10-21-2012, 02:16 PM
He got away w one there.

Indian 1985
10-21-2012, 02:17 PM
Is #50 on the Panthers an ex Cowboy?
He can't catch either!
Romo threw it right to him.

Farmersfan
10-21-2012, 02:19 PM
Romo bashing in 3,2,1

Regular Romo pick 6 dropped by the defender! I really have no doubt the defense will quit. Most would after watching this offense..............

Indian 1985
10-21-2012, 02:24 PM
And, Dallas penalties give Carolina a TD.

Txbroadcaster
10-21-2012, 02:25 PM
penalties..smh...same thing over and over

coach
10-21-2012, 02:26 PM
Ok I was a drive off. And once again our stupidity comes out. How in the hell do you think it's a pick 6? And why in the hell do you think is ok for the d to quit? Do you think the o is going to quit ow after the d gave up an easy 7? I bet they don't.

Indian 1985
10-21-2012, 02:27 PM
Now that Dallas is down by 1, in the 4th Q, any bets on Romo getting happy feet and throwing pics?

Macarthur
10-21-2012, 02:33 PM
Ok I was a drive off. And once again our stupidity comes out. How in the hell do you think it's a pick 6? And why in the hell do you think is ok for the d to quit? Do you think the o is going to quit ow after the d gave up an easy 7? I bet they don't.

coach don't you get it? Everything is Romos fault.

Bullaholic
10-21-2012, 02:36 PM
Ever notice that nearly every Dallas secondary defender arm tackles? Not much hitting there...

Eagle 1
10-21-2012, 02:38 PM
coach don't you get it? Everything is Romos fault.

True. If Romo had hit wide open Miles in the endzone in the 1st qtr we wouldn't be having this conversation.

None the less, after another losing season does Jones fire Garrett?

Indian 1985
10-21-2012, 02:43 PM
Romo missed a WIDE OPEN Witten!
Could have been an easy TD.

Eagle 1
10-21-2012, 02:43 PM
Romo missed a WIDE OPEN Witten!
Could have been an easy TD.

Yep.

Txbroadcaster
10-21-2012, 02:45 PM
he did not miss Witten..as Moose said pressure forced Romo to pull it down

and lets blame Romo for putting it right in Bryant's arms and Dez dropping it

Eagle 1
10-21-2012, 02:46 PM
he did not miss Witten..as Moose said pressure forced Romo to pull it down

and lets blame Romo for putting it right in Bryant's arms and Dez dropping it

Witten wouldn't have dropped it.

Bullaholic
10-21-2012, 02:47 PM
Cowboys seem like they were playing for a FG and would take a TD if it happened....

Txbroadcaster
10-21-2012, 02:48 PM
Witten wouldn't have dropped it.

yea even though he leads team in drops lol

but moot point..Romo never had a chance to even see Witten open on that play

Roughneck93
10-21-2012, 02:49 PM
This won't be enough...

Eagle 1
10-21-2012, 02:49 PM
yea even though he leads team in drops lol

but moot point..Romo never had a chance to even see Witten open on that play

What a shame, the BEST player on the team leads the team with drops, and that's all that some focus on.

Indian 1985
10-21-2012, 02:52 PM
Game is a lot closer than I thought it would be.

Txbroadcaster
10-21-2012, 02:52 PM
What a shame, the BEST player on the team leads the team with drops, and that's all that some focus on.

Ware is best player on team..and I was just having fun with that comment because we all know that was just a strange couple of weeks for Witten who prob came back to early from injury

Bullaholic
10-21-2012, 02:55 PM
Did you guys just hear that bullet zing by? :D

Eagle 1
10-21-2012, 02:55 PM
Ware is best player on team..and I was just having fun with that comment because we all know that was just a strange couple of weeks for Witten who prob came back to early from injury

Ware is the best on the defense when he shows up, but Witten is the best player on the team every week. IMO.

Roughneck93
10-21-2012, 02:56 PM
Please get a first down Dallas.

Txbroadcaster
10-21-2012, 02:57 PM
Ware is the best on the defense when he shows up, but Witten is the best player on the team every week. IMO.

yea I will take Ware all day and every day..I like Witten, but he does not take over games...Ware has one of the highest motors in the league....Ware top D player in NFL..Witten, top 5 at his position

Indian 1985
10-21-2012, 02:58 PM
Did you guys just hear that bullet zing by? :D
2:00 left.
Dallas still has plenty of time to find a way to lose this game.
LOL

Eagle 1
10-21-2012, 03:00 PM
yea I will take Ware all day and every day..I like Witten, but he does not take over games...Ware has one of the highest motors in the league....Ware top D player in NFL..Witten, top 5 at his position

We are not talking about the NFL, we are talking about the team. Remember? How many team records does Witten hold compared to Ware?

Txbroadcaster
10-21-2012, 03:04 PM
We are not talking about the NFL, we are talking about the team. Remember? How many team records does Witten hold compared to Ware?

both have multiple team records..i will check later but I will say both have over 5

Bullaholic
10-21-2012, 03:05 PM
Newton is on the bus just looking at him....don't think he has comeback heroics in him today. We'll see...

Eagle 1
10-21-2012, 03:06 PM
This would be a good point in the game for Ware to prove his worth.

Indian 1985
10-21-2012, 03:10 PM
Well, I'm pleasantly surprised that Dallas didn't self-destruct.

Bullaholic
10-21-2012, 03:11 PM
A W is a W by any other name and smells as sweet....Cowboys 3-3.

Roughneck93
10-21-2012, 03:12 PM
I'll take it...:2thumbsup

raider red 2000
10-21-2012, 04:00 PM
A W is a W by any other name and smells as sweet....Cowboys 3-3.
Maybe Carolina wanted that L worse :)

coach
10-21-2012, 08:24 PM
Great leadership by romo today. He willed his team to victory. He won this game all by himself and no help from anyone else. Great job!

Indian 1985
10-21-2012, 08:52 PM
Great leadership by romo today. He willed his team to victory. He won this game all by himself and no help from anyone else. Great job!

LOL :fnypost:

Farmersfan
10-22-2012, 09:01 AM
Time after time after time when the players on this team makes big mistakes they flash the camera on Jason Garrett and he isn't even showing a look of disappointment. He is as unemotional as he can get. On the other hand, Rob Ryan is the polar opposite with his emotions. Although I don't see him directing it at any specific player he certainly shows his displeasure on the sidelines. I often think that the problem with this team is a lack of discipline and a lack of accountability. Some might say that these are professionals and they should not have to be motivated or disciplined by a coach but i disagree. Seems to me that playing in the NFL can turn into "Just another job" very quickly if the atmosphere around the organization isn't a motivational atmosphere. And I certainly can't imagine playing for THESE Dallas Cowboys would inspire much pride and self respect anymore. I see interviews with some of the players and they seem to be completely oblivious to the fact that they are part of the group of players who have taken America's Team and the most popular franchise in all of sports and turned it into a laughing stock of the NFL or a punchline to a joke. These guys don't really know about the history of the Dallas Cowboys. They don't know about the respect the Cowboys got from not only national media but from other teams. Playing the Dallas Cowboys in the past (even during down years) was a chore and teams knew they were going to have to bring a lunch to get it done. Now the Cowboys aren't feared or respected in the least. It makes me sad to see how far down the list these Cowboys have fallen. Things have gotten pretty dang bad when you are viewed as a lesser threat than teams like Detroit, Arizona and the Bengals. Where once the bench mark for success for this team was a Superbowl or at the very least a NFC championship game, now we just cross our fingers that they can backdoor into the playoffs. As a fan base we don't even anticipate them winning a single playoff game anymore. Just please make the playoffs and we will be happy. How sad it that? And does all this go back to Jerry Jones? I think it does. This is a different NFL than the Cowboy's of old use to deal with. Free agency and player salary caps require a franchise have "Football People" in place to pick up the diamonds in the rough and to draft quality players. But more importantly than just picking up talent is picking up the right attitudes. NFL football in my opinion is about 75% attitude. Far, far too often mental mistakes make the difference in winning and losing. They all can play. But some have a winning attitude and some don't. The Cowboys waste far too much time on the Dez Bryants, Marty B's and M. Jenkins of the world to ever build a quality franchise. Jerry Jones spent far too much time nursing players like Terrance Newman through injuries and attitude problems. For several years we watched T. New give us less than 100% on the field and get away with it. This franchise needs a Bill Belichick who will require effort or you don't play. Did everyone see how the Yankees sat Alex Rodriguez in the playoffs? It certainly didn't help this year but I promise you it made a huge difference in the locker room for the future.
So hypothetical: If you were put in charge of the Dallas Cowboys TODAY, what would you do to turn around the team? What would your short term efforts to improve the team be and what would your long term efforts to improve the team be? And do you think sacrificing the short term for the sake of the long term is justified. Or is this all or nothing right now kind of league these days?

Macarthur
10-22-2012, 09:16 AM
Time after time after time when the players on this team makes big mistakes they flash the camera on Jason Garrett and he isn't even showing a look of disappointment. He is as unemotional as he can get. On the other hand, Rob Ryan is the polar opposite with his emotions. Although I don't see him directing it at any specific player he certainly shows his displeasure on the sidelines. I often think that the problem with this team is a lack of discipline and a lack of accountability.

I have been a big fan of JG because I thought he had some Landry in him. There's are lots of different styles and you can win with crazy coaches like Madden and you can win with guys like Lovie. I have been a big fan of JG's rhetoric and his approach. Unfortunately, when the same of stuff continues to happen, it starts to become empty rhetoric. If they aren't able to do something this season, I think there is a big risk of JG losing this team and this fan base. I do think JG has brought in some quality guys since he's been running things, but I wonder if it's going to be too little too late.

I also think the low IQ of this team is part of their DNA. If you remember, when Parcells was here, they had penalty problems. Remember the Parcells press conference where he said he doesn't coach penalties? I think it goes deeper and I think this franchise has taken on the personna of it's leader, JJ. It's more about flash than substance.

Farmersfan
10-22-2012, 09:26 AM
My plan:

#1. I would start a campaign of accountability. You perform or you don't play. I know I would lose a lot of talent this way but I will not pay a high salary to a player who isn't producing. Short term harm for long term benefit. Dez Bryant would be put on notice. Learn the routes, catch the ball, stop the off field nonsense and continue to collect a pay check. Otherwise, SEE YA!!!!!! Kevin Ogletree won the 3rd receiver spot with performance. It is not acceptable for him to disappear now. Mile Austin is too fragile and doesn't produce when he is healthy. Too much money and too little productivity. See, if this team is going to be 8-8 with this much talent then heads must roll. I would prefer they all be fired and we start over with bad players or less talented players who will give us 100%. Once that atmosphere is in place then you can go out and bring in high priced talent that wants to play. Attitude is like cancer. You can't treat it with patchwork or filling in the gaps with new talent. The attitude cancer has to be cut out first. Hire a Bill Bilicheck type coach and let him clean house... If the team is going to go 8-8 again and miss the playoffs then i would just as much prefer they go 6-10 and clean out the goofballs..................

Macarthur
10-22-2012, 09:31 AM
I tend to agree on WR. I think that is one area that it seems to be a ton of mental mistakes made.

I'd like to see Harris and Holmes get some snaps.

Txbroadcaster
10-22-2012, 09:31 AM
My plan:

#1. I would start a campaign of accountability. You perform or you don't play. I know I would lose a lot of talent this way but I will not pay a high salary to a player who isn't producing. Short term harm for long term benefit. Dez Bryant would be put on notice. Learn the routes, catch the ball, stop the off field nonsense and continue to collect a pay check. Otherwise, SEE YA!!!!!! Kevin Ogletree won the 3rd receiver spot with performance. It is not acceptable for him to disappear now. Mile Austin is too fragile and doesn't produce when he is healthy. Too much money and too little productivity. See, if this team is going to be 8-8 with this much talent then heads must roll. I would prefer they all be fired and we start over with bad players or less talented players who will give us 100%. Once that atmosphere is in place then you can go out and bring in high priced talent that wants to play. Attitude is like cancer. You can't treat it with patchwork or filling in the gaps with new talent. The attitude cancer has to be cut out first. Hire a Bill Bilicheck type coach and let him clean house... If the team is going to go 8-8 again and miss the playoffs then i would just as much prefer they go 6-10 and clean out the goofballs..................

Here is the roblem with that thinking...if you clean house now, you still have salaries on the book for the next couple of years....and BTW the Bill Belecheck style is 4-3 right now after ANOTHER 4th Q collapse by the Pats that they saved with a OT win( all 3 loses by the Pats are after they have leadsi n 4THQ)

Folks this is the NFL today...almost everyone is 4-3,3-3,3-4....because no team can truly find a full roster of players that can be counted on

Farmersfan
10-22-2012, 09:46 AM
I have been a big fan of JG because I thought he had some Landry in him. There's are lots of different styles and you can win with crazy coaches like Madden and you can win with guys like Lovie. I have been a big fan of JG's rhetoric and his approach. Unfortunately, when the same of stuff continues to happen, it starts to become empty rhetoric. If they aren't able to do something this season, I think there is a big risk of JG losing this team and this fan base. I do think JG has brought in some quality guys since he's been running things, but I wonder if it's going to be too little too late.

I also think the low IQ of this team is part of their DNA. If you remember, when Parcells was here, they had penalty problems. Remember the Parcells press conference where he said he doesn't coach penalties? I think it goes deeper and I think this franchise has taken on the personna of it's leader, JJ. It's more about flash than substance.

I agree with this 100%. The "Flash before Substance" comment is exactly what Jerry brings to this franchise.
So how do you motivate grown men to play at their very best level and to be "in the game" and not simply going through the motions?

Macarthur
10-22-2012, 09:56 AM
You might disagree. w me, but I don't think effort is the issue. I think if these guys weren't giving full effort, they would be winless.

Its about focus and handling adversity. I wouldn't begin to know what it would take to fix it, but JG is making aabout $5 million so he better get it done.

Farmersfan
10-22-2012, 09:56 AM
Here is the roblem with that thinking...if you clean house now, you still have salaries on the book for the next couple of years....and BTW the Bill Belecheck style is 4-3 right now after ANOTHER 4th Q collapse by the Pats that they saved with a OT win( all 3 loses by the Pats are after they have leadsi n 4THQ)

Folks this is the NFL today...almost everyone is 4-3,3-3,3-4....because no team can truly find a full roster of players that can be counted on

New England Patriots 11 years under Bill Bilicheck have 3 Superbowl wins and 6 AFC championships. They have a winning percentage of over 650%. Nobody with any real football knowledge thinks Belichick will allow this kind of play to continue without making some major changes. The Cowboys are 3-3 and this is exactly what we have been watching for well over a decade. How is this the same thing?
And no team can find a FULL roster of players that can be counted on but the truely successful teams address the players that prove they can't be counted on. That is the difference between a Belicheck lead team and the Dallas Cowboys. The Cowboys try to nurse underachievers along year after year after year. The Patriots don't!

Eagle 1
10-22-2012, 09:58 AM
So hypothetical: If you were put in charge of the Dallas Cowboys TODAY, what would you do to turn around the team?

l would hire a good hc, stay out of his business, and the rest would take care of itself.
Jerry Jones is the root of the problem. Flat, plain, and simple.

Bullaholic
10-22-2012, 10:01 AM
I agree with this 100%. So how do you motivate grown men to play at their very best level and to be "in the game" and not simply going through the motions?

1. You get players who have at least a core of character and reasonable intelligence levels no matter how good "they look in the shower' to Jerry, and charge them with the responsibility of doing a job and holding them accountable every week.

2. You allow the HC to bench or trade slackers, non-performers, and troublemakers on and off the field, no matter who they are or how much they make, just as Tom Landry did.

3. You get a Ray Lewis or Charles Haley in the locker room to call out players not doing the job, and interpret the "Princeton playbook" in street terminology.

4. As HC you communicate openly, clearly, and honestly what you expect---even if it takes getting in the faces of some players when they mess up over and over. Jerry would have to back this up 100%

Maroon87
10-22-2012, 10:07 AM
If Jerry truly cared about winning over being the "face" of the franchise, he'd hire a respected personnel guy to run the football operation while he focused on the business and marketing side. He has enough money to get whomever he wants, but his ego is too big to ever do that.

Farmersfan
10-22-2012, 10:14 AM
You might disagree. w me, but I don't think effort is the issue. I think if these guys weren't giving full effort, they would be winless.

Its about focus and handling adversity. I wouldn't begin to know what it would take to fix it, but JG is making aabout $5 million so he better get it done.

Perhaps it isn't effort that concerns me. Maybe I should have said desire. Example: It jumps off the screen at me every single time to watch Felix Jones run the football. If I was the coach of the Cowboys I would have to question why Felix gets up after every single play and looks to the sidelines for relief. Maybe I am hoping for too much but i would expect my NFL RB to run hsutle back to the huddle and EXPECT to carry the ball again. Felix acts like he is being burdened with being asked to carry the football. Watch his facial expressions after every play. It's like he desperately wants out of the game. A lot of the players on this team are just a step behind or a arms reach away from catching the pass or making the play. How often do we see Miles Austin get over thrown and on the replay see that he was running half speed in his break or how Dez rounds off his routes or how Jason Witten misses a huge block that would have sprang the back for a big play? It happens all the time. This team as a group doesn't hustle on the back side of plays. The receivers barely come out of their stances when the play goes the other way. The backside blockers on the line are so lax that just a little effort from the defense gets them beat and he runs down the play from behind. Yesterday on a 3rd and 4 they pitch to Jones and he goes wide left. Miles Austin puts so little effort into his block attempt that his man makes the tackle on Felix Jones or Felix goes for 30 yards on the run. You can see these lack of effort examples from every player on pretty much every play. Do the coaches not see these in the film room? It is obvious to me that they either see them and try to correct them and the players aren't listening or they don't see them or just don't care about them. Either way it is a problem.

Indian 1985
10-22-2012, 12:22 PM
Jerry Jones is the root of the problem. Flat, plain, and simple.

Q. Why does the new Cowboys Stadium have a hole in the roof, like the old Texas Stadium?

A. So Jerry Jones' ego can fit inside the building.

JJ needs to sign the checks and stay out of everything else. Let the coaches coach!

Farmersfan
10-22-2012, 02:32 PM
Romo sucks! Romo sucks! Romo Sucks!.......................

Macarthur
10-22-2012, 02:34 PM
Romo sucks! Romo sucks! Romo Sucks!.......................

I knew you couldn't go a,week. :)

Macarthur
10-22-2012, 02:52 PM
1. You get players who have at least a core of character and reasonable intelligence levels no matter how good "they look in the shower' to Jerry, and charge them with the responsibility of doing a job and holding them accountable every week.

I think JG has started the process of bringing guys in w high character and high intangibles. It does take some time to turn over a roster.

2. You allow the HC to bench or trade slackers, non-performers, and troublemakers on and off the field, no matter who they are or how much they make, just as Tom Landry did.

Again, I think he's started some of this. Be careful about evoking the 'old days' regarding the cowboys. They had plenty of off the field issues and Landry allowed some of it. Hollywood Henderson anyone?

3. You get a Ray Lewis or Charles Haley in the locker room to call out players not doing the job, and interpret the "Princeton playbook" in street terminology.

How about ware, witten, lee?

4. As HC you communicate openly, clearly, and honestly what you expect---even if it takes getting in the faces of some players when they mess up over and over. Jerry would have to back this up 100%

Well, without being in the room, we really don't know how we'll Garrett communicates these things. We do know that we're not seeing the results on the field.

And we need get real about 'getting in players faces'. First, name me a coach that does get in players faces. That just doesn't happen much in the nfl. The players are just not the same as years gone by. And given JGs personality, this would be out of character for him and therefore disingenuous.

Lastly, you shouldn't have to yell and scream at guys. Tony dungy, lovie, belicheck are a couple of examples of guys that don't act like raving lunatics to get their message across.

Bullaholic
10-22-2012, 03:21 PM
Agree with 1, some on 3, although non of those players seems to be a team leader-- 2 and 4, no way---it's football, not ballet...I wouldn't take a poll on how many Cowboys fans want the "old days" back, either. Ever heard of Tom Coughlin or Bill Cowher to name a couple who "old schooled" their teams to success?

Macarthur
10-22-2012, 03:47 PM
Agree with 1, some on 3, although non of those players seems to be a team leader-- 2 and 4, no way---it's football, not ballet...I wouldn't take a poll on how many Cowboys fans want the "old days" back, either. Ever heard of Tom Coughlin or Bill Cowher to name a couple who "old schooled" their teams to success?

There are very few guys that can do this. Cowher hasn't coached in a decade. Coughlin was very close to being run out of town before NY went on their run late 07. Coughlin admitted that he was too hard and has significantly adjusted the way he handles players.

You missed my point about the old days. My point was that its a falicy for you to say the cowboys didn't have problems in the old days. My comment was not about winning or losing; it was this line of thinking that players being a problem is something new.

Again, the point is that there are tons of coaches that have success and don't have to yell and scream at people.

I actually find it ironic that cowboys fans that hold Landry in such high regard seem to think that now we have to have a coach that chews everyone's ass out.

Bullaholic
10-22-2012, 04:03 PM
Sorry, mac--I'm intractable on the "old school" philosophy and all the debate in the world is not about to change that. I only know this much---if I'm going into battle--I want another "old school" guy in that foxhole with me.

Macarthur
10-22-2012, 04:19 PM
Sorry, mac--I'm intractable on the "old school" philosophy and all the debate in the world is not about to change that. I only know this much---if I'm going into battle--I want another "old school" guy in that foxhole with me.

I tell you what, you can have bill cowher and I'll take Tom Landry. I like my chances.

Look, I'm not saying that guys like cowher are bad or can't win. I'm just saying that you dont HAVE to be a hard ass to win.

Bullaholic
10-22-2012, 04:36 PM
I tell you what, you can have bill cowher and I'll take Tom Landry. I like my chances.

Look, I'm not saying that guys like cowher are bad or can't win. I'm just saying that you dont HAVE to be a hard ass to win.

You're way off, mac---I'd take Landry over Cowher any day. These Cowboys NEED a Cowher or a Coughlin, or a man of the stature and latitude of Tom Landry--THAT is what I am saying.

Farmersfan
10-23-2012, 09:09 AM
There are very few guys that can do this. Cowher hasn't coached in a decade. Coughlin was very close to being run out of town before NY went on their run late 07. Coughlin admitted that he was too hard and has significantly adjusted the way he handles players.

You missed my point about the old days. My point was that its a falicy for you to say the cowboys didn't have problems in the old days. My comment was not about winning or losing; it was this line of thinking that players being a problem is something new.

Again, the point is that there are tons of coaches that have success and don't have to yell and scream at people.

I actually find it ironic that cowboys fans that hold Landry in such high regard seem to think that now we have to have a coach that chews everyone's ass out.

"Getting in their faces" is a bit of a false impression. I don't think a coach can actually get in players faces and scream and yell at them and embarrass them in public. I was referring more the general idea of a coach walking over to a player, getting in his face and telling him what he just did was unacceptable and he just received strike 2. Tom Landry didn't yell and scream at players but I promise you they knew without a doubt when they were in the dog house. Even those coaches that walk softly MUST carry a big stick. Jason Garrett walks softly and seems to carry NO STICK at all. That is a losing combination in my opinion. A coach that does either one to extremes is short lived in this modern NFL. Jimmy Johnson was just about done in Dallas when he chose to leave because he was right on the verge of losing the entire team. Modern players will rebel against all discipline and no love. Bill Cowher and even Parcels in his hayday had a way of making the player know they were appreciated even as they were being screamed at. I don't think Jimmy Johnson had that. I think a lot of it also depends on the individual player. I don't think Dez Bryant will ever respond to anyone who is nice to him. I think he needs someone who will get in his face and put him in his place. I think he is way too arrogant and self important and he will only get better if someone teaches him that he isn't all that and bag of chips! I might take being cut to force him to realize that his talent won't permit whatever he wants to do. Unfortunantly once the Cowboys cut him or trade him he will go on to have a Hall of Fame career............... But you have to do what you have to do.

Farmersfan
10-23-2012, 09:14 AM
II'm just saying that you dont HAVE to be a hard ass to win.

I disagree! To win consistently over a long period of time a coach has to be a "Hard Ass" from a discipline standpoint. Being a hard ass doesn't necessarily mean yelling and screaming. But you have to have standards of performance and atttitude and you must be a hard ass about those standards..............

Bullaholic
10-23-2012, 09:40 AM
I disagree! To win consistently over a long period of time a coach has to be a "Hard Ass" from a discipline standpoint. Being a hard ass doesn't necessarily mean yelling and screaming. But you have to have standards of performance and atttitude and you must be a hard ass about those standards..............

We don't always agree, Farmer, but we're on the same page with this one. Successful teams have HC's who have the the players respect/ fear through whatever means, yelling or fear of being benched or traded. And they have owners who give them this wide lattitude and allow them to make the team win their way. That has been lost in the NFL by a lot of coaches, including Garrett, I fear.

Farmersfan
10-23-2012, 09:53 AM
On another note I was watching the Bears vs Lions game last night and I caught myself thinking "Dang, it must suck being a Lions fans and watching your team find a way to lose every week. But then I realized this is exactly what we see every week from our team. So I started thinking about some of the differences between successful teams and not so successful teams over the last decade. It seems to me the biggest difference in successful teams and less than successful teams is the play of their QBs.

The Best winning percentages in order from 2000 to 2009:

Indy Colts
New England Patriots
Philly Eagles
Pittsburg Steelers
Green Bay Packers
Denver Broncos
Balimore Ravens
Tennessee Titans
New York Giants
Minnesota Vikings
San Diego Chargers
New Orleans Saints

With a few exceptions the best teams in the NFL have great QBs. Those who don't have great QBs have very effiecient QBs and outstanding defenses. (Ravens/Vikings). I can't really explain the Broncos except that maybe they are lucky enough to be in the AFC West with Oakland, San Diego and the Chiefs. Even a mediocre Broncos team is quaranteed 6 wins in that division.

BTW: Americas Team is 4 games over .500 during that time frame. There is only 2 divisions in the NFL with 3 teams over .500 during that time frame. NFC East and NFC North. The NFC East has by far the most playoff appearances of any division in the NFL with 20.

http://www.aolnews.com/2010/01/07/nfl-standings-for-the-decade-colts-patriots-are-the-best-lion/

Macarthur
10-23-2012, 01:31 PM
I think I need to clarify because I think we agree; we seem to be talking past each other.

When I talk about a coach not being a hard ass, I'm not talking about being void of discipline or accountability. Landry has both and, by all accounts, never yelled at players, a la parcels.

All I'm saying is that you can have success with a style that is less 'in your face'. That style must still have accountability there are plenty of examples of both styles of coaches having success.

Given JG's style, there has to be some accountability and discipline going on behind the scenes. The evidence now looks as if that's not the case. We'll see how the season plays out, but as I said earlier, he runs a real risk of losing this club unless things improve.

Farmersfan
10-23-2012, 02:20 PM
I think I need to clarify because I think we agree; we seem to be talking past each other.

When I talk about a coach not being a hard ass, I'm not talking about being void of discipline or accountability. Landry has both and, by all accounts, never yelled at players, a la parcels.

All I'm saying is that you can have success with a style that is less 'in your face'. That style must still have accountability there are plenty of examples of both styles of coaches having success.

Given JG's style, there has to be some accountability and discipline going on behind the scenes. The evidence now looks as if that's not the case. We'll see how the season plays out, but as I said earlier, he runs a real risk of losing this club unless things improve.

Yea, I agree. I'm thinking that behind the scenes it is almost entirely Jerry Jones call on everything. Even discipline.

Macarthur
10-23-2012, 03:53 PM
Yea, I agree. I'm thinking that behind the scenes it is almost entirely Jerry Jones call on everything. Even discipline.

You may be right and that scares the hell out of me.

buff4ever
10-23-2012, 03:53 PM

I think you may be right unfortunately. But that doesn't mean Romo doesn't suck, it just means Jones can't realize that.:wave:

regaleagle
10-23-2012, 09:09 PM
The Cowboys are so undisciplined as a team now, I'm worn out trying to hope for a consistent level of quality play. Watching the Texans and watching Dallas play football really shows what is missing in the Cowboy team concept.....there is none. How can any team expect to win when they aren't all on the same wavelength? Impossible. And that's just how I feel when I watch the Cowboys play....like it will be impossible for them to win enough games if they continue playing like individuals and not a team. And I don't think the issues fall solely on the players, either. This mentality needs to be fixed from the Top downward.