PDA

View Full Version : Bellville at Wharton

Scoop27
10-20-2012, 12:45 PM
Will the Tigers bounce back from Friday's loss 17-10 loss to El Campo?
The Tigers offense was non-existent in the second half.

Pudlugger
10-20-2012, 03:24 PM
I think Bellville's D wins. D for discipline and D for defense. Bellville by 7.
Can we get a poll on this thread?

sTxforlife
10-20-2012, 03:35 PM
I'm gonna have to take Wharton in this one, if the Tigers D can hold Wharton to 17 then it seems that their run defense is better than I thought so they should be able to handle Bellville. I hope they win because then the last game of the season between Sealy and Bellville will decide who gets the 3rd playoff spot. That would be a great atmosphere!!

Spanish Camp
10-20-2012, 06:17 PM
Not sure how Bellville and Wharton's games vs El Campo translate to the owing match- up. If talent wins, it's likely to be Wharton. However, Bellville could keep the ball away from Wharton. Both are very good teams.

I think the top teams in the region are beginning to shake out: (no order) El Campo, Wharton, Gonzalez, and perhaps Bellville if they win this week

Pudlugger
10-20-2012, 07:02 PM
Not sure how Bellville and Wharton's games vs El Campo translate to the owing match- up. If talent wins, it's likely to be Wharton. However, Bellville could keep the ball away from Wharton. Both are very good teams.

I think the top teams in the region are beginning to shake out: (no order) El Campo, Wharton, Gonzalez, and perhaps Bellville if they win this week

Of course at this point in the season after 7 games the best teams will shake out. You must have studied the John Madden style of analysis"If they would have caught that football they would have scored a touchdown" LOL.

BTW you left out La Grange.

Oh yeah, I'll take Bellville. If a good defense stays on the job and executes well Wharton can be contained. They are not well conditioned and Bellville should take control in the 4th quarter.

'Necks 2013-14
10-20-2012, 10:00 PM
Wharton by 10. JMHO.

raider red 2000
10-21-2012, 01:50 PM
Of course at this point in the season after 7 games the best teams will shake out. You must have studied the John Madden style of analysis"If they would have caught that football they would have scored a touchdown" LOL.

BTW you left out La Grange.

Oh yeah, I'll take Bellville. If a good defense stays on the job and executes well Wharton can be contained. They are not well conditioned and Bellville should take control in the 4th quarter.

Maybe la grange was left out because they are not a top team after 7 games. 😉

raider red 2000
10-21-2012, 01:51 PM
Whs in a close one.

Pudlugger
10-21-2012, 05:21 PM
Maybe la grange was left out because they are not a top team after 7 games. 

Well they are 6-1 beating Gonzales a top team and Smithville another team that would be contending for a play off spot in your district.:stirpot:

957tiger
10-22-2012, 01:56 PM
Wharton has a good team that can control the game, for a while. Case in point is the El Campo game. Wharton's goes up 10-0 . The defense is doing a good job of contain on El Campo's offense. It's a back and forth battle until the fourth quarter. El Campo is a big team. They play tough. #2 , 30 and 14 are top notch players. Wharton starts to commit the kinds of penalties that drives a coach crazy. As the game starts to wind down the discipline that was evident for three quarters breaks down. Wharton had its opportunity to win but didn't. I think that if Wharton limits the dumb stuff and plays football every down in every quarter they will be hard to beat. Bellville is about to see what all the buzz is about.

Manso/V8
10-22-2012, 03:02 PM
A couple observations from afar about the El Campo - Wharton game. First of all, it is a major rivalry game, and from what the EC posters said, you can pretty throw out the previous records because anything can and does happen. The EC posters said that the Ricebirds tried to give the game away several times, with two fumbles in their own territory in the first half. So, my guess is that Wharton didn't control the game like 957tiger is suggesting. From what I read about the Sealy - Wharton game, Sealy gave the game away in a comedy of errors in the final minute or even seconds of the game. I'm not doubting Wharton is a good team, for sure they have some good athletes........but if Bellville's running game is clicking, they can wear a team down, physically and emotionally. I doubt if Wharton has any more speed on defense than Bellville has in the backfield, so unless the Wharton defensive line is dominating, I think Bellville will be able to move the ball on the ground. Bellville is a disciplined team and that tends to drive teams like Wharton crazy and my guess is Wharton will create more than their share of penalties, just at the right time to keep a Bellville drive going, or maybe stop Wharton's own progress.

I think Wharton relies on the pass more than the run? That could be a problem for Bellville if their number on guy in the secondary is not back healthy from an ankle injury against El Campo, but the defense has been improving steadily, and you will likely see some of the better athletes from the offense rotating in on defense if required.

I don't know enough about Wharton predict a score, but I thnk Bellville comes out on top in this game.

Manso/V8
10-22-2012, 03:09 PM
BTW, pretty funny how both Sealy posters are giving the edge in this game to Wharton.
It sure would make them feel a whole lot better about the L they hung on themselves.
With Ricky out, and Jowan not at full speed, Sealy is really an average at best team IMO.
Other than those two, Sealy is mediocre at best........unless the rest of the team got a whole lot better.

It will be great if RSJ can return to action this week, it is a shame to see any kid sidelined, especially his senior year.

If he does return, I can already hear the squeals (from grown men) emanating from the Sealy stands "Go Ricky, Go Ricky!!" LOL!!

Pudlugger
10-22-2012, 03:21 PM
Manso good analysis. I have seen Wharton at Sealy and they have great talent but their o line and d line are poorly conditioned. If Bellville pounds the rock and wears down the defensive front they will start to pull ahead and score late in the game. I look for a tight game with Wharton leading by a td or so until midway in the 3rd when the Bulls grind out some tds to win the game. Bellville needs to keep the game tempo up with quick snaps and no huddles or short huddles keeping the Tiger defense on the field with ball control and wear down the defense. Sealy moved the ball well against Wharton with dives and misdirection plays, nothing fancy. Their o line got off the ball quickly and they kept up the pace. Wharton gets frustrated and commits too many needless penalties. Discipline and conditioning are hallmarks of Bellville football teams and that may provide the margin of victory. Bellville by 7-10. All this assuming Bellville plays a relatively error free game with little or no turnovers and few penalties.

Texas Forever
10-22-2012, 03:22 PM
Wharton had a fumble in the second half and a drop on a key first down in the second half as well. In addition the qb was injured in the first qtr and basically was hobbling around after that. They still managed to keep a 10-17 score. Every team has their own set of excuses. People were saying the EC/Wharton game would be a blowout. It was the first time that an undefeated EC has trailed all year. Both teams had fumbles and both teams had their fair share of penalties. Interesting how when Wharton wins it is either luck or because the other team had a bad night. And don't get me started on the lack of discipline comments that are posted on here week in and week out..

Saggy Aggie
10-22-2012, 03:38 PM
I like Wharton in a close one. Both are good teams, I'm just on the Tiger bandwagon again this year.

Manso/V8
10-22-2012, 03:40 PM
Wharton had a fumble in the second half and a drop on a key first down in the second half as well. In addition the qb was injured in the first qtr and basically was hobbling around after that. They still managed to keep a 10-17 score. Every team has their own set of excuses. People were saying the EC/Wharton game would be a blowout. It was the first time that an undefeated EC has trailed all year. Both teams had fumbles and both teams had their fair share of penalties. Interesting how when Wharton wins it is either luck or because the other team had a bad night. And don't get me started on the lack of discipline comments that are posted on here week in and week out..

Based on the smash mouth style game EC played against Wharton, I expected EC to have an easier time of it. I didn't say Wharton was undisciplined, Bellville can frustrate even the most disciplined teams.
EC was the undisciplined team when we played them, with 16 penalties, and a lot more obvious penalities that weren't called.

957tiger
10-22-2012, 04:06 PM
I was at the Wharton/ El Campo game and thought it was a good game. Clearly the smaller team on the field compared to El Campo yet they managed to hold the undefeated Ricebirds to just 10 points through three quarters of football. As for the QB situation he was injuried early in the game and could barely walk yet once in the game he gave it all he could. El Campo had their hands full as Wharton did contain a team who had out scored their opponents 266-78. I should not be surprised the Bellville crowd got excited because I said they are about to see what the buzz is about. Thats all I said they will be a hard team to beat if they play four quarters. I didn't question Bellville's talent, speed, desire, coach, cheerleaders, band or fans just implied it will be a good game.

And I would like to see what any team at any level would do if they lost four starters, several being two-way starters. We in Tigerland are extremely happy to have won games on the arm of an unproven Soph QB. Nope, no excuses here that we are playing with mostly unproven players many with little or no varsity experience. Yep, I can live with an average team that manges to win. This game is about talent and mental toughness. The Tigers have reached deep into the bag to find kids to step up. I for one am proud of them win or lose. By the way RS-J does run pretty good. Go Ricky Go! . 200 hundred plus yards before getting injured in week two. Bet folks in Brahma Land would be excited if they had him on their team.

Manso/V8
10-22-2012, 04:28 PM
Go Ricky Go! . 200 hundred plus yards before getting injured in week two. Bet folks in Brahma Land would be excited if they had him on their team.

Oh yeah, and I think he actually lives within the Bellville district boundries, but was his family's choice for him to go to Sealy since he was a little tyke.
We have suffered a number of injuries as well, we were down 4 starters not too long after the start of the EC game, but that's football.
The full return of one or two of those starters may be key for us to stay up with Wharton's speed.

I can imagine that Wharton's speed was a key in containing the Ricebirds.
Although, they have a very good team across the board and played a very physical game against us, I didn't see any Ricebirds with blazing speed.

speedbump
10-22-2012, 04:41 PM
What I saw was EC muff a punt and hand Wharton a quick seven. Then fumbled on the first play after the ensuing KO and Wharton managed a FG. During those two possessions Wharton managed at least three of their 6 first downs and about 50 of their 129 offensive yards. ECs defense completely dominated the Tigers from the FG on. Whartons D did play better than I expected but the emotional let down and the physical beating may make it hard for them to win against the Brahmas even at home. This game is a toss up in Wharton. At least they have HFA going for them.

Roughneck93
10-22-2012, 08:39 PM
I like Wharton in a close one. Both are good teams, I'm just on the Tiger bandwagon again this year.

Same here. I'll take the Tigers by 3.

zebrablue2
10-22-2012, 09:12 PM
Coach Rowe will find a way to win this game. Bulls by 10!!!

Football fan
10-22-2012, 10:11 PM
I wouldn't say Wharton "contained" EC's offense as much as EC contained themselves.

El Campo had four possessions in the first half.

1. Muffed punt
2. Fumble on first play of possession
3. TD
4. Got the ball with 1:30 left in the half and clock ran out.

El Campo didn't score as much as usual because they turned the ball over early and controlled the clock the rest of the way.

They only punted 1 time that I recall.

The Bull #40
10-23-2012, 11:06 AM
I'm looking forward to this game as I think the Brahmas are about ready to start playing their best football and make a push for the playoffs. With El Campo barely getting by Wharton, the Tigers seem like they may be the real deal. I hope to make the game because I want to see if the Brahma offense has figured out a way to add another dimension to their offense instead of just running dives and pitches, if the continue to do that they won't make it far in the playoffs if they make it at all. Our offensive line is no where near as good as last year and we don't dominate the line of scrimmage like we did. I also want to see how our defense handles this QB everyone's talking about. Prediction coming later in the week. Go Bulls.

"Clear eyes. Full hearts. Can't lose."

Pudlugger
10-24-2012, 06:50 AM
If Bellville does not turn the ball over or have needless penalties they can win this game. The Bull defense must contain the Tiger speed around the ends and the ability of their qb to make big plays on the scramble. Good pass coverage will go a long way to that end as the Tiger qb likes to try and make things happen when under pressure on the pass rush. This can create opportunities for interceptions. Good luck to the Bulls.

OLE'BULL
10-24-2012, 08:07 AM
If Bellville does not turn the ball over or have needless penalties they can win this game. The Bull defense must contain the Tiger speed around the ends and the ability of their qb to make big plays on the scramble. Good pass coverage will go a long way to that end as the Tiger qb likes to try and make things happen when under pressure on the pass rush. This can create opportunities for interceptions. Good luck to the Bulls.

I have been contemplating this one all week, OK, the last couple of weeks. I know that if the Brahmas can control the clock, run the ball as effectively as as last week, and be able to complete passes when needed, we will be ok. Like Pud said, our defense needs to be sound. Dont be afraid to take the big shot, but also know when to break down, contain, wrap up, grab cloth, and wait for the posse to get there. I dont see a whole lot of 3 and outs coming for the Brahma D, but a lot of "bend but dont break" scenarios. We will need to score some points offensively, and maybe squeek in a punt/kickoff return for a TD. I think Wharton surprised alot of folks in our district b/c I honestly thought it would go El Campo, Sealy, Bellville. I am hoping to make the trip and am expecting a good one. It will be nice to get one more big challenge before Sealy in 2 weeks. Needville next week will be a tune up and a time to work on some things that maybe we havent shown. I am taking the Bulls by a TD & a FG. 31-21. Go Brahmas!

Spanish Camp
10-24-2012, 12:23 PM
It will be hard for Wharton to get those kids up for a second week in a row. Wharton (the town) placed an enormous amount of significance on the El Campo game.

16 & 17 year olds are tough to manage. You never know how they are going to react to a loss that the town it so much stock in.

Pudlugger
10-24-2012, 12:38 PM
That's interesting. One thing I know though is that Bellville really wants this game. If they lose this game their chances of making the play offs go way down.

Scoop27
10-24-2012, 12:54 PM
Tigers could still lose to Bellville and make the playoffs. They will beat Royal on Nov. 2 in their final district game.
Or course the Belllville-Sealy game will be a factor too. I guess their could be a three way tie between Wharton, Sealy and Bellville. Columbus could get back in the hunt with an upset win over Sealy

Manso/V8
10-24-2012, 01:10 PM
In case of a two way, or a three way tie, how are the playoff spots determined?

Since Wharton beat Sealy, if those two have the same W-L record in district, would Wharton take the spot over Sealy?

If Bellville beats Wharton and loses to Sealy, but has the same W-L as Sealy, who goes?

hookandladder
10-24-2012, 02:39 PM
In case of a two way, or a three way tie, how are the playoff spots determined?

Since Wharton beat Sealy, if those two have the same W-L record in district, would Wharton take the spot over Sealy?

If Bellville beats Wharton and loses to Sealy, but has the same W-L as Sealy, who goes?

The good old point system, most likely.

The Bull #40
10-25-2012, 09:21 AM
I think Wharton will not rebound well from their loss to El Campo and the Brahmas will come out looking to win big...but I think it will be a close one. The Bellville D slows down the Tigers and runs over the Wharton defense. BULLS WIN 28-14.

"Clear eyes. Full hearts. Can't lose."

whitelightning5
10-25-2012, 11:13 AM
I hope that the players aren't as over-confident about this game as some of the fans. I've seen a few games this year. The first being the huge beat down of a weak Caldwell team, but also the beat down that Bellville took at the hands of Kinkaid. It will be a matter of which Bellville team shows up. We wont be able to throw the ball because, lets face it, our QB is not our strong suit. Rowe will run the ball the first 2 downs. If the running game isnt clicking, those 3rd and longs become an issue for our team because we only seem to take deep shots. That was our issue last year also. Throw it deep and hope for the best. I haven't seen Wharton play yet, but based on the record and their performance against the same competition, I would say that Bellville will have their hands full. Both teams need this win for playoff eligibility and Wharton plays at home. I see this being a close game.

Scoop27
10-25-2012, 01:24 PM
Heard Wharton coach Tim Finn said in an interview on KULP Radio out of El Campo that the Tigers can put the loss to the Ricebirds behind them

The following quotes were from the Wharton Journal-Spectator

“This is the game that allows us to control our own destiny,” Wharton Coach Tim Finn said. “We have to go out and finish our home schedule. We don’t want to lose at our place. You definitely want to defend your house.”
The Tigers, 6-2 overall and 3-1 in district play, are 4-0 at home this year. But they’ll face a big challenge from Bellville, 4-3 for the year and also fighting for that second place spot in district along with Sealy. Both have 2-1 district records. The top three teams make the playoffs in Class 3A.

“Bellville is a well-disciplined, physical football team,” Finn said. “The defense is a big, aggressive group. They are a tough, hard-nosed football team on both sides of the ball.”

But Finn preaches to his players to not worry so much about the opponent.

“It’s all about us,” Finn said. “It doesn’t matter who our opponent is if we play the game we’re supposed to play.”

Scoop27
10-26-2012, 10:11 AM
I'll be covering this game for Happy Radio FM 92.5 out of Bay City tonight
Check out their 5th quarter show at
http://kkhafm.com/
10:30 p.m.-midnight

scrub c
10-26-2012, 10:54 AM
I will take Wharton in this one...

buff4ever
10-26-2012, 10:59 AM
This should be a great game, I think Bellville will squeak out a close one here.

BELLVILLE SUX!

Bull's-eye
10-26-2012, 10:59 AM
Heard Wharton coach Tim Finn said in an interview on KULP Radio out of El Campo that the Tigers can put the loss to the Ricebirds behind them

The following quotes were from the Wharton Journal-Spectator

“This is the game that allows us to control our own destiny,” Wharton Coach Tim Finn said. “We have to go out and finish our home schedule. We don’t want to lose at our place. You definitely want to defend your house.”
The Tigers, 6-2 overall and 3-1 in district play, are 4-0 at home this year. But they’ll face a big challenge from Bellville, 4-3 for the year and also fighting for that second place spot in district along with Sealy. Both have 2-1 district records. The top three teams make the playoffs in Class 3A.

“Bellville is a well-disciplined, physical football team,” Finn said. “The defense is a big, aggressive group. They are a tough, hard-nosed football team on both sides of the ball.”

Bellville's defense is not big.

whitelightning5
10-26-2012, 11:17 AM
Bellville's defense is not big.

That's exactly right. I love how coaches cover themselves. If Wharton wins....they look like they conquered the beast. If they lose, it was because of Bellville's size and agressiveness. Either way the coaches are covered.

Texas Forever
10-26-2012, 11:58 AM
That's exactly right. I love how coaches cover themselves. If Wharton wins....they look like they conquered the beast. If they lose, it was because of Bellville's size and agressiveness. Either way the coaches are covered.

Are you kidding me? Coaches are never covered. Surely you know every loss is always their fault. Finn was respecting his opponent, don't make it into something it isn't.

whitelightning5
10-26-2012, 02:28 PM
Are you kidding me? Coaches are never covered. Surely you know every loss is always their fault. Finn was respecting his opponent, don't make it into something it isn't.

Well....some of these statements he is making are exactly accurate. Unless he is watching film of last year's team. And as a coach, you make these comments because it helps to lessen the blow, but mostly so your athletes don't look past this game. How many times have you heard a coach just come out and say....the talent on the other side of the ball sucks......we should dominate the game?

Physicality and size are definitely something that our front 7 or OL are lacking. Smaller and quicker is more like it.

Scoop27
10-26-2012, 04:02 PM
Wharton QB Bartee Grissom will not play-Had that injury last week in El Campo game.
A sophomore will play and that will be the difference in the game

speedbump
10-26-2012, 04:46 PM
Wharton QB Bartee Grissom will not play-Had that injury last week in El Campo game.
A sophomore will play and that will be the difference in the game

I just listened to an interview with Finn that was taped yesterday afternoon or this AM. If Grissom was out I'm pretty sure it would have been mentioned by him or the guy doing the interview. All Finn said was they needed to get their offense back in gear after being a little banged up in the second half against EC.

If Grissom plays I'd say he and Whartons special teams will play a big role in a ten point Tiger win.

scrub c
10-26-2012, 04:52 PM
If grissom is not playing, I dont like them near as much...

Manso/V8
10-26-2012, 05:53 PM
I hadn't had much time to post, but here are some random thoughts.
I have heard that Wharton has good athleticism, so I am assuming they have some speed.
I doubt if they have any more speed on defense than Bellbville has on offense, I'm not so sure about the speed on Bellville's defense
I don't know if #2 for Bellville will return to action after an ankle injury against El Campo or not, he can be a huge factor for the Bellville D.
I haven't heard anything about Wharton having a big dominating OL/DL, that was a problem for the Brahmas in the Kinkaid and El Campo games.
If Bellville can control the LOS on offense, I say the Brahma's take the W, especially since the weather tonight doesn't seem to bode well for a Wharton passing attack.
Bellville by 7,

Scoop27
10-26-2012, 06:11 PM
Even if Grissom plays, he won't be 100%-I think the Brahmas will win big.

Saggy Aggie
10-26-2012, 07:50 PM
Bellville is up 7-0

Saggy Aggie
10-26-2012, 07:53 PM
14-0

Saggy Aggie
10-26-2012, 08:36 PM
17-0

Saggy Aggie
10-26-2012, 09:17 PM
23-0

Saggy Aggie
10-26-2012, 09:36 PM
30-0

Spanish Camp
10-26-2012, 09:50 PM
I heard that Wharton's QB is out for the year?

OLE'BULL
10-26-2012, 09:53 PM

I hear he is on crutches tonight. Feel bad for him but can promise you Bellville still wins this game regardless...

Scoop27
10-26-2012, 10:12 PM
Stayed fir 3 quarters- Wharton QB Grissom is out for the season or unless Tigers go two deep in the playoffs
Bellville had 3 INT
Wharton had two penetration s in 1st half-one ended with Int and other on a fake field goal attempt
Brahmas realistically could have put up 50 points. Two drives stalled in the red zone
Tigers may have trouble beating Royal next week with no QB

Saggy Aggie
10-26-2012, 10:14 PM

Have you seen Grissom play?

Kidsa beast. He wouldve made a huge difference for Wharton. Hes basically the reason they were pretty good.

Huge loss for the Tigers.

Manso/V8
10-26-2012, 11:47 PM
You can tell that Wharton has some good athletes, there was always the threat that they were going to bust a big play.
I am sure they would have had a better showing if the starting QB had played.
Bellville was without their best player as well, and we played with two OL starters out during the second half.
The D25 playoff picture is going to be interesting.

OLE'BULL
10-27-2012, 12:01 AM
You can tell that Wharton has some good athletes, there was always the threat that they were going to bust a big play.
I am sure they would have had a better showing if the starting QB had played.
Bellville was without their best player as well, and we played with two OL starters out during the second half.
The D25 playoff picture is going to be interesting.

Bellville wins with Whartons QB playing. 30-0 is a thrashing, one player doesn't make a 31 point difference. Bellville will be playing come playoff time!

Pudlugger
10-27-2012, 12:02 AM
Impressive win for the Bulls. I felt all along that the Brahmas would manage a win due to conditioning and discipline but I did not expect a blow out shut out. D25 is so darn interesting. It comes down to the Sealy/Bellville game barring any upset along the way.

Saggy Aggie
10-27-2012, 12:07 AM
Bellville wins with Whartons QB playing. 30-0 is a thrashing, one player doesn't make a 31 point difference. Bellville will be playing come playoff time!

You obviously haven't seen Grissom play.

He doesn't play... Their offense can't pass. They can't pass... They become 1 dimensional... Defense stacks the line..Aka can't run. Offense becomes stagnant.

When the offense sucks, it puts the defense in bad situations and on the field too much. Grissom would've been the best player on the field if he had played. Don't kid yourself.

Manso/V8
10-27-2012, 12:32 AM
Saggy - Yeah, and Columbia was already a better team after the second game this year than they were all last year.

For sure Grissom would have helped Wharton make a better showing, but there is more to it than one player.......maybe their let down after their El Campo game had something to do with it. Maybe the fact that there was a stiff cross wind that impacted the passing game just as much or more. Maybe Bellville has continued to get better and is just simply a better team This biggest problem was their line, the QB was under pressure all night, and they couldn't really run that well the Brahmas. Grissom could have slipped away a few more times than the back up did.....but IF our fastest guy was playing defense (he was out with an injury too), I am sure he could have tracked Grissom down. We'll never know. We do know that tonight Bellville was a much more effective and better team, and one star player on Wharton's team wouldn't have made enough of a difference. Sometimes, teams north of I-10 are better than those south of I-10.

Pudlugger
10-27-2012, 12:35 AM
I give it all to Bellville. They played with the team they had just as did Wharton. They kicked butt. Bellville wins. No partial credit.

Saggy Aggie
10-27-2012, 01:17 AM
Saggy - Yeah, and Columbia was already a better team after the second game this year than they were all last year.

Lol don't look now, but WC has got it together. Don't be surprised next week if the Necks knock off LaMarque.

Maybe we can play bellville in the playoffs. I'm sure you remember how the last matchup between us 2 went...

OLE'BULL
10-27-2012, 08:51 AM
You obviously haven't seen Grissom play.

He doesn't play... Their offense can't pass. They can't pass... They become 1 dimensional... Defense stacks the line..Aka can't run. Offense becomes stagnant.

When the offense sucks, it puts the defense in bad situations and on the field too much. Grissom would've been the best player on the field if he had played. Don't kid yourself.

Bellville is one dimensional too. Line up, run right at you, and ask you to stop it. No doubt they are better off with him, but Bellville still wins this one. Just my opinion...

zebrablue2
10-27-2012, 10:29 AM
Congrats to the Brahmas, big win.:clap:

Manso/V8
10-27-2012, 11:17 AM
Lol don't look now, but WC has got it together. Don't be surprised next week if the Necks knock off LaMarque.

Maybe we can play bellville in the playoffs. I'm sure you remember how the last matchup between us 2 went...

Honestly, I was surprised that WC got beat by Wharton and Hempstead after the way yall talked about the Roughnecks.
Good luck against LaMarque!

Saggy Aggie
10-27-2012, 11:28 AM
Well, 10 turnovers and about 25 penalties in those 2 games will get you beat everytime.

Bull's-eye
10-27-2012, 12:26 PM
Big win for the Brahmas! We all like to compare scores between common opponents, but what we don't realize is how those teams match up. Bellville is a very good team when they can run the ball, but if their opponent has a strong run defense, the match up will be less favorable for the Brahmas. IMO, El Campo was a very bad match up for Bellville. The Ricebirds had much more size & were outstanding against the run. Looking back at that game, Bellville might of been better off trying to hit the big plays than playing their ball control run offense. Wharton fared much better against El Campo, but didn't look like a very good team last night. I didn't see the Wharton/El Campo game, but would have to say that their spread offense & speed matched up better with bigger El Campo team.

speedbump
10-27-2012, 12:49 PM
Big win for the Brahmas! We all like to compare scores between common opponents, but what we don't realize is how those teams match up. Bellville is a very good team when they can run the ball, but if their opponent has a strong run defense, the match up will be less favorable for the Brahmas. IMO, El Campo was a very bad match up for Bellville. The Ricebirds had much more size & were outstanding against the run. Looking back at that game, Bellville might of been better off trying to hit the big plays than playing their ball control run offense. Wharton fared much better against El Campo, but didn't look like a very good team last night. I didn't see the Wharton/El Campo game, but would have to say that their spread offense & speed matched up better with bigger El Campo team.

El Campo has one of the best Ds in 3A no matter what you try to do against it. If the Birds and Brahmas both knock off Sealy you guys might get a chance in the playoffs to see Wharton with Grissom. A completely different team.

Texas Forever
10-27-2012, 01:26 PM
Grissom makes the whole team better. He manages the offense and plays with confidence. To say he doesn't make a huge difference is ridiculous. He is a clutch player who makes the big plays when they are needed. If Bellville would've lost Fuchs they would've been screwed. He is not only the QB, but he is also their kicker. It is sad that it went down like this for Wharton. Unlike RSj with his many offers for college scholarships Grissom has not committed anywere yet. I am still hoping the Tigers miraculously get in so that he and several other seniors can be seen. To me these kids deserve it. As of right now they only have 2 district losses and 1 loss was without their QB.

OLE'BULL
10-27-2012, 02:52 PM
Grissom makes the whole team better. He manages the offense and plays with confidence. To say he doesn't make a huge difference is ridiculous. He is a clutch player who makes the big plays when they are needed. If Bellville would've lost Fuchs they would've been screwed. He is not only the QB, but he is also their kicker. It is sad that it went down like this for Wharton. Unlike RSj with his many offers for college scholarships Grissom has not committed anywere yet. I am still hoping the Tigers miraculously get in so that he and several other seniors can be seen. To me these kids deserve it. As of right now they only have 2 district losses and 1 loss was without their QB.

Hahahaha. We would have had the same result, or close to it. While Fuchs is a great athlete, his main job is to hand the ball off, and gain a few yards with his feet. He is not what makes our offense go. Please don't think I am in any way insulting Fuchs, our offense just doesn't revolve around the QB...

Bull's-eye
10-27-2012, 03:48 PM
El Campo has one of the best Ds in 3A no matter what you try to do against it. If the Birds and Brahmas both knock off Sealy you guys might get a chance in the playoffs to see Wharton with Grissom. A completely different team.

I was disappointed that we didn't get to play Wharton at full strength, but that's football. Grissom sounds like an outstanding player that without a doubt would of made the Tigers offense much better, but it was the Tigers defense that couldn't stop the Bellville offense that decided this game.

Football fan
10-27-2012, 04:04 PM
Wharton fared much better against El Campo, but didn't look like a very good team last night. I didn't see the Wharton/El Campo game, but would have to say that their spread offense & speed matched up better with bigger El Campo team.

Wharton had 129 yards of offense against EL Campo.

speedbump
10-27-2012, 04:06 PM
I was disappointed that we didn't get to play Wharton at full strength, but that's football. Grissom sounds like an outstanding player that without a doubt would of made the Tigers offense much better, but it was the Tigers defense that couldn't stop the Bellville offense that decided this game.

El Campos QB had a big game running outside against the Brahmas. Grissom would have done the same and there is no way you get four interceptions with him out there. More time with the ball means less time for Whartons D and less time for Bellvilles running game. I'd say with Grissom you're looking at two less scores for Bvll and two more for Wharton. A toss up.

Manso/V8
10-27-2012, 04:10 PM
Hahahaha. We would have had the same result, or close to it. While Fuchs is a great athlete, his main job is to hand the ball off, and gain a few yards with his feet. He is not what makes our offense go. Please don't think I am in any way insulting Fuchs, our offense just doesn't revolve around the QB...

Fuchs also only recently began handling the kicking duties, we have other kickers.

Pudlugger
10-27-2012, 04:20 PM
I saw Grissom playing against Sealy. He is a superb athlete and makes big plays out of busted plays. His specialty is scrambling after receivers are in tight coverage against the pass rush. Bellville's defense is very quick and well coached and I don't think he would have made enough difference to win the game. It would have been a lot closer though. Wharton probably suffered a big psychological letdown going in and against a fierce competitor like Bellville with a play off spot on the line...game over.

Texas Forever
10-27-2012, 04:54 PM
Geez..all this bragging on how great Bellville is. Sure hope they are as good as yall say they are when they play Sealy.

Bull's-eye
10-27-2012, 06:55 PM
El Campo has been the best team that Bellville has faced all year, but I'm little shocked seeing them only defeat Wharton by 7 & then only score 27 against Needville. Looking at the stats, I see El Campo had 3 turnovers against the Tigers, maybe that explains close game. I heard that Wharton also blocked a punt, a stat that wouldn't show up in the box score unless they would of scored a TD.

speedbump
10-27-2012, 07:04 PM
El Campo has been the best team that Bellville has faced all year, but I'm little shocked seeing them only defeat Wharton by 7 & then only score 27 against Needville. Looking at the stats, I see El Campo had 3 turnovers against the Tigers, maybe that explains close game. I heard that Wharton also blocked a punt, a stat that wouldn't show up in the box score unless they would of scored a TD.

You heard wrong. No blocked punt. The first two times EC touched the ball they handed it back to Wharton with a short porch. After that the EC defense dominated the game. As for Needville - it was drizzling and no reason to get somebody hurt. They may score more than 27 against Sealy. Different game , different situation.

Manso/V8
10-28-2012, 02:08 AM
El Campos QB had a big game running outside against the Brahmas. Grissom would have done the same and there is no way you get four interceptions with him out there. More time with the ball means less time for Whartons D and less time for Bellvilles running game. I'd say with Grissom you're looking at two less scores for Bvll and two more for Wharton. A toss up.

If you want to play the hypothetical game, how about this. Grissom is obviously the best player on Wharton's team. We were missing our best player as well, our SS, a pre-season DCTF all-state selection. If he was in the game, he would have limited hypothetical Grissom from running outside. I am sure you don't remember him. He made the tackle in our first defensive play against the Ricebirds and then injured his ankle on our second defensive play. If he hadn't gotten injured, he would have drastically reduced El Campo ability to run outside and probably picked a pass. Also, without him in the game it drastically reduced our outside game on offense as well. The plan was to use him to get the edge. El Campo is a good team across the board, but lacks blazing speed..............this kid would have been the fastest on the field for sure. I am not saying we would have beat the Ricebirds, but if that kid hadn't gotten hurt, it would have made a 7-14 point difference in the game. Nonetheless, he was injured and couldn't play, that's football. I hope he is back for the Needville and Sealy games.

Football fan
10-28-2012, 09:37 AM
Geez..all this bragging on how great Bellville is. Sure hope they are as good as yall say they are when they play Sealy.

Most dominant 5-3 team in the state.

maestro
10-28-2012, 02:50 PM
If you want to play the hypothetical game, how about this. Grissom is obviously the best player on Wharton's team. We were missing our best player as well, our SS, a pre-season DCTF all-state selection. If he was in the game, he would have limited hypothetical Grissom from running outside. I am sure you don't remember him. He made the tackle in our first defensive play against the Ricebirds and then injured his ankle on our second defensive play. If he hadn't gotten injured, he would have drastically reduced El Campo ability to run outside and probably picked a pass. Also, without him in the game it drastically reduced our outside game on offense as well. The plan was to use him to get the edge. El Campo is a good team across the board, but lacks blazing speed..............this kid would have been the fastest on the field for sure. I am not saying we would have beat the Ricebirds, but if that kid hadn't gotten hurt, it would have made a 7-14 point difference in the game. Nonetheless, he was injured and couldn't play, that's football. I hope he is back for the Needville and Sealy games.

Get over it Wharton...Bellville was by far the superior team Friday night. I believe everyone on this board can agree....injuries happen....and no one wants to see anyone's players hurt during these contests.
Concentrate on this week's opponents.

speedbump
10-28-2012, 03:53 PM
Get over it Wharton...Bellville was by far the superior team Friday night. I believe everyone on this board can agree....injuries happen....and no one wants to see anyone's players hurt during these contests.
Concentrate on this week's opponents.

I'm not sure there are any Wharton fans posting on this thread.

whitelightning5
10-29-2012, 11:44 AM

Me too. It will eliminate a bunch of confusion with playoff eligibility.

Red Bull
10-29-2012, 01:36 PM
In football, injuries happen folks. Funny how someone stated how Bellville would suffer without QB Fuchs. He got injured early in 2011 and Bellville went on to go 10-2 and loose in 2nd round to very good Coldspring team in overtime.

You have to play with what you have - no excuses. Also, Wharton may need to be big Bellville fan in last week if things play out as they should. If Sealy beats Bellville by 2 pts or more and there is 3 way tie with Bellville, Sealy and Wharton, then Wharton stays home.

Bull's-eye
10-29-2012, 06:15 PM
Also, Wharton may need to be big Bellville fan in last week if things play out as they should. If Sealy beats Bellville by 2 pts or more and there is 3 way tie with Bellville, Sealy and Wharton, then Wharton stays home.

I may be wrong, but any kind of a 3 way tie between these 3 teams would keep Wharton home. Assuming they are using a max of 17 points, Wharton would be (-16). Bellville is currently (+17) & Sealy stands at (-1). The worst Bellville could end up would be (0) & Sealy could be no worse than (0) with a win over Bellville.

maestro
10-29-2012, 08:19 PM
I may be wrong, but any kind of a 3 way tie between these 3 teams would keep Wharton home. Assuming they are using a max of 17 points, Wharton would be (-16). Bellville is currently (+17) & Sealy stands at (-1). The worst Bellville could end up would be (0) & Sealy could be no worse than (0) with a win over Bellville.

The district does not use head to head game results?

Bull's-eye
10-29-2012, 10:11 PM
The district does not use head to head game results?

Yes, head to head results are the first tie breaker. In the proposed 3 way tie mentioned above, each team would be 1-1 in head to head games. In that case, you must go to the 2nd tie breaker which is point differential. Wharton owns the head to head tie breaker over Sealy, but by throwing Bellville into the mix & projecting them losing to Sealy, head to head results won't break the tie.

Manso/V8
10-29-2012, 11:05 PM
Yes, head to head results are the first tie breaker. In the proposed 3 way tie mentioned above, each team would be 1-1 in head to head games. In that case, you must go to the 2nd tie breaker which is point differential. Wharton owns the head to head tie breaker over Sealy, but by throwing Bellville into the mix & projecting them losing to Sealy, head to head results won't break the tie.

So, if Sealy beats El Campo and Bellville, and Bellville beats Needville, Sealy would could be district champs, El Campo would be second, and Bellville would be third?

If Sealy loses to El Campo, and beats Bellville, El Campo would be district champs, Sealy would be second, and Bellville would be third?

If Bellville beats Needville and Sealy, and Sealy loses to El Campo, El Campo would be district champs, Bellville would be second, and Wharton would be third, assuming Wharton wins the rest of their games?

Bull's-eye
10-30-2012, 12:23 AM
If Sealy loses to El Campo, and beats Bellville, El Campo would be district champs, Sealy would be second, and Bellville would be third?

Depends if there is a 3 way tie with Wharton & the margin of victory in the Sealy/Bellville game. Need to check, but I believe Sealy would have to defeat Bellville by 9 or more points to get the 2nd spot, assuming there was a 3 way tie. The UIL doesn't have set rules on tie breakers, so it is up to each district to make their own rules.

Red Bull
10-30-2012, 07:58 AM
Bulls Eye I think you are right on the tie breaker and Wharton.