PDA

View Full Version : " the appaloosa"

regaleagle
10-19-2012, 12:33 PM
This is one of the finest movies ever made with Marlon Brando as the star. Released in 1966, it is a country western classic tale of an ex-confederate soldier from the Texas side of the Rio Grande that has his one-of-a-kind Appaloosa horse stolen by a very powerful Mexican rancher/bandito named Chuy Medina(John Saxon). Marlon Brando is Mateo, his horse the Appaloosa, and he leaves for Mexico to retrieve it. "Chuy is not just one man, he is everywhere", warns his boyhood amigo from the farm. Brando goes into the Mexican mountains to the rancho of Chuy Medina in Coaqhilan in search of his horse. Senor, you must see this movie>it is a classic. I have seen it over the years maybe 10 times.....maybe sixteen, I dunno. The beautiful woman Chuy keeps befriends Mateo after he is beat up and locked up. She takes him to a goat herder's little place to recover as Chuy's men go in search of him. He is a threat to Chuy Medina and will kill to get his Appaloosa back. He is very dangerous as long as he is alive. The Medinas must find him. The woman does not love Chuy Medina, and is his property. She was taken by the Medinas in payment to allow her family to live on the farm the Medinas took from them. Mateo will get his Appaloosa back, and free this woman from Chuy Medina....or die trying. Does he love the horse more, or the woman??? Amigos, you must see this movie.

Phil C
10-19-2012, 03:46 PM
I agree that this is a great movie that surprisingly was underated when released. It has a great cast with Marlon Brando and John Saxon as regaleagle has pointed out and was filmed in color and has beautiful scenery. Don't miss this one. You have several chances to see it on the Encore Western Channel on the following dates and times:

10-20-12 at 12:20 A.M.
10-28-12 at 7:00 P.M.
12-2-12 at 7 :40 A.M.

There are other times available that you can find on your local tv guide. Fortunately the Encore Western Channel is good about showing this movie fairly regularly. If none of the times are convenient you can set those recorders and watch it later. Enjoy. Well done regaleagle.