PDA

View Full Version : Monahans (3-3/1-0) @ Abilene Wylie (6-0/1-0)

ccmom
10-15-2012, 01:35 PM
Many people had Monahans picked as the preseason favorite to win this district. I'm not sure those same people would make that same prediction now, but anything can happen.

Thoughts? Predictions?

Bosqueville
10-15-2012, 01:41 PM
Wyile by 20.

slingshot
10-15-2012, 01:49 PM
Will be a hard game--Monahans is always a tough out. They are VERY well coached, disciplined and play the 'where's the ball?' slot T (or is it wing T?) offense. I think we can physically overpower them--have every other team this year--but they will be competitive... Wylie by 10.

ccmom
10-15-2012, 02:01 PM
Will be a hard game--Monahans is always a tough out. They are VERY well coached, disciplined and play the 'where's the ball?' slot T (or is it wing T?) offense. I think we can physically overpower them--have every other team this year--but they will be competitive... Wylie by 10.

Any word on the injuries from Friday?

defense51
10-15-2012, 02:03 PM
AW continues to roll towards a district championship in this one! Bulldogs by 17

Slick50
10-15-2012, 02:31 PM
Wylie by at least 2 TDs

Inmateboss
10-15-2012, 02:59 PM
The Lobos will always show up for a fight, but this Wylie team will be spanking some Lobo hiney!!!

Expect to win, Play to win!!! Go Graham Steers
Go # 5

garciap77
10-15-2012, 04:30 PM
Wylie by 7!

regaleagle
10-15-2012, 04:57 PM
Wylie "could" have a letdown somewhere in their schedule.....it seems to happen to alot to really good teams.....BUT they are a very athletic and confident team with the kind of leadership and players at skill positions to maintain their dominance even on an "off" night. Not saying this will happen this week, but if it did Wylie would still be able to overcome the setbacks during the game, IMO. This Wylie team seems to have the right composition of players at all the positions and a coaching staff that COULD make it all the way to the semis, if not the finals. Again, jmo but I see them going very deep in the playoffs barring some kind of season-ending injuries to key players. My great hope is that Argyle will perservere in Region 2 and get another opportunity to play this Wylie team again. We have much respect for them, but did not perform well that first game of the year. Wylie should win this game by at least 2 TD's.

Deuce
10-15-2012, 05:00 PM
Wylie by 21

slingshot
10-15-2012, 06:11 PM
Wylie "could" have a letdown somewhere in their schedule.....it seems to happen to alot to really good teams.....BUT they are a very athletic and confident team with the kind of leadership and players at skill positions to maintain their dominance even on an "off" night. Not saying this will happen this week, but if it did Wylie would still be able to overcome the setbacks during the game, IMO. This Wylie team seems to have the right composition of players at all the positions and a coaching staff that COULD make it all the way to the semis, if not the finals. Again, jmo but I see them going very deep in the playoffs barring some kind of season-ending injuries to key players. My great hope is that Argyle will perservere in Region 2 and get another opportunity to play this Wylie team again. We have much respect for them, but did not perform well that first game of the year. Wylie should win this game by at least 2 TD's.Thanks for the compliments! You're right--seems we always have an 'off night' even when we've had really good teams in the past. Good thing is though that is a senior dominated team with a very experienced coaching staff that doesn't depend on one or two outstanding players. I too really hope we get another shot at Argyle--if so it means we have made it to the semi's... and I really like our chances in that match-up! Good luck to you guys---at least until we meet again!

ccmom
10-15-2012, 06:40 PM
I see that jacketwood is voting for Monahans. After all the nice things I have said about him!! Oh wait...;)

BwdLion73
10-15-2012, 08:34 PM
Where are the 3 amigos.......?:D:D:D

Tin Cup
10-15-2012, 09:33 PM
Monahans rebuilding. AW should roll but you have to love and respects programs that do more will less every single year and are never an easy out.

hollywood
10-15-2012, 09:40 PM
I see that jacketwood is voting for Monahans. After all the nice things I have said about him!! Oh wait...;)

What?! Crap... big mistake!! I was on my iPhone and I must have fat fingered it. AW rolls in this one big time! Negate the Monahans selection. Lol

:D

toddg
10-15-2012, 09:53 PM
What?! Crap... big mistake!! I was on my iPhone and I must have fat fingered it. AW rolls in this one big time! Negate the Monahans selection. Lol

:D walk, walk, walk like a craaaab.... sorry, saw the "jersey boys" show and had a song stuck in my head...

hollywood
10-15-2012, 10:41 PM
walk, walk, walk like a craaaab.... sorry, saw the "jersey boys" show and had a song stuck in my head...

LOL.. No, a honest mistake. iPhone touch screens aren't perfect. ;)

ccmom
10-15-2012, 10:45 PM
LOL.. No, a honest mistake. iPhone touch screens aren't perfect. ;)

Suuuuuuuuuuure :rolleyes:

;)

Red&White_9x5
10-16-2012, 01:27 PM
The Loboes won't have enough in the tank to hang with Wylie.
Wylie- 35
Monahans-14

hollywood
10-16-2012, 02:31 PM
How 'bout them Bulldogs!! :clap:

Rattler
10-16-2012, 03:12 PM
Wylie sucks!

Steers_#1
10-16-2012, 03:29 PM
As much as I hate 'em, Wylie by 28.

ccmom
10-16-2012, 04:49 PM
As much as I hate 'em, Wylie by 28.

Hate?? Oh come on now....we aren't so bad!!!

Pendragon13
10-16-2012, 05:06 PM
This is the most complete Wylie team I've since since the 09 finalists...and probably overall better than the Keenum led state championship team. Having said that, it remains to be seen if this team can go as far as those did. We win this one however...I'm gonna say by at least 10 but probably 14+. No doubt Monahans will give us their best game of the year..

slingshot
10-16-2012, 05:11 PM
This is the most complete Wylie team I've since since the 09 finalists...and probably overall better than the Keenum led state championship team. Having said that, it remains to be seen if this team can go as far as those did. We win this one however...I'm gonna say by at least 10 but probably 14+. No doubt Monahans will give us their best game of the year..

Agreed. Future success will come down to avoiding key injuries. IF we stay relatively healthy (unlike last Fri night where we were down to our 3rd and 4th options at tailback) the sky is the limit for this Bulldog team. A state championship run is well within the realm of possibility...

defense51
10-16-2012, 06:53 PM
So what is the difference from last years team to this one? I saw AW last year in the playoffs when we played, they were solid and the thing that impressed me was they never quit and hit HARD until the last whistle. But this year they seems to have put it all together and play at a different level. What's the difference maker this year?

slingshot
10-16-2012, 09:03 PM
So what is the difference from last years team to this one? I saw AW last year in the playoffs when we played, they were solid and the thing that impressed me was they never quit and hit HARD until the last whistle. But this year they seems to have put it all together and play at a different level. What's the difference maker this year?Several things... there were more underclassmen starting last year for Wylie than I can ever remember. Those guys are now Jrs and Srs. The O'line in particular was nearly all underclassmen. They committed to all improve individually and as a unit. They worked out together, trained together and really came back much stronger. Tailback Garrett Martin also really committed to coming back bigger, stronger and just as quick as last year... it has paid off. The coaches looked at our defensive personnel and totally revamped our D--changed to a 3 man front and added a safety or linbacker depending on the scheme. D is much quicker to the ball than last year. Outstanding cornerbacks help a lot. The big question mark coming in was how was the QB situation going to work out... Sr starter but had never thrown a varsity pass. It has worked out great. While not the biggest or most fleet of foot, Taylor Grant is deadly accurate and has a strong arm--ask anyone we've played. He is 'cool hand Luke' in the pocket. Does not get rattled, never too high, never too low. Sees the entire field and rarely misses a throw. Now if we can just keep them healthy...

Pendragon13
10-16-2012, 10:17 PM
So what is the difference from last years team to this one? I saw AW last year in the playoffs when we played, they were solid and the thing that impressed me was they never quit and hit HARD until the last whistle. But this year they seems to have put it all together and play at a different level. What's the difference maker this year?http://www.d1sportstraining.com/trainerfinder/websites/60037/abilene/index.html ;)

Oh, and our playoff game with you guys was a complete and total meltdown.....the coaches and players vowed to never let that happen again.

slingshot
10-16-2012, 10:23 PM
http://www.d1sportstraining.com/trainerfinder/websites/60037/abilene/index.html ;)Well... that too. :)

defense51
10-16-2012, 11:11 PM
http://www.d1sportstraining.com/trainerfinder/websites/60037/abilene/index.html ;)

Oh, and our playoff game with you guys was a complete and total meltdown.....the coaches and players vowed to never let that happen again.

We did have a pretty good team last year, so I don't think it was a total meltdown.
It seems to have worked well! Good luck for the rest of district play and in the playoffs.

ccmom
10-17-2012, 09:44 AM
http://www.reporternews.com/news/2012/oct/16/wylies-d-line-doing-the-dirty-work-in-bulldogs/

In a 3-4 defensive alignment, like the one Wylie employs, playing along the defensive line can be a thankless job.

Often asked go 3-on-5 against the offensive line, the nose guard and two defensive ends start most plays at a natural disadvantage. And once the ball is snapped, they spend more time occupying blocks to free the four linebackers behind them than taking down ballcarriers themselves.

But if you ask any coach — and particularly Wylie's Hugh Sandifer — it's those big boys up front that make everything else go. And while there's not much glory in the work they do, no 3-4 scheme can succeed without them.

"They're the unsung heroes of the defense," Sandifer said. "They've got to draw those double teams, they've got to penetrate the line of scrimmage, and then, with just three against a passing team that's blocking with five, they've got to find a way to put pressure on the quarterback.

"It's a tough job."

Since switching from the 4-2-5 to the 3-4 last spring, the Wylie defensive linemen have learned firsthand how tough the job can be. But they've handled the transition so well they've made it look easy.

Thanks in large part to the contributions of those players, the Bulldogs have allowed just 1,077 yards and 77 points through their first six games. And they've been equally effective against the run and pass, surrendering 91 yards per game on the ground and 88.5 through the air.

"We had a lot of starters coming back this year, so I think we were real confident on that side of the ball," said senior defensive end Jonathan Bott. "But I'm kind of surprised by the way we've been playing. We've been playing pretty lights out, and that's just from hard work."

Bott, who missed a game early in the season, leads Wylie in sacks (five) and quarterback hurries (nine).

Because of the nature of his position, he has just six solo tackles, five assists and two tackles for loss to go with those. But he's found a niche in the Bulldogs' new scheme that he's embraced full-on.

"Going to a 3-4, we have a lot more freedom to move down the line, and we're just having fun with it," Bott said. "All of our guys work hard, and we're seeing the production on Fridays.

"From my standpoint, as a defensive end, I was going outside every time. Now I can go inside. ... I already have more sacks than I did last year, and I think that goes back to the whole freedom thing."

Senior nose guard Zach Toomer also has embraced his new role, which has him being double- or even triple-teamed most plays. Taking on so many blocks, he knows he'll never lead his team in tackles, so his reward comes from helping others do their jobs.

"I just feel like I'm doing my part for the team, taking on two blocks, getting in people's way and just getting the linebackers free to make big hits and tackles behind the line of scrimmage," said Toomer, who has 13 solo tackles, six assists, three sacks and eight hurries on the season.

That's the mentality Sandifer is looking for from his linemen. He said it's taken some time for the players to adopt this mindset, but each week they're gaining a better understanding of what's being asked of them.

"There's just no way they can play 1-on-1, because they never get a 1-on-1 situation," he said. "So they have to work to fight double teams and penetrate into the backfield and cause havoc in the run game.

"For those guys, it's just a process, a learning what we want from them, and as the season is going on, I think we're all learning — coaches, players — we're all seeing how this works together, and those guys are really starting come into their own."

On top of what Bott and Toomer have provided, Sandifer has gotten contributions from a number of others. Jonathan Hibler, Ryan Bailey and Aaron Marriott have all made their presence felt this year, as has sophomore Baylen Baker, who already has two sacks, a tackle behind the line and three hurries.

The depth on the Wylie line has allowed the Bulldogs defense to remain strong over the course of games and week to week. And the confidence those players have in each other has only gotten stronger as the season has progressed.

"It's just skyrocketing right now," Toomer said. "We're trying to be confident without being too confident, so we can still work hard. We don't try to get cocky or anything, because we just want to finish this season out as district champs and hopefully go to state. That's the plan."

Deuce
10-17-2012, 06:10 PM

I said this as soon as Wylie beat Graham. Wylie by 77!!

garciap77
10-17-2012, 06:11 PM
Wylie sucks!

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd185/garciap77/BabyRattlerpoopcopy.jpg

LionFan72
10-18-2012, 10:43 AM
Bullpups by 21, Monahans will compete, but are down this year. Wylie is hitting their stride on a strong run this year, pulling for a long run.

ccmom
10-19-2012, 06:25 AM
http://www.reporternews.com/news/2012/oct/18/wylie-monahans-football-capsule/

Monahans (3-3, 1-0) at No. 2 Wylie (6-0, 1-0)

7:30 P.M. TODAY BULLDOG STADIUM KEAN105.1 FM

What's riding on this game:Before the season began, this was viewed by many as the de facto district championship game in District 4-3A. With the way the two teams' seasons have started, it's no longer the marquee matchup many envisioned, but it's still a big one for district standing. The winner of this game will remain undefeated heading into its final three league games, while the loser will return to the playoff bubble at 1-1.

Last week: Wylie piled up 466 yards of total offense in a 42-24 district-opening win over previously unbeaten Big Spring. Monhans opened league play with a 20-13 win at Midland Greenwood. Today's matchup will be the first between the Bulldogs and Loboes, who were scrimmage partners for several years before being placed in the same district at the 2012 realignment.

Scouting Monahans: In Mickey Owens eight years with the program, the Loboes have been one of the most consistent 3A programs in the state, averaging more than 10 wins per season since 2005. Monahans is off to a little bit of a slow start this year but still has the weapons to be dangerous. Running back Rojelio Sauceda leads the team's wing-T offense, having run for 441 yards on 60 carries, while quarterback Zack Navarro (22-56-3—328, two TDs) throws just enough to keep defense's honest. Defensively the Loboes have had mixed results, surrendering 33.3 points per game in their three losses and 4.3 points per contest in their wins, including two shutouts.

Bulldogs update: The Bulldogs continued their roll last week with an impressive win over 5-1 Big Spring, but did so at a cost. Wylie had five players injured during that game, at least three of whom could remain out for tonight's contest. Tailback Garrett Martin (723 yards rushing, 206 receving, nine total TDs) and offensive lineman John Lauve are day-to-day with ankle and knee injuries, respectively. Backup running back and starting safety Zerrie Mack is doubtful because of a knee injury. And receiver/cornerback Paul Goodrich (concussion) and running back Hunter Calhoun (lower back) will be unavailable, Wylie coach Hugh Sandifer said.

What Bulldogs need to do to win: Be strong against the run. With their offensive capabilities, the Bulldogs will find the end zone a few times at least. The key will be what kind of job Wylie does of getting the Loboes off the field. With a big line and some solid backs, Monahans is capable of moving the football and controlling clock. But if the Wylie defense plays as well as it has all year, the Bulldogs should be just fine.

Daniel Youngblood's prediction: Wylie 35, Monahans 20.

Inmateboss
10-19-2012, 07:28 AM
Go Wylie Bulldogs!!!!! Whoop!!!

Expect to win, Play to win!!! Go Graham Steers
Go # 5

garciap77
10-19-2012, 07:50 AM
http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd185/garciap77/4BXP2-1.jpg

Pendragon13
10-19-2012, 09:11 AM
The injuries worry me for tonight...if Martin can't go (and 2 backup RB's either out or iffy) then we might have trouble putting up the 30+ points we've had thus far. I think we'll be ok and continue the roll though..Sandifer is good at changing the gameplan to fit available players.

defense51
10-19-2012, 10:01 AM
Go Bulldogs!!!

slingshot
10-19-2012, 10:20 AM
The injuries worry me for tonight...if Martin can't go (and 2 backup RB's either out or iffy) then we might have trouble putting up the 30+ points we've had thus far. I think we'll be ok and continue the roll though..Sandifer is good at changing the gameplan to fit available players.He may have to do a lot changing...

Pendragon13
10-19-2012, 10:39 AM
He may have to do a lot changing...Nobody has forced us to air it out yet, but tonight we may have to go full air raid..

TexasFight
10-19-2012, 11:47 AM
That's what is so good about this team - lots of options. Take away one aspect of our game and we'll step up in another area.

buff4ever
10-19-2012, 02:55 PM
Wylie in this one by more than 14.

Rattler
10-19-2012, 04:44 PM
Anyone spot me Monahans and 40?

Roughneck93
10-19-2012, 04:49 PM
Wylie by 14.

M-town lobo fan
10-19-2012, 06:11 PM
AW hasnt played anybody..Weak schedule..Overrated!!! AW cant be any better than 6-0 4A Canyon Randall..Loboes seen it all they will be ready.Loboes by 1..P.S you guys really think AW improved that much from last year lol

slingshot
10-19-2012, 06:17 PM
AW hasnt played anybody..Weak schedule..Overrated!!! AW cant be any better than 6-0 4A Canyon Randall..Loboes seen it all they will be ready.Loboes by 1..P.S you guys really think AW improved that much from last year lolRiiiiiight... and yes, we are that much better. And ya'll are a lot worse than last year... Wylie by 20.

ccmom
10-19-2012, 06:22 PM
AW hasnt played anybody..Weak schedule..Overrated!!! AW cant be any better than 6-0 4A Canyon Randall..Loboes seen it all they will be ready.Loboes by 1..P.S you guys really think AW improved that much from last year lol

Somebody's fishing!!! Come on back in a few hours big boy!! ;)

Deuce
10-19-2012, 06:53 PM

Alot better than last year. You will see soon enough. Wylie wins easily by 21.

M-town lobo fan
10-19-2012, 08:49 PM
AW 13 Monahans 10 at halftime.Loboes hanging in there.

garciap77
10-19-2012, 10:10 PM
Congrats Bulldogs!!!! Great show by the Monahans!

ccmom
10-19-2012, 10:15 PM
Wow what a game! Good luck to Monahans the rest of the season.

Congrats to the bulldogs!

M-town lobo fan
10-19-2012, 10:18 PM
Good Game Dawgs!!! Goodluck the rest of the way in FB & VB

Pendragon13
10-19-2012, 10:28 PM
Wow, this was one of those games you stay glued to the edge of your seat from beginning to end.:eek: When I got to the stadium and saw that our #1, #2 annnnnd #3 RB's were all in street clothes (which includes our safety and cornerback) I had a very uneasy feeling. The young guys stepped it up just enough to edge a very good and tough Monahans team. Any future opponent that sees Monahans with 3 losses and think they're a pushover has another thing coming..

Congrats to the Bulldogs, and especially the young guys who stepped up their game when they had to..

regaleagle
10-19-2012, 10:30 PM
I think Monahans was just a tough matchup for Wylie. That ground out style probably negated alot of the speed and athleticism that Wylie uses to put teams away. Tonite, they ran into a team that forced them into a style of play that took away offensive touches and clock. Just imagining that's what happened.....is that pretty close to it???

regaleagle
10-19-2012, 10:35 PM
Wow, this was one of those games you stay glued to the edge of your seat from beginning to end.:eek: When I got to the stadium and saw that our #1, #2 annnnnd #3 RB's were all in street clothes (which includes our safety and cornerback) I had a very uneasy feeling. The young guys stepped it up just enough to edge a very good and tough Monahans team. Any future opponent that sees Monahans with 3 losses and think they're a pushover has another thing coming..

Congrats to the Bulldogs, and especially the young guys who stepped up their game when they had to..

OK, Pendragon.....now it's starting to make some sense. I must've been posting when you were. That kinda explains why the game was so tight. But you still hafta give the Loboes their due respect for a close game.....regardless. You go with what ya have to play with.

Pendragon13
10-19-2012, 10:47 PM
OK, Pendragon.....now it's starting to make some sense. I must've been posting when you were. That kinda explains why the game was so tight. But you still hafta give the Loboes their due respect for a close game.....regardless. You go with what ya have to play with.I believe we had 5 starters total out including the ones I mentioned...but the young guys played their hearts out and won it anyway. We took the opening kickoff and drove down to the 2yd line and fumbled, and then we had another long TD run called back for a personal foul that happened way behind the play. Even so, our D stepped up and got some stops when they had to...Monahans offense is ball control just like ours, but they didn't have much quick strike capability to go along with it.

It was really nice to see a large enthusiastic traveling crowd...and a large band that could battle ours all night long.:thumbsup:

slingshot
10-19-2012, 10:50 PM
Seems we have one of these games every year... flat, no emotion and then add in the injuries to our top 3 backs/starting corner/kicker/punter/safety/etc. Monahans flat came to play and took it to us and almost pulled out the game. We made way too many mistakes and were very fortunate to beat a solid Lobo team. Monahans is always well coached. Great kids too. So much for my prediction:ack!:... just glad we won!

ccmom
10-19-2012, 11:32 PM
Seeing so many key players in street clothes on the sidelines gave me an uneasy feeling. However, seeing them stay involved in the game by trying to fire up their teammates and seeing other players step up was awesome. #41 Hayden Lewis had a lot on his shoulders and he was a hoss! Also I continue to be impressed with QB Taylor Grant's accuracy (several dropped passes in spite of that) and his composure. He makes smart decisions with the ball and never seems to get rattled...even when things aren't going our way. I'm a big fan!!

I'm sure the Monahans boys are down about this one because they definitely had a chance for the upset, but if they keep their heads up moving forward, they could be a factor in the playoffs. Also, I always enjoy the "Go Gringo! chant! It was a fun atmosphere, great game and I need a drink! Surprise!!

ccmom
10-20-2012, 08:51 AM
http://www.reporternews.com/news/2012/oct/19/monahans-pushes-no-2-wylie-before-unbeaten-close/

By Greg Jaklewicz

jaklewiczg@reporternews.com 325-676-6764
Whenever Monahans knocked on the door Friday night, Wylie was waiting with an answer.

As a result, the injury-challenged Bulldogs stayed unbeaten and atop the District 4-3A standings.

Taylor Grant threw for three touchdowns, backup running back Hayden Lewis rushed for 120 yards and nose guard Zach Toomer recovered a fumble with 44 seconds to play to seal Wylie's hard-fought 20-17 victory over Monahans in the first regular-season football game between the two West Texas schools.

The No. 2 Bulldogs, who were missing five key players due to injury, now are 7-0 and 2-0 in district play. Monahans is 3-4 and 1-1.

"We fought through adversity. This was a good team win. We're 2-0," Wylie coach Hugh Sandifer said.

No doubt Monahans challenged Wylie, right to the final minute of play at Bulldog Stadium. The Loboes led 10-7 in the second quarter, the first time Wylie trailed in a game this season. In the fourth quarter, Monahans drove 14 plays and 73 yards to score on quarterback Zach Navarro's 2-yard keeper with 8:02 to play to cut its deficit to 20-17.

But when Monahans grabbed its only lead, Wylie took 14 seconds to grab it back, scoring on a 55-yard pass from Grant to Shante Brown, who broke free of the Loboes defense and outran pursuers to the end zone.

And after seeing its lead shrink to three points, Wylie chewed up 5:06 of late-game clock, though a high snap spoiled any chance backup kicker Deric Ince had of making a 32-yard field goal.

Then up stepped the defense, which, Toomer admitted, was gassed by Monahans' run-driven touchdown drive.

Running back Freddy Garcia lost three yards on first down, Navarro scrambled for seven and Wylie was flagged for interference, giving Monahans a first down at its 36. After Rogelio Sauceda gained six yards up the middle, Wylie sophomore defensive end Baylen Baker forced a Navarro fumble that Toomer corralled. Taylor knelt to run out the final seconds of the game.

"I wanted to scoop it and score," said Toomer, grinning. "We came through on the defensive side, and the offense made some plays."

Toomer said the Wylie defense was challenged by Monahans' relentless misdirection run game that wound up with 197 yards on 51 carries.

"We really had to concentrate, get in the gaps and open our eyes," he said. "Yeah, I think we were little worn down."

Linebacker Jaxon Bounds said the Loboes' sweeps were the hardest to defend.

"We have to play better on the outside," he said.

Wylie sputtered throughout the game. The Bulldogs uncharacteristically dropped passes, lost two fumbles — including one at the Monahans 2 on the opening drive, tipped a pass that was intercepted, dropped a punt snap and muffed the late field goal try. Add in an illegal block well back of Colby Awalt's 89-yard touchdown burst on his first carry of the game and Sandifer saw plenty of reasons why the Loboes were in the game until the final minute.

"But the first time we got behind we answered on the first play. I wish we had converted that field goal at the end but we came up with 5-, 6-minute drive. Then the defense makes a huge stop. I'm proud of them," Sandifer said. "I think some of the guys were trying too hard, and we talked about that at halftime."

Wylie played without running back Garrett Martin, who had contributed almost 1,100 yards of offense in six games, and backup Zerrie Mack and Hunter Calhoun. But the Bulldogs' depth allowed Sandifer to plug still more backs and total 177 rushing yards.

"That's Wylie," Monahans coach Mickey Owens said. "They've got talent over there. After we scored, they didn't sit back. They responded."

Owens said his team didn't pay attention to Martin being out, or to Wylie's other injuries.

"We didn't get caught up in that. They still had a fullback and tailback out there. They have enough depth," he said.

Grant threw TD passes of 32 yards to Patrick Walker, who made a lunging catch coming left across the end zone in the first quarter, and 55 and 32 yards to Brown, who had four catches for 103 yards. For the game, Grant was 14-of-24 for 205 yards. At least four passes were dropped.

"I give all the credit to Taylor and the line buying him time," Brown said. "A lot of people stepped up for our running backs."

Garcia rushed for 75 yards on 16 carries to lead Monahans on offense. Navarro had 51 more yards.

Wylie 20, Monahans 17

Monahans 0 10 0 7 — 17

Wylie 6 7 7 0 — 20

FIRST QUARTER

WYL — Patrick Walker 32 pass from Taylor Grant (kick failed), 4:55

SECOND QUARTER

MON — Alejandro Mendoza 33 FG, 11:46

MON — Jackson Scharf 3 run (Mendoza kick), 6:31

WYL — Shante Brown 55 pass from Grant (Deric Ince kick), 6:17

THIRD QUARTER

WYL — Brown 32 pass from Grant (Ince kick), 6:21

FOURTH QUARTER

MON — Zach Navarro 2 run (Mendoza kick), 8:02

MON WYL

First downs 15 17

Rushes-Yards 30-177 51-197

Passing 205 32

Comp-Att-Int 3-10-1 14-24-1

Punts 5-37.2 3-25.3

Fumbles-Lost 2-1 3-2

Penalties-Yards 4-25 7-67

Individual statistics

RUSHING — Monahans, Freddy Garcia, 16-75, Zach Navarro 16-51, Jesse Porras, 7-34, Rogelio Sauceda, 9-33, Jackson Scharf, 2-3, Nicko Jasso 1-1. Wylie, Hayden Lewis, 20-120, Colby Awalt, 2-60, Jonathan Bott, 1-3, Tye Calhoun, 1-2, Taylor Grant, 3-2, Patrick Walker 1-1. Team 2-(minus 11)

PASSING — Monahans, Navarra, 7-10-1-32. Wylie, Grant, 14-24-1-205.

RECEIVING — Monahans, Garcia, 2-21, Ozzie Lujan, 1-11. Wylie, Shante Brown, 4-103, Walker, 3-54, Lewis, 3-17, Tyler Roberson, 1-10, Baylen Baker, 1-10, Colton Boyd, 1-6, Calhoun, 1-5.

RECORDS — Monahans, 3-4, 1-1; Wylie 7-0, 2-0.