PDA

View Full Version : Barry Field, Smithville

YTBulldogs
10-15-2012, 09:15 AM
UIL should condemn this field? How many injury's has this place caused over the years? Should be called the "Gravel Pit". I think we sustained 4 twisted ankles, from gravel. One tuba player, one flag patrol member, and a couple football players. Pitiful.

When you have to put the pylons on the track in the south EZ's to mark the end lines, you know it could be a safety concern. Seems when they built the track, they could of said, "Bubba, move the circle north a few feet". :doh:

Regulation crossbar's on the goal post's should be 10' from the ground. Well, at Barry Field, the south goal is about 12', and the north around 8.5'. First time I ever heard coaches discussing which goal post do they want going into the 4th quarter. Usually wind's, or the clock decides this matter.:thmbdwn:

And, you'd think they could get some more 100w light bulbs atop those 50 ft. telephone poles they use for lighting. You'd lose sighting of punt's for a few seconds, when it went above the telephone poles. Amazing. Not sure why they put a fence around this place. Kid's be safer playing on the parking lot.

Not all bad in Smithville. They have a nice police force. I got stopped for doing a Yoakum rolling stop as I was heading to the DQ. Officer said, "Ya'll just beat us didn't ya". I thought, o'heck, I'm done for. But, the nice officer gave me a warning only. Thank you sir.

First time I ever been to this so-called stadium. And, I hope they can at least get the gravel removed from it when our SV returns next year. And get "Bubba" to get his tape measure out, and fix the crossbars. I can see a few inches off, but feet? Great call Coach Kornegay taking the north goal pole with our second half option.:doh:

YTBulldogs
10-15-2012, 09:22 AM
Might add, the kid's loved it like this. They said, "this field is like the place we started playing organized football on". They are right. This senior class started out on the Yoakum Band Field, then upgraded to the rodeo arena parking lot, before Mr. Kelley, with YISD, allowed us to use Bulldog Stadium, when Yoakum CYFL was started by Coach McCracken.

Snotbubbles
10-15-2012, 09:58 AM
LOL. And I thought the "Rock Pile" was bad. Who else has to play there? Better tape them ankles.

Old Tiger
10-15-2012, 01:16 PM
The 3 worst fields I ever played on were

Elgin(before they built the new stadium)
La Grange
Cameron Yoe

hookandladder
10-15-2012, 02:21 PM

La Grange
Cameron Yoe

I will agree La Grange stands,locker rooms and bathrooms are horrible but the playing surface is fine.

Rabid Cougar
10-15-2012, 03:57 PM

La Grange
Cameron Yoe

Give you + 1 on Elgins old field and LaGrange's fire ant bed. But Yoe Field?
One never got muddy there even during the wettest of Fridays. Might have sufficated from the dust off the old track but where else can you be right in your coaches huddle on the visitors side????????

YTBulldogs
10-15-2012, 07:07 PM
I will agree La Grange stands,locker rooms and bathrooms are horrible but the playing surface is fine.

Play it on ya'lls baseball field. Now, that's sweet.

Pudlugger
10-15-2012, 07:55 PM
This field is really a disgrace.

YTBulldogs
10-15-2012, 08:33 PM
This field is really a disgrace.

Some of it is easy to fix. Like the crossbar's and the gravel. Have a little respect for your stadium and put a little effort in cleaning it up. Not to mention, be in compliance of the rules and have regulation goal post's for goodness sake. :tisk:

1st and goal
10-15-2012, 09:00 PM
Might have sufficated from the dust off the old track but where else can you be right in your coaches huddle on the visitors side????????

Cotton Bowl

YTBulldogs
10-15-2012, 09:04 PM
I called a game long time ago on the old Hutto Field. That was pitiful as I recall. Not as bad as Barry. It didn't have the hazards, but was nasty. And, I recall in Hondo I think, a fence made out of something solid, use to be right off the playing surface, and I think a tree that over hung a goal post. LOL. Seen some sad facilities over the years.

sTxforlife
10-15-2012, 11:03 PM

La Grange
Cameron Yoe
I will have to agree with La Grange there, their visitor locker room is the worst i've ever been in.

bag-o-chips
10-16-2012, 07:05 AM
What is wrong with Hondo? Nice turf and there is no track so the sides of the stands are very close to the field and are made with used runway planks from WW2 era. The tree is behind the goalpost off the field and if you make the kick it goes into the tree. I also love the owl that lights it's eyes up on the scoreboard with a score. Not that bad a place. Johnson City is one of the worst as fields are concerned but at least they finally replaced the candles they had with lights!

pancho villa
10-16-2012, 08:03 AM
I will have to agree with La Grange there, their visitor locker room is the worst i've ever been in.

We played there last year. Not nice however I have seen way worse. LaMarque, Wharton, Hempstead(have to walk 1/2 mile to field) Van Vleck, Galveston Ball, The old Santa Fe and Angleton dressing areas were gross before they built new stadiums.

LHPfactory
10-17-2012, 04:49 PM
I played a JV game in Brenham in the 80's, it wasnt at Cub Stadium, I guess it was the Jr High, Im pretty sure it was constructed of brick overlaid with hay. It was the worst thing ive been on.

hookandladder
10-18-2012, 07:04 AM
We played there last year. Not nice however I have seen way worse. LaMarque, Wharton, Hempstead(have to walk 1/2 mile to field) Van Vleck, Galveston Ball, The old Santa Fe and Angleton dressing areas were gross before they built new stadiums.

Our new HC moved the visitor's dressing room over to our side 3 years ago, the visitor's dressing room is our JH area. Definitely and upgrade to the old one, Just horrible. You can blame our facilities on one person, our old Super. He has been personally able to politic against our school bond for the last 2 times we have tried to get one passed, needless to say that is one person that is not in it for the kids. Just pitiful and not just talking about the sports side, our lower grades classrooms should be condemmed.

1st and goal
10-18-2012, 08:33 AM
Our new HC moved the visitor's dressing room over to our side 3 years ago, the visitor's dressing room is our JH area. Definitely and upgrade to the old one, Just horrible. You can blame our facilities on one person, our old Super. He has been personally able to politic against our school bond for the last 2 times we have tried to get one passed, needless to say that is one person that is not in it for the kids. Just pitiful and not just talking about the sports side, our lower grades classrooms should be condemmed.

Must have some tightwad in him.