PDA

View Full Version : Cowboys @ Ravens

Roughneck93
10-14-2012, 11:54 AM
Game is about to kickoff...

I'm taking the Ravens by 10. :(

Roughneck93
10-14-2012, 12:27 PM
That's going to be a TD for Felix. Nice opening drive for Dallas.

Roughneck93
10-14-2012, 12:43 PM
Dallas is just gashing the Ravens D with the run.

defense51
10-14-2012, 12:51 PM
The Cowboys are actually running the ball with success. :clap:

OldBison75
10-14-2012, 12:54 PM
Watch and learn. If you guys can establish the run against the Jackets, you can control the game.

Roughneck93
10-14-2012, 01:02 PM
Huge penalty on Dallas. Damn..

Farmersfan
10-14-2012, 01:04 PM
Yea, I'm betting the Ravens would take a down lineman covering their TE every time. Ryan makes me wonder sometimes.

Roughneck93
10-14-2012, 01:14 PM
Of course, another pick...

defense51
10-14-2012, 01:16 PM
Farmersfan, are you wearing your #9 Jersey today?

Farmersfan
10-14-2012, 01:16 PM
:flaming::flaming: I knew it was too much to expect Romo to play even 1/2 a game without screwing his team. On the previous possession he calls for the snap 2 plays in a row before his team mates get set. Damn it!!!!

Farmersfan
10-14-2012, 01:19 PM
What do you guys think about those last two holding calls against the Dallas linemen? Seems to me those were very, very marginal calls yet they both killed the Cowboy's drive deep in the Ravens end. I'm sensing pretty good home cooking going on here..........

Farmersfan
10-14-2012, 01:26 PM
Like I said, HOME COOKING!

Roughneck93
10-14-2012, 01:52 PM
Wow! :dispntd:

Farmersfan
10-14-2012, 02:36 PM
Why doesn't Romo let his motion men get set before snapping the ball? That's 3 times in the red zone in this game he's done that.....

Roughneck93
10-14-2012, 02:37 PM
Why doesn't Romo let his motion men get set before snapping the ball? That's 3 times in the red zone in this game he's done that.....

Yeah that's ridiculous. Probably because the play clock is already down to one or two seconds.

Roughneck93
10-14-2012, 03:04 PM
Terrible call on that penalty by Felix.

lbjacj
10-14-2012, 03:15 PM
Catch the ball with your hands!!!! Bryant HAS to make that catch!!!

And they get the onsides kick and then miss the FG!!!

83Indian
10-14-2012, 03:15 PM
Come on Dez.Catch the ball

83Indian
10-14-2012, 03:20 PM
OMG. What are they doing letting the clock run

83Indian
10-14-2012, 03:22 PM
Dallas could be such a good team. Running the clock down to zero on every play, they just look amateurish.

Roughneck93
10-14-2012, 03:22 PM
OMG. What are they doing letting the clock run

Exactly! Cowboys just have horrible clock management. Pathetic...

Farmersfan
10-14-2012, 03:29 PM
And now we will have to listen to Garrett tell the media how he will go back and watch game film and try to fix the mistakes and learn from the mistakes and see where we can improve and see where we need to get better and lalalalalalalalalalalalallalalalalalalalaallaallal alalalalalal!

defense51
10-14-2012, 03:33 PM
Dez Bryant is the new Terrell Owens

Roughneck93
10-14-2012, 03:35 PM
Dez Bryant is the new Terrell Owens

Damn, that's a catch that has to be made.

83Indian
10-14-2012, 03:35 PM
And now we will have to listen to Garrett tell the media how he will go back and watch game film and try to fix the mistakes and learn from the mistakes and see where we can improve and see where we need to get better and lalalalalalalalalalalalallalalalalalalalaallaallal alalalalalal!

How about we call a play and run it with more than 1 second on the play clock? all the defense has to do is countdown to 1 and jump the play

Txbroadcaster
10-14-2012, 03:42 PM

gonna stack the good plays and good days LOL

defense51
10-14-2012, 03:54 PM
What happened to Murray?

Txbroadcaster
10-14-2012, 04:06 PM
What happened to Murray?

foot sprain

BwdLion73
10-14-2012, 04:22 PM
What happen to lantern jaw Ray Lewis?

lbjacj
10-14-2012, 04:27 PM
What happen to lantern jaw Ray Lewis?

elbow injury

Farmersfan
10-14-2012, 08:02 PM
gonna stack the good plays and good days LOL

Overall I am pretty happy with how the Cowboys played today. If they play like that every week they will win a lot of ball games. But just like I have been saying for years this team isn't gonna be able to overcome the brain dead mistakes by their QB. I said a month ago Romo was doing more harm than good with all the play changing at the line. He is creating penalties with his complete lack of timing. And he once again basically cost his team any chance of winning with having to rush the snap and not letting his players get reset after he changes the play at the line. Not once! Not twice! But 3 damn times! Overall he had a pretty dang good game but damn it he always finds a way to hurt his team. ALWAYS!

Txbroadcaster
10-14-2012, 08:20 PM
Overall I am pretty happy with how the Cowboys played today. If they play like that every week they will win a lot of ball games. But just like I have been saying for years this team isn't gonna be able to overcome the brain dead mistakes by their QB. I said a month ago Romo was doing more harm than good with all the play changing at the line. He is creating penalties with his complete lack of timing. And he once again basically cost his team any chance of winning with having to rush the snap and not letting his players get reset after he changes the play at the line. Not once! Not twice! But 3 damn times! Overall he had a pretty dang good game but damn it he always finds a way to hurt his team. ALWAYS!

Romo does not change the play just to change it.....go to the line with two plays look at the D make a play call..If Orton was the QB same thing would be happening....Billick said it best..The coaches either need to get the play call to him quicker or simplfy the play calls so they can get to the line quicker.

But you know what...QBs all over the league do this now...they dont have OL who are jumping all over the place.

Romo has to call for snap at 1 second on clock no matter what the WRs are doing or it will be a delay

Did you see Austin and Ogletree loafing back to the line before the FG try...*** you would think they would know to get back asap

I am like you..most part happy with the game..felt D still had a chance to have that lock down drive after Dallas cut it to 1 but the Ravens drove down with ease and scored But the D overall played well outside of two drives IMO

Penalties in the redzone on both sides of the ball are getting tiresome.

I would not look to much into the run game having success..Ravens are just bad at run stopping.

He wont get credit but that 18 play drive overcoming 3rd and 27 was Romo in a crunchtime moment agianst a quality team making the plays his teams needs to win, Dez so good for the day has to make that catch

coach
10-14-2012, 08:44 PM
Am I the only one wondering how joe dicamilis still has a job?

Macarthur
10-14-2012, 09:20 PM
Am I the only one wondering how joe dicamilis still has a job?

No. He's had 3 punts blocked for TDs in the last18 games and that abortion today. Our ST have been beyond bad. If it wasn't for bailey, they would be a complete disaster.

Eagle 1
10-14-2012, 09:33 PM
How in the hell can anybody be happy with a loss?
Yall have lost your mind.
The Cowboys will be lucky to finish 7-9.
I do agree, I cringe everytime I hear Romo say "kill...kill...kill". JUST RUN THE DAMN PLAY!!! The best way to react to what the defense is doing is for every player on the team know their assignments based on how the defense is lined up. Don't change the play EVERY single down.

Farmersfan
10-14-2012, 09:40 PM
Romo does not change the play just to change it.....go to the line with two plays look at the D make a play call..If Orton was the QB same thing would be happening....Billick said it best..The coaches either need to get the play call to him quicker or simplfy the play calls so they can get to the line quicker.

But you know what...QBs all over the league do this now...they dont have OL who are jumping all over the place.

Romo has to call for snap at 1 second on clock no matter what the WRs are doing or it will be a delay

Did you see Austin and Ogletree loafing back to the line before the FG try...*** you would think they would know to get back asap

I am like you..most part happy with the game..felt D still had a chance to have that lock down drive after Dallas cut it to 1 but the Ravens drove down with ease and scored But the D overall played well outside of two drives IMO

I would not look to much into the run game having success..Ravens are just bad at run stopping.

He wont get credit but that 18 play drive overcoming 3rd and 27 was Romo in a crunchtime moment agianst a quality team making the plays his teams needs to win, Dez so good for the day has to make that catch

You are trying too hard to let Romo off the hook TXB. We all understand what he is trying to do. We all also know he has to be better with his timing. If there isn't enough time for him to change the play and allow the others to get set then HE CANNOT CHANGE THE PLAY!!!! Duh!! I watch a lot of football and I don't see any other QBs going through the crap motions and clock panic that Romo goes through a lot of the time. The changing of the play is meant to give his team a BETTER OPTION and should work to their benefit. But if changing the play puts his team in a bad way by not allowing enough time and having to snap the ball in a all out panic then it certainly hasn't helped the team. Nobody can make that decision except Romo.

Farmersfan
10-14-2012, 09:46 PM
How in the hell can anybody be happy with a loss?
Yall have lost your mind.
The Cowboys will be lucky to finish 7-9.
I do agree, I cringe everytime I hear Romo say "kill...kill...kill". JUST RUN THE DAMN PLAY!!! The best way to react to what the defense is doing is for every player on the team know their assignments based on how the defense is lined up. Don't change the play EVERY single down.

A couple of weeks ago we had this discussion. I said then that it really doesn't make much sense changing the play all the time. The defense forces these audibles by faking a blitz or lining up in a 8 man front and as soon as Romo changes the play they drop out of it again. If I was the defense playing Dallas I would want Romo changing the play. Romo doesn't handle it very well and it creates chaos a lot of the time.

Txbroadcaster
10-15-2012, 12:01 AM
You are trying too hard to let Romo off the hook TXB. We all understand what he is trying to do. We all also know he has to be better with his timing. If there isn't enough time for him to change the play and allow the others to get set then HE CANNOT CHANGE THE PLAY!!!! Duh!! I watch a lot of football and I don't see any other QBs going through the crap motions and clock panic that Romo goes through a lot of the time. The changing of the play is meant to give his team a BETTER OPTION and should work to their benefit. But if changing the play puts his team in a bad way by not allowing enough time and having to snap the ball in a all out panic then it certainly hasn't helped the team. Nobody can make that decision except Romo.

again...the HC/OC whose system it is teaches the QB to do option A or Option B...that is what Romo has been taught since day one of Garrett being the OC...so you want Romo to go agianst what his coach wants...of course if Garrett came out and said that on a big 3rd down and 2 that Romo did not change the play even though the defense aligned in a way he should have changed it, you would be one of the first ones yelling SEE ROMO cant read a defense and did not make the correct audible.

Garrett has to get the plays in quicker or change how he calls it...I agree with you on all the confusion I am just saying that lays at the feet of your OC...and that is why I think the OC needs to be someone besides the HC...to much thinking going on in the game for Garrett to be a HC AND thinking 3 plays ahead like a good OC should

GrTigers6
10-15-2012, 05:39 AM

He wont get credit but that 18 play drive overcoming 3rd and 27 was Romo in a crunchtime moment agianst a quality team making the plays his teams needs to win, Dez so good for the day has to make that catchEspecially overcoming the bogus Chop block call on jones, that was ridiculous.
ANd FArmersfan, Dont tell me you would be happy if Romo came up to the line and didnt change the play if they called a running play and there were 8 in the box and single coverage outside and they get a 2 yard loss. You have audibles in ever league from peewee all the way up to NFL. Problem is they need to get the play in intime to line up and read the defense so they can Kill the play of needed. Just like on the 4th down play that they were gonna try and get them to jump, They werent even at the line for 4 seconds. Romo barely got to say one word before time was out. That is on the coaches.

GrTigers6
10-15-2012, 05:47 AM
Besides if Bryant would have caught that ball or Bailey makes that fieldgoal than we wouldnt be having this discussion. We would be talkin about how Romo came from 11 behind to beat the Ravens at Home. Which is very rare. They have won their last 14 home games.
The other Problem I had with the offense was the run game was used way too much. Yes its working well but run a play action ever so often to keep them honest, and possibly break a long play ever so often. If you have the lead then run it until they stop you.
Again we need to Discuss how the defense gave up after the offense came back to within 1. This offense could only score 9 against the Chiefs. and our D gives up 24. We need to play less conservative on D and come after these QB's. Get them rattled and force turnovers.

Farmersfan
10-15-2012, 06:37 AM
Especially overcoming the bogus Chop block call on jones, that was ridiculous.
ANd FArmersfan, Dont tell me you would be happy if Romo came up to the line and didnt change the play if they called a running play and there were 8 in the box and single coverage outside and they get a 2 yard loss. You have audibles in ever league from peewee all the way up to NFL. Problem is they need to get the play in intime to line up and read the defense so they can Kill the play of needed. Just like on the 4th down play that they were gonna try and get them to jump, They werent even at the line for 4 seconds. Romo barely got to say one word before time was out. That is on the coaches.

Every single week it's something that you guys find to make excuses about. EVERY SINGLE WEEK! If you guys think Garrett demands that Romo change the play regardless of how much time is left on the play clock then that would explain a lot about ya'll. You don't have a clue! It is 100% Romo's read and react responsibility. And right now whether because of the coaches not getting the play in quick enough or the other players not getting in the huddle quick enough or the cheerleaders yelling too loud it isn't working. Doesn't Romo have to know that? Doesn't Romo have to understand how much time he needs to change the play and get all his offense set? Doesn't the field captain and leader have to have some kind of control over the game? Romo is the COG that makes this offense go. If he adibles and runs out of time that is completely his mistake. Now perhaps you think Garrett should tell Romo that if he doesn't see 12 seconds or 10 seconds on the play clock then he can't change the play. But if that's true the Romo is even less of a assett than I have said for 6 years. Get his stupid butt off the field.......

Farmersfan
10-15-2012, 06:44 AM
Besides if Bryant would have caught that ball or Bailey makes that fieldgoal than we wouldnt be having this discussion. We would be talkin about how Romo came from 11 behind to beat the Ravens at Home. Which is very rare. They have won their last 14 home games.
The other Problem I had with the offense was the run game was used way too much. Yes its working well but run a play action ever so often to keep them honest, and possibly break a long play ever so often. If you have the lead then run it until they stop you.
Again we need to Discuss how the defense gave up after the offense came back to within 1. This offense could only score 9 against the Chiefs. and our D gives up 24. We need to play less conservative on D and come after these QB's. Get them rattled and force turnovers.

Why don't you defend Dez and make excuses for him like you do for Romo? They both have earned a reputation around the NFL. You guys make excuses about Romo's reputation but throw Dez under the bus at every single mistake......

hookandladder
10-15-2012, 06:56 AM
Why don't you defend Dez and make excuses for him like you do for Romo? They both have earned a reputation around the NFL. You guys make excuses about Romo's reputation but throw Dez under the bus at every single mistake......

You definitely have a point there, If not for Dez yesterday Dallas losses by 2 or 3 Td's.

GrTigers6
10-15-2012, 07:56 AM
Every single week it's something that you guys find to make excuses about. EVERY SINGLE WEEK! If you guys think Garrett demands that Romo change the play regardless of how much time is left on the play clock then that would explain a lot about ya'll. You don't have a clue! It is 100% Romo's read and react responsibility. And right now whether because of the coaches not getting the play in quick enough or the other players not getting in the huddle quick enough or the cheerleaders yelling too loud it isn't working. Doesn't Romo have to know that? Doesn't Romo have to understand how much time he needs to change the play and get all his offense set? Doesn't the field captain and leader have to have some kind of control over the game? Romo is the COG that makes this offense go. If he adibles and runs out of time that is completely his mistake. Now perhaps you think Garrett should tell Romo that if he doesn't see 12 seconds or 10 seconds on the play clock then he can't change the play. But if that's true the Romo is even less of a assett than I have said for 6 years. Get his stupid butt off the field.......Im not defending Romo, I am just stating that he is running Garretts offense. And its up to Garrett to make the calls soon enough to audible if needed. As far as Dez you talk about Romo playing a good game except for a INT and say he has to play consistent yet you complain about us talking bad about dez missing an easy game tying catch. Why is that different?
I agree that they need to simplify but trying to run a play that wont work doesnt do any more good than getting a five yard penalty. Lets say he doesnt change the play and the rb gets blown up for a five yard loss. Which is better 2 and 15 or 1st and 15?

Macarthur
10-15-2012, 08:35 AM
There's lots of blame to go around on this deal.

Romo had a decent game, but had another crucial error that resulted in points off the board for Dallas and on the board for Balt. Romo's got to manage that end of game better.

I like some things about Garrett. I think he has a good eye for players. I like the makeup of the guys he's trying to fill out the roster with. HOWEVER, he simply can not coordinate the offense and be the HC. The HC has to manage that end of game. He is not capable of doing that and deciding what the run on 3rd and 4. The OC duties need to be handed over the Callahan. Period.

Dez beasted out. That's the guy we thought we were getting in the draft. Hope he can build on that and do it consistently. Drop on the conversion was his only negative play.

Running game and OL looked much better. Hopefully we can carry that over to next week.

Defense only had to defend for 7 possessions. Gave up 3 TDs and a FG. The defense is like Romo. They can play well for most of the game, but they will have periods of time where they are swiss cheese. In the NFL, there is no excuse for a RB, much less the offenses best player, to run free on simple pass routes. Ryan's scheme is unsound.

ST's continue to cost this team points. Joe D has to be replaced, possibly mid season.

Officiating was brutal. Holding on Smith was a terrible call and put them out of range for points. The chop block was a bad call. The PI on Clairborne was possbily one of the worst calls I've seen this season. Not to take responsiblity off Romo because it was not a good decision, but Ogletree got mauled by Reed on that INT.

Farmersfan
10-15-2012, 08:45 AM
Im not defending Romo, I am just stating that he is running Garretts offense. And its up to Garrett to make the calls soon enough to audible if needed. As far as Dez you talk about Romo playing a good game except for a INT and say he has to play consistent yet you complain about us talking bad about dez missing an easy game tying catch. Why is that different?
I agree that they need to simplify but trying to run a play that wont work doesnt do any more good than getting a five yard penalty. Lets say he doesnt change the play and the rb gets blown up for a five yard loss. Which is better 2 and 15 or 1st and 15?

I have not excused Dez! I said 3 weeks ago to bench him! I said last week to bench him! And I'm saying this week to bench him! I simply pointed out you aren't using the same criteria for criticism for Romo as you use for the rest of the players.

FYI: I polled 100 elementary school children at the Metro Plex School for the blind, deaf and dumb and all 100 of them answered the same way to the question: "What is the 1 thing you would tell Tony Romo to NOT DO on that last passing play with 18 seconds left in the game and they need a good 10 to 15 yards to make it a good FG attempt"? Every single one of them said not to throw the ball short over the middle unless he is positive he can pick up the needed yardage because they will have to use their last timeout and won't get another chance to pick up yardage. And what does Romo do? He throws a 1 yard pass to Dez Bryant. **********ONE FRICKIN' YARD********. That is the biggest brain dead play of the entire game and nobody is talking about that one. I question why Dez was even running that route in that situation but it should not have mattered if they had a veteran QB. Well apparently it did matter. I guess that too was Jason Garrett's fault...............................

Macarthur
10-15-2012, 08:57 AM
I have not excused Dez! I said 3 weeks ago to bench him! I said last week to bench him! And I'm saying this week to bench him! I simply pointed out you aren't using the same criteria for criticism for Romo as you use for the rest of the players.

FYI: I polled 100 elementary school children at the Metro Plex School for the blind, deaf and dumb and all 100 of them answered the same way to the question: "What is the 1 thing you would tell Tony Romo to NOT DO on that last passing play with 18 seconds left in the game and they need a good 10 to 15 yards to make it a good FG attempt"? Every single one of them said not to throw the ball short over the middle unless he is positive he can pick up the needed yardage because they will have to use their last timeout and won't get another chance to pick up yardage. And what does Romo do? He throws a 1 yard pass to Dez Bryant. **********ONE FRICKIN' YARD********. That is the biggest brain dead play of the entire game and nobody is talking about that one. I question why Dez was even running that route in that situation but it should not have mattered if they had a veteran QB. Well apparently it did matter. I guess that too was Jason Garrett's fault...............................

I think they could have gotten another play off. They had plenty of time to clock the ball and run another play before they use their TO. Or they could have used the timeout and had about 20 seconds left. That is plenty of time to run another play and then clock the ball.

If you have an issue with Romo's decission on that play then you have to put much of the blame on Garrett, too. The reason is if you watch the replay that channel 5 showed, you can see that Ogletree and Miles both ran deep routes down the field. To me, that's a poor play design because to get back and clock the ball, the WRs would have had to sprint another 20 or 30 yards back to the LOS.

I think Romo should have blame in how the end was managed, but you simply can not take all the blame off the coach that has coached him for 5 years now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZbEINpbOag

Farmersfan
10-15-2012, 09:14 AM
There's lots of blame to go around on this deal.

Romo had a decent game, but had another crucial error that resulted in points off the board for Dallas and on the board for Balt. Romo's got to manage that end of game better.

I like some things about Garrett. I think he has a good eye for players. I like the makeup of the guys he's trying to fill out the roster with. HOWEVER, he simply can not coordinate the offense and be the HC. The HC has to manage that end of game. He is not capable of doing that and deciding what the run on 3rd and 4. The OC duties need to be handed over the Callahan. Period.

Dez beasted out. That's the guy we thought we were getting in the draft. Hope he can build on that and do it consistently. Drop on the conversion was his only negative play.

Running game and OL looked much better. Hopefully we can carry that over to next week.

Defense only had to defend for 7 possessions. Gave up 3 TDs and a FG. The defense is like Romo. They can play well for most of the game, but they will have periods of time where they are swiss cheese. In the NFL, there is no excuse for a RB, much less the offenses best player, to run free on simple pass routes. Ryan's scheme is unsound.

ST's continue to cost this team points. Joe D has to be replaced, possibly mid season.

Officiating was brutal. Holding on Smith was a terrible call and put them out of range for points. The chop block was a bad call. The PI on Clairborne was possbily one of the worst calls I've seen this season. Not to take responsiblity off Romo because it was not a good decision, but Ogletree got mauled by Reed on that INT.

I agree on the officiating! And although Dez had a good game overall I still saw a lot of loafing on plays to the opposite side of the field. He still talks far too much and make far too many blunders on easy plays. I for one am tired of the Cowboys giving receivers 3 or 4 years to become average! Miles Austin took several years to become average. Ogletree is in his 4th season and has managed a career 42 catches and 2 TD's. Now Dez is our superstar receiver who has 1 good game followed by 2 or 3 disappearing acts or worst yet, mistake filled games!
The Dallas defense was not stellar yesterday but on the season they are ranked #2 in the NFL and the team is 2-3. With all the injuries and missing parts the defense is still a top defense in this league. On the other hand we have a offense that is #7 in yards in the NFL but #29 in points in the NFL. Can you say 2009 all over again?

Bullaholic
10-15-2012, 09:15 AM
Jason Garrett's offense is just too complex---so complex that he and the players cannot even co-ordinate in crunch time with clock management. When the offense was dumbed-down the Cowboys moved the ball consistently and on-time. Now, I'm not suggesting that the Cowboys run every play, or have a 5 or 6 play playbook, but something has to be done about the understanding of the players in the execution of the Garrett offense. You recall I have said many times that the the Princeton-grad offense does not translate down to the hood very well---and it is showing time and time again. Give these players something that football players can understand and execute consistently. That is the main element which is missing with the Cowboys---consistency---because the offense is just too complicated, and Romo is compounding things with the complex audibles on almost every play---if you will notice he has to run around and tell nearly every player individually what he is doing on nearly every play, and I'll bet that half don't have a clue what he wants, or what they souuld be doing---and it shows in excution with the penalties, wrong routes, etc., etc.

Farmersfan
10-15-2012, 09:39 AM
I think they could have gotten another play off. They had plenty of time to clock the ball and run another play before they use their TO. Or they could have used the timeout and had about 20 seconds left. That is plenty of time to run another play and then clock the ball.

If you have an issue with Romo's decission on that play then you have to put much of the blame on Garrett, too. The reason is if you watch the replay that channel 5 showed, you can see that Ogletree and Miles both ran deep routes down the field. To me, that's a poor play design because to get back and clock the ball, the WRs would have had to sprint another 20 or 30 yards back to the LOS.

I think Romo should have blame in how the end was managed, but you simply can not take all the blame off the coach that has coached him for 5 years now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZbEINpbOag

I have had issues with Jason Garrett since he came here as a OC. But i'm pretty sure Garrett has NO PLAYS in his playbook that doesn't give his QB options. Even in the very rare case of a single receiver route the QB still has the option to not throw the ball if the receiver is not open. In most instances the QB has several options to chose from. So isn't it a judgement error on the QB if he takes the WRONG option? Seriously? Tony Romo is not and can not be a robot that simply does what Jason Garrett tells him to do. If Garrett doesn't get the play called in time then the QB cannot audible the play! If Jason Garrett does not call a play that fits the defense the QB cannot simply throw the ball to covered receivers! If Garrett does not handle the time clock correctly that doesn't excuse Tony Romo not handling the time clock correctly. at least in the areas where he has control of. Romo is not a rookie. I except no excuses for Tony Romo not using better judgement on the field. And I don't understand how you do.....

Macarthur
10-15-2012, 09:44 AM
I agree on the officiating! And although Dez had a good game overall I still saw a lot of loafing on plays to the opposite side of the field. He still talks far too much and make far too many blunders on easy plays. I for one am tired of the Cowboys giving receivers 3 or 4 years to become average! Miles Austin took several years to become average. Ogletree is in his 4th season and has managed a career 42 catches and 2 TD's. Now Dez is our superstar receiver who has 1 good game followed by 2 or 3 disappearing acts or worst yet, mistake filled games!
The Dallas defense was not stellar yesterday but on the season they are ranked #2 in the NFL and the team is 2-3. With all the injuries and missing parts the defense is still a top defense in this league. On the other hand we have a offense that is #7 in yards in the NFL but #29 in points in the NFL. Can you say 2009 all over again?

I agree on the Dez with regards to consistency, but I think overall, you're being too hard on Dez. He's in his 3rd year. Typically, it takes WRs a couple of years and he's right on track with that. I think you're being nit picky by saying he loafs. Dez is a knucklehead but he was very good yesterday. Miles is a different story. He was a guy that worked hard and got his chance; got paid and appears to have coasted. That's really unfortunate. I think Ogletree should be better, also, but you do realize the guy is a rookie FA?

As for the defense, the stats can be very deceiving. Just like the offense in recent years has been ranked pretty high, yet had issues at critical times, I think the defense is the same. Statistically, the defense looks fine to good, but given the little number of plays they had to play yesterday, they got gashed for big yardage at the most inopportune times.

For example:

They are #2 in yards against and that's how the NFL ranks the defenses, but a further look into things show some issues.

They are 17 in total points against and most teams haven't had their bye yet
They are 21 in yards per play
They are 16 in 3rd down %
They are 25 in fumbles forced
They are 32 (last) in INTs.

I agree that the offense has been a problem so far, but to say the defense is 'fine' is misleading.

Farmersfan
10-15-2012, 10:44 AM
I agree on the Dez with regards to consistency, but I think overall, you're being too hard on Dez. He's in his 3rd year. Typically, it takes WRs a couple of years and he's right on track with that. I think you're being nit picky by saying he loafs. Dez is a knucklehead but he was very good yesterday. Miles is a different story. He was a guy that worked hard and got his chance; got paid and appears to have coasted. That's really unfortunate. I think Ogletree should be better, also, but you do realize the guy is a rookie FA?

As for the defense, the stats can be very deceiving. Just like the offense in recent years has been ranked pretty high, yet had issues at critical times, I think the defense is the same. Statistically, the defense looks fine to good, but given the little number of plays they had to play yesterday, they got gashed for big yardage at the most inopportune times.

For example:

They are #2 in yards against and that's how the NFL ranks the defenses, but a further look into things show some issues.

They are 17 in total points against and most teams haven't had their bye yet
They are 21 in yards per play
They are 16 in 3rd down %
They are 25 in fumbles forced
They are 32 (last) in INTs.

I agree that the offense has been a problem so far, but to say the defense is 'fine' is misleading.

Take away just the Tony Romo pick 6's and the defense has given up 105 total points. That's #7 in the NFL. Take away the blocked punt points by the special teams and the kickoff return points and they are now top 5 easily. Take away the numerous short fields they have had to defend and they are certainly in the top 1 or 2 in scoring as well as in total yards. The interception total and fumble total is not a stat that gives a negative indicator unless the points scored or yardage gained against them reflects a negative because of it. Since the defense is able to prevent points and total yards even without the interceptions this is a mute point. Besides, The opponents have only thrown 130 times against this defense (ranked #1) so the opportunities are not there like they are for other teams. 1 interception through 5 games is disturbing but it certainly hasn't resulted in excessive point being scored against them. Of course you can always take the stance TXB always took about the 09' defense and blamed the defense for not helping the offense to score but i'm pretty sure you are too smart for that.

cougartino
10-15-2012, 10:47 AM
I've yet to figure why it takes so long to get to the line and run the freakin' play - COACHING
I can't see why another play was not run to get closer then use the timeout - COACHING
I can't see why #40 did not know he needed to get off the field at a crucial time - COACHING
Why is sorry @$$ Cam Newton about to have an all-pro day next Sunday - COACHING

They guy who jumped 24 miles from space had a better chance than this cast of characters.

Macarthur
10-15-2012, 10:54 AM
Take away just the Tony Romo pick 6's and the defense has given up 105 total points. That's #7 in the NFL. Take away the blocked punt points by the special teams and the kickoff return points and they are now top 5 easily. Take away the numerous short fields they have had to defend and they are certainly in the top 1 or 2 in scoring as well as in total yards. The interception total and fumble total is not a stat that gives a negative indicator unless the points scored or yardage gained against them reflects a negative because of it. Since the defense is able to prevent points and total yards even without the interceptions this is a mute point. Besides, The opponents have only thrown 130 times against this defense (ranked #1) so the opportunities are not there like they are for other teams. 1 interception through 5 games is disturbing but it certainly hasn't resulted in excessive point being scored against them. Of course you can always take the stance TXB always took about the 09' defense and blamed the defense for not helping the offense to score but i'm pretty sure you are too smart for that.

All your points are fair points. And I think the defense is def better than last year, but the one area they just don't get it done is turnovers. Going back into last year, they have now gone 11 games without a DB intercepting a pass. That's very hard to do! Every game or two, the opposing QB will just give you a gift many times.

Farmersfan
10-15-2012, 11:20 AM
All your points are fair points. And I think the defense is def better than last year, but the one area they just don't get it done is turnovers. Going back into last year, they have now gone 11 games without a DB intercepting a pass. That's very hard to do! Every game or two, the opposing QB will just give you a gift many times.

And this matters HOW?

If the defense was giving up 30 points a game and 350 yards per game we could point to the lack of turnovers as a big reason for that. But they don't give up extra points because they can't get turnovers. If you take away just the Romo pick 6's and the 14 points by the special teams this defense has given up 91 points. That's 18 Points a game. That's just 4 point per game more than the Chicago Bears who have 13 more interceptions than the Cowboys. The Chicago Bears also have 8 more sacks than the cowboys do. The Cowboys give up fewer total yards per game than the Bears do even though the Bears average 2.5 more turnovers a game and 1.6 more sacks per game than the Cowboys do. Of course it would be awesome if the defense could get those turnovers but the point is the defense is doing the defensive job well enough to win. Perhaps they aren't providing a helping hand to the offense but I can't see holding the defense responsible for that. Keep in mind that based on what has happened so far, if the Cowboys defense had the number of interceptions and sacks that the Bears have had they would be setting the all time NFL record for fewest points allowed. Is that the kind of defense we have to have before Tony Romo can win?

GrTigers6
10-15-2012, 11:37 AM
And this matters HOW?

If the defense was giving up 30 points a game and 350 yards per game we could point to the lack of turnovers as a big reason for that. But they don't give up extra points because they can't get turnovers. If you take away just the Romo pick 6's and the 14 points by the special teams this defense has given up 91 points. That's 18 Points a game. That's just 4 point per game more than the Chicago Bears who have 13 more interceptions than the Cowboys. The Chicago Bears also have 8 more sacks than the cowboys do. The Cowboys give up fewer total yards per game than the Bears do even though the Bears average 2.5 more turnovers a game and 1.6 more sacks per game than the Cowboys do. Of course it would be awesome if the defense could get those turnovers but the point is the defense is doing the defensive job well enough to win. Perhaps they aren't providing a helping hand to the offense but I can't see holding the defense responsible for that. Keep in mind that based on what has happened so far, if the Cowboys defense had the number of interceptions and sacks that the Bears have had they would be setting the all time NFL record for fewest points allowed. Is that the kind of defense we have to have before Tony Romo can win?We do need a defense that can keep the game close when the offense is producing. Everytime Romo bringsthem back they gave up a long drive and not a field goal a knife in the heart TD. ANd even though Romo brought them back yet again, it should not have come to that. Now that being said I blame that all on Ryan for being conservative and not attacking the offense and forcing bad decisions. I know the Offense had their chances and for whatever reason blew it but if the D could of held them to a field goal and TD in the second half instead of two td's then we win the game.
So what Im saying is for the Cowboys to win we need a complete game from everyone on the team. Not just one side or the other or not just part of the game.

Macarthur
10-15-2012, 11:39 AM
And this matters HOW?

If the defense was giving up 30 points a game and 350 yards per game we could point to the lack of turnovers as a big reason for that. But they don't give up extra points because they can't get turnovers. If you take away just the Romo pick 6's and the 14 points by the special teams this defense has given up 91 points. That's 18 Points a game. That's just 4 point per game more than the Chicago Bears who have 13 more interceptions than the Cowboys. The Chicago Bears also have 8 more sacks than the cowboys do. The Cowboys give up fewer total yards per game than the Bears do even though the Bears average 2.5 more turnovers a game and 1.6 more sacks per game than the Cowboys do. Of course it would be awesome if the defense could get those turnovers but the point is the defense is doing the defensive job well enough to win. Perhaps they aren't providing a helping hand to the offense but I can't see holding the defense responsible for that. Keep in mind that based on what has happened so far, if the Cowboys defense had the number of interceptions and sacks that the Bears have had they would be setting the all time NFL record for fewest points allowed. Is that the kind of defense we have to have before Tony Romo can win?

The difference between you and I is that I think the team has significant flaws on offense and defense, and I include Romo in those issues. You, on the other hand, want to absolve the defense of any responsiblity.

Macarthur
10-15-2012, 11:45 AM
Norm, just had an intersting stat about TOP. After Balt's first drive that was 7:10 and resulted in 3 points, they had a total TOP of 12:47 the rest of the game and scored 21 points offensively.

Txbroadcaster
10-15-2012, 12:39 PM

Why would you not throw it over the middle? The idea was throw the slant to Bryant who had killed them all day with it and have Bryant get 8-10 yards or possibly even more, call a time out and kck the FG. ...two problems happened...the CB made an aggressive play got to Bryant and the two WR who ran longer routes( Austin and Ogletree) WALKED back to the huddle and while Romo is calling the play still not at the LOS....and btw if Bryant does break that tackle the game is over because he probably scores...that was the perfect time to throw it because of the TO in back pocket

Farmersfan
10-15-2012, 02:19 PM
Why would you not throw it over the middle? The idea was throw the slant to Bryant who had killed them all day with it and have Bryant get 8-10 yards or possibly even more, call a time out and kck the FG. ...two problems happened...the CB made an aggressive play got to Bryant and the two WR who ran longer routes( Austin and Ogletree) WALKED back to the huddle and while Romo is calling the play still not at the LOS....and btw if Bryant does break that tackle the game is over because he probably scores...that was the perfect time to throw it because of the TO in back pocket

I would throw it over the middle. If you can throw it downfield about 5 or 6 yards to a fast moving Dez he gets 3 or 4 more yards at a minimum just with his momentum. What i wouldn't do is throw it to Dez at the line of scrimmage on a play where he is basically standing still and the defender has a free run at him. Go back and watch the video and take notice of how badly Romo televised that throw from the moment he took the snap. The defender read Romo's eyes and Dez didn't stand a chance. My problem is why throw a pass that had a very low percentage chance of actually helping you? It required several things to happen before it would have worked. Either the defender had to whiff on the tackle or Dez had to break that tackle. Even then it burns up a lot of the clock just to gain 10 yards.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2012101406/2012/REG6/cowboys@ravens#menu=highlights&tab=recap

Macarthur
10-15-2012, 02:27 PM
I would throw it over the middle. If you can throw it downfield about 5 or 6 yards to a fast moving Dez he gets 3 or 4 more yards at a minimum just with his momentum. What i wouldn't do is throw it to Dez at the line of scrimmage on a play where he is basically standing still and the defender has a free run at him. Go back and watch the video and take notice of how badly Romo televised that throw from the moment he took the snap. The defender read Romo's eyes and Dez didn't stand a chance. My problem is why throw a pass that had a very low percentage chance of actually helping you? It required several things to happen before it would have worked. Either the defender had to whiff on the tackle or Dez had to break that tackle. Even then it burns up a lot of the clock just to gain 10 yards.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2012101406/2012/REG6/cowboys@ravens#menu=highlights&tab=recap

I think with all the issues there are to pick on with this game, I think it's odd to spend much time on a slant route (one of Dez's best routes) with one on one coverage to your most physical WR that has had a good day. If the DB makes even a slight mistake on that play, we aren't even talking about this because Dez takes it to the house.

Farmersfan
10-15-2012, 02:34 PM
Norm, just had an intersting stat about TOP. After Balt's first drive that was 7:10 and resulted in 3 points, they had a total TOP of 12:47 the rest of the game and scored 21 points offensively.

The Ravens average 28 points a game. The defense didn't do a great job on the Ravens yesterday by giving up 24 points. Ever hear of Karma? That is what seems to be getting the cowboys. The long throw to Smith where he elbowed Clairborn to the ground should have been called. But no excuses, the defense had it's flaws yesterday and the Ravens were able to take advantage of every weakness they have. But I seem to remember just a handful of plays that would have meant the difference between 14 total points and the 31 they scored. Second scoring drive they had a 3rd and very long and Ray Rice goes uncovered out of the backfield to catch a pass and go like 30 yards and the first down. On another score the defensive scheme had #99 lined up as a down lineman and also expected him to get off the line and cover the TE for the Ravens. That's just plain stupid on Rob Ryan's part. Even the commentators commented on another play the Ravens gained big yards when the Cowboys had a LB covering a wide receiver. Joe Flacco was MONEY yesterday. He found those little mismatches and made us pay. Did you watch Aaron Roger's performance last night? He played so far over his head the rest of the team looked like superstars. They beat what has been probably the best team in the NFL pretty soundly. QB play sets the tone! Even the defense played so far above it's head because of how fired up Rogers was. We don't that in Dallas. Even when Romo plays well it's like the rest of the team is holding it's breath waiting for the hammer to fall......

Macarthur
10-15-2012, 02:44 PM
The Ravens average 28 points a game. The defense didn't do a great job on the Ravens yesterday by giving up 24 points. Ever hear of Karma? That is what seems to be getting the cowboys. The long throw to Smith where he elbowed Clairborn to the ground should have been called. But no excuses, the defense had it's flaws yesterday and the Ravens were able to take advantage of every weakness they have. But I seem to remember just a handful of plays that would have meant the difference between 14 total points and the 31 they scored. Second scoring drive they had a 3rd and very long and Ray Rice goes uncovered out of the backfield to catch a pass and go like 30 yards and the first down. On another score the defensive scheme had #99 lined up as a down lineman and also expected him to get off the line and cover the TE for the Ravens. That's just plain stupid on Rob Ryan's part. Even the commentators commented on another play the Ravens gained big yards when the Cowboys had a LB covering a wide receiver. Joe Flacco was MONEY yesterday. He found those little mismatches and made us pay. Did you watch Aaron Roger's performance last night? He played so far over his head the rest of the team looked like superstars. They beat what has been probably the best team in the NFL pretty soundly. QB play sets the tone! Even the defense played so far above it's head because of how fired up Rogers was. We don't that in Dallas. Even when Romo plays well it's like the rest of the team is holding it's breath waiting for the hammer to fall......

I agree with everything you said, but I started to grin as I got about half way through because I knew you were going to find a way to bring it back to Romo. :)

Macarthur
10-15-2012, 02:47 PM
ANd let's not get too on Flacco's jock. The INT on Romo was at least aided by Reed basically horsecollaring Ogletree.

Flacco hits Jenkins right in the chest with nothing but green in front of him and doesn't make the play. Such is the 'luck' of the Cowboys. But Jenkins not making that play was probably Romo's fault, too, huh? ;)

Txbroadcaster
10-15-2012, 02:48 PM

Just to gain 10 yards?...10 yards makes it a 41 yd FG...ten yards is huge at that point....Romo got the ball out because the slot corner blitzed worst thing you can do is take a sack

They werent trying to fool the CB....you never really do on slants..you try to fool the LBs so they dont bracket underneath and you try to fool the safety over the top.

the slot ran a clearing route to take the safety.on the other side Ogletree runs a go, Witten route takes him to sideline leaving the entire middle wide open
Again you gave the ball to one of the best after catch runners in the league asking him to break one tackle...the Corner made a great play and tackled him one on one in open space, something they had not done on that route all game

I can agree with you about the actual play call..maybe have him run more of a post...but again I think Garrett was thinking get the ball out quick avoid a sack and the slant ate them up all game

Farmersfan
10-15-2012, 02:53 PM
I think with all the issues there are to pick on with this game, I think it's odd to spend much time on a slant route (one of Dez's best routes) with one on one coverage to your most physical WR that has had a good day. If the DB makes even a slight mistake on that play, we aren't even talking about this because Dez takes it to the house.

So you are ok with calling a play that requires the DB makes a mistake before it helps you? I say throw the ball to Dez 5 to 10 yards down the field and regardless of what the DB does you still make your yards and set your FG kicker up with a FG to win the game from a distance that he isn't 50/50 on. But I guess since Garrett was ok with the 50% odds on the FG then he probably was ok with the 50% chance that play was really going to amount to anything...... The Cowboys were looking for luck to help them on that play and it didn't work out for them. I say make your own luck. Run the receivers down the field at least 10 yards and if they aren't open in about 3 seconds throw it in the dirt to stop the clock and take the other 3 tries to get the 10 yards. But hey that's just me. Of course if Dez had broken that play and went for a TD it would be a great play today! but the results dictate whether it's met with hate or praise.........

Slick50
10-15-2012, 03:06 PM
Fire em all

Farmersfan
10-15-2012, 03:06 PM
Just to gain 10 yards?...10 yards makes it a 41 yd FG...ten yards is huge at that point....Romo got the ball out because the slot corner blitzed worst thing you can do is take a sack

They werent trying to fool the CB....you never really do on slants..you try to fool the LBs so they dont bracket underneath and you try to fool the safety over the top.

the slot ran a clearing route to take the safety.on the other side Ogletree runs a go, Witten route takes him to sideline leaving the entire middle wide open
Again you gave the ball to one of the best after catch runners in the league asking him to break one tackle...the Corner made a great play and tackled him one on one in open space, something they had not done on that route all game

I can agree with you about the actual play call..maybe have him run more of a post...but again I think Garrett was thinking get the ball out quick avoid a sack and the slant ate them up all game

Watch it again TXB! Dez didn't run a slant. He ran a down the line of scrimmage pattern. He ran from the outside receiver spot to the slot receiver spot and received the ball barely 1 yard beyond the line of scrimmage. THAT play doesn't eat anybody up. He had no momentum moving down field and basically was required to juke the defender before the play stood a chance. That is a very low percentage play. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. My problem is why run a "sometimes it works/sometimes it does't" type play at that particular point in the game? Get all your receivers moving towards the goal line! That is the greatness of a slant. The receiver shields the ball from the defender and his momentum gets you another 3 yards or so when he catches it. A slant doesn't require Dez act like tricky Nicky and juke his way to open field..........
basically it isn't the play called that bothers me so much. It's when it was called that bothers me. A failure on that play basically serves to eliminate a couple more opportunities to put the FG kicker in a better spot. Even if the whole team hustles and they spike the ball they get just 1 more attempt down the field..............

Macarthur
10-15-2012, 03:16 PM
I think given the multitude of issues regarding this game, arguing over whether it should have been a skinny post, a sharp post or 7 yard slant, etc. is silly. I do agree with TXB in that it was a blitz by Balt and it was man coverage across the board. Romo has to get that out because taking a sack is the worst possibly outcome short of a turnover.

Farmersfan
10-15-2012, 03:23 PM
The difference between you and I is that I think the team has significant flaws on offense and defense, and I include Romo in those issues. You, on the other hand, want to absolve the defense of any responsiblity.

No! The difference between you and an ever increasing number of people who are beginning to see the light is that every single season it's a different excuse. One season it's the horrible defense! Well, they have been replaced. Then it's the terrible O-line! Well, they also have been replaced. Then its the terrible D-backs! They are all new! Linebackers are rotten! Replaced! D-line sucks! REPlACED! Coaches don't know squat!!! REPLACED, REPLACED, REPLACED! Kicker can't hit a barn! REPLACED! Jessica Simpson distracting Romo! REPLACED! Every single component on this team has been replaced except for ONE. For 7 seasons we have watched the same crap, the same underachievement, the same excuse making for Tony Romo! And 5 games into this season when Romo is #17 in the NFL in QB rating the excuses must stop........... So not only is he not able to win but he also doesn't have the talent that allowed him to put up bogus numbers and look like a all star in the past................................. I think people are finally beginning to understand why Tony Romo was a undrafted free agent and that the Cowboys put so much talent on the field that even Romo looked like a great QB at times. But the cream floats to the top. And Romo has always found a way to sink.

Farmersfan
10-15-2012, 03:37 PM
Everyone have a safe afternoon. I must head home. Let me end my part of this discussion by saying again that if the Cowboys can continue to play this tough they will win far more games than they lose. The Ravens are a tough team and no longer the offensive pushover they once were. I liked what i saw yesterday dispite the mistakes and "Acts of god" that really seemed to work against the 'boys. I'm looking forward to next week to see if they can continue this. I am a little concerned again about the weak RBs on this team though. Anyone hear anything about the condition of Murray?

Macarthur
10-15-2012, 03:51 PM
Everyone have a safe afternoon. I must head home. Let me end my part of this discussion by saying again that if the Cowboys can continue to play this tough they will win far more games than they lose. The Ravens are a tough team and no longer the offensive pushover they once were. I liked what i saw yesterday dispite the mistakes and "Acts of god" that really seemed to work against the 'boys. I'm looking forward to next week to see if they can continue this. I am a little concerned again about the weak RBs on this team though. Anyone hear anything about the condition of Murray?

Murray has ligament damage and has been ruled out next week. No word beyond that.

Txbroadcaster
10-15-2012, 07:50 PM
So you are ok with calling a play that requires the DB makes a mistake before it helps you? I say throw the ball to Dez 5 to 10 yards down the field and regardless of what the DB does you still make your yards and set your FG kicker up with a FG to win the game from a distance that he isn't 50/50 on. But I guess since Garrett was ok with the 50% odds on the FG then he probably was ok with the 50% chance that play was really going to amount to anything...... The Cowboys were looking for luck to help them on that play and it didn't work out for them. I say make your own luck. Run the receivers down the field at least 10 yards and if they aren't open in about 3 seconds throw it in the dirt to stop the clock and take the other 3 tries to get the 10 yards. But hey that's just me. Of course if Dez had broken that play and went for a TD it would be a great play today! but the results dictate whether it's met with hate or praise.........

Are you not doing that on a 10 yards route? Hope your WR beats his man in the route or the DB makes a mistake that hat allows him to come open? That is football..in an 11 man game it is the one on one battles that decide the game....your not hoping the DB makes a mistake your trusting your guy to beat their guy and on that one play they could not

Again I am like you and would have had no problem if they are trying something a little further, but I also dont have an issue with the play call at that moment either...It is the two WR not running back to the line that is the biggest issue IMO it is what caused all of the problems

Farmersfan
10-16-2012, 06:35 AM
Are you not doing that on a 10 yards route? Hope your WR beats his man in the route or the DB makes a mistake that hat allows him to come open? That is football..in an 11 man game it is the one on one battles that decide the game....your not hoping the DB makes a mistake your trusting your guy to beat their guy and on that one play they could not

Again I am like you and would have had no problem if they are trying something a little further, but I also dont have an issue with the play call at that moment either...It is the two WR not running back to the line that is the biggest issue IMO it is what caused all of the problems

It's obvious you dont understand the concept of maximizing your opportunities TXB. There are high percentage options and low percentage options. If Dez runs a 10 yard route then all the Cowboys need to do is have him get open. If he is tackled immediately when he catches the ball the Cowboys STILL win. The route he ran required that he not only got open, he had to catch the ball but he also was required to beat his man in the open field and run 10 more yards. A down field throw requires a single good thing happen in order for it to be considered a success. The one they threw required several good things happen before it would have helped the team. The way I look at it is if the pass being caught (successful) actually HARMS your team then the throw should have never been thrown in the first place. PERIOD!
And I agree this is dumb to keep harping on this single play but doesn't this single play indicate what has been wrong with this team for a decade? The judgements and decisions for this team have been questionable for a long, long time.

Farmersfan
10-16-2012, 06:37 AM

BTW: Nobody in the media, news or Sportscenter agrees with you. They have all said it was a stupid play call at that point of the game......

coach
10-16-2012, 07:17 AM
BTW: Nobody in the media, news or Sportscenter agrees with you. They have all said it was a stupid play call at that point of the game......

BTW: Nobody in the media, news or Sportscenter agrees with you. Tony Romo is not the problem.....

GrTigers6
10-16-2012, 07:45 AM
BTW: Nobody in the media, news or Sportscenter agrees with you. They have all said it was a stupid play call at that point of the game......Garrett said in the press conference that they called a slant to dez and two verticals for miles and ogletree, So if he didnt run a slant than who fault is that? Plus Garrett admitted to that play possibly not being the best idea. However they felt that the way the game was going it would give them a good chance at gaining yardage.

Farmersfan
10-16-2012, 08:41 AM
Garrett said in the press conference that they called a slant to dez and two verticals for miles and ogletree, So if he didnt run a slant than who fault is that? Plus Garrett admitted to that play possibly not being the best idea. However they felt that the way the game was going it would give them a good chance at gaining yardage.

Jason Garrett is not a stupid man. He knows that play limited his teams odds of success. And if Dez didn't run the pattern he was supposed to run then some type of disciplinary action should be coming. Far too often we are hearing about Dez Bryant not running his routes. He had a great day overall but how can you have a star receiver that is likely to cost you the game at any moment with a bad route? Oh wait! we've had a QB for 7 years that is likely to cost us the game at any moment and he is still playing. NEVERMIND...:crying:

Farmersfan
10-16-2012, 09:03 AM
BTW: Nobody in the media, news or Sportscenter agrees with you. Tony Romo is not the problem.....

I'm thinking maybe you need to watch more media and news Coach-"not". You can't watch a Cowboy's highlite or broadcast that someone doesn't bring the problems with Tony Romo. Of course you guys believe it's imaginary and EVERYBODY in the world is wrong about Romo. The NFL players themselves voted Tony Romo the 2nd most overrated player in the entire NFL and you guys ignored it or make excuses for it. Many opposing players have commented (Darrell Revis last season) that they look forward to playing Dallas because Tony Romo will always throw them the ball. These things don't magically appear out of thin air. Tony Romo wasn't born with this dislike against him. HE EARNED EVERY SINGLE WORD OF HATE UTTERED AGAINST HIM! See, the vast majority of Tony Romo haters are Cowboy fans. I know you aren't very smart but think about that for a minute. A whole lot of people who are hardwired to love everything about the Cowboys hate Tony Romo who is a Cowboy player. I wonder how that happened? And don't bring up the whole "it's because he plays for Dallas" thing. That's BS. I am old enough that I have lived through Roger Staubach, Danny White, Troy Aikman and every single QB in between and even Quincy Carter who was the biggest moron in the NFL wasn't dispised as much a Tony Romo is.......

GrTigers6
10-16-2012, 09:42 AM
I'm thinking maybe you need to watch more media and news Coach-"not". You can't watch a Cowboy's highlite or broadcast that someone doesn't bring the problems with Tony Romo. Of course you guys believe it's imaginary and EVERYBODY in the world is wrong about Romo. The NFL players themselves voted Tony Romo the 2nd most overrated player in the entire NFL and you guys ignored it or make excuses for it. Many opposing players have commented (Darrell Revis last season) that they look forward to playing Dallas because Tony Romo will always throw them the ball. These things don't magically appear out of thin air. Tony Romo wasn't born with this dislike against him. HE EARNED EVERY SINGLE WORD OF HATE UTTERED AGAINST HIM! See, the vast majority of Tony Romo haters are Cowboy fans. I know you aren't very smart but think about that for a minute. A whole lot of people who are hardwired to love everything about the Cowboys hate Tony Romo who is a Cowboy player. I wonder how that happened? And don't bring up the whole "it's because he plays for Dallas" thing. That's BS. I am old enough that I have lived through Roger Staubach, Danny White, Troy Aikman and every single QB in between and even Quincy Carter who was the biggest moron in the NFL wasn't dispised as much a Tony Romo is.......And you read that on the internet so it must be true!:D

Farmersfan
10-16-2012, 09:53 AM
And you read that on the internet so it must be true!:D

Is has to be! They wouldn't let it on the internet if it wasn't true!!!!! :)

GrTigers6
10-16-2012, 11:53 AM
Is has to be! They wouldn't let it on the internet if it wasn't true!!!!! :):2thumbsup:cool:

buff4ever
10-16-2012, 03:38 PM
Even counting you guys that support Romo on here, I can think of more people that think he is a problem, than I can think of people that blindly support him as a quality high salary qb.

Txbroadcaster
10-16-2012, 04:18 PM

I guess you have not read the fact I have said more than once I agree with you about the route...I just said I can see why they called the play they did.

And you know how it works...if he would have called say a go route for Dez and thrown it and missed then the same people saying the slant was a bad call would say wait why did they not just go back to the slant it was killing the Ravens

the play call did not lose the game...the fact two WR are walking back to the line and cant get set create the whole issue

Macarthur
10-16-2012, 04:30 PM
You know, the other thing that seems to be getting lost here is that while a 51 yarder is not a gimme, it is a kick that needs to be made. I think we got a pretty good kicker, but he needs to start making the important kicks.

Macarthur
10-16-2012, 04:41 PM
In fact, the top 10 kickers last season hit 33 of 43 kicks from 50+. That's 77%. Bailey's got to hit that.

Farmersfan
10-17-2012, 10:34 AM
In fact, the top 10 kickers last season hit 33 of 43 kicks from 50+. That's 77%. Bailey's got to hit that.

Except for the fact that Bailey was 50% on kicks from 50+ for his career. That would indicate that at least from that distance Bailey is not a quality kicker.

Macarthur
10-17-2012, 03:01 PM
Except for the fact that Bailey was 50% on kicks from 50+ for his career. That would indicate that at least from that distance Bailey is not a quality kicker.

Exactly my point. That's a problem.

buff4ever
10-17-2012, 04:29 PM
Exactly my point. That's a problem.

And ours about Romo, in the way of team leadership and handling pressure moments he isn't quality. Yet we pay him like he is, how does Bailey's pay compare to other kickers in the league? For example the kickers that are quality at 50+?

Macarthur
10-17-2012, 04:48 PM
And ours about Romo, in the way of team leadership and handling pressure moments he isn't quality. Yet we pay him like he is, how does Bailey's pay compare to other kickers in the league? For example the kickers that are quality at 50+?

You're not going to draw me offsides anymore on the Romo stuff. I'm done debating that topic on this board.

As for Bailey, he was the #9 ranked kicker last year. Kickers are generally some of the lowest paid guys on the team so his pay is irrelavent. he's paid to make kicks and the league average on kicks over 50 is well above 70%.

Farmersfan
10-18-2012, 08:04 AM
You're not going to draw me offsides anymore on the Romo stuff. I'm done debating that topic on this board.

As for Bailey, he was the #9 ranked kicker last year. Kickers are generally some of the lowest paid guys on the team so his pay is irrelavent. he's paid to make kicks and the league average on kicks over 50 is well above 70%.

So you refuse to debate a subject that you can't win? Seems to me you are acting like a lot of Christians I know...... :taunt:

It sure is lonely over here on the "offsides" without you!!!!!!!

Macarthur
10-18-2012, 08:36 AM
So you refuse to debate a subject that you can't win? Seems to me you are acting like a lot of Christians I know...... :taunt:

It sure is lonely over here on the "offsides" without you!!!!!!!

I've made my position very clear on Romo and it hasn't changed. There's really no need to debate.

buff4ever
10-18-2012, 08:47 AM
I've made my position very clear on Romo and it hasn't changed. There's really no need to debate.

Last few post on Romo sound like a concession in denial from Mac.

I understand, I would have ran out of arguments if I were you a long time ago.

Eagle 1
10-18-2012, 09:12 AM
last few post on romo sound like a concession in denial from mac.

I understand, i would have ran out of arguments if i were you a long time ago.

lol...:)

Macarthur
10-18-2012, 09:13 AM
Last few post on Romo sound like a concession in denial from Mac.

I understand, I would have ran out of arguments if I were you a long time ago.

If you remember what my argument has been all along on Romo, you would know that my posts lately are neither concession or denial.

The problem is that most (not all) folks that want to argue about Romo don't want to do it in an honest, non emotional way. How do you argue with people that just want to always say "Romo Sucks"?

Farmersfan
10-18-2012, 10:02 AM
There's really no need to debate.

Except for the fact that you might actually learn something from a debate with ME! but if you are satisfied with your complete lack of insight into the subject then I guess I will try to respect your point........... :2thumbsup

Farmersfan
10-18-2012, 10:05 AM
The problem is that most (not all) folks that want to argue about Romo don't want to do it in an honest, non emotional way. How do you argue with people that just want to always say "Romo Sucks"?

The only way you can't argue with people who just want to say "Romo Sucks" is if Romo REALLY sucks....................... Is that what you are saying?

Macarthur
10-18-2012, 10:09 AM
Except for the fact that you might actually learn something from a debate with ME! but if you are satisfied with your complete lack of insight into the subject then I guess I will try to respect your point........... :2thumbsup

I'm not going to let you draw me offsides into this again. ;)

Farmersfan
10-18-2012, 10:14 AM
If you remember what my argument has been all along on Romo, you would know that my posts lately are neither concession or denial.

OK Mac! With all joking aside let just say that in the past it required a lot of us Romo Haters to use words like "intangibles" and " leadership" in order to express our opinions of Tony Romo. The man had top 5 numbers so the stats didn't really work in our favor. Yet we always maintained that dispite all the great numbers there was something missing in Tony Romo as a QB. We only had emotional or subjective "If feel it in my heart" type arguements. Well the tide has turned now. At least for the first part of this season Tony Romo has been TERRIBLE in not only those intangibles that has driven so many away over the years but in the stat book also. It's a bitter sweet victory for me but the further Romo spirals into mediocrity the more correct I will have been all these years............

Farmersfan
10-18-2012, 10:16 AM
Come on! You know you want to.................................:1popcorn::chee rl:

Macarthur
10-18-2012, 10:29 AM
OK Mac! With all joking aside let just say that in the past it required a lot of us Romo Haters to use words like "intangibles" and " leadership" in order to express our opinions of Tony Romo. The man had top 5 numbers so the stats didn't really work in our favor. Yet we always maintained that dispite all the great numbers there was something missing in Tony Romo as a QB. We only had emotional or subjective "If feel it in my heart" type arguements. Well the tide has turned now. At least for the first part of this season Tony Romo has been TERRIBLE in not only those intangibles that has driven so many away over the years but in the stat book also. It's a bitter sweet victory for me but the further Romo spirals into mediocrity the more correct I will have been all these years............

Romo, overall, has not been good this year. No question about it.

But this Sunday is another example of why it's so weird to me that he is continually graded on a different curve than other QBs. He had a 97 passer rating and led a great 4th quarter comeback that included converting TWO 4th and long situations. YOu know football so I know you know how rare that is. He gets his team in a situation with less than 20 seconds on the clock to give his kicker a 51 yard FG to win the game (and that's not even mentioning the perfect pass he threw that was dropped that would have tied the game). The league right now is hitting 66% of kicks over 50 yards this year and the top ten kickers in the league last year (which Bailey was one) hit 77% of kicks over 50. The FG kicker misses that kick and all some people can talk about is how poorly he managed the situation and how he is such a loser. Could he have managed that situation better? Probably, but it's next to impossible for us to make that judgement here without knowing what was communicated to him by the HC. Aikman, BTW, said on the ticket this morning that he had no issue what so ever with that throw.

If Eli had been in a situation where he had a 97 passer rating, brought his team from behind and his kicker nailed a 51 yarder to win a game, the talk would be about how clutch Eli is and he is such an elite QB. Romo's kicker misses the FG in the same situation and it's more proof that Romo can't win big games.

These are the things that frustrate me about these discussions. ALL QBs make mistakes. ALL QBs throw INTs. And sometimes QBs cost their teams games, however, Romo is the one that leads sportscenter and that crap show with Skip Bayless on it. All I've ever said is that Romo is not perfect and deserves criticism from time to time, but all I ask is that people use the same rationale to criticize him that they do everyone else. Those that say he's give a fair shake in this regard are either not paying attention or they are blinded by their bias.

Emerson1
10-18-2012, 10:36 AM
It's all because of that backwards hat.

Farmersfan
10-18-2012, 03:54 PM
Romo, overall, has not been good this year. No question about it.

But this Sunday is another example of why it's so weird to me that he is continually graded on a different curve than other QBs. He had a 97 passer rating and led a great 4th quarter comeback that included converting TWO 4th and long situations. YOu know football so I know you know how rare that is. He gets his team in a situation with less than 20 seconds on the clock to give his kicker a 51 yard FG to win the game (and that's not even mentioning the perfect pass he threw that was dropped that would have tied the game). The league right now is hitting 66% of kicks over 50 yards this year and the top ten kickers in the league last year (which Bailey was one) hit 77% of kicks over 50. The FG kicker misses that kick and all some people can talk about is how poorly he managed the situation and how he is such a loser. Could he have managed that situation better? Probably, but it's next to impossible for us to make that judgement here without knowing what was communicated to him by the HC. Aikman, BTW, said on the ticket this morning that he had no issue what so ever with that throw.

If Eli had been in a situation where he had a 97 passer rating, brought his team from behind and his kicker nailed a 51 yarder to win a game, the talk would be about how clutch Eli is and he is such an elite QB. Romo's kicker misses the FG in the same situation and it's more proof that Romo can't win big games.

These are the things that frustrate me about these discussions. ALL QBs make mistakes. ALL QBs throw INTs. And sometimes QBs cost their teams games, however, Romo is the one that leads sportscenter and that crap show with Skip Bayless on it. All I've ever said is that Romo is not perfect and deserves criticism from time to time, but all I ask is that people use the same rationale to criticize him that they do everyone else. Those that say he's give a fair shake in this regard are either not paying attention or they are blinded by their bias.

I think your confusion or lack of understanding on this subject is self induced. You refuse to accept that Tony Romo has created the media monster that preys on him every single week. Does he deserve the criticism he gets? I don't know. But he basically was handed the keys to the kingdom in Dallas and he pissed it away. I can't speak for other cities or fans of other teams. but I suspect they scrutinize their QBs just as closely as we do Romo. I can promise you Romo has never had a day like what the San Diego QB has had to deal with this past week. So it's just a matter of perspective.

Macarthur
10-18-2012, 04:21 PM
I think your confusion or lack of understanding on this subject is self induced. You refuse to accept that Tony Romo has created the media monster that preys on him every single week. Does he deserve the criticism he gets? I don't know. But he basically was handed the keys to the kingdom in Dallas and he pissed it away. I can't speak for other cities or fans of other teams. but I suspect they scrutinize their QBs just as closely as we do Romo. I can promise you Romo has never had a day like what the San Diego QB has had to deal with this past week. So it's just a matter of perspective.

Sorry, but ESPN spends more time on Romo than they do Brady. Watch if you don't believe me. If you want to argue that Andy Dalton, Rivers, Kolb, Bradford, Stafford, insert just about any name you want gets more negative media scrutiny, then the burden of proof is on you, dude. If you don't see that, you are in denial.

I understand all the America's Team crap and all that comes along with that. That's all well and good, but all I'm asking is that they are consistent. And they're not.

I can promise you Romo has never had a day like what the San Diego QB has had to deal with this past week

I have watched ESPN several times this week and I have yet to see a segement on Rivers. I actually just did a video search on espn for Philip Rivers and there's not a single clip from any of those idiot shows they roll out. When's the last time you saw stephen a or skip discuss Philip Rivers?

Farmersfan
10-19-2012, 08:53 AM
Everything you said might be true. That doesn't mean the criticism of Tony Romo is more WRONG than the criticism of other QBs in the NFL. It simply means more people talk about it. Tony Romo has earned everything that is said about him. If playing for the Dallas Cowboys means more people are saying it then so be it. But that doesn't change the fact that it was his performance that caused them to say it in the first place.... But I have to ask that if you believe as you say then why aren't the other players on this team subjected to the same nation wide scrutiny as Romo is? Seriously, Dez Bryant screws up every single week and yet he is simply mentioned in passing from a national media perspective. It's because of the fire storm that Tony Romo has created nationally and locally with his play, his comments, and his attitude!

Farmersfan
10-19-2012, 09:10 AM
There aren't very many public figures or media personalities that I feel will actually say what they are thinking. Some of the more colorful ex-players will actually speak up some but even a lot of them seem to censor their comments to keep from saying something bad about players or coaches. But here is one personality who actually said what he was thinking. Of course he has a history with Dallas and could certainly be said to be biased but I don't really see any advantage to him saying these things. He is risking all down side impact to his career and very little upside by saying this. If for no other reason than that I have to think he really feels this way.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/gameon/2012/10/03/tony-romo-joe-theismann-isnt-a-very-good-quarterback-dallas-cowboys/1610401/

Macarthur
10-19-2012, 10:40 AM
Joe Theismann is a functioning retard. And I'm not just saying that because he's a former Redskin. The guy is a complete moron and a jackass to boot.

Farmersfan
10-19-2012, 02:11 PM
Joe Theismann is a functioning retard. And I'm not just saying that because he's a former Redskin. The guy is a complete moron and a jackass to boot.

Yes, But is he correct? :2thumbsup

buff4ever
10-19-2012, 02:25 PM
It would take a moron of a public figure to bluntly call out another, especially if it is true.

Farmersfan
10-19-2012, 02:54 PM
It would take a moron of a public figure to bluntly call out another, especially if it is true.

I think they all know that disrespecting another player would open themselves up to criticism and comparisons. Nobody wants that! So why would a ex-player do it? My point has always been that they have everything to gain by playing the neutral figure and nothing to gain by being negative about another player. RULE OF THUMB: If a person is being nice in public take it with a grain of salt. If a person is being mean in public then you probably did something to deserve it.....

buff4ever
10-19-2012, 02:56 PM
I agree with you, I was just pointing out to Mac that him saying joe was a functioning retard only supported your case instead of his.

Macarthur
10-19-2012, 06:39 PM
Yes, But is he correct? :2thumbsup

No, he's not.

We can argue all day about leadership skills and if romo has the it factor to take the cowboys to that next level.

But for someone to say a guy that has played as well as romo is "not a good player" is just retarded. He's being sensationalistic and it's no secret that he hates the cowboys so he's just taking a jab at them. Plain and simple.

Txbroadcaster
10-19-2012, 11:34 PM
No, he's not.

We can argue all day about leadership skills and if romo has the it factor to take the cowboys to that next level.

But for someone to say a guy that has played as well as romo is "not a good player" is just retarded. He's being sensationalistic and it's no secret that he hates the cowboys so he's just taking a jab at them. Plain and simple.

yea...no matter how you feel about Romo as the Dallas QB..to say he is not a good player or a bad QB is such a reach it is not even crazy...you do not ut up the stats Romo has without being a good player

regaleagle
10-20-2012, 12:53 AM
I wouldn't put too much stock into what JT has to say about Romo, and I imagine you can hear the howls from coast to coast regarding his earth-shaking comments. I'm sure Troy and even Steve Young rolled their eyes when they heard that one, LOL.