PDA

View Full Version : Do you remember??

Ranger Mom
01-08-2004, 08:59 PM
I don't know if this has been posted here or not, but it ended in a double-dog-dare so I HAD to send it out!! :D

DO YOU REMEMBER WHEN...?

All the girls had ugly gym uniforms?

It took five minutes for the TV warm up?

Nearly everyone's Mom was at home when the kids got home from school?

Nobody owned a purebred dog?

When a quarter was a decent allowance?

You'd reach into a muddy gutter for a penny?

Your Mom wore nylons that came in two pieces?

All your male teachers wore neckties and female teachers had their hair done every day and wore high heels?

You got your windshield cleaned, oil checked, and gas pumped, without asking, all for free, every time? And you didn't pay for air? And, you got trading stamps to boot?

Laundry detergent had free glasses, dishes or towels hidden inside the box?

It was considered a great privilege to be taken out to dinner at a real restaurant with your parents?

They threatened to keep kids back a grade if they failed. . and they did?

When a 57 Chevy was everyone's dream car...to cruise, peel out, lay rubber or watch submarine races, and people went steady?

No one ever asked where the car keys were
because they were always in the car, in the ignition, and the doors were never locked?

Lying on your back in the grass with your friends
and saying things like, "That cloud looks like a ......and playing baseball with no adults to help kids with the rules of the game?

Stuff from the store came without safety caps and hermetic seals because no one had yet tried to poison a perfect stranger?

And with all our progress, don't you just wish, just once, you could slip back in time and savor the slower pace,and share it with the children of today?

When being sent to the principal's office was nothing compared to the fate that awaited the student at home? Basically we were in fear for our lives, but it wasn't because of drive-by shootings, drugs, gangs, etc. Our parents and grandparents were a much bigger threat!
But we survived because their love was greater than the threat.

Send this on to someone who can still remember
Nancy Drew, the Hardy Boys, Laurel and Hardy,
Howdy Dowdy and the Peanut Gallery,
the Lone Ranger, The Shadow Knows,
Nellie Bell, Roy and Dale, Trigger and Buttermilk.

As well as summers filled with bike rides, baseball games,Hula Hoops, bowling and visits to the pool, and eating Kool-Aid powder with sugar.

Didn't that feel good, just to go back and say, "Yeah, I remember that"?

I am sharing this with you today because it ended with a double dog dare to pass it on. To remember what a double dog dare is, read on. And remember that the perfect age is somewhere between
old enough to know better and too young to care.

How many of these do you remember?

Candy cigarettes
Wax Coke-shaped bottles with colored sugar water inside
Soda pop machines that dispensed glass bottles
Coffee shops with tableside jukeboxes
Blackjack, Clove and Teaberry chewing gum
Home milk delivery in glass bottles with cardboard stoppers
Newsreels before the movie
P.F. Fliers

Telephone numbers with a word prefix....(Raymond 4-601) (
Party lines
Peashooters
Howdy Dowdy
45 RPM records
Green Stamps
Hi-Fi's
Metal ice cubes trays with levers
Mimeograph paper
Beanie and Cecil
Roller-skate keys
Cork pop guns
Drive ins
Studebakers
Washtub wringers
The Fuller Brush Man
Reel-To-Reel tape recorders
Tinkertoys
Erector Sets
The Fort Apache Play Set
Lincoln Logs
15 cent McDonald hamburgers
5 cent packs of baseball cards -
with that awful pink slab of bubble gum
Penny candy
35 cent a gallon gasoline
Jiffy Pop popcorn

Do you remember a time when...

Decisions were made by going "eeny-meeny-miney-moe"?
Mistakes were corrected by simply exclaiming, "Do Over!"?
"Race issue" meant arguing about who ran the fastest?
Catching the fireflies could happily occupy an entire evening?
It wasn't odd to have two or three "Best Friends"?
The worst thing you could catch from the opposite sex was "cooties"?
Having a weapon in school meant being caught with a slingshot?
A foot of snow was a dream come true?
Saturday morning cartoons weren't 30-minute commercials for action figures?
"Oly-oly-oxen-free" made perfect sense?
Spinning around, getting dizzy, and falling down was cause for giggles? The worst embarrassment was being picked last for a team? War was a card game?
Baseball cards in the spokes transformed any bike into a motorcycle?
Taking drugs meant orange-flavored chewable aspirin?
Water balloons were the ultimate weapon?

If you can remember most or all of these, then you have lived!!!!!!!

Pass this on to anyone who may need a break from
their "grown-up" life . . .I double-dog-dare-ya!

<small>[ January 08, 2004, 08:07 PM: Message edited by: Ranger Mom ]</small>

Tanglefoot
01-08-2004, 09:15 PM
Ranger Mom, I remember just about all of this. Does this date me or what?

Tanglefoot
01-08-2004, 09:21 PM
I also remember when our local funeral home had a sign posted that said "We give S&H Green Stamps?. Of course, the sign was put there by some teenagers who were doing something really BADDDDDD. In those times, that was about the worst that teenagers did. Oh, the good ole days!!!

wildstangs
01-08-2004, 10:01 PM
I have heard about all of that stuff. Way before my time though!

Jacket2000
01-08-2004, 10:05 PM
Hey now, I had a party line untill 1994!
J2K

CatWoman
01-09-2004, 09:34 AM
Oh RangerMom - without being too mushy, that really brought a tear to my eyes, literally. One other "good ole days" thing came to my mind. We would make homemade ice cream with a crank freezer and I would sit on top of the freezer while my Daddy cranked it.

I am familiar with everything you mentioned, even if a few were before my time, but most of them I lived and those were sweet and simple times and something my daughter will never realize.

Thanks for sharing!!

Phil C
01-09-2004, 10:29 AM
I lived in the time mentioned too but I believe in enjoying life at whatever your age is and at the time you are living in right now. It is good to remember the fun times though but not everything was positive. For example drinking fountains had one for white and one for colored only. Blacks and Hispanics could not eat at certain restaurants. Even some service stations had on their rest rooms white only. Also there were very few high schools that had girls volleyball, basketball or softball. No I enjoy the time right now that I am living in.

Wildcat81
01-09-2004, 11:08 AM
I do remember alot of those things.My mom had one
drawer just for S&H green stamps,I also remember
going to the picture show for 50 cents.Exchanging
coke bottle at the store for money so I could buy
an icey or candy.

slpybear the bullfan
01-10-2004, 02:22 PM
Phil C:
I lived in the time mentioned too but I believe in enjoying life at whatever your age is and at the time you are living in right now. It is good to remember the fun times though but not everything was positive. For example drinking fountains had one for white and one for colored only. Blacks and Hispanics could not eat at certain restaurants. Even some service stations had on their rest rooms white only. Also there were very few high schools that had girls volleyball, basketball or softball. No I enjoy the time right now that I am living in.Phil... Everyone knows that the good old days weren't all 100% good. Thanks for bringing the mood down with your post.

Good Post Rangermom...

Ranger Mom
01-10-2004, 05:27 PM
Ouch Phil!! I just thought this might be a nostalgic trip down memory lane for some of us! No time in the past, present or future is gonna be perfect!

I enjoy my life now, but still like to relive old memories of "yesteryear"

LIGHTEN UP!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

20dawgz05
01-10-2004, 08:59 PM
i remember sayin oly oly oxen free haha never knew what it meant... and lincoln logs are awesome... i played with some when i babyset this lil boy haha... wow its gonna be weird in like 20 trs when i see some of my generations things like that!!! wink

Phil C
01-10-2004, 09:12 PM
So Sly and Ranger Mom are still hot at me for the Spurs Winning the NBA Championship in 2003! Isn't that a bucket of _ _ _ _! :)

Dirt! :)

Tanglefoot
01-10-2004, 10:03 PM
Phil C, Sly and Ranger Mom meant nothing more than remembering days past. It had nothing to do with winning the NBA championship of 2003. Personally, it was very refreshing for me to see those wonderful things of the past. True, some things were not so good, but why can't we remember the things that were good? Think about it!

Ranger Mom
01-11-2004, 01:14 AM
Phil C:
So Sly and Ranger Mom are still hot at me for the Spurs Winning the NBA Championship in 2003! Isn't that a bucket of _ _ _ _! :)

Dirt! :) Nah.....I was actually rooting for the Spurs myself.
wink

Phil C
01-12-2004, 09:13 AM
There is nothing wrong with remembering the past fondly but still it wasn't perfect and I felt it needed to be pointed out to keep things in perspective. Come on people - Lighten up! :)

cdlvj
01-12-2004, 09:48 AM
35 cent a gallon gasoline Gasoline was like 17 cents a gallon when I was in college.

For a nickel.

Hersey bars were a nickel apiece.

Paid $4000 for my 1st car.
Insurance was like $68 a year.

You got 1 item for Christmas, may have not been expensive, but you were thrilled to death.

Uncle Jay one of the old programs we watched after school, and that oh so gorgeous Annette.

Ranger Mom
01-12-2004, 10:05 AM
Phil C:
There is nothing wrong with remembering the past fondly but still it wasn't perfect and I felt it needed to be pointed out to keep things in perspective. Come on people - Lighten up! :) To tell you the truth Phil C - that is exactly why I am on the Weight Watcher's program right now - so I can "Lighten Up"!!! :D :p :D

rholl
01-12-2004, 12:14 PM
Ranger moms inital post didn't say things were perfect!!!!!! I enjoyed the post Rangermom.....

Phil C
01-12-2004, 12:20 PM
I didn't say it was a bad post. It was a good one.

spiveyrat
01-12-2004, 01:17 PM
I remember only having to dial the last 5 numbers of someone's phone number to connect with someone locally (in Jasper). 4-XXXX

I don't remember the TV having to warm up for 5 minutes, though.

Wildcat81
01-12-2004, 02:13 PM
cdlvj:
[QUOTE] 35 cent a gallon gasoline Gasoline was like 17 cents a gallon when I was in college.

For a nickel.

Hersey bars were a nickel apiece.

Paid $4000 for my 1st car.
Insurance was like $68 a year.

You got 1 item for Christmas, may have not been expensive, but you were thrilled to death.

Uncle Jay one of the old programs we watched after school, and that oh so gorgeous Annette.</strong>[/QUOT
20 cents for a pop out of a soda machine,It always had a little ice in it.

zippy
01-12-2004, 05:09 PM
Does anyone else remember "counter checks"?

For those who don't, in small towns the stores had bank drafts (blank checks) sitting on the counter at the register. You simply filled out the check and wrote your name on it, the bank knew who you were and honored it.

Man....does that mean I'm gettin old because I remember all of things in RangerMom's post?

Guess I'll be gettin my funeral arrangements made in the near future.. :D

Phil C
01-12-2004, 05:27 PM
This may not qualify for memory lane but when I got out of college I taught in high school for one year. I met the principal and superintendent for coffee at a local cafe for the interview and when they offered me a contract for $5400 for the year I not only signed I paid for the coffee.

callandraise
01-12-2004, 06:33 PM
My first job was working for the local newspaper after school,I made 90 cents an hour and it was all mine.That was 1956-57 I can tell you it was a great time to be a teenage boy in a small west Texas town.I guess we were poor but we didn't know it because everybody else was too.