PDA

View Full Version : Juan Puga (Rio Hondo QB) Out for the Season

TarponFanInNorthTexas
10-12-2012, 11:59 PM
Torn ACL vs. La Feria is the word I just got from one of the Rio Hondo posters over on the 956 boards. He's a Senior as well.

footballgal
10-13-2012, 12:39 AM
Torn ACL vs. La Feria is the word I just got from one of the Rio Hondo posters over on the 956 boards. He's a Senior as well.

Sad news, great talented 4 year starter, I am fan of his. Hoping for a speedy recovery.

footballgal
10-13-2012, 12:42 AM
http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?t=118871

http://956sports.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/juan-puga.jpg

Old Green
10-13-2012, 12:43 AM
Hate to hear that about Puga. He's a great Competitor. Praying for him.

SintonFan
10-13-2012, 12:53 AM
:( Great player. Hope he heals soon.

pirate4state
10-13-2012, 09:56 AM

OUCH :( that is a real shame. fun kid to watch

SHSBulldog00
10-14-2012, 01:41 AM
Juan was the reason I liked watching Rio Hondo games. A special talent. I hope someone gives him a shot in college.

footballgal
10-14-2012, 03:30 PM
Juan was the reason I liked watching Rio Hondo games. A special talent. I hope someone gives him a shot in college.

I am with you SHSBulldog, hope he has a speedy recovery and a future opportunity in playing in the next level.

footballgal
10-17-2012, 03:33 PM
Posted: Tuesday, October 16, 2012 11:09 pm | Updated: 12:44 pm, Wed Oct 17, 2012.

Sub-4A notes: Rio Hondo’s Puga out for rest of season Armando Garza | Valley Morning Star Valley Morning Star

Rio Hondo fans’ worst fear has become a reality: Quarterback Juan Puga’s season is over.

Bobcats head coach Rocky James confirmed Tuesday that Puga has a torn anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) in his right knee that will require surgery. The diagnosis was official on Monday, James said.

The senior was hurt at the end of a 27-yard run during the fourth quarter of the Cats’ 28-21 loss to La Feria. Puga lay on the ground in pain for several minutes before being helped off the field. He did not finish the game, but had 200 total yards (153 rushing).

“It’s devastating for him not being able to finish his senior year,” James said of Puga. “But he’s handling it about as well as you can handle it. He knew immediately that something was wrong but his spirits are good. He’s gonna be here cheering on his teammates.”

Sergio Perez takes over as the Bobcats starting quarterback. Perez, who’s had a nice season as a receiver, actually filled in for Puga in 2010 and started the first five games of the year. Sophomore Eli Pitones will serve the backup.

“Sergio’s stepped in this week and he’s done a good job,” James said. “He’s got experience in this role and we’re gonna rally around Sergio. It’s his time to step up.”

Puga is the latest in a long line of injuries for the Bobcats. Their offensive line has been decimated and as many as 10 players have missed action, James said. He moved up two from the junior varsity just this week.

“The injury bug has hit us like crazy,” he said. “But we need guys to step up. There’s no reason to not play good football.”

It’s a big week for Rio Hondo as they go to Hidalgo in a critical 32-3A district game. At 0-1, the Bobcats can not afford another league loss and they’ll face a good Pirates team.

“They look really good on film,” James said of Hidalgo.

For his senior season, Puga finishes with 904 yards passing and another 705 rushing. He totaled 15 touchdowns (8 passing).