10-09-2012, 01:15 PM
kENNEDALE I BELIEVE....

Purple Rain
10-09-2012, 02:07 PM
Liberty Hill...and quite effectively I must say

Bullaholic
10-09-2012, 02:10 PM
Liberty Hill...and quite effectively I must say

Yep--LH has been running the Slot T for some years now with a lot of success. I know they ran it very effectively against the Bulls in the playoffs in '08. Several backs with 2000+ yards for the season, I think.

panfan
10-09-2012, 02:32 PM
Yep--LH has been running the Slot T for some years now with a lot of success. I know they ran it very effectively against the Bulls in the playoffs in '08. Several backs with 2000+ yards for the season, I think.

Real question is, Why do you ask?

OLE'BULL
10-09-2012, 02:33 PM
Bellville

Bullaholic
10-09-2012, 02:37 PM
Real question is, Why do you ask?

Just wondering if the Slot "T" is growing in useage, or declining. Real answer is---why do you care why or what I ask?

raider red 2000
10-09-2012, 02:45 PM
Bellville

i thought they were wing t.

Purple Rain
10-09-2012, 02:49 PM
Looks like Amarillo tried to run it against Sville judging from the highlight video posted in another thread

panfan
10-09-2012, 02:50 PM
Just wondering if the Slot "T" is growing in useage, or declining. Real answer is---why do you care why or what I ask?

because I can .. nothing to get defensive about, just curious.

Bullaholic
10-09-2012, 02:53 PM
, just curious.

Which was the whole motivation for my thread. No prob here.

sandmaster
10-09-2012, 02:53 PM
The Bulls got quite used to the Slot T in the 2008 playoffs when they played Llano and Liberty Hill. They beat Llano but couldn't beat LH.

Ernest T Bass
10-09-2012, 02:55 PM

No, it's not growing in usage.

Bullaholic
10-09-2012, 02:56 PM
The Bulls got quite used to the Slot T in the 2008 playoffs when they played Llano and Liberty Hill. They beat Llano but couldn't beat LH.

LH had an outstanding team that season from top to bottom and ran that Slot "T" like a well-oiled machine.

panfan
10-09-2012, 02:56 PM
Which was the whole motivation for my thread. No prob here.

I think a small subset of programs use it, and continue to use if they have success with it. Some try it, don't like it and abandon it or use it mixed with something else. If it is run well, it is effective. It is not glamerous. Heck we have had good athletes leave because they wanted to be in a spread type offense.

Bullaholic
10-09-2012, 03:00 PM
If I was a coach with a big, athletic o-line and several good backs, I would sure try it. If I have more quicker, smaller players, then the spread would be the ticket.

OLE'BULL
10-09-2012, 03:16 PM

We used to. Now they call it the slot T. I think it is almost a combination of both though...

Rabid Cougar
10-09-2012, 04:26 PM
Lampasas runs it.

LH Panther Mom
10-09-2012, 06:16 PM
Navarro does.

bobcat1
10-09-2012, 08:30 PM
LH had an outstanding team that season from top to bottom and ran that Slot "T" like a well-oiled machine.
Until Midliothian happened. :wave:

bobcat1
10-09-2012, 08:31 PM
If I was a coach with a big, athletic o-line and several good backs, I would sure try it. If I have more quicker, smaller players, then the spread would be the ticket.
Bull the dealer is the most important cog in that wheel to me. LH ran in to perfection in 06 and 07 for sure.

LHPfactory
10-09-2012, 08:32 PM
Lockhart went to it a year ago, went like 1-9 the first year, but are currently 4-1 this season. The have a coach from San Marcos, he is likely in Coach Vances Tree, looks like it is turning the program around down there.

Matthew328
10-09-2012, 08:46 PM
Kennedale runs the Wing T

Ville-D
10-09-2012, 10:06 PM
Looks like Amarillo tried to run it against Sville judging from the highlight video posted in another thread

Amarillo runs the Wing-T

toddg
10-09-2012, 10:44 PM
Amarillo runs the Wing-T

Alvarado runs the Katy-I

Manso/V8
10-09-2012, 10:44 PM
Bellville ran the wing t under the previous two coaches, went to the slot t with the arrival of the new coach for the 2011 season.

Ville-D
10-09-2012, 11:03 PM
Alvarado runs the Katy-I

The Injuns better work on their passing game in this "weaks" game... Gonna have to fling it if they ever get behind.

Sville
10-09-2012, 11:13 PM
Ville-D you need to change that "if" to "when" they get behind.

toddg
10-09-2012, 11:22 PM
The Injuns better work on their passing game in this "weaks" game... Gonna have to fling it if they ever get behind.

West can fling it with the best of 'em..."IF" needed...:2thumbsup

toddg
10-09-2012, 11:46 PM

West can fling it with the best of 'em..."IF" needed...:2thumbsup

he is the only active 3A QB who has actually thrown a touchdown pass in a state championship game..

turbostud
10-10-2012, 12:23 AM
Weslaco and PSJA North run the Slot T in the 5a ranks. They also play each other this week. Slot T vs. Slot T. Should be an interesting game to watch.

LHPfactory
10-10-2012, 07:56 AM

Yeah, I watched the video, no quickness, no deception, no execution on Amarillo's part. Those are the 3 key ingredients to make it work.
Playing agianst Sville didnt help matters for them either.

Manso/V8
10-11-2012, 12:57 AM
Yeah, I watched the video, no quickness, no deception, no execution on Amarillo's part. Those are the 3 key ingredients to make it work.
Playing agianst Sville didnt help matters for them either.

Wouldn't quickness, deception, and execution be key in every system?

Manso/V8
10-11-2012, 01:07 AM
Who's currently running the slot "T"?

I think it is most common in South Texas. If a team hasn't been prepped to defend against the slot t, it really shows. Coach Mitchell saw the slot a lot when he was a DC and HC in Sinton. He had the Sealy players coached up very well for the game against Bellville last year, and they weren't fooled at all.

buckeyebob
10-11-2012, 05:12 AM

They were definitly running it in 2007...we were on the receiving end on a very cold , windy Saturday in Waco. I thik they had 2,000 yards on us alone...very ugly and about as much fun as having an elephnat step on your flyndeel.

LHPfactory
10-11-2012, 06:46 AM

Yes, When LH is stocked, the TBs were hitting around 2500 for the season, FBs 2000, and usually a couple of HB's with around 1000 each. LH had one season where we had a TB, FB, and a HB all hit the 2000 mark out of the same backfield, that was the "run till daylight" trio....
Nothing like an explosive run from scrimmage.....

LHPfactory
10-11-2012, 07:19 AM
Wouldn't quickness, deception, and execution be key in every system?

Yeah, but with a spread you have to beat a few and with the Slot you have to beat all 11..... Those 3 elements have to be maximized to make it work, its what sets LH apart from most of the Slot teams.

That Amarillo slot was slow developing, It was being executed more like an I formation, not gonna work for this system, especially against a team like Sville.

The upside is that, unlike the spread, you dont need a prolific passer, big linemen, and receivers to be good,
rather you need a collection of good physical athletes that can whoop tail...

Manso/V8
10-12-2012, 12:11 PM
Yeah, but with a spread you have to beat a few and with the Slot you have to beat all 11..... Those 3 elements have to be maximized to make it work, its what sets LH apart from most of the Slot teams.

That Amarillo slot was slow developing, It was being executed more like an I formation, not gonna work for this system, especially against a team like Sville.

The upside is that, unlike the spread, you dont need a prolific passer, big linemen, and receivers to be good,
rather you need a collection of good physical athletes that can whoop tail...

We just started running the slot t last year, so our kids having grown up with the system. We have had pretty good success, especially with teams that aren't used to seeing it, that is where the deception really plays a factor.

From everything I hear LH is a slot t master program. Any highlight videos you recommend?

LHPfactory
10-12-2012, 02:25 PM
We just started running the slot t last year, so our kids having grown up with the system. We have had pretty good success, especially with teams that aren't used to seeing it, that is where the deception really plays a factor.

From everything I hear LH is a slot t master program. Any highlight videos you recommend?

There isnt much out there on LH, There is a vide that only shows the Tail or "Z" back highlights of Brent Bode, The 2500 yard TB from the 2006 Championship Season. This is on Youtube under: "Brent Bode A Look Back".

That was one hell of a group of kids on that team.

Mojo84
10-12-2012, 07:04 PM
We'll see plenty of it tonight from Navarro.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
10-12-2012, 10:56 PM
Lockhart went to it a year ago, went like 1-9 the first year, but are currently 4-1 this season. The have a coach from San Marcos, he is likely in Coach Vances Tree, looks like it is turning the program around down there.

That would be Paul Kilby. He was the AD/HFC at Mathis before getting the gig at San Marcos.

I'm not too keen on his full history, but I know he has coached with Tony Villarreal (Slot-T guy @ Weslaco High) in the past. Tony Villarreal learned it from Charlie Williams. Also, I believe Bruce Bush was the AD/HFC at San Marcos for a while? If so, then Paul Kilby was also doing Slot-T there as well (Kilby was the Offensive Coordinator I think). I believe Bruce Bush was also a product of Charlie Williams.

Bassact
10-13-2012, 01:00 AM
That would be Paul Kilby. He was the AD/HFC at Mathis before getting the gig at San Marcos.

I'm not too keen on his full history, but I know he has coached with Tony Villarreal (Slot-T guy @ Weslaco High) in the past. Tony Villarreal learned it from Charlie Williams. Also, I believe Bruce Bush was the AD/HFC at San Marcos for a while? If so, then Paul Kilby was also doing Slot-T there as well (Kilby was the Offensive Coordinator I think). I believe Bruce Bush was also a product of Charlie Williams.

Vance is also from the Bruce Bush coaching tree. Vance came from San Marcus when he took over at Liberty Hill. Coach Goad who is now at Navarro came to LH with Vance as the OC running the slot-T.
Jeff walker cam eto LH under vance as well and was the OC after Goad. i'm sure he is runnin the Slot-T, he was the master during the hey days between around 04-07.
Brian Herman is also running the Slot-T at Eustace who was at LH for many years under Vance

TarponFanInNorthTexas
10-13-2012, 01:20 AM
Ok, I got some clarification on the "Slot-T Family Tree"

Charlie Williams >>> Bruce Bush >>>> everyone else

I played Slot-T for Port Isabel from Junior High all the way through Sr. year under Tony Villarreal. Learning the basics of the Slot-T at Junior High and then expanding upon it as you progress is what we did, and by the time we were Seniors, we were masters at running it.

I was not aware of Coach Vance coming from the Bruce Bush tree as well. That's interesting.

LHPfactory
10-13-2012, 08:23 AM
Vance is also from the Bruce Bush coaching tree. Vance came from San Marcus when he took over at Liberty Hill. Coach Goad who is now at Navarro came to LH with Vance as the OC running the slot-T.
Jeff walker cam eto LH under vance as well and was the OC after Goad. i'm sure he is runnin the Slot-T, he was the master during the hey days between around 04-07.
Brian Herman is also running the Slot-T at Eustace who was at LH for many years under Vance

Coach Walker is the head coach at Rogers, they are running the Slot-T well, Rogers is now one of the Top 2A programs.

LHPfactory
10-13-2012, 08:57 AM
Ok, I got some clarification on the "Slot-T Family Tree"

Charlie Williams >>> Bruce Bush >>>> everyone else

I played Slot-T for Port Isabel from Junior High all the way through Sr. year under Tony Villarreal. Learning the basics of the Slot-T at Junior High and then expanding upon it as you progress is what we did, and by the time we were Seniors, we were masters at running it.

I was not aware of Coach Vance coming from the Bruce Bush tree as well. That's interesting.

Often times people watching it dont realize dont realize what it takes to get a Slot-T running well. Just as you said, you started with the basics in Jr High and then became masters. With the limited amount of time and man power the Jr High coaches have its a feat to get the Slot going.

I am coching in a youth league in LH and this year a group of us coaches started the Liberty Hill Panthers Youth Footbal League: http://www.eteamz.com/libertyhillpanthersyouthfootball?cmp=140

We went all in and are teaching the LH Slot-T the way Vance and his crew run it. I can tell you, its like building a clock, timing is crucial, all the gears have to be spinning at the right speeds to make it work, if not it will self destruct. The linemen have the toughest job of all, the blocking schemes are dynamic with defensive fronts, but very specific. Our goal is prepare the kids with the basics, and depending on the group, keep adding as much as they can handle and perform correctly. We run the offense and defense that the Jr High and Highschool run, no exceptions.

The varsity (5th and 6th) graders are a great group. They are running the NO HUDDLE SLOT-T !
Yes, 100% No huddle, this is a stout and disciplined bunch, I dont think they have even had a false start on Offense this season.

No matter where the group of kids are developmentally, we are dedicated to teach them the LH system and give the boys the biggest advantage going into the 7th grade that can be achieved.