PDA

View Full Version : Region IV Week 6 GotW: Gonzales(4-1) Vs. La Grange(4-1)

Pudlugger
10-04-2012, 11:34 PM
Both teams come into this game off easy wins against struggling teams. This will be a big test for the Lep defense to hold the powerful Apache offense and allow the Leopard offense to control the tempo of the game. The Leopard offense has proven to be very effective balancing a strong running game with a break out passing attack. Can the Apache ground game prove to much for the Leps? Playing at home against the Apaches will give some advantage to the Leps as Gonzales has always been tougher to beat in their own house. I think this will be a very exciting game that goes down to the wire. The last team to score will probably win. Leps by 7.

YTBulldogs
10-05-2012, 06:18 AM
GZ really have not had but one tested game, Bastrop. But, I know what they have returning from last year. And with that schedule, they are healthy and rested for sure. The Diesel, behind that line get's it done. Yes, I see a close one myself Pud, 28-20 Apaches.

Pudlugger
10-05-2012, 07:33 AM
YT it comes down to defense. I don't think the Apache's can hold the Leps to only 20 points. The Leps have so many weapons this year that it will be difficult for defenses to contain them. If the defense tries to load the box to stop the run the Leps can burn them on play action plays, screen passes or quick routes to the flat or over the middle. They have several good targets in the big TE #8 Supak, WRs # 9 Tezeno, #12 Davis and #88 Grayson. As for our defense they are very tough in the middle and will be the hardest front 4 the Apaches have faced this year. It is going to be a heck of a game.

YTBulldogs
10-05-2012, 08:12 AM
YT it comes down to defense. I don't think the Apache's can hold the Leps to only 20 points. The Leps have so many weapons this year that it will be difficult for defenses to contain them. If the defense tries to load the box to stop the run the Leps can burn them on play action plays, screen passes or quick routes to the flat or over the middle. They have several good targets in the big TE #8 Supak, WRs # 9 Tezeno, #12 Davis and #88 Grayson. As for our defense they are very tough in the middle and will be the hardest front 4 the Apaches have faced this year. It is going to be a heck of a game.

Pud, you my me right. Due to GZ schedule hard to guage them. But, I do know what they have returning. And, the SS (ZL) is about the best I seen in years, and he will make those underslassmen the Lep's try to come up the middle/outside with, pay for it. I will agree, this is a "homer" type pick, cause they are a long time district foe. And, I know all these kid's from when we all started together in CYFL. Coach Clack, thought these kids great fundamentals and instilled that winning attitude in them at their learning stage. I do know this, it will be a battle for both teams. Would it surprise me the Lep's win? No. But, I strongly feel GZ is the better team in this matchup.

Manso/V8
10-05-2012, 08:25 AM
I know things have changed for La Grange since they played Bellville last year, but I still can't keep that game from influencing my take on this match up.
My vote in the poll was for Gonzales.

Now I have changed my mind.
Gonzales has a good defense, but not enough to shut down the Leps.
I am going to take the Leps by a TD.

YTBulldogs
10-05-2012, 11:04 AM
I know things have changed for La Grange since they played Bellville last year, but I still can't keep that game from influencing my take on this match up.
My vote in the poll was for Gonzales.

Now I have changed my mind.
Gonzales has a good defense, but not enough to shut down the Leps.
I am going to take the Leps by a TD.

Could be right here Manso, but-- I think both have a quality "D", yet, both will be scored on here. Too talented backs on both clubs, with solid OL'ers, to shut them down. I see lot's of smacking, and more where that came from, from both squads. TO's, has expected in games like this, will determine the winner.

What a great district opener for our stout district. Take a Friday off, could be a "L" for ya that Friday night. Awwww, it's exciting time now. All are 0-0.

hookandladder
10-05-2012, 03:15 PM
GZ really have not had but one tested game, Bastrop. But, I know what they have returning from last year. And with that schedule, they are healthy and rested for sure. The Diesel, behind that line get's it done. Yes, I see a close one myself Pud, 28-20 Apaches.

The Diesel , I assume you are talking about their RB did not play last night. He was in street cloths last night from what I was told, diciple issue from what I heard. Might just be a rumor but they is what I was told, I would assume he will be back next week. The one test against Bastrop is hard to gauge the team, Smithville scrimmaged Bastrop and it was dominated by Smithville.Looking forward to next Friday.

underthetepee
10-05-2012, 04:51 PM
street clothes-No, He wasn't even there.
The Diesel , I assume you are talking about their RB did not play last night. He was in street cloths last night from what I was told, diciple issue from what I heard. Might just be a rumor but they is what I was told, I would assume he will be back next week. The one test against Bastrop is hard to gauge the team, Smithville scrimmaged Bastrop and it was dominated by Smithville.Looking forward to next Friday.

hookandladder
10-05-2012, 08:02 PM
street clothes-No, He wasn't even there.

So where was he, just curious.

Pudlugger
10-06-2012, 07:14 AM
Okay now it's week 7 so we can go full bore and talk smack on this great match up next Friday night. I think this will be one of 2 definitive games in the D26 race for district. GOTW for Region 4 for sure. I understand the Leps are healthy with a couple of key players returned from pre-season injuries and all hands are on deck for this showdown. The Leps have the Apaches at home and are poised to strike. This team(4-1) has consistently improved their game from the opening loss to 4a Marble Falls(3-2) especially their defense giving up only 16 points(7 by the first D) since that disappointing debut to the Todd Dodge coached scoring juggernaut.

YTBulldogs
10-06-2012, 07:30 AM
If the Diesel plays, 28-20 GZ. If not, LG 20-13.

YTBulldogs
10-06-2012, 08:33 AM
Gontex, you've always been a straight shooter. What is The Diesels issue? Is he playing in the opener vs, Lep's? And, if he was punished for something, no better game to impose that penalty than against the SH game. Hat's off to the Big Guy for proving no one, regardless how good they are, is above team rules, if Cecil did do something wrong. Lock is a quality coach, and you must follow his rules regardless who you are.

Like I said, have no idea what Cecil did. Heck, maybe he was hurt as far as I know, and this would be a good game in which to give him time off to get healthy. Or, grade issue. Just dunno. But, I do know, GZ is ton's better with him, than without, period. Without The Diesel, GZ drops down with us, for a battle for a playoff spot, instead of really contending for another district crown for real. They are my fav to win the title, but--that's with CJ in there each week. I don't see a better RB in district than him.

Pudlugger
10-06-2012, 10:35 AM
Gontex, you've always been a straight shooter. What is The Diesels issue? Is he playing in the opener vs, Lep's? And, if he was punished for something, no better game to impose that penalty than against the SH game. Hat's off to the Big Guy for proving no one, regardless how good they are, is above team rules, if Cecil did do something wrong. Lock is a quality coach, and you must follow his rules regardless who you are.

Like I said, have no idea what Cecil did. Heck, maybe he was hurt as far as I know, and this would be a good game in which to give him time off to get healthy. Or, grade issue. Just dunno. But, I do know, GZ is ton's better with him, than without, period. Without The Diesel, GZ drops down with us, for a battle for a playoff spot, instead of really contending for another district crown for real. They are my fav to win the title, but--that's with CJ in there each week. I don't see a better RB in district than him.

All this diesel talk sounds like making excuses going in. If GZ can't win without one player what does that say about the team as a whole? Sealy was supposed to be a one man show but after what I saw last night they can play with the best of them in any district and have a shot a winning. Gonzales is no different. Let's just concentrate on playing the best with what we have. As a favorite Sec Def once said "You go to war with the army you have not the army you might want or wish to have at a latter time."

underthetepee
10-06-2012, 12:24 PM
Pud. NO ONE from Gonzales is or has made any excuses reguarding personnel. That is someone from another community saying that!
All this diesel talk sounds like making excuses going in. If GZ can't win without one player what does that say about the team as a whole? Sealy was supposed to be a one man show but after what I saw last night they can play with the best of them in any district and have a shot a winning. Gonzales is no different. Let's just concentrate on playing the best with what we have. As a favorite Sec Def once said "You go to war with the army you have not the army you might want or wish to have at a latter time."

Pudlugger
10-06-2012, 12:37 PM
I know Undertheteepee. No one from Gonzales is making excuses I was directing my comments to yall's neighbor up the road a bit. Lookin' forward to Friday as are you I'm sure.

Gontex
10-06-2012, 02:26 PM

Sorry YT, I have no clue and even if I did, I wouldn't say. You've got to remember that this is a teenager and deserves privacy in whatever has happened. If he has done something illegal and it makes the papers, then perhaps we'll know. In the meantime, I simply do not know.

txsportswriter
10-06-2012, 03:38 PM
With or without the Diesel, the Apaches win this one by two, 27-25.

YTBulldogs
10-06-2012, 04:14 PM
With or without the Diesel, the Apaches win this one by two, 27-25.

Stick with the JH girls volleyball coverage txsportswriter. The Diesel is the difference maker here. That freshman and ZL are good, but--CJ is a beast at RB.

pacman
10-06-2012, 05:42 PM
DJ Gonzales had a real good game against SH. He played a key role in that game.:clap: The Diesel, DJ, the freshman, and The Beast Lopez (the four amigos) will gain max yards in this game against LG. These 4, well drain the energy out of any team. It will be hard for a team to stay with them all four quarters. It is going to be a good game. Can not wait.:wave:

YTBulldogs
10-06-2012, 05:53 PM
DJ Gonzales had a real good game against SH. He played a key role in that game.:clap: The Diesel, DJ, the freshman, and The Beast Lopez (the four amigos) will gain max yards in this game against LG. These 4, well drain the energy out of any team. It will be hard for a team to stay with them all four quarters. It is going to be a good game. Can not wait.:wave:

I totally agree pacman. Hope they all play? Not sure a better RB corp in the district. Diesel, best RB in district IMO. To me, Lopez is "The Beast" at safety. Hurts just thinking about him coming up and popping ya. LOL.

Heard great things too in regards to the freshman. GZ will be blessed for several years in the back field. Congrats and best of luck Friday to ya'll.

fire_it_up
10-06-2012, 06:09 PM
Blowing it way out of proportion. Nothing illegal. Let's respect the underaged students' privacy. I don't thing any message board is appropriate for grown adults to single out and talk about a kids private issue. Gonzales has a ton of quality athletes and they can hold their own with or without any one player. Apaches win by two touchdowns as a TEAM! I guess La Grange is just going to have to wonder all week!:stirpot:

Snotbubbles
10-06-2012, 06:20 PM
Can't help but think Gtown has been practicing for this one for a month now. With the cupcake schedule they had, they were afforded this luxury. Too many studs returning from an undefeated district title, 1 loss season. And that safety has been the "D" leader for a couple years now. Lep's QB (not the fastest of foot) better know where Lopez each play, and the RB's too up in the hole. Gonzo thrives sticking it to ya at your house. Really don't see this one close.

Gtown 40
Lep's 13

They could of put 200 on us. LOL. Not to say, LG couldn't put a 100 on us as well.

pacman
10-06-2012, 06:33 PM
What's up fire it up, going to the come and take it?

fire_it_up
10-06-2012, 06:37 PM
What's up fire it up, going to the come and take it?

Already went and took it!:ack!:

pacman
10-06-2012, 06:47 PM

We are just going to stay for awhile. Sunday is the best day to stay and eat, while sitting around and talking to everybody.

YTBulldogs
10-06-2012, 07:00 PM
Can't help but think Gtown has been practicing for this one for a month now. With the cupcake schedule they had, they were afforded this luxury. Too many studs returning from an undefeated district title, 1 loss season. And that safety has been the "D" leader for a couple years now. Lep's QB (not the fastest of foot) better know where Lopez each play, and the RB's too up in the hole. Gonzo thrives sticking it to ya at your house. Really don't see this one close.

Gtown 40
Lep's 13

They could of put 200 on us. LOL. Not to say, LG couldn't put a 100 on us as well.

Cuz, I think you took a few Lopez hits Thursday night, instead of your Cane players.:vrycnfsd: I know you seen the Lep's a few times. MF and I think you mention CL. I say it's much closer than 40-13. But, I agree, MF, CL has no "D".

Pudlugger
10-06-2012, 08:01 PM
Well don't write any checks yall can't cover. We know the Apaches have a powerful running game and strong safety. However, we have a few guys who can play of our own. The Apaches have not faced a defense like ours yet. I seriously doubt they will put up more than 21 on us. Our offense is better than anything that Gonzales has faced as well. This is going to be a very hard fought game and neither team has a lock on the outcome. You can say otherwise but that wont make it so.

Gontex
10-06-2012, 08:48 PM

Have a great crowd in town for CATI. Biggest group I have seen in a while. Weather is perfect.

hookandladder
10-06-2012, 10:27 PM
Gonzales returns 6 offense and 5 defenses starters from last year, after seeing film on them they have as many as 6 or 7 players going both ways. La Grange has no player going both ways, so I see a major key for LG to keep game close heading into the 4th quarter and then wear them down in the 4th quarter. No doubt this will be the best team LG has faced this year, we must continue to take care of the ball and play solid defense. Gonzales has not played any really decents teams this year also unless you want to count Bastrop which Smithville dominated in their scrimmage, looking forward to a great game on Friday.

Pudlugger
10-07-2012, 08:41 AM
Now that the Leps have two platoons for the offense and defense we have seen the results. With the ball control style offense the defense gets rested and has been successful in controlling the tempo of the game. Against a tough for like Gonzales they will be tested. Our front 4 and linebackers are solid and the Apaches will not run over them like they did in SA Sam Houston last week. This is going to be a slobberknocker folks. We know the Apaches are going to come straight at the Leps. Friday night football at its best is coming up this week.

YTBulldogs
10-07-2012, 09:01 AM
Now that the Leps have two platoons for the offense and defense we have seen the results. With the ball control style offense the defense gets rested and has been successful in controlling the tempo of the game. Against a tough for like Gonzales they will be tested. Our front 4 and linebackers are solid and the Apaches will not run over them like they did in SA Sam Houston last week. This is going to be a slobberknocker folks. We know the Apaches are going to come straight at the Leps. Friday night football at its best is coming up this week.

Well said Pud. Good luck to both. D26 excitement is about to begin. Don't take a Friday off is what I'm hearing. The real games are about to begin.

pacman
10-07-2012, 09:18 AM
Well don't write any checks yall can't cover. We know the Apaches have a powerful running game and strong safety. However, we have a few guys who can play of our own. The Apaches have not faced a defense like ours yet. I seriously doubt they will put up more than 21 on us. Our offense is better than anything that Gonzales has faced as well. This is going to be a very hard fought game and neither team has a lock on the outcome. You can say otherwise but that wont make it so.

How can you say we have not faced a defense like yours when you yourself said that we (both teams have not played any good teams yet). So you really cant say that we will not be able to put 21 points on your team.

Pudlugger
10-07-2012, 09:36 AM
Okay here's the deal. Take Columbus for comparison. La Grange beat them 46-7. Their only score came from a muffed snap on a punt giving them the ball on the Lep 15. Columbus put up 40 points against Giddings losing 55-40. Now I know the problems with drawing conclusions about common opponents and all. Columbus probably will go 3-7 this year and is not a playoff level team or near the level of a team like Gonzales. However, the Lep defense must be doing something right to hold opponents to an average of 14 points factoring in that shootout in Marble Falls in game one. The 16 points scored against the Leps since then come from the bad snap punt muff and the 2nd string D against Canyon Lake's 1st O in the 4th quarter plus another bad snap leading to a safety. Bottom line is that our first team defense has been doing a great job since MF and the resulting adjustments made subsequent to that loss. I don't think the Apaches will have the kind of success running the ball that they have enjoyed up to now this Friday. On the other hand the Apache defense is very stout as well giving up an average of 10 points per game. So this may come down to a defensive battle. Again this game will be a slobberknocker.

pacman
10-07-2012, 09:41 AM
Okay here's the deal. Take Columbus for comparison. La Grange beat them 46-7. Their only score came from a muffed snap on a punt giving them the ball on the Lep 15. Columbus put up 40 points against Giddings losing 55-40. Now I know the problems with drawing conclusions about common opponents and all. Columbus probably will go 3-7 this year and is not a playoff level team or near the level of a team like Gonzales. However, the Lep defense must be doing something right to hold opponents to an average of 14 points factoring in that shootout in Marble Falls in game one. The 16 points scored against the Leps since then come from the bad snap punt muff and the 2nd string D against Canyon Lake's 1st O in the 4th quarter plus another bad snap leading to a safety. Bottom line is that our first team defense has been doing a great job since MF and the resulting adjustments made subsequent to that loss. I don't think the Apaches will have the kind of success running the ball that they have enjoyed up to now this Friday. On the other hand the Apache defense is very stout as well giving up an average of 10 points per game. So this may come down to a defensive battle. Again this game will be a slobberknocker.

This is very true in some strange sense, but LG's linebackers better be fast to get the RB's

hookandladder
10-07-2012, 12:56 PM
This is very true in some strange sense, but LG's linebackers better be fast to get the RB's

Our LB 's will have their hands full with your RB's however you guys have not faced a front 3 like our's, DE's are 6'5" 240 strong and can run extremely well with a very strong and quick NT. I will say one thing for sure no matter win or lose , your RB's will know who No. 99 is for us on D. One of the keys for us on D will be the play of our Outside LB's , first year starters that have gotten better each week. On offense we will need to mix it up with the run, pass plays, I know your safety is very good in run support however sometimes being to aggressive against the run can be a bad thing. We have weapon on offense to take advantage of your D , just have to get it done when it counts. Friday cannot come soon enough, hope for a great clean game and injury free. Also as I stated earlier , if game is close in the 4th I feel our depth will be a factor. Hard to play 14 players both ways and win a close game with the other team fresh in the 4th.

Pudlugger
10-07-2012, 05:59 PM
I have been impressed with how strong our defense has been in the middle too Hook. Those front four and mlbs are playing lights out football right now just in time for district. Our secondary has been effective as well since the changes after the MF game. I like our chances Friday.

pacman
10-07-2012, 06:14 PM
Our LB 's will have their hands full with your RB's however you guys have not faced a front 3 like our's, DE's are 6'5" 240 strong and can run extremely well with a very strong and quick NT. I will say one thing for sure no matter win or lose , your RB's will know who No. 99 is for us on D. One of the keys for us on D will be the play of our Outside LB's , first year starters that have gotten better each week. On offense we will need to mix it up with the run, pass plays, I know your safety is very good in run support however sometimes being to aggressive against the run can be a bad thing. We have weapon on offense to take advantage of your D , just have to get it done when it counts. Friday cannot come soon enough, hope for a great clean game and injury free. Also as I stated earlier , if game is close in the 4th I feel our depth will be a factor. Hard to play 14 players both ways and win a close game with the other team fresh in the 4th.

Hook, well said. #99 will be a handfull. But, our front can handle it just as well. Your are right friday cannot come soon enough, good luck to your players and I too hope for a safe game.

hookandladder
10-07-2012, 09:06 PM

One thing you mention here is it will be hard for any team to stay with them for 4 quarters, just curious about your game last year with Wimberley. I see the score was pretty one sided, was that game close at any time. Just wondering if playing a number of kids both ways affected that game , I would assume Wimberley played a few kids both ways also. Just curious how that game played out.

YTBulldogs
10-07-2012, 09:20 PM
One thing you mention here is it will be hard for any team to stay with them for 4 quarters, just curious about your game last year with Wimberley. I see the score was pretty one sided, was that game close at any time. Just wondering if playing a number of kids both ways affected that game , I would assume Wimberley played a few kids both ways also. Just curious how that game played out.

First half it was close, then GZ gave up a last sec, long TD pass just before half.

regaleagle
10-07-2012, 09:25 PM
Sounds to me like Gonzalez needs to put LG in punting formations as often as possible with the deep snap problems they have experienced so far. Could be a problem area for them that GZ may be able to exploit with pressure on 4th downs or shotgun formations.

Pudlugger
10-07-2012, 09:32 PM
Sounds to me like Gonzalez needs to put LG in punting formations as often as possible with the deep snap problems they have experienced so far. Could be a problem area for them that GZ may be able to exploit with pressure on 4th downs or shotgun formations.

Not really a problem. The first one was in game 2 and was only one of a couple punt attempts that game. The second was in game 5 in the rain in the 4th quarter with the second team in. The kicker dropped the snap picked it up and tried to run with it and got tackled in the endzone. If any defense can force a punt they are playing well. Our deep snapper is reliable but with our offense he doesn't get many snaps in punting situations.

hookandladder
10-07-2012, 10:30 PM

Our first muffed punt snap of the season was to a player who is no longer on the team and the second muffed punt snap was to our 3rd string QB who just learn he was our 3rd string QB in the Needville game at half because the game was bascically over at halftime. Our QB is now the punter but with not punting much this season it is an area that does not have much game action, I would bet we have not punted over 5 or 6 times this year and those have come after we were up by 4 or 5 TD's. I am sure Gonzales has not punted much this year either, so both teams are in the same position.

Pudlugger
10-07-2012, 10:47 PM
Well we will not need to punt much if we bring our A game.:stirpot:

buff4ever
10-08-2012, 10:22 AM
I think that LG will pull this game out by a small margin. This will answer my questions on both teams maybe. I don't get a sense that gonz is as good as last year, even though they should be, and don't know if LG has played anyone of this caliber yet.

YTBulldogs
10-08-2012, 10:36 AM
I think that LG will pull this game out by a small margin. This will answer my questions on both teams maybe. I don't get a sense that gonz is as good as last year, even though they should be, and don't know if LG has played anyone of this caliber yet.

True, neither has faced teams like they are about to in this district. Hard to guage what they really can do. I'm just basing on what GZ had last year, and what's returning. Seems you could load the box and contain them, cause I don't see them throwing it very well consistantly. Still like GZ here, in a good close one.

Lombardi
10-08-2012, 02:35 PM
they should be? GZ lost 6 or 7 starters on defense from 2011. Shows you don't know much about their team!

hookandladder
10-08-2012, 04:06 PM
they should be? GZ lost 6 or 7 starters on defense from 2011. Shows you don't know much about their team!

Gonzales lost the same number of players as we did from last years team and there is no doubt our team this year is definitely a better team, our Junior class has some quailty skilled players that have filled any void left from last years Seniors. Also being the third year under our coach is definitely a big plus, running the same system for 2 years now.

buff4ever
10-08-2012, 04:21 PM

good point lombardi, Gonzales was not in our district last year, so I don't know other than what I read on here over last couple years. Word was they returned quite a bit. That is a lot to lose on defense, we lost a lot of seniors as well, but last years underclassmen are stepping up well.

Yoe_09
10-08-2012, 07:05 PM
Gonzales(4-1)
W 27-6 over Victoria East
L 28-27 to Bastrop
W 48-7 over Austin Lanier
W 47-6 over College Station W
W 61-6 over SA Sam Houston

Vs.

La Grange(4-1)
L 56-36 to Marble Falls
W 46-7 over Columbus
W 48-0 over Royal
W 47-0 over Needville
W 34-9 over Canyon Lake

Thoughts & Predictions?

Snotbubbles
10-09-2012, 07:44 AM
After getting his mouth washed out with soap, look for the Diesel to make the Lep's pay. I see a 200+ yard CJ performance coming at you LaGrange. 40-13, Apaches.

hookandladder
10-09-2012, 07:48 AM
After getting his mouth washed out with soap, look for the Diesel to make the Lep's pay. I see a 200+ yard CJ performance coming at you LaGrange. 40-13, Apaches.

We shall see but I know we are no Sam Houston team, that had to be just plain pitiful for you Snotbubbles.

Snotbubbles
10-09-2012, 08:12 AM
We shall see but I know we are no Sam Houston team, that had to be just plain pitiful for you Snotbubbles.

Why you think these teams scheduled us this year? They knew the Canes would be "pitiful" this year. Luckily, the Diesel was at the Truck Stop (didn't play) last Thursday, or they might have put 100+ on us. Hooker, your about to face a ground attack unlike what you've seen in a while. Guess you could put 8 in a box and try to contain the run? GZ don't really have a air game.

hookandladder
10-09-2012, 08:38 AM
Why you think these teams scheduled us this year? They knew the Canes would be "pitiful" this year. Luckily, the Diesel was at the Truck Stop (didn't play) last Thursday, or they might have put 100+ on us. Hooker, your about to face a ground attack unlike what you've seen in a while. Guess you could put 8 in a box and try to contain the run? GZ don't really have a air game.

I think we have faced some pretty strong running and passsing attacks in the last 2 years, not saying we are Wimberley of last year but it looks like they did a good job against their ground attack. Hard to judge a team when they have not played any decent teams, we are in the same boat. We have not played any really good teams other then MF and we had no problem moving the ball on them, turnovers killed us. Bastrop is the only decent ( And I use that term losely) team Gonzales has played and lost to them, we are well ware that Gonzales has a good ground game and that will be the main focus to slow it down. This should a quick game as far as time goes with both team wanting to run the ball, we must play a solid game on both sides of the ball.

Snotbubbles
10-09-2012, 09:15 AM
I know I have plugged GZ ground game to no end, but--the difference will be the Apaches "D". Not cause we didn't do crap against them (hell, Poteet will beat us this year). I see them stopping the Lep's ground game, and forcing the QB to try and beat them via the pass, and that will be the Lep's down fall. I can see numerous sacks in this one, and several forced INT's. Given time, Logan V. is a descent pocket passer, but--not sure he can scramble and be accurate. Not a fast scrambler. GZ D-line will blow that pocket up allowing the blitzes packages from all angles coming at him. Your right Hooker, neither has played anyone worth a hoot, but--I know you have not faced a team with a "D" like GZ has to offer. Sure, you have zero 2-way starters (and, most often that's a big bonus), but--it will not be that close in the 4th to matter I think. The BIG man has the Apaches in shape and prepared for another strong district run. I'm bias here, having faced GZ over the years, and even when we had talent, they dominated us. Coach Green--last year, should of not ran the spread, but--just pounded the rock straight ahead with the massive line the Canes had, with several possible D1 prospects anchoring the OL. Just don't see this this being close,. No dis-respect, just an outsider view, having seen both teams play a couple times this year.

Might add, we are no Columbus or Needville either. We could beat them teams. Yes, both teams will face the best opponent to date. Lock is a solid coach, and he'll have SS Lopez in several positions to take advantage of the slow footed QB, and I think he'll have sacks against him. Better keep an eye where Lopez will line up at.

Loading the box is the Lep's only chance to keep it close here. Then maybe your fresh players have a shot late. Hillman is not a consistent thrower, and you could gain an edge there. Get CJ upset, I have seen him take a few play's off when he's smacked for losses.

Pudlugger
10-09-2012, 09:31 AM
Wow that's some mighty big talk fella. It is a good thing the game still will be played otherwise we'd have to surrender right there. According to you this Diesel guy shoots lightening bolts out of his eyes and balls of fire out of his arse. We shall see.:flaming:

buff4ever
10-09-2012, 09:36 AM
Snot, you will find out that LG will not give up 40 to Gonz. I am not sure yet of who wins this game, I pick LG, but I can assure you that Gonz will not score 40 points.

YTBulldogs
10-09-2012, 09:56 AM
Concur, game will be nic and tuck entire way. Do agree, team who stops the rushing attack will win here. But, winner will win by 8 points or less IMO.

Pudlugger
10-09-2012, 10:39 AM
Both teams are about equal in total offense and defense stats. However, the Lep offense is balanced while the Apache's rely on the run. That gives an edge to LG IMO. The Leps will try to force them out of their comfort zone and make them throw the football. This will be an interesting football game.

hookandladder
10-09-2012, 11:14 AM
I know I have plugged GZ ground game to no end, but--the difference will be the Apaches "D". Not cause we didn't do crap against them (hell, Poteet will beat us this year). I see them stopping the Lep's ground game, and forcing the QB to try and beat them via the pass, and that will be the Lep's down fall. I can see numerous sacks in this one, and several forced INT's. Given time, Logan V. is a descent pocket passer, but--not sure he can scramble and be accurate. Not a fast scrambler. GZ D-line will blow that pocket up allowing the blitzes packages from all angles coming at him. Your right Hooker, neither has played anyone worth a hoot, but--I know you have not faced a team with a "D" like GZ has to offer. Sure, you have zero 2-way starters (and, most often that's a big bonus), but--it will not be that close in the 4th to matter I think. The BIG man has the Apaches in shape and prepared for another strong district run. I'm bias here, having faced GZ over the years, and even when we had talent, they dominated us. Coach Green--last year, should of not ran the spread, but--just pounded the rock straight ahead with the massive line the Canes had, with several possible D1 prospects anchoring the OL. Just don't see this this being close,. No dis-respect, just an outsider view, having seen both teams play a couple times this year.

Might add, we are no Columbus or Needville either. We could beat them teams. Yes, both teams will face the best opponent to date. Lock is a solid coach, and he'll have SS Lopez in several positions to take advantage of the slow footed QB, and I think he'll have sacks against him. Better keep an eye where Lopez will line up at.

Loading the box is the Lep's only chance to keep it close here. Then maybe your fresh players have a shot late. Hillman is not a consistent thrower, and you could gain an edge there. Get CJ upset, I have seen him take a few play's off when he's smacked for losses.

You have obviously not seen much film on our QB, not saying he is a speedster however rolling out of the pocket is what we have done more of this year. As far as your team being better then Needville and Columbus , I might give you Needville but Columbus I doubt that very seriously. Gotta love your confidence even though it is not your team, guess you feel if Gonzales puts it on us it will make you feel better about your team. We will show up and play , that's all we can do. You know what they say about Opinions.

Pudlugger
10-09-2012, 02:38 PM
Our qb has been very effective in the play option passing game and has made several crucial third down conversions by tucking and running under the coverage. He also runs a pretty good option play. You'll see Friday how good our offense is run by #18 Vinklarek.

YTBulldogs
10-09-2012, 03:10 PM
I know LV can sure smack the long ball in baseball too, and scoop'em in the dirt better than any 1b'man I've seen in a while. Had the pleasure to be around him this summer while he played baseball. Solid athlete.

pacman
10-09-2012, 03:27 PM
Our qb has been very effective in the play option passing game and has made several crucial third down conversions by tucking and running under the coverage. He also runs a pretty good option play. You'll see Friday how good our offense is run by #18 Vinklarek.

Pud,
you put your offense on just one person? We use our whole offense. (or, we really could just use The Diesel):stirpot:

hookandladder
10-09-2012, 03:37 PM
Pud,
you put your offense on just one person? We use our whole offense. (or, we really could just use The Diesel):stirpot:

You can look at our numbers offensively and definitely see our offense is spread around pretty evenly, we have two RB's and 3 really good receivers that all get their touches. Our players are very aware of the Diesel , he will have a convoy around him everywhere he goes. If we can slow him down it may be up to your QB to take the heat off, how well does your QB throw the ball.

Roughneck93
10-09-2012, 05:33 PM
Going with LG by 6.

fire_it_up
10-09-2012, 07:47 PM
You can look at our numbers offensively and definitely see our offense is spread around pretty evenly, we have two RB's and 3 really good receivers that all get their touches. Our players are very aware of the Diesel , he will have a convoy around him everywhere he goes. If we can slow him down it may be up to your QB to take the heat off, how well does your QB throw the ball.

Remember that Apaches beat Sam 61-6 without Johnson. I would say we obviously have multiple threats. Go ahead focus on one running back and see where that gets you.

Pudlugger
10-09-2012, 08:44 PM
Remember that Apaches beat Sam 61-6 without Johnson. I would say we obviously have multiple threats. Go ahead focus on one running back and see where that gets you.

Last I checked only one player can run with the ball. I'm confident the Lep defense will concentrate on the player whoever has the ball. Multidimensional refers to more than the running game. Having balance in your attack with a robust passing game is a big plus for the Leps. I believe Hook was referring to that aspect of the match up.

zebrablue2
10-09-2012, 08:58 PM
Wow that's some mighty big talk fella. It is a good thing the game still will be played otherwise we'd have to surrender right there. According to you this Diesel guy shoots lightening bolts out of his eyes and balls of fire out of his arse. We shall see.:flaming:

ROFLMAO!!!:fnypost: Only PUD.. Leps by 2 tds...

Pudlugger
10-10-2012, 08:16 AM
I understand the Apache's run out of the slot t or wing t formation. Is that correct? Do they employ the shotgun in passing situations or the run and gun? The Leps employ the I formation, power I, pro-set and Pistol. They also can line up in the shotgun. They have gotten away from the spread which was the sine qua non of Lep offenses in the Walker post Valastro Veer era prior to Coach Kates. The multi-set look challenges the defenses and relies on an effective running game to occupy the secondary opening up the short pass routes. It will be interesting to observe how well the Apache defense adjusts to this offense.

sabre1
10-10-2012, 10:55 AM
Don't want to sound like a downer here but it is going to be impoosible to talk about defense for both teams because, of no fault to anyone making the schedules but the competition this year, for both teams, haven't been that good. Both teams shut down who they were suppose too. So we will have to wait and see what happens on Friday.

hookandladder
10-10-2012, 11:30 AM
Don't want to sound like a downer here but it is going to be impoosible to talk about defense for both teams because, of no fault to anyone making the schedules but the competition this year, for both teams, haven't been that good. Both teams shut down who they were suppose too. So we will have to wait and see what happens on Friday.

Very true , when the new District came out we were playing half the team's in pre season that are now in our District. I see a couple polls have us picked to win, that is very surprising to me considering what Gonzales did last year. Gonzales definitely should be the favorite to win this game after what they acommplished last year, LG not putting a lot of stock in the polls just looking to compete for a playoff spot.

buff4ever
10-10-2012, 02:22 PM
Unless one of these teams blow the other out, we still don't learn anything about them, because they may both be as good as they look regardless of who they have played.

Pudlugger
10-10-2012, 06:54 PM
Unless one of these teams blow the other out, we still don't learn anything about them, because they may both be as good as they look regardless of who they have played.

On the other hand if one team blows the other out folks might say well that team that lost was over rated so it doesn't help the winner in standings. I think as do most on this thread that the teams are even in their records and in their talent but they match up differently. It is that difference that makes me confident the Leps will win. Leps by 7.

1st and goal
10-10-2012, 07:39 PM
I need to get someone's number to exchange texts for scores for this game. PM me if you're interested and would like Giddings updates....

1st and goal
10-11-2012, 04:15 PM
I need to get someone's number to exchange texts for scores for this game. PM me if you're interested and would like Giddings updates....

Got 1

thanks

Pudlugger
10-11-2012, 07:59 PM
We got a good half inch of rain today so the field will be soft and damp. Both teams like to run so it will be a slippery game.

pacman
10-11-2012, 08:10 PM
I hope no one gets hurt with the field being soft and damp. One more day baby!!!!!:clap:

Pudlugger
10-12-2012, 07:03 AM
Game day is finally here. The two weeks off really stresses fans like myself without that weekly dose of Lep football. This game marks the beginning of season two where every week we go all in for the district playoff positions. Gonzales no doubt is as stoked as La Grange so expect a very intense showing from both teams tonight. The weather will be good and our team is healthy and primed for the win. Go Leps!

hookandladder
10-12-2012, 07:28 AM
Game day is finally here. The two weeks off really stresses fans like myself without that weekly dose of Lep football. This game marks the beginning of season two where every week we go all in for the district playoff positions. Gonzales no doubt is as stoked as La Grange so expect a very intense showing from both teams tonight. The weather will be good and our team is healthy and primed for the win. Go Leps!

Yes after two weeks of no Lep football it is finally time to strap it up again tongiht, we will need to play 4 solid quarters to pull out a win against a proven playoff team from last year. It will still be a long day till game time, Any body know the score of the JV game I know the Freshman tied .

buff4ever
10-12-2012, 10:04 AM
leps win a close one. North side of district is going to represent tonight.

hookandladder
10-12-2012, 10:09 AM
leps win a close one. North side of district is going to represent tonight.

I am hoping you are right, I feel good about our chances however you never know how the ball will bounce. I feel your guys offense will be to much for Cuero, to many skilled players on your side of the ball.

YTBulldogs
10-12-2012, 10:30 AM
South siders might be out gunned, but--you'll know you've been in a battle and would not be surprised to see the South win all three. Who wants it more, could be the deciding factor late in the game.

buff4ever
10-12-2012, 04:13 PM
nice to not worry about a muddy or soft field here in Giddings.

Pudlugger
10-12-2012, 04:20 PM
nice to not worry about a muddy or soft field here in Giddings.

Football was invented to be played on grass. There is nothing like getting up from a tackle with a clod of turf stuck in your facemask and green stains on your uniform. Artificial turf is for wusses.:stirpot:

fire_it_up
10-12-2012, 06:01 PM
South siders might be out gunned, but--you'll know you've been in a battle and would not be surprised to see the South win all three. Who wants it more, could be the deciding factor late in the game.

Speak for your team.....Apaches are NOT out gunned!

Pudlugger
10-12-2012, 11:02 PM
La Grange wins 35-34 in a thriller. The Apaches scored on a 65 yard run by #12 "The Diesel" Cecil Johnson on the first play of the game. Then the Leps fumbled the kickoff giving the Apaches a short field. The Lep D held and the lead went back and forth until the Apaches scored on another long run by #12 to go in at the half up 27-21. The Leps turned the ball over on fumbles 4 times one in which the Apaches scored on a run back. However the Leps staeyd close and by the 4th quarter the score was 34-28 Apaches. The Leps had a textbook long drive culminating in a td +PAT 35-34 Leps with 5 minutes left in the game. The Apaches returned the kickoff to midfield and methodically drove down to the 1 yard line with dives plays and a nice screen pass in the right flat. However, the Apaches fumbled on the 1 and the Leps recovered. The Apache D held the Leps who punted with 1:45 seconds left. #12 fielded the punt to the Lep 45. The Lep D held and then on 3rd and long the Apaches threw an interception to #12 Dillon Davis who ran it back to midfield. An unsportsmanlike penalty moved the ball to the 35 and the Leps took 2 knees to win 35-34. Padilla called this one right! A one point game. Congratulations to the Apaches who have a terrific team with loads of talent. Now on to meet Smithville in Leopard Stadium next Friday.

Gontex
10-12-2012, 11:17 PM
La Grange wins 35-34 in a thriller. The Apaches scored on a 65 yard run by #12 "The Diesel" Cecil Johnson on the first play of the game. Then the Leps fumbled the kickoff giving the Apaches a short field. The Lep D held and the lead went back and forth until the Apaches scored on another long run by #12 to go in at the half up 27-21. The Leps turned the ball over on fumbles 4 times one in which the Apaches scored on a run back. However the Leps staeyd close and by the 4th quarter the score was 34-28 Apaches. The Leps had a textbook long drive culminating in a td +PAT 35-34 Leps with 5 minutes left in the game. The Apaches returned the kickoff to midfield and methodically drove down to the 1 yard line with dives plays and a nice screen pass in the right flat. However, the Apaches fumbled on the 1 and the Leps recovered. The Apache D held the Leps who punted with 1:45 seconds left. #12 fielded the punt to the Lep 45. The Lep D held and then on 3rd and long the Apaches threw an interception to #12 Dillon Davis who ran it back to midfield. An unsportsmanlike penalty moved the ball to the 35 and the Leps took 2 knees to win 35-34. Padilla called this one right! A one point game. Congratulations to the Apaches who have a terrific team with loads of talent. Now on to meet Smithville in Leopard Stadium next Friday.

The fumble occurred on first down. Apaches were going in for the winning score with something like a minute left to play. I would say the Leps were fortunate to hold on, but props to your team for competing very well. This thing is going to go all the way down to the last week of the season. Apaches definitely have a now huge game next week in Gonzales against the Buffs. Don't know what it is about that little field in LaGrange that the Apaches have such a difficult time with. Seems like something wierd happens every time we play there.

Pudlugger
10-12-2012, 11:21 PM
The turnover battle was a draw. The Leps had 4 lost fumbles one was run in for a td. The Apaches had 3 interceptions and one fumble on the 5 costing them the winning td. It was a very hard fought game and went all the way to the last minute. Good luck next week to the Apaches hosting Giddings. That will be another big game.

pacman
10-13-2012, 12:18 AM
The turnover battle was a draw. The Leps had 4 lost fumbles one was run in for a td. The Apaches had 3 interceptions and one fumble on the 5 costing them the winning td. It was a very hard fought game and went all the way to the last minute. Good luck next week to the Apaches hosting Giddings. That will be another big game.

Hey pud,

Good game tonight guys. Your leps sure did put up a good fight to come out with the victory. That fumble sure was hard to swallow. Good luck next week guys. We have our hands full the rest of the way.:wave:

YTBulldogs
10-13-2012, 12:24 AM
Wow, sounded like a good one. Shame a TO down at the one cost the Apaches. Congrats to the Lep's.

hookandladder
10-13-2012, 12:28 AM
Wow, sounded like a good one. Shame a TO down at the one cost the Apaches. Congrats to the Lep's.

Yes that turnover was at a key time however LG was fixin to score on three their turnovers , Gonzales had no clue of how to stop our offense.

pacman
10-13-2012, 12:29 AM

YT that fumble was hard to swallow. Just to think that we have the game won then blaaaa. Man, I hope that does not happen next week.

YTBulldogs
10-13-2012, 12:32 AM
Hang in there pacman, I still say a 2-3 team will make the playoffs in this district. GZ, really dominate team at home and I think you'll bounce back next week against Giddings

pacman
10-13-2012, 12:36 AM
Hang in there pacman, I still say a 2-3 team will make the playoffs in this district. GZ, really dominate team at home and I think you'll bounce back next week against Giddings

Thanks YT, I hope so. :)

SintonFan
10-13-2012, 12:42 AM
Dang! Sounds like a great game!

regaleagle
10-13-2012, 03:25 AM
Yeah, it'd be nice to see one like that one sometime this season.

Pudlugger
10-13-2012, 03:42 AM
Hey pud,

Good game tonight guys. Your leps sure did put up a good fight to come out with the victory. That fumble sure was hard to swallow. Good luck next week guys. We have our hands full the rest of the way.:wave:

Yes I can imagine how that felt. Just the opposite of the way it felt to recover it. I went to Sealy last week on our bye and witnessed another miraculous ending for Wharton now this one for La Grange. The entire game was a struggle for the Leps to keep coming back after the Apaches took advantage of our 3 fumbles in the first quarter or so. What an inauspicious start to have your stud run 65 yards for a td on the first play of the game then fumble the ensuing kickoff to you guys on the 25. I'm proud of how the guys never gave up many teams would just fold right there. It was a game to be remembered for many years to come unfortunately only one team gets the win. Good luck against Giddings I think you're in a real good position to get the win being at home and coming off the disappointment and all. It depends on how your guys take this but I bet your coaches will get their heads right. Your team has much to be proud of.

gameface
10-13-2012, 07:14 AM
Great game Apaches! Your #12 is special-excellent speed and ball control. I appreciate the good sportsmanship yall displayed. Good luck next week against Giddings @ the Apache Bowl! LG has gameface on and ready for the cat fight next week at LG jungle.

Pudlugger
10-13-2012, 07:39 AM
Gameface where you been pal? It's good to have you back supporting the Leps. Get some Tiger next week.:clap:

Gobblerfan
10-13-2012, 08:58 AM
Wow....this game was awesome! It was a real nail biter! LG's defense came up big on the fumble recovery and that pick. Congrats to the Leps!

fire_it_up
10-13-2012, 09:12 AM
Yes that turnover was at a key time however LG was fixin to score on three their turnovers , Gonzales had no clue of how to stop our offense.

And you think your defense had it figured out? May I remind you of the score?

YTBulldogs
10-13-2012, 09:16 AM
Congrats to LaGrange QB Logan Vinklarek. Wow!!! 10 of 11 passing for, 200 yards and 4 TD's. Now, that's impressive. Also hat's off to "The Diesel", Gonzales Apache Cecil Johnson, 238 yards rushing and 2 TD's. The star's did shine in LaGrange last night. Both teams should be very proud of their effort in this one.:clap:

YTBulldogs
10-13-2012, 09:29 AM
Curious on GZ PAT's. Was there some bad snaps involved, forcing them to try for 2, instead of just kicking the PAT? And, did LG load the box on "D" to try and stop The Diesel?

Pudlugger
10-13-2012, 09:31 AM

Agreed the score is evidence of the Apache's powerful offense. The Lep D was challenged repeatedly in the first half due to the three lost fumbles. Fortunately they adjusted in the second half and held the Apaches to 7. I hope the offense protects the football better here on out. Congratulations to Gonzales for an outstanding effort and a real exciting game.

hookandladder
10-13-2012, 10:07 AM

My point is that fumble was at a key time however our 3 fumbles were huge also and we play thru it, our turnovers stopped our drives. No doubt both offenses dominated this game, the defenses overall played well but this game was all about big plays. This game will be remembered for a long time in LG, you guys will be hard to beat the rest of the year. This District is going to be a dog fight every week, that became clearer last night with Yoakum beating Smithville.

Pudlugger
10-13-2012, 12:38 PM
Big plays defined this game for both teams as you say Hook. The stunning 65 yard dash by Cecil Johnson #12 of Gonzales for the td on the first play of the game, the Lep's fumbled kick return that followed, the Lep fumbles in the first half on back to back drives, the several Lep interceptions of Apache long balls to get them back in the game and of course the two big plays at the end, the fumble at the 2 and the interception by #12 Davis to ice the game. I was encouraged by how the Lep defense held up in the second half and the offense patiently moved the football to get the two scores for the win. Our kicking game looks great and our return team was lights out again last night. If we can continue to play at the level we did in the second half and cure the fumble bug we should have much success in the remaining games in district play.

hookandladder
10-13-2012, 01:36 PM
The play action plays were huge for us last night, their great safety can really come up and stuff the run so we had to be successful in our shots downfield. Our receivers stepped up big time in finshing the plays, we do need to take care of the ball better because we will not always be able to overcome them. Smithville will come to town ready to play , so we need to focus on the little things from here on out.