PDA

View Full Version : Off weeks??

OLE'BULL
10-08-2012, 09:26 AM
Bellville is off this week and I was wondering everyones opinion of an off week. Do you think it should be used rest up, heal up, etc.? Or should you turn it up a notch this week with conditioning, weights, etc.? Obviously kids that are injured would rest. I think during the mid-season grind, rest is appreciated but not the best use of the week. Teams that make a deep run do not let up. We always conditioned and lifted pretty hard during this week. Thoughts?

Bullaholic
10-08-2012, 09:36 AM
Bellville is off this week and I was wondering everyones opinion of an off week. Do you think it should be used rest up, heal up, etc.? Or should you turn it up a notch this week with conditioning, weights, etc.? Obviously kids that are injured would rest. I think during the mid-season grind, rest is appreciated but not the best use of the week. Teams that make a deep run do not let up. We always conditioned and lifted pretty hard during this week. Thoughts?

I think no pads, sitting dinged players, and stressing execution, plus miles of film viewing on the next opponent by units is the ticket.

regaleagle
10-08-2012, 03:55 PM
This is Argyle's bye week, which I think for a playoff team is better to have in Week 6 or 7. It's really just about 2 weeks til another game, so there's lots of time to spend on a variety of things the coaches want to work on. Conditioning will not be an issue because the players need some rest for now, but will be back at it hard next week for sure. Lots of film, technique, and time to self-analyze to shore up problem areas is invaluable at this time. I think it's more important for the players at this point to have a better grasp of coaching concepts and awareness than it is for them to be prepared for just one game. It's easier to prepare weekly from here on out if the team is mentally together with the coaching staff. Mental mistakes can be costly, so paying attention to this part of the game at this juncture pays big dividends in the playoffs. I think this is one area that some coaching staffs tend to overlook, or not emphacize enough. During the heat of battle week in and week out, sometimes teenage boyz lose focus on the big picture and tend to react instead of using quality thought processes the coaching staff is communicating to them. The teaching never stops, and the learning curve(understanding) is what you hope will improve the play of your players.

Manso/V8
10-08-2012, 11:15 PM
Bellville's bye week coincides with the Austin County Fair again this year. This can be good or bad. The fair is always a distraction. You will see most of the players at the fairgrounds from Wed-Sat, staying out late, and not thinking about football. They still practice, but I think it would be more productive if their off week wasn't during the fair. Last year, Bellville had their bye week during the fair and came back the following Friday to play Sealy. Sealy did not have a bye during the fair and I think it worked in their favor. This year we come off of the bye to play Royal, maybe that will help us get back in the groove to face Wharton.