PDA

View Full Version : D26- A Perfect Storm in the Making

1st and goal
10-06-2012, 08:41 AM
6 tough teams previously from 2 districts. I wonder if the powers that be, put this together at the state level thinking that it would be a great district?

In no particular order:

Cuero- a perennial powerhouse that has beaten Wharton, but been a bit up and down since then. New coach, son of previous coach.
Gonzales- Went deep in the playoffs last year and didn't lose many to graduation. Only loss is to Bastrop after leading much of that game.
Lagrange- Lost initially to Marble Falls, but has since been kicking rears and taking names. Lot's of talent on both sides of the ball.
Smithville- Beat Marble Falls, then a bit up and down in some tough games. Losses only to Sealy and Liberty Hill. Tough stadium to play in.
Giddings- 5 and 0 after one of the toughest predistrict schedules in the state. Plenty of SPEED! 2nd year for Coach.
Yoakum- Sitting 3-2 before district starts. Tough big boys but many are injured. Hope they get well quick.

I predict every Friday night to be slobberknockers in this here part of Texas. Also there is a good chance that many teams could be stacked at a 3-2 or 2-3 when the dust settles. So, do they go by points scored during the season? Lagrange had to stay home last year, winning the battle but losing the war.

Let the smack begin!

YTBulldogs
10-06-2012, 08:54 AM
Now this is a great poll 1st and Goal. As district starts, I don't see any one stopping GZ, "if" The Diesel is playing. Without him, they will be just a contender for a playoff spot, instead of my predicted District Champ. Yes, any Friday, if those elite teams are not on their game, someone could slip up and surprise them. Should be a very exciting district playoff race, that will not be decided until the last game of the season IMO. And, your assessment of Yoakum, is dead on. We MUST get our key players healthy, and stay healthy to contend for a playoff spot.

My top two teams:

GZ (with The Diesel)
Giddings/LG (tie)

Wild dash for the final spot is at hand. We all start at 0-0, who wants in the playoff's start Friday?

duckhunter
10-06-2012, 09:03 AM
I want to reply with a smart*** comment to your post 2 and gol about "do they go on points scored during the season" but I'm not. Pre-district stats do not matter. I can't believe you'd actually think they would count those stats in deciding playoff spots. Everyone would be playing cupcakes then to pad points. Only so many Caldwell to go around. District points scored do hold weight though. Ask La Grange

Pudlugger
10-06-2012, 09:06 AM
Well Friday we'll find out how good Gonzales is going up against a quality opponent in La Grange. Neither team(each 4-1) has been challenged since they lost to good 4a teams early on(GZ to Bastrop 2-3 and LG to Marble Falls 3-2). The Leps have home field advantage which has been significant in past matchups with these two teams Gonzales being tougher to beat in their house. The district race should come into sharper focus by 11PM Friday.

YTBulldogs
10-06-2012, 09:06 AM
I think the district points system will only use district game scores.

1st and goal
10-06-2012, 09:09 AM
Yah, I'm hoping this thread will stay near the top all season.

I'm worried about Giddings lingering injuries, I was hoping after an off week and playing Caldwell, we might be in good shape for district. Time will tell.

Hopefully, their intensity picks up for district.

Pudlugger
10-06-2012, 09:11 AM
I want to reply with a smart*** comment to your post 2 and gol about "do they go on points scored during the season" but I'm not. Pre-district stats do not matter. I can't believe you'd actually think they would count those stats in deciding playoff spots. Everyone would be playing cupcakes then to pad points. Only so many Caldwell to go around. District points scored do hold weight though. Ask La Grange

I think he meant points scored in district. You can bet that LG will strive to put as many points up as they can after last year's disappointment. It was painful to see Smithville go one and done against Columbus in the play offs after beating them in game 10 yet staying home on 3 points in the tie breaker.

1st and goal
10-06-2012, 09:14 AM

I meant "district" season duck.

1st and goal
10-06-2012, 09:18 AM
So, if a team is winning by say, 25 points or more, and they throw a bomb to score, it's not the Coaches running up the score out of rudeness, but for the DISTRICT points tally.

Pudlugger
10-06-2012, 09:22 AM
So, if a team is winning by say, 25 points or more, and they throw a bomb to score, it's not the Coaches running up the score out of rudeness, but for the DISTRICT points tally.

You are exactly right 1st and Goal. Take no prisoners is the rule going forward into district play this year.

YTBulldogs
10-06-2012, 09:28 AM
Curious, if you know, what TASO Chapter does your school use? Yoakum uses San Antonio, Cuero uses Houston and Gonzales uses Austin.

LaGrange?
Smithville?
Giddings?

Do ya'll know?

Gontex
10-06-2012, 09:33 AM
You are exactly right 1st and Goal. Take no prisoners is the rule going forward into district play this year.

Refugio used to play a Mexican battle song called De Guello before their games which litterally meant that no quarter would be given and none would be expected. I can still remember their band standing in the south end zone of Apaches stadium playing it. That was the night Gonzales broke one of their many long winning streaks. At one time, Refugio was a 3a school and was in the district with Cuero, Gonzales and Yoakum. You may hear this song before a few games this year....

HEMOTOXIC
10-06-2012, 09:37 AM
Talk about a tough district! Good Luck!

Blue42
10-06-2012, 10:08 AM
This will be a great district to watch anything can happen the Gobblers will get some help back this week excited to see how this kid performs.

txsportswriter
10-06-2012, 03:57 PM
Here's how I see the race ending up:
Gonzales 4-1
Giddings 4-1
La Grange 3-2
Yoakum 3-2
Smithville 1-4
Cuero 0-5
Winner of Gonzales/Giddings matchup will be crowned champ with Apaches going D1. Yoakum/La Grange winner will take third playoff spot.

1st and goal
10-06-2012, 04:02 PM
This week's games:

Here's my picks. Who you got?

Cuero @ Giddings Homefield advantage but I expect a close game decided by turnovers.
Gonzales @ Lagrange My upset pick of the week. Wish I could see this one in person.
Yoakum @ Smithville Giving the tigers a homefield advantage, and I believe the Dogs are a bit banged up.

raider red 2000
10-06-2012, 04:24 PM
There are rules in place so that teams don't run up the score like this. Districts usually have a cap of 18 positive points to help decide tie breakers.

pacman
10-06-2012, 04:57 PM
I would like to know why we are talking about running up the score?:vrycnfsd: In this district, it is going to be hard just to get a TD!:doh:

Pudlugger
10-06-2012, 08:02 PM
I would like to know why we are talking about running up the score?:vrycnfsd: In this district, it is going to be hard just to get a TD!:doh:

Yep that's about right.

1st and goal
10-10-2012, 12:25 PM
While I will only slightly concede that the Gonzales/LG matchup this week may be, by the slimmest of margins, a bit more important for the district championship, only because some may perceive that Cuero is having an off year. Remember, Cuero beat Wharton earlier and Wharton just beat Sealy, albeit both games were won by the slimmest of margins. And, Cuero might have the help of their freshly healed running back.

Anyway, you can throw everything out the window once the kickoff begins district.:1popcorn::1popcorn: Am I sounding Pudlike?

hookandladder
10-10-2012, 12:57 PM
While I will only slightly concede that the Gonzales/LG matchup this week may be, by the slimmest of margins, a bit more important for the district championship, only because some may perceive that Cuero is having an off year. Remember, Cuero beat Wharton earlier and Wharton just beat Sealy, albeit both games were won by the slimmest of margins. And, Cuero might have the help of their freshly healed running back.

Anyway, you can throw everything out the window once the kickoff begins district.:1popcorn::1popcorn: Am I sounding Pudlike?

This first week of District will tell a lot about this District , Three teams from Region 4 last year against three teams from Region 3 last year. Is it Friday yet, Pre game tailgate starting at 5:30 on Friday. Gonna need a few relaxers before these games, Good Luck to all.

29-3aFAN
10-12-2012, 11:01 PM
1st game in the books!!

Pudlugger
10-12-2012, 11:04 PM
Leps win 35-34 in a thriller.

1st and goal
10-12-2012, 11:10 PM
Yep, exciting night in D26. IMO, the Yoakum Dogs got the biggest W of the week. Upsetting the tigers in Smithville.

Giddings was expected to win by many, and did 41-28

But LG held on in a nailbiter to beat Gonzales I think 35-34. It may not have ended so closely if LG hadn't turned it over so much early on.

Pudlugger
10-13-2012, 08:06 AM
D26 at a glance:

Giddings 1-0 6-0 @ Gonzales 0-1 4-2
La Grange 1-0 5-1 hosts Smithville 0-1 3-3
Yoakum 1-0 4-2 @ Cuero 0-1 2-4

YTBulldogs
10-13-2012, 08:55 AM
Yep, exciting night in D26. IMO, the Yoakum Dogs got the biggest W of the week. Upsetting the tigers in Smithville.

Some might call it an upset, of course I didn't. I'm a homer though. LOL. Your right though, all the Harris' and Padilla's did. Funny thing, I have not seen them at a game/practice yet.:hairpunk:

Pudlugger
10-13-2012, 12:57 PM
I think the most interesting match up will be Giddings in Gonzales. Both teams have break away speed and put big numbers up on the board. I expect a high scoring game and slightly favor Giddings due to their tougher pre-district schedule. That being said I would not bet against the Apaches as anything can happen. It will likely be another close one like last night.

hookandladder
10-13-2012, 01:39 PM
Giddings - Gonzales , what a war that will be. I have to lean towards Gonzales with them at home however Giddings has the athlete's to break big plays just like Gonzales.

buff4ever
10-13-2012, 02:48 PM
Giddings - Gonzales , what a war that will be. I have to lean towards Gonzales with them at home however Giddings has the athlete's to break big plays just like Gonzales.

Also due to our speed we don't give up big plays. If you take away a few blown coverages by outside backers, we don't give up big play touchdowns.

ogg
10-13-2012, 02:52 PM
Here's how I see the race ending up:
Gonzales 4-1
Giddings 4-1
La Grange 3-2
Yoakum 3-2
Smithville 1-4
Cuero 0-5
Winner of Gonzales/Giddings matchup will be crowned champ with Apaches going D1. Yoakum/La Grange winner will take third playoff spot.

I can't see Giddings losing in district play.

Pudlugger
10-13-2012, 04:00 PM
I can't see Giddings losing in district play.

I don't see La Grange losing 2 games in the next 4 with Smithville and Yoakum at home. One maybe but not two.

hookandladder
10-13-2012, 04:09 PM
Also due to our speed we don't give up big plays. If you take away a few blown coverages by outside backers, we don't give up big play touchdowns.

I hear you about big plays but No.12 is lightning in a bottle, he had two big runs against us however I feel overall we did a good job of slowing him down. I know some might say how can you say that but of his 220 yards over a 100 came on two runs , we knew he would break one or two however we did slow him down enough to keep us in the game. They do have other threats on offense also, so you have to account for more then just him. Should be a great game for you two teams.

1st and goal
10-13-2012, 04:10 PM
The thing is, is that anyone of these teams can beat any of the others. Last Friday's games were an example of that. If Cuero had gotten a couple of timely 1st downs, the score could have been much closer in Giddings. JMO. Our defense stepped up and got some stops which was the key difference in the game.

I feel that the matchup of Giddings @ Gonzales might be the toughest yet due to similar qualities. I am skeptical that Gonzales can match Giddings speed. I just hope our young men get another week healthier.

It just won't be fair at the end of the season that a few good teams are going to have to stay home. Another district, and they'd be in the playoffs. It's gonna bite.

Pudlugger
10-13-2012, 04:54 PM
Yeah tell me about good teams staying home. The Leps are still smating from Smithville advancing to the playoff by 3 points after the Leps beat them in OT last year. This Friday we have them in our house and will get some payback.:flaming:

1st and goal
10-19-2012, 03:26 PM
Another week, another round of clashes of Titans.

Some have inferred that we have a "North/South" thang going on. Us vs. them. I know the north teams used to be a different district. I have wanted to have this district for a long time.

Rumors abound. Weather is great.

We'll know more after this week's dust settles about 10:30 or so tonight. Everyone drive safe! Pray for no major injuries and good officiating.

YTBulldogs
10-19-2012, 03:38 PM
Another week, another round of clashes of Titans.

Some have inferred that we have a "North/South" thang going on. Us vs. them. I know the north teams used to be a different district. I have wanted to have this district for a long time.

Rumors abound. Weather is great.

We'll know more after this week's dust settles about 10:30 or so tonight. Everyone drive safe! Pray for no major injuries and good officiating.

:ditto::iagree:

29-3aFAN
10-19-2012, 11:45 PM
Round 2 in the books!!

29-3aFAN
10-20-2012, 09:54 AM
So far, the majority of the games came down to the wire. Biggest spreads was Gonzales over Giddings by 20, and Giddings over Cuero by 13. All others have been tighter than a fat guy in spandex.

29-3aFAN
10-20-2012, 10:09 AM
http://www.maxpreps.com/high-schools/yoakum-bulldogs-%28yoakum,tx%29/football/hudl.htm

YTBulldogs
10-20-2012, 10:56 AM
So far, the majority of the games came down to the wire. Biggest spreads was Gonzales over Giddings by 20, and Giddings over Cuero by 13. All others have been tighter than a fat guy in spandex.

LOL. Wasn't txsportswriter in those spandex was it. :ack!:

YTBulldogs
10-20-2012, 10:58 AM
http://www.maxpreps.com/high-schools/yoakum-bulldogs-%28yoakum,tx%29/football/hudl.htm

Not sure all our current starters are in those videos 29-3aFan. Not even Smithville. Only 2 starting OL'ers played there. But, the idea is given in them I would say, of what we try to do. You'll see many players partaking in those games, and often had us fan's going hmmmmm. But, the staff knew what they were doing and what they had to accomplish in those games. We are coming along. Not there yet, but--steady improvement weekly is getting a step closer to the goal.

YTBulldogs
10-21-2012, 09:22 AM
Creme is rising to the top in D26. LG and GZ were my fav's at the start.

GZ and their dominating OL play and rushing attack. LG and their balanced offense with great depth.

1st and goal
10-21-2012, 08:59 PM
Creme is rising to the top in D26. LG and GZ were my fav's at the start.

GZ and their dominating OL play and rushing attack. LG and their balanced offense with great depth.

I know its the last game of the season, and a bunch of stuff can happen either way, but IMO it's shaping up that the Giddings/Yoakum game will be for some marbles.

YTBulldogs
10-21-2012, 10:00 PM
I know its the last game of the season, and a bunch of stuff can happen either way, but IMO it's shaping up that the Giddings/Yoakum game will be for some marbles.

Hell, they all mean marbles to us. LOL. But, that last would could be a special one indeed. Long way's off still.

Pudlugger
10-22-2012, 06:17 AM
The Leps have their work cut out for them with the next three games as do all others in D26. The atmosphere in our district is like the playoffs with each game sudden death winner take all. All six teams are playoff caliber if they were in other districts. Cuero or Smithville would win some districts down south or to the East a ways. That means every team is capable of beating the other on any given Friday. There is no room for errors. D26 is like riding the razor's edge.

1st and goal
10-22-2012, 07:44 PM
The sad thing is if, (and I mean a very big if), but IF Lagrange can pull out a win against Giddings, this board will endure 10 years worth of "I told you so's, and We're the best" compressed into the rest of the Leps season. I have to admit, Pud has been keeping his calm very well, nervously hopeful anticipation of a district playoff spot, or better yet a district championship. But lately, I've been reading a few of his posts where he's been hanging it out a bit. Noticing the slightly more abrasive side of Pud. :)

Trust me, whoever ends up on top of this district, I will back wholeheartedly (unless we meet again in playoffs), as far as they can go. Unless they have some sort of a "Rocket" type fan go crazy at a game or on board here. :)

Pudlugger
10-22-2012, 09:06 PM
This is a huge game in a huge rivalry. Excuse me if I step on some toes but it has been 10 years for the Leps to have bragging rights in this series so yes if we do win I will be doing some celebrating on the board. If we lose I'll make no excuses and go on to the next game and look forward to the next season. That being said I think I have been pretty gracious in victory and accepting of defeat. I get my back up at times I'll admit it but I will defend the Leps every time. I respect Giddings as my posts have always reflected that. I make no excuses for our failure to win since 2002. This year we have a great team and the planets seem to be in proper alignment for a win so I've got a touch of buck fever I guess. Go Leps!

29-3aFAN
10-25-2012, 03:22 PM
By Mike Forman

As of Thursday, October 25, 2012

Share this Email, Facebook, Twitter

The stakes couldn't have been higher for Gonzales against unbeaten and No. 7 Giddings.

The Apaches had lost their first District 26-3A game and another loss would have put a damper on their playoff chances.

Running back Cecil Johnson made sure Gonzales avoided the scenario.

Johnson rushed for 259 yards and five touchdowns to lead the Apaches to a 43-23 win and was selected as the Class 3A Built Ford Tough Texas High School Football Player of the Week.

The 5-foot-8, 160-pound running back had three touchdown runs in the first quarter and after the Buffaloes had pulled within seven points, had touchdown runs of 19 and 26 yards in the fourth quarter to seal the win.

"Cecil is a tremendously versatile player," said Gonzales coach Ricky Lock. "He'll line up in the slot, take a direct snap in a shotgun formation, and play cornerback. He has a dynamic personality and is well-liked around school. He's a big part of our game plan."

Johnson rushed for over 1,700 yards last season and earned honorable-mention all-state honors.

He has rushed for an area-leading 1,392 yards and 18 touchdowns this season and has six games with over 200 yards rushing.

29-3aFAN
10-25-2012, 03:26 PM
By Mike Forman

Former Cuero coach Buster Gilbreth is honored during halftime Friday.
Buster Gilbreth career highlights

• Years as head coach: 36

• Schools: Poteet, Cotulla, San Antonio Kennedy, Cuero, Houston North Shore, Pasadena Dobie, Fort Bend Clements

• Record: 224-92-3

Years as Cuero coach: 10

• Record: 107-22-3

• State Finals: 1970, 1973, 1974, 1975

• State Championships: 1973, 1974

Honors: Texas High School Coaches Association Hall of Honor, Texas Sports Hall of Fame, Gobbler Hall of Fame
Video

CUERO - Buster Gilbreth lives very much in the present, but the past never seems far behind.

Gilbreth visited the Cuero High School cafetorium for the first time Friday, but the familiar site of Gobbler Stadium was within his view.

As he greeted former players and friends, it was clear where his thoughts were focused.

"It's the most wonderful thing in the world," Gilbreth said. "The only bad thing is they change and then you hug them and there they are. Those faces come right back at you."

Gilbreth is 82 and over three decades have passed since he coached his final football game at Cuero.

But the Cuero Education Foundation had no trouble deciding to establish an Excellence in Education Grant in his name.

Gilbreth virtually put Cuero on the map. The Smiley native coached the Gobblers from 1969 through 1979. He compiled a 107-22-3 record and made nine playoff appearances in his 11 seasons at a time when only one team from each district advanced to postseason play.

Gilbreth led Cuero to four state final appearances and two state championships. The Gobblers won 44 consecutive games - 26 of them by shutout - from 1973 to 1975, which is still the third-longest winning streak in state history.

"It was the best time of my life," said Gilbreth, who retired from a 36-year coaching career after the 1990 season with a 224-92-3 record and lives in San Antonio with his wife, Frances.

"I just had some wonderful kids," he said. "I had some dedicated kids and we pushed them hard and they responded. I just had a wonderful coaching staff. They were dedicated people with a bunch of dedicated kids and it just turned out good for us."

Ben Colwell worked in education for most of his life before retiring as the superintendent of the Alvarado school district.

But Colwell's fondest memories come from the years he spent on Gilbreth's staff in Cuero.

"It was probably the best time in my profession in education," he said. "Buster was just a super guy to work for. He let you do what you wanted to do or needed to do, but he gave you direction and oversight."

The Gobblers made the playoffs in Gilbreth's second season after finishing in a three-way tie for first and winning a series of coin flips before advancing to the state final.

"Your star players are always going to be your star players," said Henry Sheppard, a member of the 1970 team, who went on to play at SMU and in the NFL for the Cleveland Browns and Oakland Raiders. "What differentiates coaching is being able to get your 'C' players to play like 'B' players and your 'B' players to play like 'A' players.

"That's tied back into the fundamentals he taught. If you're fundamentally sound even if somebody may be a better athlete or playing on a better team, if they're not fundamentally sound it gives you an advantage."

Gilbreth admits he was tough on his players, but was thankful for the support of the school district, parents and community.

"The offseason program was very rough," he said. "We brought them up and we watched them and we tried to find a place where they could play. We put them in that place and then we sold them on the idea that they could be real good in that place. Our kids at that time did what we asked them to do and I asked them to do a lot."

Alan McWhorter started in Gilbreth's program in the seventh grade and went on to become the starting quarterback on the 1973 and 1974 state championship teams.

"He installed his own system and you were expected to follow it," McWhorter said. "It wasn't cruel, it wasn't harsh, but it was very difficult. The ones who couldn't hang left. So by the time we got to my freshman year we lost one game while I was in high school while I was on the JV."

Gilbreth has watched the game change over the years, but doubts he would do anything differently.

"The passing game is what they seem to thrive on now," Gilbreth said. "We threw the ball to the halfback and he ran with it. If I had to go back into coaching, I'd start with the defense and try to go back to running the ball."

Gilbreth and his wife keep busy by traveling and spending time with their three daughters and six grandchildren.

But he was thankful for the opportunity to revisit the past while helping to brighten the future of education in Cuero.

"It's the most wonderful thing Cuero could do for somebody," Gilbreth said. "I'm just so appreciative of the people of Cuero. This is a wonderful thing. Who would ever expect it. I wish my momma and daddy were alive so they could say, 'Something good happened to that boy.'"

buff4ever
10-25-2012, 03:27 PM
By Mike Forman

The stakes couldn't have been higher for Gonzales against unbeaten and No. 7 Giddings.

The Apaches had lost their first District 26-3A game and another loss would have put a damper on their playoff chances.

Running back Cecil Johnson made sure Gonzales avoided the scenario.

Johnson rushed for 259 yards and five touchdowns to lead the Apaches to a 43-23 win and was selected as the Class 3A Built Ford Tough Texas High School Football Player of the Week.

The 5-foot-8, 160-pound running back had three touchdown runs in the first quarter and after the Buffaloes had pulled within seven points, had touchdown runs of 19 and 26 yards in the fourth quarter to seal the win.

"Cecil is a tremendously versatile player," said Gonzales coach Ricky Lock. "He'll line up in the slot, take a direct snap in a shotgun formation, and play cornerback. He has a dynamic personality and is well-liked around school. He's a big part of our game plan."

Johnson rushed for over 1,700 yards last season and earned honorable-mention all-state honors.

He has rushed for an area-leading 1,392 yards and 18 touchdowns this season and has six games with over 200 yards rushing.

He is a heck of an athlete.

Pudlugger
10-25-2012, 05:21 PM
Gonzales has a lot of talent beyond their premier running back. Their o line deserves a lot of credit as does their defense. Particularly their front 4 and safety Lopez. Gonzales will make the playoffs and give El Campo a run for their money.

1st and goal
10-25-2012, 09:33 PM
#32 is a powerhouse of a running back.

pacman
10-25-2012, 10:36 PM
#32 is a powerhouse of a running back.

Yea, that is D.J.Gonzales. He runs very hard.

YTBulldogs
10-26-2012, 09:43 AM
Gonzales has a lot of talent beyond their premier running back. Their o line deserves a lot of credit as does their defense. Particularly their front 4 and safety Lopez. Gonzales will make the playoffs and give El Campo a run for their money.

Totally agree. OL,DL's and RB best we've faced. On video, they are dominating their opponent.

buff4ever
10-26-2012, 09:53 AM
Totally agree. OL,DL's and RB best we've faced. On video, they are dominating their opponent.

I give a lot of credit to Gonzales's OL, but the DL is not as impressive. The line backers and secondary play better than their DL. In our game with them it was the same for both teams except we had a couple turnovers that killed drives and had a couple turnovers overturned on us, but both teams were able to run freely through the line and then had good enough or fast enough secondary players to not allow big plays. Both teams could run for 5 - 8, but seldom more than 10. The biggest play, that Gonzales might have had in one play was Cecil's 26 yard td to close the game after it was already over. I think our d had finally let up and knew it was a lost cause. Lot of rant to make one point, but I guess what I am saying is that Gonzales's DL isn't all that, their secondary and LB's make the plays.

But Gonzales's OL is very good. Best we had faced as an OL this year IMO.

29-3aFAN
10-26-2012, 11:39 PM

It is looking that way my friend. Possibly for the 3rd spot.

29-3aFAN
10-26-2012, 11:40 PM
Round 3 in the books!!!

29-3aFAN
10-30-2012, 01:25 PM
Bump!! Knocking the dust off this thread.

29-3aFAN
10-30-2012, 02:07 PM
Current district standings are,

LG 3-0
GZ 2-1
Yoakum 2-1
Giddings 1-2
Cuero 1-2
SV 0-3

29-3aFAN
10-30-2012, 02:23 PM
YOAKUM - Everybody in the stands Friday night knew how good Cecil Johnson was. If they didn't, they learned very quickly.

Johnson kept running the ball like he has all season to lead Gonzales to a 48-20 victory over Yoakum and record his seventh consecutive game of 200 rushing yards or more. Johnson currently leads the Crossroads area in rushing with 1,728 yards and 23 touchdowns after Friday night.

"The line is the big key for us on everything we do on offense," Johnson said after the game. "The holes were there and I was hitting them. Everything just seemed to go good rushing-wise and on offense."

In the first half alone, Johnson had 20 carries for 197 yards and three touchdowns. He finished the night with 336 yards on 35 carries and five touchdowns.

"I didn't know that. All I knew was he was having a good night," Gonzales head coach Ricky Lock said. "Offensive line was doing an outstanding job, as well as the blockers on the edge. The field was not very good tonight, it was wet and muddy, so it's the not the perfect track for him. But we established our blocks at the line of scrimmage and ran the ball."

The Apaches' defense, who ranks first in district 26-3A with just 194.9 yards allowed per game, held Yoakum's potent offensive attack to just 267 yards of total offense.

"They have some weapons over here," Lock said. "We worked hard against midline and veer this week, but not so much on the jet sweep and that kind of hurt us tonight. Our defense played really well tonight."

Johnson set the tone early for the Apaches, running the ball nine times on the opening drive. He capped off the 12-play drive with a 10 yard touchdown run. Two possessions later, and with the score tied at 7-7, Johnson found the end zone on a busted play that became a 53 yard run off of a toss.

"It was actually a busted play," Johnson said. "He (Matthew Hillman) spun out the wrong way and he just pitched to me. Luckily, there happened to be a hole there and I just hit it."

The senior running back kept up his electrifying first half late in the second quarter when, on fourth and two, Johnson broke through the line and raced to a 40 yard touchdown.

The Apaches' rushing attack opened the door for their passing attack with quarterback Matthew Hillman completing just three passes, but tallied 138 yards and two touchdowns.

The first score through the air for Hillman came in the third quarter, when he faked the hand off to Johnson, rolled to his right and found Francisco Diaz for the 8 yard score. The second passing touchdown came on the next possession, less than three minutes later, when Darrance James got behind Yoakum's secondary and ran for the 60 yard touchdown.

"We knew the corner routes would work if we got behind them," Lock said. "We went to it twice and it was wide open."

Johnson scored two more times in the fourth quarter, on runs of 2 and 4 yards, to cap off Gonzales's 48-20 victory.

Yoakum did manage to keep things close in the first half, trailing by just seven points at the intermission.

Sophomore Tre'vontae Hights scored the first touchdown of the night for Yoakum with a 34 yard pass to Keith Ratley and fourth and seven early in the second quarter. Less than five minutes later, Blake McCracken found the end zone on a jet sweep to the left from 18 yards out that made the score 13-13.

"We were just trying to do what we normally do," Yoakum head coach Brent Kornegay said. "If we thought we could move the ball passing, we passed. I don't know the stats, but we were able to move the ball."

Gonzales would respond with a five-play drive that ended with Johnson's 40 yard touchdown run on fourth and two.

Johnson's 336 rushing yards was the most he's ran for in his career, but that isn't what kept his smile going.

"They're a long time rival who we've played since junior high," Johnson said. "We can say we won the last time we played them."

Pudlugger
10-30-2012, 05:04 PM
Yes and now Yoakum will face the La Grange defense that held Gonzales to 34 points and put up 35. Our defense is playing lights out now and will not give up more than 21 against Yoakum. Can Yoakum hold LG to under 21? This game will hinge on the defense.

YTBulldogs
10-30-2012, 06:38 PM
Can we win vs. LG, of course. Depends which team arrives and their mind status when they step off the bus. Be nice to win this one, but--IMO it's all about the Giddings game for us to get in the playoffs.

Pudlugger
10-30-2012, 06:42 PM
Looking at the poll results sure is interesting now isn't it YT?

Smithville and Giddings underachievers and Yoakum overachiever?

YTBulldogs
10-30-2012, 07:47 PM
I think our best team in a while will be next few years. This year's team is good, but--I can see a great team forming out of the current 9th, 10th, 11th graders.

Pudlugger
10-31-2012, 06:55 AM
I think our best team in a while will be next few years. This year's team is good, but--I can see a great team forming out of the current 9th, 10th, 11th graders.

Yall grow a bunch of football players out your way YT. I'm certain the future will be bright. The Leps will be as good next year with 15 starters coming back and some fine jv and freshman move ups. Hopefully we'll get a good run in the Playoffs to add experience.

YTBulldogs
10-31-2012, 08:29 AM
Yall grow a bunch of football players out your way YT. I'm certain the future will be bright. The Leps will be as good next year with 15 starters coming back and some fine jv and freshman move ups. Hopefully we'll get a good run in the Playoffs to add experience.

You will Pud. That is a solid club. And yes, nothing can beat playoff experience. That is why WT is so good IMO, the playoff experience they garner often.

44INAROW
10-31-2012, 08:59 AM
This is a huge game in a huge rivalry. Excuse me if I step on some toes but it has been 10 years for the Leps to have bragging rights in this series so yes if we do win I will be doing some celebrating on the board. If we lose I'll make no excuses and go on to the next game and look forward to the next season. That being said I think I have been pretty gracious in victory and accepting of defeat. I get my back up at times I'll admit it but I will defend the Leps every time. I respect Giddings as my posts have always reflected that. I make no excuses for our failure to win since 2002. This year we have a great team and the planets seem to be in proper alignment for a win so I've got a touch of buck fever I guess. Go Leps!
Pud - you know, the HC is married to a Cuero girl :)

YTBulldogs
10-31-2012, 09:21 AM

44, them Cuero girls often provides success in life. Just something about them.;)

hookandladder
10-31-2012, 02:23 PM

Yes but she love's her Purple and Gold these days, great family.

29-3aFAN
11-02-2012, 10:17 PM

LG 4-0
GZ 2-2
Yoakum 2-2
Cuero 2-2
SV 1-3
Giddings 1-3

WOW!!! La Grange is the soul survivor with the green light to the playoffs.

banderafan
11-02-2012, 10:54 PM

LG 4-0
GZ 2-2
Yoakum 2-2
Cuero 2-2
SV 1-3
Giddings 1-3

WOW!!! La Grange is the soul survivor with the green light to the playoffs.

Wow, Just like 8-3A , a team picked by Dave Campbell TF to finish 4th in the district will be district champs.

1st and goal
11-02-2012, 11:00 PM
Crazy yes.
Cuero whips Gonzales, Smithville beats Giddings, and LG hangs on for another nailbiter.
LG is IN! Congrats Leps. Congrats Cuero. Congrats Smithville.

Next week,
Giddings @ Yoakum
LG @ Cuero
Gonzales @ Smithville

I tried to come up with all the possible scenarios, but I'm too tired to think. So, maybe later.

hookandladder
11-02-2012, 11:53 PM
Wow, Just like 8-3A , a team picked by Dave Campbell TF to finish 4th in the district will be district champs.

How right you are, Distrcit Champs Baby. Go LEPS.

Old Green
11-03-2012, 07:21 AM
Crazy yes.
Cuero whips Gonzales, Smithville beats Giddings, and LG hangs on for another nailbiter.
LG is IN! Congrats Leps. Congrats Cuero. Congrats Smithville.

Next week,
Giddings @ Yoakum
LG @ Cuero
Gonzales @ Smithville

I tried to come up with all the possible scenarios, but I'm too tired to think. So, maybe later.D26 is turning out to be a fun district. So much parity between the teams.

rb585
11-03-2012, 08:27 AM
What the heck has happened to Giddings?

YTBulldogs
11-03-2012, 12:03 PM
I would not want to play a team that makes the playoffs out of D26.

1st and goal
11-04-2012, 10:10 AM
As posted elsewhere, it may end up crazy.
If LG, SV & Giddings win, there will be LG alone at the top 5-0. Then the rest at 2-3. What a slugfest. I'll let someone in the know post point differentials or whatever permutations can happen.

Standings as of now.
LG 4-0
GZ 2-2
Yoakum 2-2
Cuero 2-2
SV 1-3
Giddings 1-3

This week, here's my initial thoughts.
Giddings @ Yoakum (tough game down on the hardpack/mud against the Bulldogs, I say a coin flip, which Buffs team will show up)
LG @ Cuero (I believe the Gobblers may win this one, it will be hard for LG to keep up the intensity because they don't have to win)
Gonzales @ Smithville (If Lopez hurt, SV can keep up the momentum of the win in Giddings, it will take their best game.)

lbjacj
11-04-2012, 05:45 PM
So if it ends like this who goes and who misses the playoffs?
LG 5-0
GZ 2-3
Yoakum 2-3
Cuero 2-3
SV 2-3
Giddings 2-3

rb585
11-04-2012, 05:58 PM
So if it ends like this who goes and who misses the playoffs?
LG 5-0
GZ 2-3
Yoakum 2-3
Cuero 2-3
SV 2-3
Giddings 2-3

All five of those teams would be 2-2 against each other, so that would either be settled by net points or a coin-flipping tournament.

lbjacj
11-04-2012, 06:00 PM
All five of those teams would be 2-2 against each other, so that would either be settled by net points or a coin-flipping tournament.

I like that. A coin flippin tourney!

hookandladder
11-04-2012, 08:07 PM

I know if it comes down to 3 teams like last year, it came down to points. This year it could be 4 teams so not sure how that would be handle, all I know is I am glad we took care of business so it does not really matter to me. I am going to say Gonzales as long as the Diesel plays will nail dwon the 2 spot, after that I do feel Yoakum will beat Giddings. As long as we beat Cuero , I would assume Yoakum would take the 3rd spot. Crazy ending to a very competitive District and it could very well end up that the predicted 4,5 and 6 teams in District go 1,2 and 3. Would that be something or what, that would put us against EC first round.

lbjacj
11-04-2012, 10:59 PM
Posted by KVUE's Mike Barnes...

KVUE's Friday Football Fever
‎26-3A update: LaGrange is in at 4-0.
Cuero, Gonzales, and Yoakum are 2-2. Giddings and Smithville are 1-3.
But if it comes down to a 3-way, 4-way, or 5-way tie... it's total points in match-ups, with 18 points (+/-) max.
If Gonzales, Giddings, and LaGrange win... Gonzales gets 2nd and Giddings wins the tie breaker for 3rd.
Should Cuero, Yoakum and Gonzales win... there's a 3-way tie for 2nd. My math shows Cuero and Gonzales go.
If there's a 5-way tie.... Giddings, Smithville and LaGrange win... then it will depend on the scores on Friday. Gonzales and Cuero have early edge at +15 and +18, but will drop with losses. Smithville is -7, but will go up with a win as will Giddings -18. Yoakum has no chance, by my math, in a 5 way tie.

Pudlugger
11-05-2012, 08:17 AM
Some interesting scenarios here. If LG Yoakum and Smithville win then we have a tie breaker between GZ and SV. If SV wins on head to head or points the Leps go D1. Getting a shot at the big dog EC in round one.:thinking:

YTBulldogs
11-05-2012, 10:14 AM
As long as we beat Cuero , I would assume Yoakum would take the 3rd spot.

Yes Hook, that's what I'm counting on. :)

29-3aFAN
11-09-2012, 01:00 PM
Last and final round tonight of this tough district. My predictions,
La Grange by 3
Yoakum by 1
Gonzales by 10

buff4ever
11-09-2012, 01:21 PM
Last and final round tonight of this tough district. My predictions,
La Grange by 3
Yoakum by 1
Gonzales by 10

I will go with
LG by 13
Giddings By 6
Gonzales by 14

29-3aFAN
11-09-2012, 10:01 PM
At the half, yoakum 21 giddings 0, la grange 3 cuero 14, Gonzales 0 smithville 9.

44INAROW
11-09-2012, 10:32 PM
Gobblers 21 LaGrange 10. 9 mins left.

29-3aFAN
11-09-2012, 11:08 PM
Yoakum 35 Giddings 14

crabman
11-09-2012, 11:37 PM
The teams that DCTF picked 4-5-6 went 1-2-3 in district. The teams picked 1-2-3 are playing basketball on Monday.

Football fan
11-09-2012, 11:54 PM
Lol. La Grange wins the district and is rewarded by getting to play El Campo.

YTBulldogs
11-09-2012, 11:59 PM
Wow, thank you Smithville. Heard the Diesel got chunked out of the game too. Best teams from D26 move on like I said. Appears we have Wharton, Cuero to face Bellville and the mighty Leps, have El Campo. Good luck. What a night!!!! Yes, we were picked last at season's start in some polls, but---kid's had that will and it all worked out in the end. I see us making a real run.

Clem, way to go over in Cuero. Not how you start, but--how ya finish, huh? Go Gobblers.

Roughneck93
11-10-2012, 12:03 AM
Wow, thank you Smithville. Heard the Diesel got chunked out of the game too. Best teams from D26 move on like I said. Appears we have Wharton, Cuero to face Bellville and the mighty Leps, have El Campo. Good luck. What a night!!!! Yes, we were picked last at season's start in some polls, but---kid's had that will and it all worked out in the end. I see us making a real run.

Clem, way to go over in Cuero. Not how you start, but--how ya finish, huh? Go Gobblers.

Congrats YT, good luck next week.

YTBulldogs
11-10-2012, 12:06 AM
Congrats YT, good luck next week.

Thanks Roughneck, it was so exciting as the fan's stayed and listened to the final 7 minutes of the Smithville/GZ game all out on the field. And, thanks to Giddings for sticking around to listen as well, and being good sports and wishing us well after the Smithville game ended. Class act. Good luck to ya'll too.

rb585
11-10-2012, 12:28 AM
Congrats to Yoakum and Cuero! Texas high school football is better with the Gobblers in the playoffs!

Roughneck93
11-10-2012, 12:30 AM
Thanks Roughneck, it was so exciting as the fan's stayed and listened to the final 7 minutes of the Smithville/GZ game all out on the field. And, thanks to Giddings for sticking around to listen as well, and being good sports and wishing us well after the Smithville game ended. Class act. Good luck to ya'll too.

Thanks... :2thumbsup

lbjacj
11-10-2012, 12:32 AM
Great job Bulldogs! Who would have thought that Giddings and Gonzales would miss the playoffs!

YTBulldogs
11-10-2012, 12:38 AM
Great job Bulldogs! Who would have thought that Giddings and Gonzales would miss the playoffs!

Amazing huh? That's why they play the games. D26 was a battle each week. Playoff teams been playing a playoff type game each week.

Pudlugger
11-10-2012, 12:54 AM

Congratulations to the Bulldogs, Gobblers and Tigers for bringing it tonight. The Yoakum Wharton game will be a barn burner and I like the Bulldogs chances. The Bellville Cuero game will be another classic match up and if the Gobblers show up like they have the past three weeks well Bellville get ready for a battle. Now my Leps play the mighty Rice Birds. What can I say they are the greatest team to come out of 3a Region 4 in some time. Our coaches better get together and think up some fancy plays and our players better say their prayers because they are going to be huge underdogs next week. Nobody will pick the Leps over the Rice Birds they are just too darn good and can't be beat. So air up the basketballs Leps cause the Rice Birds are going to pee in your cornflakes next week.:eek::eek::kiss:;)

YTBulldogs
11-10-2012, 12:57 AM
Congratulations to the Bulldogs, Gobblers and Tigers for bringing it tonight. The Yoakum Wharton game will be a barn burner and I like the Bulldogs chances. The Bellville Cuero game will be another classic match up and if the Gobblers show up like they have the past three weeks well Bellville get ready for a battle. Now my Leps play the mighty Rice Birds. What can I say they are the greatest team to come out of 3a Region 4 in some time. Our coaches better get together and think up some fancy plays and our players better say their prayers because they are going to be huge underdogs next week. Nobody will pick the Leps over the Rice Birds they are just too darn good and can't be beat. So air up the basketballs Leps cause the Rice Birds are going to pee in your cornflakes next week.:eek::eek::kiss:;)

I give LG a chance after the district games you just finished up.

Pudlugger
11-10-2012, 01:05 AM
I give LG a chance after the district games you just finished up.

Well it's like this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2s1MspmfEwg

Old Green
11-10-2012, 09:09 PM
Well it's like this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2s1MspmfEwgD26 has been a fun district so far. The parity among teams is great. No team in the district with a losing record.

1st and goal
11-10-2012, 09:19 PM
What a tumultuous season. Yes, the teams expected to be on top are staying home.

Good luck to the Leps, dogs and Gobblers in the playoffs.

Tejastrue
11-10-2012, 09:26 PM
What a tumultuous season. Yes, the teams expected to be on top are staying home.

Good luck to the Leps, dogs and Gobblers in the playoffs.

Did you guys lose a lot of your starting OL to injury? It's hard to believe how that offense struggled down the stretch.

1st and goal
11-10-2012, 09:40 PM
The Buffs had to play some players that had not gotten much time earlier in the season. We were a bit light in the trenches compared to past seasons. We'll be back.