PDA

View Full Version : Cuero @ Giddings

YTBulldogs
10-06-2012, 07:35 AM
District opener for both. Good luck to both.

crabman
10-06-2012, 08:50 AM
Finally get to see D'Anthony Hopkins. Nobody has seen him since his Freshman year last year. Torn meniscus during two-a-days. They wanted to make absolutely sure he was healthy. He has looked ready for 2-3 weeks to me. I see him running up and down the bleachers at the sub-varsity games. Nothing like a little game action to test out the knee. This off week just gave him even more healing time. I hope he can help us with the run game. I really hope he can catch a pass. We will see. Even with him at full strength we are not in Gidding's class. Not this year. We will get there but this one will be tough. Stranger things have happened.

YTBulldogs
10-06-2012, 09:01 AM
Finally get to see D'Anthony Hopkins. Nobody has seen him since his Freshman year last year. Torn meniscus during two-a-days. They wanted to make absolutely sure he was healthy. He has looked ready for 2-3 weeks to me. I see him running up and down the bleachers at the sub-varsity games. Nothing like a little game action to test out the knee. This off week just gave him even more healing time. I hope he can help us with the run game. I really hope he can catch a pass. We will see. Even with him at full strength we are not in Gidding's class. Not this year. We will get there but this one will be tough. Stranger things have happened.

DH is a solid RB and has ton's of potential ahead of him Crabman. Good luck, hope he stay's healthy for the district playoff dash? All district teams, are capable to beat any other district team IMO. Don't sale the Gob's short against Giddings. Yes, the Buffalo's are for sure more talented than the Gobblers this season, but--Cuero has the capability to upset them on the road IMO.

Pudlugger
10-06-2012, 09:16 AM
I'm getting vibes for an upset. Cuero by a td.

Blue42
10-06-2012, 10:30 AM
D'Anthony carried the ball about 3 times in Lockhart for about 110 yrds. Having him back on "D" will also help.

crabman
10-06-2012, 01:40 PM
I completely forgot about the Lockhart scrimmage. First carry 80 yards to the house. We will see. You know I pull for the Gobblers big time. I have only missed one Booster Club meeting this year.

I have said it before on here but to those of you who don't know, our Booster Club is about 75% people who do not have kids in the program any more. It is a big deal. To miss Booster Club is sacrilege.

We will see come Friday night. Nothing would make me happier than to be 1-0 in District. My kids are coming home from OK City so I will not be making the road trip. Haven't seen them in quite a while. I will have to rely on the radio crew of Joe and Grandpa.

txsportswriter
10-06-2012, 03:43 PM
Too much Buffaloes in this one. I say Giddings by 3 TDs, 41-20.

1st and goal
10-06-2012, 04:06 PM
I completely forgot about the Lockhart scrimmage. First carry 80 yards to the house. We will see. You know I pull for the Gobblers big time. I have only missed one Booster Club meeting this year.

I have said it before on here but to those of you who don't know, our Booster Club is about 75% people who do not have kids in the program any more. It is a big deal. To miss Booster Club is sacrilege.

We will see come Friday night. Nothing would make me happier than to be 1-0 in District. My kids are coming home from OK City so I will not be making the road trip. Haven't seen them in quite a while. I will have to rely on the radio crew of Joe and Grandpa.

Crabman, time your kids' visit in Giddings (it's on the way down) and come to the game!

1stnurseryman
10-06-2012, 04:20 PM
Cuero will defiantly b the underdog in this game... Don't know a lot about Giddings besides that they keep beating some pretty good teams.. What type of offense do y'all run? How has yall's D been against run and throw? Couldnt find any stats on line..I know for Cuero to even b in this game they must play a near perfect game.

WILDGOBBLERCAT
10-08-2012, 07:17 AM
Giddings will be tough and we'll need some breaks to pull off the upset.

It will definitely be interesting to see how the RB Hopkins reintroduces himself, cause he's a special talent.

If the August intrasquad scrimmage was any indication, he should also be a tremendous upgrade for our D. He looked to be extremely physical with the speed and size to "bring the wood" at the safety spot, nearly killing a WR IIRC.

We'll see, Go Mean Green!

Gsquared
10-08-2012, 07:28 AM
I'll be in Giddings for this one, cant wait!

hookandladder
10-08-2012, 08:33 AM
With Giddings defense giving up 40 points to Columbus and 20 points to Caldwell I am seeing this game much closer then some think, I say Giddings still wins at home but it could very well be another close one for Giddings.

rojosgirl
10-08-2012, 09:25 AM
Good Luck to the Gobblers as they begin play in their new district. We're hungry for another win. Let's see what happens. GO-MEAN-GREEN!:clap:

BigGreen61
10-08-2012, 12:38 PM
I'm getting vibes for an upset. Cuero by a td.
I agree Pud Iam feeling a upset myself. The vibe Iam getting from the kids is they won't be denied this friday. They will show u what no talent will do to u when u sleep on cuero. By the way everybody. Is 0-0.

buff4ever
10-08-2012, 01:39 PM
I agree Pud Iam feeling a upset myself. The vibe Iam getting from the kids is they won't be denied this friday. They will show u what no talent will do to u when u sleep on cuero. By the way everybody. Is 0-0.

I am doubting that the coaching staff or kids will be sleeping on Cuero in the district opener. They know as well as anybody that knows anything, the 5-0 to this point means nothing vs. the next 5 games. As tough as this district is probably going to be, no one wants to slip in the first week.

buff4ever
10-09-2012, 01:24 PM
.... anyone coming early to eat from cuero?

hookandladder
10-09-2012, 01:33 PM
.... anyone coming early to eat from cuero?

If so stop off at Murphy's, Steaks are great and the Longnecks are cold.

1st and goal
10-09-2012, 01:36 PM
if so stop off at murphy's, steaks are great and the longnecks are cold.

lol!

Old Green
10-09-2012, 01:53 PM
.... anyone coming early to eat from cuero?I'm planning on coming. Don't know If I'll eat, but maybe a drink.

buff4ever
10-09-2012, 02:33 PM
I'm planning on coming. Don't know If I'll eat, but maybe a drink.

What, does the drink last longer if you don't eat?

I understand.:)

BigGreen61
10-09-2012, 04:52 PM
Anybody know what time the Giddings City Market closes on fridays?

Blue42
10-09-2012, 05:42 PM
All kidding aside where is a good place to eat. The last time I spent any time in Giddings I was a kid. I remember this place that served a chicken fried steak that hung over the plate is it still around.

Buff42
10-09-2012, 08:27 PM
City Meat Market serves lunch and e'll be sold out by 1:00. If you like Chinese even a little bit, Hunan's in the Walmart shopping center is great.

1st and goal
10-09-2012, 08:49 PM
Eating prospects are in kind of sad "state" around here. Even McDonalds is closed for a full renovation.

Reba's Pizza is really good if you have the time to sit down and eat (after they bake it). It is just 2 blocks east of 77/290 intersection on the right. Gourmet pizza.

Heard some good stuff lately about Downtown restaurant which is just down from the meat market.

Really good BBQ at Lost Pines BBQ about 1/2 mile on east 290 (from 77 intersection) on the right.

Like Buf42 said, Hunan's has good Chinese food in front of Walmart parking lot.

Whataburger is really good.

There is a new diner (where Mel's used to be). Haven't tried it yet, but is just 3 blocks east of 77/290 intersection on the left.

Having said all this, If you make the time for it, I recommend Murphy's in Winchester Texas. Get the filet or chicken fried steak and a cold Ziegenboch on tap. Better give yourself AT LEAST AN HOUR AND A HALF, plus 30 more minutes to get to the stadium. Not many places you can get a big filet steak meal for about $15.

The best chicken fried steak is at a really nice steakhouse 20 minutes east of Giddings in Carmine called JW's. It is worth the drive. Steaks are higher than Murphy's but still less than big city prices. I love the construction. Big timbers and long leaf pine walls. The owner spent a lot on nice wood.

Blue42
10-09-2012, 08:51 PM
Thanks I love good Chinese food as long as the veggies are fresh and the meat is something I recognize.

44INAROW
10-09-2012, 09:04 PM
Mr44 and I made a quick trip thru Giddings about a month ago on a Saturday afternoon and we ate at the Downtown Cafe, couple doors from City Market. It was delicious!!!!

Gsquared
10-10-2012, 07:54 AM
Mr44 and I made a quick trip thru Giddings about a month ago on a Saturday afternoon and we ate at the Downtown Cafe, couple doors from City Market. It was delicious!!!!

Will I see you in Giddings Friday night FOFO?

1st and goal
10-10-2012, 08:03 AM
Will I see you in Giddings Friday night FOFO?

FOFO? For our flagrant occurence?????
:)

buff4ever
10-10-2012, 08:07 AM
Downtown restaraunt is very good. Now, after all of 1st and goals efforts, he failed to mention one of the must be specialties in Giddings. We have like 6 or 7 Mexican restaraunts. I would reccomend if you want Mexican, either Los Patrones, El Charro T, or Jaliscos. Hunans is very good if you like Chinese food, I really like it at Hunans. Rebas is very good if you wanted Pizza or sandwiches and soup.

Gsquared
10-10-2012, 08:12 AM
FOFO? For our flagrant occurence?????
:)

Yes sir!!! Im gonna leave DFW area early and make a stop in Lockhart first then to Giddings!

1st and goal
10-10-2012, 08:13 AM
Downtown restaraunt is very good. Now, after all of 1st and goals efforts, he failed to mention one of the must be specialties in Giddings. We have like 6 or 7 Mexican restaraunts. I would reccomend if you want Mexican, either Los Patrones, El Charro T, or Jaliscos. Hunans is very good if you like Chinese food, I really like it at Hunans. Rebas is very good if you wanted Pizza or sandwiches and soup.

You rarely see stray dogs in Giddings either...:) I guess I like El Charro T the best IMO...

1 more, we have THE BEST Subway sandwich shop in Texas. Clean and well managed. In front of Walmart too.

buff4ever
10-10-2012, 08:21 AM
You one upped me on that one 1st and goal, but now I got another for you. We have a fairly new place on 290 headed west on the edge of down. Great hot wings, but no girls walking around in orange underpands and a tight white shirt with an owl on it.

1st and goal
10-10-2012, 08:30 AM
The best place in town to eat, if you have enough clout, is at Buff4ever's when he has his backyard grill going on with some backstrap venison.

Pudlugger
10-10-2012, 08:43 AM
Okay now that everyone knows where to eat in Giddings I'd like to comment on the game. Giddings has won all 5 games 3 of which were against teams ranked(at the time) in the top 25. The Buffs have the horsepower(buffalo power?) to put up plenty of points but their defense has given up way too many points to say that they can't be beaten by a team on the rise like Cuero. The Gobblers beat another excellent athletic team in Wharton on opening night so we know there is some horsepower under the Cuero hood. This game will be difficult for Giddings to win simply because Cuero has more to prove and really has nothing to lose and everything to gain. The tendency is to play up in this circumstance for the underdog while the favored team tends to play down(e.g giving up 40 to Columbus and 22 to Caldwell). If that is the case Friday we could see an upset. This game has huge ramifications for the D25 race and revealing as to how the district will shake out.

hookandladder
10-10-2012, 08:45 AM
Yes sir!!! Im gonna leave DFW area early and make a stop in Lockhart first then to Giddings!

Damn, you better leave early if you going thru Austin to Lockhart and then back to Giddings. You better hit the toll roads or it will not be pretty going thru Austin, Good Luck with that.

Gsquared
10-10-2012, 09:12 AM
Damn, you better leave early if you going thru Austin to Lockhart and then back to Giddings. You better hit the toll roads or it will not be pretty going thru Austin, Good Luck with that.

I did it a few years ago, I just make sure I leave mucho early

buff4ever
10-10-2012, 09:54 AM
Okay now that everyone knows where to eat in Giddings I'd like to comment on the game. Giddings has won all 5 games 3 of which were against teams ranked(at the time) in the top 25. The Buffs have the horsepower(buffalo power?) to put up plenty of points but their defense has given up way too many points to say that they can't be beaten by a team on the rise like Cuero. The Gobblers beat another excellent athletic team in Wharton on opening night so we know there is some horsepower under the Cuero hood. This game will be difficult for Giddings to win simply because Cuero has more to prove and really has nothing to lose and everything to gain. The tendency is to play up in this circumstance for the underdog while the favored team tends to play down(e.g giving up 40 to Columbus and 22 to Caldwell). If that is the case Friday we could see an upset. This game has huge ramifications for the D25 race and revealing as to how the district will shake out.

I hear you pud on us giving up some points. However, we were resting a few players in those two games on the defensive side of the ball, and possibly some playing down as well after the 3 dog fights. To speak up for our defense and defend against your claims, we held the 3 apparent much better teams to less points than most have held them to. Look at what LH has done to every other opponent they have played since scoring 29 on us. Look at Bellville, they have scored big points on most opponents. It may have been a lack of intensity after the first 3 emotional battles with quality competition. People around here were saying that to finish our first 3 games with one or two wins would be something to build on with our new offense. I could see a lack of intensity no matter how much the coaches push it, the kids were probably expecting a let off in their competition, and let me tell you Columbus came to play against us. It definitely feels like a target has been put on our back since the first 3 games.

But for this week, district play, and a traditional power house coming to town, I would like to think that play with intensity will be at a high for the Buffs. I don't know the status of the few players that have been resting ankles and such, but still believe buffs will look more like buffs from the first 3 games. Pud I think you are trying to wishful think your way into the playoffs. I see you there this year, without us falling to Cuero in a upset.

1st and goal
10-10-2012, 10:07 AM
Make me think about how the Dallas Cowboys feel with every team bringin' their best A game to town...

Pudlugger
10-10-2012, 12:09 PM
No I am not "wishful thinking our team into the playoffs". I just think this could be a trap game for the Buffs. I would like the Buffs to be undefeated when we meet up in the 3rd district game. All the better to knock off a highly ranked team.:stirpot:

buff4ever
10-10-2012, 02:07 PM
No I am not "wishful thinking our team into the playoffs". I just think this could be a trap game for the Buffs. I would like the Buffs to be undefeated when we meet up in the 3rd district game. All the better to knock off a highly ranked team.:stirpot:

Yes, that would be fun to go at it with you guys in that setting. I know that your boys want to beat the ol buffs as bad as anybody, I know you can rub the ol state champ rings in our face, you got that on us, but not beating us in 10 years a whole decade has got to be getting old. Especially since you had us on the ropes a few years ago and we came from behind in the second half. Like many of these teams, we will see LG's best, we will just have to match your intensity and show you who is the best.:stirpot:

Pudlugger
10-10-2012, 03:54 PM
Yes, that would be fun to go at it with you guys in that setting. I know that your boys want to beat the ol buffs as bad as anybody, I know you can rub the ol state champ rings in our face, you got that on us, but not beating us in 10 years a whole decade has got to be getting old. Especially since you had us on the ropes a few years ago and we came from behind in the second half. Like many of these teams, we will see LG's best, we will just have to match your intensity and show you who is the best.:stirpot:

Yep you are correct. Ten years is way too long. My son was starting TE on that team that won district by beating Giddings and he is a grown man now at 26. In 2003 they got a punt blocked for a td and blew the lead to lose by 3 pts and it was all down hill since. I'm sure Coach Kates understands the significance of getting a win in Giddings after a decade drought. I doubt we will try back to back onsides kicks this year LOL. Good luck this Friday and have an injury free game.

regaleagle
10-10-2012, 04:41 PM
I'm just not convinced Giddings is a top-tier team yet. I'd like to see them beat a few teams that can play D and have a good qb that can pass it around. Not even sure they could beat a Robinson or Princeton, or Glen Rose or China Spring, or even Bullard(4-1). I think they will have a tough time of it from here on out just winning each week. And it all starts this Friday with Cuero, who hasn't proven anything on the field this season. And even if they do beat Cuero, in my mind that would in no way justify them as being a top-tier type team. Just too many other teams in 3A this season IMO that have very comparable records with what they had on their schedules, too. As we work toward Weeks 9 and 10, the picture will become less foggy. Now if Giddings can win out from here to be 10-0 come playoff time.....then they will have earned a top-tier team status. But for now, just looking at all the other teams out there that are pretty darn good too, I'd say Giddings still needs to prove their mettle.....at least that's the way I see it.

Dawgfan64
10-10-2012, 04:47 PM
Giddings should dust their home field with Cuero. I say Giddings by 21 points...easily

buff4ever
10-10-2012, 05:10 PM
I'm just not convinced Giddings is a top-tier team yet. I'd like to see them beat a few teams that can play D and have a good qb that can pass it around. Not even sure they could beat a Robinson or Princeton, or Glen Rose or China Spring, or even Bullard(4-1). I think they will have a tough time of it from here on out just winning each week. And it all starts this Friday with Cuero, who hasn't proven anything on the field this season. And even if they do beat Cuero, in my mind that would in no way justify them as being a top-tier type team. Just too many other teams in 3A this season IMO that have very comparable records with what they had on their schedules, too. As we work toward Weeks 9 and 10, the picture will become less foggy. Now if Giddings can win out from here to be 10-0 come playoff time.....then they will have earned a top-tier team status. But for now, just looking at all the other teams out there that are pretty darn good too, I'd say Giddings still needs to prove their mettle.....at least that's the way I see it.

I don't know if someone has said we are a top tier team or if you are responding to non-sense rankings? But I do feel that 5-0 counting the first 3 games of our season is good enough to put us in some discussions atleast. Of the 5-0s and the 4-1's, I would think our schedule is up there in difficulty. Doesn't mean anything yet, and I don't think anyone on here has put us in any top tier status. We possibly are in the toughest district in region 4 from top to bottom, and 4-1 through that district would be great especially if there is not a 5-0 team after district play.

If we can show some improvement in the trenches on both sides of the ball, we will be really hard to stop. I would put our skilled guys with their speed against most.

1st and goal
10-11-2012, 04:27 PM
Man, this board is SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWW! I'm bored.

I guess all that needs to be said has been said.

I have a confession. Both sides of my family are from Cuero although no real close relatives live there now. But I do probably have a host of 42nd cousins living in and around there (on my dad's side). I grew up in Victoria.

I wish I knew more of that side of my family but there was some disconnect when my dad's mother re-married after WWII and moved all the way up to Pennsylvania. She was my only possible connection to these families as my dad flew the coup when I was 9...

OK, I told you I was bored.

Oh, and 2 of my children were born in Lagrange. Since I live in Giddings, that means I have connections to half the towns in the district. Top that.

Old Green
10-11-2012, 08:44 PM
Anybody know the Jr. High scores tonight?

Freshman game
Giddings 48 - Cuero 20

JV game
Cuero 16 - Giddings 0

buff4ever
10-11-2012, 09:57 PM
Anybody know the Jr. High scores tonight?

Freshman game
Giddings 48 - Cuero 20

JV game
Cuero 16 - Giddings 0

Buff 7th grade won 42ish to 20ish. Don't know about 8th grade.

zebrablue2
10-11-2012, 11:36 PM
Best of luck to the BUFFS Friday night!!!

BigGreen61
10-12-2012, 10:43 AM
Everybody ready to see them azz kickin chickens in Giddings tonight? Somebody is going to pay from picking us last in district jus saying

YTBulldogs
10-12-2012, 10:49 AM
Everybody ready to see them azz kickin chickens in Giddings tonight? Somebody is going to pay from picking us last in district jus saying

Season starts tonight BG61. ND meant nothing. See ya'll are healthy for the first time this year. Good luck to Caleb and his fellow Gobblers. Bring the "W" back to Dewitt County.

rojosgirl
10-12-2012, 11:01 AM
Good pep rally at CHS this morning. Big crowd. The folks are ready. Safe travels to all. Good Luck Gobblers!

:wave:

29-3aFAN
10-12-2012, 08:51 PM
27-14 at the half, Giddings

1st and goal
10-12-2012, 10:51 PM
Buffs win 41-28 Cuero's O can move the ball, #20 soph RB is the real deal. Many players playing both ways for Cuero too.

Buffs D would give up some yards, but not many big plays to the house.

Old Green
10-13-2012, 12:28 AM
Good game tonight. Hadn't saw that much speed since the Wharton game. Little 3# Hickey is speed demon.

1stnurseryman
10-13-2012, 02:42 AM
Giddings has a very good team.. This one hurt cuz our boys played so hatd, Gotta get ready for the Dawgs now,,

1stnurseryman
10-13-2012, 02:44 AM
I know I know I can't spell... Hard

gameface
10-13-2012, 07:26 AM
Go job Buffs! Make sure yall have tough skin next week-Apaches have sharp knifes! The diesel Cecil #12 is a very talented running back. He reminds me of Forney's D. Blanton we hammered in 2000 LG State victory!

1st and goal
10-13-2012, 07:52 AM
Our kicker #10, kicked 2 long field goals. I think like a 46 and a 42 maybe?:clap:

YTBulldogs
10-13-2012, 08:07 AM
Looking at the stat's in this one.:thinking:

1st Downs:
Cuero 26
Giddings 9

Total Yards:
Cuero 424
Giddings 403

buff4ever
10-13-2012, 09:03 AM
Looking at the stat's in this one.:thinking:

1st Downs:
Cuero 26
Giddings 9

Total Yards:
Cuero 424
Giddings 403

Short explanation. Took us few plays to score most drives, and we didn't give up the big play as we bent a lot more than we broke. If we could have stopped them quicker a few times we could have scored over 50.

YTBulldogs
10-13-2012, 09:05 AM
Short explanation. Took us few plays to score most drives, and we didn't give up the big play as we bent a lot more than we broke. If we could have stopped them quicker a few times we could have scored over 50.

Kinda what I figured, quick, long scoring plays for ya'll. Thanks.