PDA

View Full Version : Top 5 coaches in Texas HS football

toddg
10-04-2012, 02:38 PM
This is totally opinion oriented..Who makes your top 5 list all-time coaches in Texas hs football lore..? my personal favorites for various reasons.....

mine are:

1.Gordon Wood, total student of the game..has the records and championships, but most impressive about him..class, dignity and was a really nice guy to a kid(me) wandering around from my great-grandmothers house, who lived down the road.

2. G.A Moore, the winningest coach in texas hs football history..nuff said.

3. Todd Dodge, his 79-1 record in 5a @Southlake was impressive..but the impression he left on me as a junior high kid visiting my uncle in PA and hanging around PAJ 2 a days and the star QB taking time to chat was greatness(the only time i rooted against Permian in a SC game, was the one against him).

4. Jim Skinner, great coach with an impressive record, he came to Alvarado and took them 3 rds deep in the playoffs and to the qtr's in consecutive years before moving on in the mid 90's, i didnt have any kids playing at the time, but i met him and was impressed and he renewed my interest in Alvarado football.

5. Jeff Dixon, other than the fact he was on the coaching staff of the team that gave Todd Dodge the 1 after the 79..he came to Alvarado with the intent of building a program that could compete at a high level consistantly, and one to bring the community together with support and pride never before achieved here...2 of my kids are currently in his program with a 3rd coming up..and i couldnt be more excited about the future..!

that is my list, its my personal opinion..im sure you have a list of your alltime texas coaches..lets see it!

Smitty
10-04-2012, 02:50 PM
This is totally opinion oriented..Who makes your top 5 list all-time coaches in Texas hs football lore..? my personal favorites for various reasons.....

mine are:

1.Gordon Wood, total student of the game..has the records and championships, but most impressive about him..class, dignity and was a really nice guy to a kid(me) wandering around from my great-grandmothers house, who lived down the road.

2. G.A Moore, the winningest coach in texas hs football history..nuff said.

3. Todd Dodge, his 79-1 record in 5a @Southlake was impressive..but the impression he left on me as a junior high kid visiting my uncle in PA and hanging around PAJ 2 a days and the star QB taking time to chat was greatness(the only time i rooted against Permian in a SC game, was the one against him).

4. Jim Skinner, great coach with an impressive record, he came to Alvarado and took them 3 rds deep in the playoffs and to the qtr's in consecutive years before moving on in the mid 90's, i didnt have any kids playing at the time, but i met him and was impressed and he renewed my interest in Alvarado football.

5. Jeff Dixon, other than the fact he was on the coaching staff of the team that gave Todd Dodge the 1 after the 79..he came to Alvarado with the intent of building a program that could compete at a high level consistantly, and one to bring the community together with support and pride never before achieved here...2 of my kids are currently in his program with a 3rd coming up..and i couldnt be more excited about the future..!

that is my list, its my personal opinion..im sure you have a list of your alltime texas coaches..lets see it!

Im right there with you on the top three, but the next two are coaches that were two of the greatest motivators ever.

1. Gordon Wood
2. G.A. Moore
3. Todd Dodge
4. Art Briles @ Stephenville
5. Ross Rogers @ A&M Consolidated

toddg
10-04-2012, 03:11 PM
Im right there with you on the top three, but the next two are coaches that were two of the greatest motivators ever.

1. Gordon Wood
2. G.A. Moore
3. Todd Dodge
4. Art Briles @ Stephenville
5. Ross Rogers @ A&M Consolidated

does Navasota have great stats? lol! Art Briles built a program from nothin to 4 SCs and his legacy lives on there..very impressive indeed!

firstdown
10-04-2012, 03:24 PM
1. Gordon Wood
2. Todd Dodge
3. G.A. Moore
4. Hugh Sandifer
5. Art Briles

hollywood
10-04-2012, 03:31 PM
1. Gordon Wood
2. Todd Dodge
3. G.A. Moore
4. Hugh Sandifer
5. Art Briles

I like those 5 as top 5's.

1. Gordon Wood
2. G.A. Moore
3. Todd Dodge
4. Art Briles
5. Hugh Sandifer

Lion70
10-04-2012, 04:17 PM
Dennis Alexander @ troup is 3rd or 4th all time in wins and has a couple of state title with dfield in the 80s. Got to be in the discussion. Coached me at Henderson.

BEAST
10-04-2012, 04:28 PM
A whole lot of good ones. Art Briles is up there with the legends for sure. Sam Harrell while at Ennis. Randy Allen at Highland Park. That is just to name a few.

BEAST

vtskneb
10-04-2012, 04:52 PM
A whole lot of good ones. Art Briles is up there with the legends for sure. Sam Harrell while at Ennis. Randy Allen at Highland Park. That is just to name a few.

BEAST

I would say longevity probably hurts Briles and Harrell in this discussion. When they were HCs they had things really humming and very few others had the decade long runs they had. When you start naming people like Wood, Allen, Moore, et al they did it for 3 and 4 decades. If we include someone like Briles and Harrell you better include Chad Morris too. He has 3 titles in 6 trips to the state game. Finishing up at LT with a 32-0 record. Thanks Sville for the info.

Saggy Aggie
10-04-2012, 06:21 PM
Who was Sealy's coach when they won 4 in a row?

Roughneck93
10-04-2012, 06:32 PM
Who was Sealy's coach when they won 4 in a row?

T.J. Mills

LionFan72
10-05-2012, 08:03 AM
1. Gordon Wood
2. Todd Dodge
3. G.A. Moore
4. Hugh Sandifer
5. Art Briles

Good list, Lots of success there! Question is, would you stake your career on 16-18 year olds year in and year out? Takes a heck of a gambler to roll those dice! Hats off to all coaches, new shoes to fill every year.

jason
10-05-2012, 08:31 AM
no mention of tim buchanan from aledo

vtskneb
10-05-2012, 08:42 AM
no mention of tim buchanan from aledo

That is a solid pick. Also, Keeling at Everman deserves some props.

OLE'BULL
10-05-2012, 09:23 AM
Even though I hate to say it, and wish I could post in anonymously, TJ Mills needs to be in there somewhere. 4 state championships in a row in the mid/late 90's speaks for itself...

Smitty
10-05-2012, 09:29 AM
What was the coaches name from LaMarque back in the 90's, Briles hired him on his coaching staff at UH? He had a pretty darn good run!

Rabid Cougar
10-05-2012, 09:55 AM
Just of a few of the old timers:
Bob McQueen - Temple
Donald Goodwin- Rogers
Curtis Barbay - Newton
Johnny Tusa - Waco
Merrill Green - Bryan
Paul Tyson - Waco

LeonJr
10-05-2012, 10:10 AM
Who's Gordon Wood?

jason
10-05-2012, 10:24 AM
jack welch at copperas cove
turned a basement dweller into a constant contender

produced RG3

Roughneck93
10-05-2012, 10:39 AM
What was the coaches name from LaMarque back in the 90's, Briles hired him on his coaching staff at UH? He had a pretty darn good run!

Alan Weddell. He turned LM into a powerhouse.

OLE'BULL
10-05-2012, 10:55 AM

Alan Waddell (sp?), also coached LB's at Texas A&M before going to UH...

NastySlot
10-05-2012, 02:13 PM

Alan Weddell

NastySlot
10-05-2012, 02:14 PM
Just of a few of the old timers:
Bob McQueen - Temple
Donald Goodwin- Rogers
Curtis Barbay - Newton
Johnny Tusa - Waco
Merrill Green - Bryan
Paul Tyson - Waco

another good old one was Tom Kimbrough at Plano

NastySlot
10-05-2012, 02:15 PM
Chuck Curtis was a good one.

mwrams
10-05-2012, 03:44 PM
Chuck Curtis won 2 SC at Jacksboro and
2 SC at Garland then went on to Cleburne before retiring as the AD at Mineral Wells. I saw him in Mineral Wells the other day.

SintonFan
10-05-2012, 05:30 PM
How about top 5 active coaches?

defense51
10-05-2012, 05:55 PM
1. Gordon Wood
2. G.A. Moore
3. Pete Shotwell
4. Gary Proffit
5. Bob Ledbetter
6. Todd Dodge

crabman
10-05-2012, 06:58 PM
Dan Hooks West Orange Stark
D.W. Rutledge - Judson
Jim Rackley - Judson

Wood, Briles, Dodge, and Mills awful hard to beat. Moore probably the king though.

NastySlot
10-05-2012, 10:22 PM
Chuck Curtis won 2 SC at Jacksboro and
2 SC at Garland then went on to Cleburne before retiring as the AD at Mineral Wells. I saw him in Mineral Wells the other day.

I guess i could look it up but you might be able to save me the time didn't Chuck Curtis win a one of those titles in Jacksboro than move the next season to Garland and won two more in a row?